Menu

How much work is involved in this hairstyle?(pic)

I got a haircut 2 months ago that I've been really disappointed with. Really, I haven't been happy with a haircut in years. Part of the problem is that I never put an effort into styling my hair. I've been a wash and go gal since college. I'm ready to change that. At 40 :D. I'm starting to feel the need to put some more effort in ME!

So, my current cut is driving me nuts. It's nearly shoulder length with some longish layers. Trouble is, I have wavy hair that has a mind of it's own. Some days it doesn't look half bad. Other days (today), I've got these huge deep waves that just look stupid.

I'd like to do something like the picture I've attached. I feel silly for not even knowing how to achieve this :blushing:. I'm assuming I'd need some kind of styling product and use a blow dryer? Will this work with wavy hair? Any suggestions/help appreciated, including suggestions for other styles.

This is only my thought (for what it's worth as I am not a hairstylist!!!)

It looks like you would need to blow dry (for volume) and then use a straightener.

My hair is similiar to this only shorter and I have very wavy hair. I use a root lifter and a lotion for damage caused by a straightener. It doesn't take very long. Straightening takes a little time though.

HTH! :)

There it is! I have wavy hair. If I wanted *that* look, I'd have to use product and blow dry it to straighten the waves every day.

But yes, product/brush/blow dry

It does depend if you have totally straight hair or not. I have wavy hair too but not curly. It's slightly layered - shoulder length and it waves and slightly curls around my face without any work. Wash & go.

There it is! I have wavy hair. If I wanted *that* look, I'd have to use product and blow dry it to straighten the waves every day.

But yes, product/brush/blow dry

What kind of product do you think? Mousse? There is so much "product" out there now! I have many creams and liquids I periodically put in to tame the frizzies and curls in high humidity, but I don't know if that same stuff would work.

My *guess* would be something for straightening and smoothing...but *light* like mousse so it doesn't weigh the look down.

Of course, I will be honest with you and tell you that with my waves, I live in the humidity and I wouldn't get my hopes up too high for it to stay that way all day in summer. LOL!

I have thick, curly hair. I have a haircut similar to your picture.

My stylist thins my hair a bit. I used to be scared of thinning shears but, in the right hands, they are a miracle. My hair just lays so nicely now.

Anyway, to achieve that look I have to blowdry my hair in 2 in. thick sections with a round brush (boars bristle, not just plastic). Then I go over each section with a flatiron. The flatiron isn't absolutely necessary but my hair just has so much volume when straighted. Think Monica Lewinsky big hair.

I use Rusk straightening cream (found it at WalMart with the 'high end' hair care products). Apply to damp hair, especially at the ends. Once hair is styled I lightly spray my brush with hairspray and run it through my hair to tame any flyaways.

This takes me 30+ minutes, so I wear it for 2 to 3 days (3 days is pushing it though).

I have long, thick, slightly wavy hair that's prone to frizzing. I have never been one to fuss with my hair - wash and go all the way. I know at times I had the best of intentions to do more and it never lasted longer than a week or so (my hair takes a good 45 minutes to blow dry - they even comment on it at the hair salon). By now (just turned 41 :glare:) I've resigned myself to the fact that I'm just not the type to fuss with hair and make-up every day. I usually go for cuts that are easy but can be dressed up if I want to put the effort in. Right now I have "feathered" type layers - I do not do the drying and curling required for it to feather but I find this cut dries into a nice brushed-back look. The other thing I do is pull the top part of my hair back into a high pony with the bottom left down. When dry, I can pull it down and it lays nicely without too much kink or frizz.

The style you showed would probably take a lot of time with a round brush and blow dryer. Possibly with some volumizing/straightening products as well. It is possible that the cut would look okay for those days you don't have the time to "do" it.

Edited to add: I found what works best for de-frizzing my hair is Bio Serum. Unfortunately it's $20 something for a tiny bottle so I just skip it these days.

My hairstyle is similar, but a little longer. I have thick, wavy hair (but the kind of wavy that ALWAYS looks frizzy if I don't do anything with it :glare:). I wash it, blow it dry, and use a large barrel iron on it. To curl it, I pin up the top 2/3 and curl the bottom layer, drop down the next 1/3, curl that, then take the top layer (the hair from my forehead to the top back of my head) and curl that in two parts. Then I just run my hands through it to loosen the curl. The only product I use is spray sometimes. If I do this, which takes about 15 minutes or so including blowing it dry, it looks good for about 2 days, probably 3 if I left it that long. ETA - I don't style it when I blow it dry - I just blow it til it's dry.

Edited by LauraGB

Thanks so much for all of your responses! Wow, it actually sounds like it could be more work than I bargained for :glare:. I think I'll start trying a few different things.

I've tried using a round brush and blow drying before. I am not very ambidextrous and ended up getting the brush tangled in my hair :001_rolleyes:. I thought I was going to have to cut the darn thing out! I don't own a curling iron anymore (since that nasty forehead burn in the 80's), but maybe I'll give it a try again.

Ah, well, just another day with mom's "Hermione Hair" as we call it around here :001_smile:.

Yep, I have that hairstyle too. I like it when I have time to do it, but many days I end up putting it up in a ponytail or pulling it back in a clip because I don't want to mess with taking the time to do it. I like it when I do style it, though, because it's almost impossible to mess it up. Sometimes I use a round brush, sometimes I dry it and then us a large barrel curling iron. It doesn't really matter too much which way the brush or curling iron goes--it still looks good when it's done. I have fairly thick hair with a slight wave. It takes a good 20-30 minutes to do from wet to done.

What kind of product do you think? Mousse? There is so much "product" out there now! I have many creams and liquids I periodically put in to tame the frizzies and curls in high humidity, but I don't know if that same stuff would work.

Not mousse!!! You need a straightening creme.

But that style would look great with your wavy hair and some mousse tossed in to give it a full-body, tossled look after blow drying.

I have wavy hair. I gave up on straightening since my state is so humid! I use a product that makes it really curly and I love it!

Edited by jannylynn
typo

What does this mean? :blushing: You mean you style your hair once and it looks like that for 3 days?

Yes, pretty much. I pin it up and use a shower cap to keep it dry in the shower. Sometimes the edges get wet even with a shower cap though; then, I just take a few seconds with the round brush and blow dryer around the edges.

Try going to a salon (not like the Hair Cuttery, but a slightly nicer salon) and ask the person there for ideas. They will be able to see your hair and probably know what kind of cut to give you that needs the least amount of work. Tell them you have no idea what you want and let them find some pictures in their book that would work for you and you pick one.

Then, after they cut it, ask them to talk you through how to style it as they style it for you. (What products they're using, what kind of brush, etc.)

Yes, pretty much. I pin it up and use a shower cap to keep it dry in the shower. Sometimes the edges get wet even with a shower cap though; then, I just take a few seconds with the round brush and blow dryer around the edges.

Lucky!!

Try going to a salon (not like the Hair Cuttery, but a slightly nicer salon) and ask the person there for ideas. They will be able to see your hair and probably know what kind of cut to give you that needs the least amount of work. Tell them you have no idea what you want and let them find some pictures in their book that would work for you and you pick one.

Then, after they cut it, ask them to talk you through how to style it as they style it for you. (What products they're using, what kind of brush, etc.)

This is a good idea. What I really need to find is a male stylist. The styles that have worked best for my hair have always come from male stylists. Unfortunately, while there are plenty (too many) salons in our small town, I don't think any of them have men working there :glare:.

I have very straight, fine hair and have had a cut similar to this. For me, the problem is the bangs. They look so nice and pretty to the side like that but in real life, they will be in your face and eyes without a lot of work. My stylist taught me to always blow dry my bangs first. To blow dry them, she told me to brush them back and forth to both sides on a low speed, and then when it is just a little damp, to focus the dryer on the side you want them to go. It helped a little but without a bunch of product, the bangs drove me crazy every day. Maybe if your hair is thicker or has a natural wave it would stay to the side more easily but I hated them.

*I* think it's cute & sexy, but when I showed dh, he said "too straight. I like your wave" and her teeth "are scary". Thanks. That's very helpful :D.

Never noticed the teeth. lol I have thick , wavy hair past my shoulders, and I will not subject myself to daily blow-outs and straightening. So listen to your dh. :D Maybe you just need to find the right product. lol Not that I have found the right one, but I do Like Bumble & Bumble. :)

ok as a stylist you need thermal protectant redkin all soft whip is good...chi makes a great iron guard it helps with the flyaways friz also a good shampoo is key as well dont use clarifying of you want shine and volume blowdry with the iron guard amd you can use a little potion 9 or equivilant ask your stylist then you can flat iron and places that still seam blah also het a good vent brush fo rthe blowdrying hope it helps

I do agree with the PP who said that those bangs are basically a total PITA. Mine lasted all of a week before I got sick of them being in my eyes constantly and took a pair of scissors to them myself.

I really detest my bangs. Growing them out does nothing, taking a scissors to them does nothing. My sisters, both with thicker, curlier, longer hair, use curling irons *and* flat irons on their bangs to manage them. I simply do not have the patience, so my banks never look as nice as their do. If we all go out or away together, one of them will do my bangs. I always like it, but I can never figure out what they do. Even when I watch in the mirror. A little curlig iron here, a little flat iron there. This product first, then this one. No can do.