Menu

I booked us for the NYC trip!

I was there with my kids a couple of months age. I would spend the money and see Mary Poppins! It was fabulous. The music has new arrangements, and the story changed a little more toward the book. The music, dancing, illusions, laughing, sets, not to be missed. And it really is for all ages. I found a coupon on line for a discount by looking around but had to take a chance at the last minute.

My ds loves museums but at 10 he really enjoyed the armor at the MET (admission is by donation. Whatever you want to pay.)

Let me know what you're thinking about and I could go on and on. :)

You are going to have a great time!

I was there with my kids a couple of months age. I would spend the money and see Mary Poppins! It was fabulous. The music has new arrangements, and the story changed a little more toward the book. The music, dancing, illusions, laughing, sets, not to be missed. And it really is for all ages. I found a coupon on line for a discount by looking around but had to take a chance at the last minute.

My ds loves museums but at 10 he really enjoyed the armor at the MET (admission is by donation. Whatever you want to pay.)

Let me know what you're thinking about and I could go on and on. :)

You are going to have a great time!

I really just want suggestions because I don't know. So you have a ten year old son...he liked Mary Poppins? It is one of the shows my mom just suggested.

We were just at the MoMA on Sunday. It's fun, but you have to be into that kind of thing. We went because I my 8yo tends to think his art 'isn't good enough'. A lot of stuff at the MoMa does sort of look like an 7-8yo did it! He seems to feel better about it now.

Museum of Natural History is alway great. Our friends are coming in next week and we are taking them there. They got great seats for Lion King for only $128 a ticket. If you haven't seen it, it really is incredible. There's a few things on Broadway he may like. I don't remember how old he is. I haven't seen Addams Family yet, but people seem to like it.

I will say the King Tut exhibit was just okay. If you are REALLY into King Tut, then it's great. But if you just like the whole ancient Egypians/mummies in general, then the exhibit at the Met is great. If we didn't have the Met, the King Tut would be great, espeically if it's your only option. But since we'd seen the Met exhibit a few times now, the King Tut wasn't worth the $75 or so.

If you'd done Middle Ages in history recently the Cloisters is great, as well as St. John the Divine. Plus everything at the Met as well.

The Statue of Liberty is great, but between security, travel and crowds, it's an all day event. And you can only go up to the crown if you win the lottery tickets for the day, and I think you have to reserve for those ahead of time. If you just want to see it, plus a lot of other great sites, the Circle Line is a great trip. There are a couple different tours. The last one we did, the 'narrator' (can't think of what else to call him) not only told us history and pointed out sites along the route, but told about the day Cap. Scully landed the plane in the Hudson, and the roles the ferry and Circle Lines played.

It's also located right next to the Intrepid. We went there again on Sunday too. My son loves going and seeing the planes, as well as the inside of the battleship and the Mercury program info.

We were just at the MoMA on Sunday. It's fun, but you have to be into that kind of thing. We went because I my 8yo tends to think his art 'isn't good enough'. A lot of stuff at the MoMa does sort of look like an 7-8yo did it! He seems to feel better about it now.

Museum of Natural History is alway great. Our friends are coming in next week and we are taking them there. They got great seats for Lion King for only $128 a ticket. If you haven't seen it, it really is incredible. There's a few things on Broadway he may like. I don't remember how old he is. I haven't seen Addams Family yet, but people seem to like it.

I will say the King Tut exhibit was just okay. If you are REALLY into King Tut, then it's great. But if you just like the whole ancient Egypians/mummies in general, then the exhibit at the Met is great. If we didn't have the Met, the King Tut would be great, espeically if it's your only option. But since we'd seen the Met exhibit a few times now, the King Tut wasn't worth the $75 or so.

If you'd done Middle Ages in history recently the Cloisters is great, as well as St. John the Divine. Plus everything at the Met as well.

The Statue of Liberty is great, but between security, travel and crowds, it's an all day event. And you can only go up to the crown if you win the lottery tickets for the day, and I think you have to reserve for those ahead of time. If you just want to see it, plus a lot of other great sites, the Circle Line is a great trip. There are a couple different tours. The last one we did, the 'narrator' (can't think of what else to call him) not only told us history and pointed out sites along the route, but told about the day Cap. Scully landed the plane in the Hudson, and the roles the ferry and Circle Lines played.

It's also located right next to the Intrepid. We went there again on Sunday too. My son loves going and seeing the planes, as well as the inside of the battleship and the Mercury program info.

I'd love to go to Mof Natural History.....ds wants to go to the zoo!!!!! Nooooo!!!!!!! Not enough time for that...

We just stopped in NYC for a couple of days on our trip up the East coast. All the kids LOVED the Statue of Liberty (but were pretty bored with Ellis Island). We also went to the Metropolitan Museum of Art, and they were pretty into that, too, especially the armor and the Greek and Roman stuff.

When are you visiting? Have you been here before? What sort of things do you and/or your son like to do? Oh, and in what neighborhood are you staying?

As a general matter, Time Out New York Kids (they're online) is a great resource for all kinds of kids' events and attractions.

The Met is quite extraordinary, but I always find AMNH totally overwhelming. With an older child, though, it's presumably much more manageable. However, although the museums are great, I wouldn't overdo the time there at the expense of getting the chance to walk around different neighborhoods, especially if the weather is good. One of my favorite walks is across the Brooklyn Bridge -- you could start with dim sum in Chinatown, walk down to the bridge, walk across, explore DUMBO and/or Brooklyn Heights (Jacques Torres chocolate in DUMBO is not to be missed, IMHO) and then take the subway back. David McCullough's book on the Brooklyn Bridge is even available on audiotape if you wanted to do a little pre-trip educational stuff :)

Also agree that the King Tut exhibit isn't really worth it. I also wouldn't bother with the Central Park zoo if you're coming from out of town -- my city kids love it, but as far as zoos go it's nothing special.

Edited by JennyD

We went a couple of years ago around Christmastime. Some of the highlights of our trip were taking a horse-drawn carriage ride in central park, FAO Schwartz, the Empire State Building, seeing the Rockettes at Radio City Music Hall, the Metropolitan Museum of Art, the Museum of Natural History and eating in a French restaurant. Oh, also Union Station. That was pretty neat.

We did the Tut exhibit when it was in Philadelphia and my kids were young (maybe 6 and 8 years old), but they loved it. We were studying ancient Egypt at the time, though. They got the headphones and listened to the audio tour and we all really enjoyed it. For me, it was really special because my grandmother had taken me to see it when I was a little girl.

Lisa

We take the Staten Island Ferry from Battery Park to Staten Island and back. It's free, you get closer to the Statue of Liberty and see the skyline of Manhattan. If you go to the SOL in the summer you need to be on the first boat over or wait in line for the boat and again to get into the statue. It can take hours.

We enjoy eating in and roaming China Town, Museum of Natural History, and the MET. There is a playground outside the MET in the park, the Central Park Zoo is small and fun if you need a kid break.

My dd14 and I just went to NYC with a homeschool group. If you don't mind something educational, which I'm sure you don't, I would suggest the Tenement Museum. We did the track that had an actor portraying a Greek immigrant named Victoria Confino. Her family actually lived in the tenements around 1916. There are other tracks you can choose (an Irish Catholic family, Jewish families, etc); they all seem fascinating. I'm not sure about rules concerning posting websites here, but if you do a search for tenement museum it will pull up the page. The link for tours provides all the information about the various tours. It was a really neat experience.

Besides that, we saw Lion King - it was incredible. We went to the top of the Rockefeller Center (Top of the Rock tour). Great views, and the lines are much better than the Empire State Bldg. You basically have to wait in a line to change to another line, etc, etc for the Empire tour. Rockefeller is less crowded and much shorter wait times.

The American Museum of Natural History was incredible - far too much to see in the day that we slated for it.

Ellis Island and the Statue of Liberty were educational and fun for my dd. We did the audio tour of Ellis Island, and it was worth it.

*An extra note about this part of our trip - our tour coordinator booked us at a hotel (Embassy Suites) in New Jersey (roomier, cheaper, clean with a free breakfast buffet - including pancakes and omelet station). It was easy getting into the city, but the major thing I noticed was that by going in the morning to Ellis and the Statue, from the New Jersey side (instead of NY side), we encountered far less traffic for the ferry. We got in and out, and got to NY by ferry after the tours, in time for a not so late lunch (1, maybe?). Meanwhile, the line on the NY side by that time of day to board the ferry for Ellis and the Statue was INSANE! No way I would have stood on it...I mean, it wrapped around and around the Battery Park. So, if you stay on the NJ side, that is a help, but if not, I still recommend go early, very early - and make those two things your first thing to do that day.

Sorry I've rambled, hope some of this helps! Have a great time!

We take the Staten Island Ferry from Battery Park to Staten Island and back. It's free, you get closer to the Statue of Liberty and see the skyline of Manhattan. If you go to the SOL in the summer you need to be on the first boat over or wait in line for the boat and again to get into the statue. It can take hours.

:iagree: Avoid things that you have to stand in line for!

Another way to see the harbor (but not free) is the Circle Line cruise on the Zephyr -- a comfortable hydrofoil -- that leaves from the South Street Seaport. It is a one hour cruise that goes around the tip of Manhattan and up the west side to about the 40's. (That gives you all the great views. There is another, separate Circle Line that goes all around Manhattan and takes a long time.)

http://www.circlelinedowntown.com/zephyr.asp

You can get great views of the Statue of Liberty & Ellis Island from the World Financial Center (part of the WTC complex) -- there is a boardwalk, lots of places to get food and a nearby playground. If you are in the WTC area, don't miss the Eleven Tears memorial.

http://www.nyc-arts.org/organizations/2446/eleven-tears-memorial

If you are in midtown, you might like the NY Public Library main branch (42nd street) -- the building with the lions in front. The main reading rooms are especially impressive, and it's free.

If you are in NYC on a Saturday, the Greenmarket on Union Square is amazing (even if you don't buy anything), and The Strand -- a giant used bookstore -- is nearby.

Edited by Alessandra

The top of the Empire State Building

Visiting Ground Zero

A Broadway show

The Museum of Natural History

The Circle Line boat tour around Manhattan

A visit to the Statue of Liberty

There are so many wonderful places to eat in NYC it's difficult to recommend one or two places.

The zoo is in the Bronx and can be time consuming to get there. I'd skip it unless you have a lot of time.

The top of the Empire State Building

Visiting Ground Zero

A Broadway show

The Museum of Natural History

The Circle Line boat tour around Manhattan

A visit to the Statue of Liberty

There are so many wonderful places to eat in NYC it's difficult to recommend one or two places.

The zoo is in the Bronx and can be time consuming to get there. I'd skip it unless you have a lot of time.

This is a great list and the sort that I am leaning toward...

:iagree: Avoid things that you have to stand in line for!

Another way to see the harbor (but not free) is the Circle Line cruise on the Zephyr -- a comfortable hydrofoil -- that leaves from the South Street Seaport. It is a one hour cruise that goes around the tip of Manhattan and up the west side to about the 40's. (That gives you all the great views. There is another, separate Circle Line that goes all around Manhattan and takes a long time.)

http://www.circlelinedowntown.com/zephyr.asp

You can get great views of the Statue of Liberty & Ellis Island from the World Financial Center (part of the WTC complex) -- there is a boardwalk, lots of places to get food and a nearby playground. If you are in the WTC area, don't miss the Eleven Tears memorial.

http://www.nyc-arts.org/organizations/2446/eleven-tears-memorial

If you are in midtown, you might like the NY Public Library main branch (42nd street) -- the building with the lions in front. The main reading rooms are especially impressive, and it's free.

If you are in NYC on a Saturday, the Greenmarket on Union Square is amazing (even if you don't buy anything), and The Strand -- a giant used bookstore -- is nearby.

Oh I always wanted to go in the building with the lions! Good suggestion!

My dd14 and I just went to NYC with a homeschool group. If you don't mind something educational, which I'm sure you don't, I would suggest the Tenement Museum. We did the track that had an actor portraying a Greek immigrant named Victoria Confino. Her family actually lived in the tenements around 1916. There are other tracks you can choose (an Irish Catholic family, Jewish families, etc); they all seem fascinating. I'm not sure about rules concerning posting websites here, but if you do a search for tenement museum it will pull up the page. The link for tours provides all the information about the various tours. It was a really neat experience.

Besides that, we saw Lion King - it was incredible. We went to the top of the Rockefeller Center (Top of the Rock tour). Great views, and the lines are much better than the Empire State Bldg. You basically have to wait in a line to change to another line, etc, etc for the Empire tour. Rockefeller is less crowded and much shorter wait times.

The American Museum of Natural History was incredible - far too much to see in the day that we slated for it.

Ellis Island and the Statue of Liberty were educational and fun for my dd. We did the audio tour of Ellis Island, and it was worth it.

*An extra note about this part of our trip - our tour coordinator booked us at a hotel (Embassy Suites) in New Jersey (roomier, cheaper, clean with a free breakfast buffet - including pancakes and omelet station). It was easy getting into the city, but the major thing I noticed was that by going in the morning to Ellis and the Statue, from the New Jersey side (instead of NY side), we encountered far less traffic for the ferry. We got in and out, and got to NY by ferry after the tours, in time for a not so late lunch (1, maybe?). Meanwhile, the line on the NY side by that time of day to board the ferry for Ellis and the Statue was INSANE! No way I would have stood on it...I mean, it wrapped around and around the Battery Park. So, if you stay on the NJ side, that is a help, but if not, I still recommend go early, very early - and make those two things your first thing to do that day.

Sorry I've rambled, hope some of this helps! Have a great time!

Wow, what a lot of info....thank you so much!

We enjoy eating in and roaming China Town, Museum of Natural History, and the MET. There is a playground outside the MET in the park, the Central Park Zoo is small and fun if you need a kid break.

Great to know!

When are you visiting? Have you been here before? What sort of things do you and/or your son like to do? Oh, and in what neighborhood are you staying?

We are staying in NJ at a Mariotte. Never been there before. My ds is 10 and we will be with a tour but have some free time. Traveling with my parents but they won't insist on doing everything we do as they will tire out sooner.

As far as what I want to do...things that you can only do in NYC! The tour brochure kept mentioning the Outlet Mall across the street....and I'm thinking 'I don't want to shop an Outlet Mall!'

The Met is quite extraordinary, but I always find AMNH totally overwhelming. With an older child, though, it's presumably much more manageable. However, although the museums are great, I wouldn't overdo the time there at the expense of getting the chance to walk around different neighborhoods, especially if the weather is good. One of my favorite walks is across the Brooklyn Bridge -- you could start with dim sum in Chinatown, walk down to the bridge, walk across, explore DUMBO and/or Brooklyn Heights (Jacques Torres chocolate in DUMBO is not to be missed, IMHO) and then take the subway back. David McCullough's book on the Brooklyn Bridge is even available on audiotape if you wanted to do a little pre-trip educational stuff :)

Also agree that the King Tut exhibit isn't really worth it. I also wouldn't bother with the Central Park zoo if you're coming from out of town -- my city kids love it, but as far as zoos go it's nothing special.

Good stuff! Exactly what I want to know...very helpful.

We are staying in NJ at a Mariotte. Never been there before. My ds is 10 and we will be with a tour but have some free time. Traveling with my parents but they won't insist on doing everything we do as they will tire out sooner.

As far as what I want to do...things that you can only do in NYC! The tour brochure kept mentioning the Outlet Mall across the street....and I'm thinking 'I don't want to shop an Outlet Mall!'

Good stuff! Exactly what I want to know...very helpful.

No, I don't find NYC the place I want to spend much time shopping. There is too much to see and eat!

I just wanted to say I'm so excited for you!

I've lived in NYC my whole life and I love to hear about people coming to visit for the first time. Please don't forget to tell us everything you did!

I think the suggestions everyone gave are fantastic and are perfect. But as a true native, I want to mention a few other things:

• Don't be afraid to take the subway. It's safe, cheap, and quick.
  • The food sold in the street carts is really good. Again, safe, cheap, and quick, lol.
  • People walk really fast here.
  • Wear your pocketbook across your shoulder and always keep one hand on it.
  • Don't forget to visit Times Square. There's a wonderful Toys R Us there that you don't want to miss (it's unlike any other).
  • Boat rides around NY Harbor are the best.
  • Any Broadway show you choose will be an amazing experience.
  • See if you can make it to the Sony Wonder Lab. It's free and so incredible.
  • You're not planning on driving in Manhattan, are you?

I just wanted to say I'm so excited for you!

I've lived in NYC my whole life and I love to hear about people coming to visit for the first time. Please don't forget to tell us everything you did!

I think the suggestions everyone gave are fantastic and are perfect. But as a true native, I want to mention a few other things:

• Don't be afraid to take the subway. It's safe, cheap, and quick.
  • The food sold in the street carts is really good. Again, safe, cheap, and quick, lol.
  • People walk really fast here.
  • Wear your pocketbook across your shoulder and always keep one hand on it.
  • Don't forget to visit Times Square. There's a wonderful Toys R Us there that you don't want to miss (it's unlike any other).
  • Boat rides around NY Harbor are the best.
  • Any Broadway show you choose will be an amazing experience.
  • See if you can make it to the Sony Wonder Lab. It's free and so incredible.
  • You're not planning on driving in Manhattan, are you?

No not driving in Manhattan....I am not driving anywhere except to the airport here in my own city :tongue_smilie: We are going via a packaged tour and we really only have about 2 1/2 days 'free'. I am not sure how much of what is being listed here we can possible fit in, but I just want a big list of stuff to pick from.....to show ds...I am going to do a NYC unit study before we go.

I cannot imagine living my entire life in NYC! I bet you can't imagine the rurals of AR either though. :001_huh:

I think you can get your son excited about the trip but I'm not sure he can really comprehend the choices. For instance the MET on paper could make some peoples eyes roll but get them to the Ancient Egypt section and it all changes. Also look on-line. There are interactive sites that go with the museums. It makes my eyes roll when some of the high school groups around here skip museums in NYC and go to Old Navy. :001_rolleyes: I think as you read and get ideas you will work out a great plan. It's easy to spend a couple of hours doing something then go play some or go to a coffee shop and get ready for another couple of hours. If you want to keep costs down back some snacks. We take granola bars and water bottles.

My 10 year old son loved Mary Poppins. The Lion King is another good one for boys.

Dave & Busters in Times Square-so much fun! You can just go to play games. You don't have to eat there.

Chinatown-definitely worth walking around and sampling the food

Jekyll & Hyde restaurant-themed restaurant, my kids love this place

Dylans Candy Bar

Central Park Zoo is small but really nice

Museum of Natural History is my sons hands down favorite.

My 10 year old son loved Mary Poppins. The Lion King is another good one for boys.

Dave & Busters in Times Square-so much fun! You can just go to play games. You don't have to eat there.

Chinatown-definitely worth walking around and sampling the food

Jekyll & Hyde restaurant-themed restaurant, my kids love this place

Dylans Candy Bar

Central Park Zoo is small but really nice

Museum of Natural History is my sons hands down favorite.

Thank you! I am getting so much good info..and just want to say that I'd love for everyone to post their favs even if it is the same as what has been posted...the more I see the same thing over and over on everyone's favorites list the more I'm inclined to believe it is a 'must do.'

Thank you! I am getting so much good info..and just want to say that I'd love for everyone to post their favs even if it is the same as what has been posted...the more I see the same thing over and over on everyone's favorites list the more I'm inclined to believe it is a 'must do.'

Ok, my recommendations:

American Museum of Natural History (The 1st floor Hall of Biodiversity & Hall of Ocean Life and the 4th floor Dinosaurs)

The Met Museum's Egyptian and Medieval areas on the first floor. You can do both museums in one day - go early and after a couple of hours at one, walk directly across Central Park to the other. Don't try and see all that's in the museum. Print out a map of both to choose what you'd like to see or you could just use our recommendations!

The Lion King was probably my favorite Broadway show - perfect for a 10y/o boy. If you're going to a show, that's the day you can walk over to the NY Public Library to see Patience and Fortitude (the lions :) - see and you'll even be keeping with the Lion King theme, lol). You'll find them on 42nd St and 5th Avenue. Thankfully Manhattan is set up like a grid - it's easy to find streets!

If you're in the mood for some walking around and experiencing some great NYC, then Chinatown and Little Italy are awesome. Then wander down to the South Street Seaport to explore around and then have dinner there. You can do the walking stuff in half a day (early afternoon to mid-evening - maybe like 1pm to 7pm). Then you can do a nice boat ride (at 9pm-ish) around NY Harbor during the evening that leaves right out of the Seaport. The city and the Statue of Liberty are so beautiful at night from the water. The Zephyr harbor cruise (Circle Line) is only $20 for adults and $12 for kids for 1 hour.

Edited by Abkjw01

Ok, my recommendations:

American Museum of Natural History (The 1st floor Hall of Biodiversity & Hall of Ocean Life and the 4th floor Dinosaurs)

The Met Museum's Egyptian and Medieval areas on the first floor. You can do both museums in one day - go early and after a couple of hours at one, walk directly across Central Park to the other. Don't try and see all that's in the museum. Print out a map of both to choose what you'd like to see or you could just use our recommendations!

The Lion King was probably my favorite Broadway show - perfect for a 10y/o boy. If you're going to a show, that's the day you can walk over to the NY Public Library to see Patience and Fortitude (the lions :) - see and you'll even be keeping with the Lion King theme, lol). You'll find them on 42nd St and 5th Avenue. Thankfully Manhattan is set up like a grid - it's easy to find streets!

If you're in the mood for some walking around and experiencing some great NYC, then Chinatown and Little Italy are awesome. Then wander down to the South Street Seaport to explore around and then have dinner there. You can do the walking stuff in half a day (early afternoon to mid-evening - maybe like 1pm to 7pm). Then you can do a nice boat ride (at 9pm-ish) around NY Harbor during the evening that leaves right out of the Seaport. The city and the Statue of Liberty are so beautiful at night from the water. The Zephyr harbor cruise (Circle Line) is only $20 for adults and $12 for kids for 1 hour.

Wow. Thank you. So helpful.....

• 2 months later...

Well, countdown begins! We leave the house for the airport at 4:45 Saturday a.m. Here is our list so far

Saturday---arrive---hope to hook up with others on tour and do something....

Sunday---bus tour into Manhattan---they let us out of the bus and we meet back up at 5:00 or find our own way back to hotel...I hope to go to Times Square this day and see the Toys RUs store....and whatever else.....

Monday---all day is booked with prearranged tour

Tuesday--morning booked with tour...afternoon going on a ferry ride to see SOL and Ellis Island.....I think. Does that make sense? Hope to get to Empire State building at night for good viewing.

Wednesday--free all day.....Have tickets for Mary Poppins at 2:00. Hope to do MONH that morning....

Flying home Thursday.

Thanks for all the tips! Can't wait!!!