Menu

Has anyone watched a good documentary lately?

I've been enjoying all of the instant watch Netflix documentaries, and I'm wondering if there's anything out there I should add to my cue?

This week I've watched Helvetica (the font:)) and Between the Folds (about origami, math, art, life...)

Both were fantastic, and I'd like to keep it going because I have all this work I need to do which can be done sitting in front of the tv. :D

Any recommendations?

By the way, Between the Folds has a very cool homeschooler in it!

Actually, he's an adult now. It was very inspiring! If you have kids who love math and science, this is a must see.

Edited by helena

Oh! Spellbound. It's about the National spelling bee and it's a very interesting look at some of the competitors.

Also, the Ken Burns series on the National Parks is on instant view. I just started that one and it's really good.

We just got Netflix and I love it for the same reasons you do.

I'll second Spellbound.

I also recommend Hard Problems, about the US Math Olympiad Team.

Oh, and Wordplay, about competitive crossword puzzle solving.

Has anybody seen The Lottery? It's about a lottery to get into a NYC charter school, and I really want to see it. I live in the back end of nowhere, so I'll probably have to wait for it to be released on DVD.

I'll second Spellbound.

I also recommend Hard Problems, about the US Math Olympiad Team.

Oh, and Wordplay, about competitive crossword puzzle solving.

Has anybody seen The Lottery? It's about a lottery to get into a NYC charter school, and I really want to see it. I live in the back end of nowhere, so I'll probably have to wait for it to be released on DVD.

Third for Spellbound! It's great.

Man on Wire was kind of bizarre but fascinating. It's about the guy that walked on a wire from one of the World Trade Center towers to the other. Images of the towers being built are really heartbreaking. Also, the irony of how easily he and his hapless friends were able to sneak in to the buildings, get on the roof and pull it off makes it tough to watch.

Beth in MD

http://www.facebook.com/homeschoolmaryland

I didn't read the other replies to apologies if this contains repeats.

Born into Brothels: A woman teaches photography to the children of Calcutta prostitutes

The Business of Being Born: documentary about natural childbirth and the nastier side of hospital births

Frontline: The Medicated Child: Downright disturbing account of children being drugged for mental disorders

Commune: About people who lived in a CA commune in the 60's

Sound and Fury: My daughter really liked this one as well. About a family who practically falls apart debating cochlear implants for their deaf children. There's an update but I haven't found a place to watch or rent it

Off the Grid, Life on the Mesa: Really fascinating documentary about people who reject society and make their own way in the desert

Praying with Lior: about a devoutly Jewish boy with Downs syndrome and the community around him. Very touching and sweet.

This week I've watched Helvetica (the font:)) and Between the Folds (about origami, math, art, life...)

Thanks for this -- I've got new ideas now!

I watched one of the What We Eat shows with Burt Wolf; it was interesting, as was A Paralyzing Fear: The Story Of Polio In America.

Paperclips. Not, it's not about paperclips. It's about a ps in TN that did a years-long project to collect enough paperclips to represent all who perished in the Holocaust. I thought it was so cool.

I also saw one on home funerals. I can't remember the title. It was PBS documentary, I think.

Paperclips. Not, it's not about paperclips. It's about a ps in TN that did a years-long project to collect enough paperclips to represent all who perished in the Holocaust. I thought it was so cool.

I also saw one on home funerals. I can't remember the title. It was PBS documentary, I think.

Oh, I've seen both of these and they are good.

I really liked the one about funerals - it was an eye-opener for me even though there were a few parts I couldn't actually watch. It was very moving - highly recommended! I can't remember the name of it either.

This is the one I was going to recommend as well.

We are watching World War I in Color, narrated by Sir Kenneth Branagh right now. We haven't gotten all the way through it yet, but I think it is very well done and highly recommend it.