Menu

pencils! help!!

Are Ticonderoga pencils really that much better than other pencils? I'm dreading another year of pencils breaking every time we turn around. I vaguely remember a discussion about them a while back and I'm looking for any more updated opinions about them.

Thanks!!

I was told (at Staples) that Ticonderoga pencils are now made in Mexico. There is a difference in the lead. When it's sharpened, it frequently gets wiggly. My little girls call it a "Loose tooth pencil." We're using Black Warriors and mechanical pencils this year. I've always been a "Dixon Ticonderoga #2 soft only" kind of a person but I just couldn't stand tossing out the pieces of lead :/

I think they've changed something... Many here have complained about how down hill they've gone...

Currently' date=' my oldest prefers Paper-Mate Black Warriors. My youngest and I have grown quite fond of mechanical pencils.

hth

K[/quote']

This was our experience w/Ticonderoga, too. Used to be great, but lately, not so much. Our last experience w/Mirado Black Warrior (about a year ago) was very good. We mostly use Paper Mate mechanical pencils (w/0.7 mm lead) anymore.

Cinder

Ticonderoga have gone way down hill since they changed the manufacturing location.

Black Warriors are now on the top of the pencil hierarchy (FYI...they come in black and yellow). I have never had a bad Black Warrior and we have used them for years!

Thanks guys!! I won't waste my money on them. Where do you get Black Warrior pencils?

Wy_kid, I'll look for Dixon ones too. We go through pencils like they're running out of style. LOL!

FYI: Dixon makes Ticonderoga.

Black Warriors are for sale at most places during the school supply season. Walgreen's, Dollar Tree, Walmart, Target etc. They are usually hanging up on tags instead of in boxes. A good price is #6-8/$1.00. Regular price is about $2.50/8. I have seen them for less than a $1 but not often.

We have gone for mechanical pencils, especially for ones who press too hard. Otherwise I stock up on LOTS of whatever when they go on sale super cheap at Walmart. I have a pot of them, and refill whenever needed. I have too much stress in my life to be out of pencils. I buy enough for the whole year and then it's done.

Agreeing with others. I bought a gross of yellow Ticonderoga pencils last year and the entire box was trash. The lead just kept falling out. I just thought the box had been dropped or something, but I see now that it is a bigger problem.

Now I buy black Ticonderoga pencils and they are better.

• 1 month later...

These are our favorites.

But generally, most of us loathe pencils. We weren't even allowed to use pencils in schools when I was growing up in Britain and later here in Grenada. By the age of 7 or 8, we all had to use pens, and preferably fountain/ink pens - which I didn't care for either. Just give me a regular nice medium-point pen and I'm good to go. :)

I've tried a bunch of different brands, including the "big ones". Honestly, the way my kids lose pencils, it doesn't make sense for me to pay more or hunt a brand down. I just grab whatever now.

We did have issues with the pencils Lillian Vernon uses. The kids got a bunch in their stockings one year. But they got lost pretty quickly, too. :glare:

We never thought we'd like mechanical pencils, always had used Ticonderoga..but have the same exp. others have..quality not as good....I bought a two pack of $5 mechanical pencils (they were on sale for $1) and they're awesome! The kids fight over them...so next year when they have their sales at STaples/OD..I'm stocking up on them...I'd never pay $5..but at a buck for 2 and they came with enough lead to last us a year (about 40 stems came with this deal) it's a steal! They have a quality button on the side that extends teh lead out and has grippers like a well made pen...

Tara