Menu

Sugar less frozen treats - where can I find recipes?

I am searching online for recipes for some kind of frozen treat but the recipes I find either call for sugar or a sugar substitute. Do you have any ideas?

I have searched under sugarless, sugar free, healthy, organic, etc. Am I missing something? Please help, my brain is sugar/sweet deprived and I am not thinking properly.;)

Is fruit okay? If you have a good blender, you can just blend any combination of frozen fruit that you like, with water, milk, or coconut milk as the liquid. (Juice is an option too, but I prefer not to use it because the ratio of sugar is much higher than with whole fruits that include the fiber.) I particularly like frozen mango and plain yogurt (add water, if necessary) or coconut milk. If you throw some fresh grapes in with less sweet fruits, it tends to sweeten the whole -- not a lot, but enough to be appealing. If you have a really heavy duty blender (like a VitaMix) or a fantastic food processor, you can skip the liquids completely or almost completely and make "sorbet" by just blending frozen fruit. Peaches, strawberries, other berries, and mangoes especially work great for this.

Personally, I *loathe* bananas, but if you feel differently ;) you might enjoy slicing and freezing banana to make frozen banana chips. Grapes can be frozen whole and enjoyed as a sort of popsicle substitute.

Is fruit okay? If you have a good blender, you can just blend any combination of frozen fruit that you like, with water, milk, or coconut milk as the liquid. (Juice is an option too, but I prefer not to use it because the ratio of sugar is much higher than with whole fruits that include the fiber.) I particularly like frozen mango and plain yogurt (add water, if necessary) or coconut milk. If you throw some fresh grapes in with less sweet fruits, it tends to sweeten the whole -- not a lot, but enough to be appealing. If you have a really heavy duty blender (like a VitaMix) or a fantastic food processor, you can skip the liquids completely or almost completely and make "sorbet" by just blending frozen fruit. Peaches, strawberries, other berries, and mangoes especially work great for this.

Personally, I *loathe* bananas, but if you feel differently ;) you might enjoy slicing and freezing banana to make frozen banana chips. Grapes can be frozen whole and enjoyed as a sort of popsicle substitute.

Thanks for the ideas. I love the idea of a frozen yogurt but yogurt contains either sugar, high fructose corn syrup, aspartame or sucralose.

I'm going to go to the grocery store and see what I can find. I am hoping to find something.

Thanks for the ideas. I love the idea of a frozen yogurt but yogurt contains either sugar, high fructose corn syrup, aspartame or sucralose.

I'm going to go to the grocery store and see what I can find. I am hoping to find something.

Look for plain, organic yogurt. You should be able to find plenty with no sugar added (just the natural milk sugars).

Not sure exactly what you are looking for, but you can make popsicles with real juice.

If someone could tell me how to make lemonade without sugar or a sugar substitute I would be forever grateful. I tried water, lemon juice and a little bit of honey and it was gross. I thought it would be good because that's what I drink hot when I'm sick. It didn't taste good at all, so either my mix was off or that's something that needs to be served hot.

I love to drink plain water with just one lime squeezed in it. Maybe it's an acquired taste.

I also like to eat a few spoonfuls of coconut milk (the thick stuff) with a handful of blueberries.

You can also mix coconut milk (the thick stuff) with pineapple juice (100%) and blend with ice and make a virgin daiquiri.

If someone could tell me how to make lemonade without sugar or a sugar substitute I would be forever grateful. I tried water, lemon juice and a little bit of honey and it was gross. I thought it would be good because that's what I drink hot when I'm sick. It didn't taste good at all, so either my mix was off or that's something that needs to be served hot.

STEVIA!!! It's AWESOME with lemons for lemonade! I love stevia sweetened drinks as long as they don't have milk or cream in them. I make the family sweetened herbal teas and lemonade using stevia, and they have NO idea it's not sugar. Stevia is a plant and supposedly promotes healthy teeth.

Are you staying away from carbs? Is this for a diet or for weightloss? One of my FAVORITE treats is frozen organic grapes! I always have them in the freezer during the summer.

You could make some frozen lemonade, put it in bowls or cups, and scrape away at it with a spoon. Try this also with raspberries and strawberries. YUMMY!!!!

I haven't been on much for several days so I may have missed something. I need to know if you're staying away from ALL sugars. Frozen grapes are YUMMY but grapes have a VERY high sugar content. If you want sweet yogurt, try it with agave. Agave won't cause a sugar spike. If it's that you want a natural sweetener, we LOVE plain yogurt with raw honey or maple syrup. We eat plain, organic yogurt with nuts and/or seeds, and raw honey regularly. Mmmmmmmmmmm.

ETA: Not all stevia is the same. I have the NOW brand right now and am happy with it. Not all stevia tastes good.

Look for plain, organic yogurt. You should be able to find plenty with no sugar added (just the natural milk sugars).

Ditto this---it doesn't even have to be organic to avoid the sugar/sweeteners. I prefer either lowfat or whole milk in plain yogurt as the higher the fat content, the less tangy. I really like the Trader Joes organic for best lowfat. I mix it with dried apple chips and cinnamon or plain fresh or frozen berries (I find the wild blueberries from TJ's have a better texture than regular frozen blueberries---the skins don't get tough). Any kind of pureed or chunked/mashed fruit would work---I like the bananas mashed in it. We've done unsweetened applesauce and cinnamon in it, but I haven't frozen that yet.

The lactose is primarily in the whey, so if you get Greek style plain or strain the regular you will get less of even the natural sugars (and a higher percentage of the protein per serving). My husband likes the 0% fat TJ's greek yogurt, but I find it tastes chalky to me.

Are you staying away from carbs? Is this for a diet or for weightloss? One of my FAVORITE treats is frozen organic grapes! I always have them in the freezer during the summer.

I haven't been on much for several days so I may have missed something. I need to know if you're staying away from ALL sugars.

I have Aspartame poisoning and am halfway through my 60 day detox. I cannot have any artificial sweeteners (Aspartame, Sweet N Low, Splenda, etc) for the duration.

Someone on here suggested a 30 Day Sugar Free Challenge so I joined in with that. I don't know what I was thinking. I don't know how everyone else is faring but it's becoming increasingly difficult for me to do this.

I went to the grocery store and wanted to cry like a baby, so many things have HFCS, sugar or sugar derivatives in it.

I found fruit strips that are sugar free. I think I can substitute those for when I crave a candy bar. I already ate two and they are yummy (45 cals, 0 fat, 2 g fiber). I also found All Natural yogurt that does not have sugar in it. Thank you ladies for telling me to go look.

I bought some 100% cranberry juice and I will make frozen pops with that.

This is a start anyway. Thanks again forhte suggestions. If you have any more please keep them coming.

Edited by The Dragon Academy

Can you have dairy? Dh's favorite treat is unsweetened whipped cream with berries. He sometimes adds vanilla extract for flavoring. This is real whipped cream, not cool whip or the stuff in the can. Just use heavy whipping cream to do this.

Cinder

Stonyfield PLAIN yogurt doesn't have any sugar added.

CULTURED PASTEURIZED ORGANIC NONFAT MILK, PECTIN, VITAMIN D3. CONTAINS OUR EXCLUSIVE BLEND OF SIX LIVE ACTIVE CULTURES: S. THERMOPHILUS, L. BULGARICUS, L. ACIDOPHILUS, BIFIDUS, L. CASEI, AND L. RHAMNOSUS.

Can you have dairy? Dh's favorite treat is unsweetened whipped cream with berries. He sometimes adds vanilla extract for flavoring. This is real whipped cream, not cool whip or the stuff in the can. Just use heavy whipping cream to do this.

Cinder

Oh yeah, I'm still doing dairy. I never thought of the real whipping cream. That's always been a high calorie no-no. Time to rethink the dairy aisle.

I just throw grapes or other fruit into the freezer and eat them. My kids like it better than popsicles.

My kids also like frozen corn and frozen peas to snack on when it's hot out. Frozen grapes are great, cherries are awesome and blueberries are pretty great too. :D

The only thing I don't like is frozen strawberries.

I have Aspartame poisoning and am halfway through my 60 day detox. I cannot have any artificial sweeteners (Aspartame, Sweet N Low, Splenda, etc) for the duration.

Someone on here suggested a 30 Day Sugar Free Challenge so I joined in with that. I don't know what I was thinking. I don't know how everyone else is faring but it's becoming increasingly difficult for me to do this.

I went to the grocery store and wanted to cry like a baby, so many things have HFCS, sugar or sugar derivatives in it.

I found fruit strips that are sugar free. I think I can substitute those for when I crave a candy bar. I already ate two and they are yummy (45 cals, 0 fat, 2 g fiber). I also found All Natural yogurt that does not have sugar in it. Thank you ladies for telling me to go look.

This is a start anyway. Thanks again forhte suggestions. If you have any more please keep them coming.

Oh, I'm sorry! I do remember reading about your aspartame poisoning! NASTY!!!

Stevia is a herb and you can make delicious lemonade with it. I also second the Stonyfield. It's a staple in the house all the time. I prefer to buy the plain and dc add maple syrup or raw honey. I read agave nectar won't increase the blood sugar, but I'd recommend the lighter kind, not the deeper, browner kind.

Have you tried to eat fruit to rid yourself of sugar cravings? I was surprised at how well it worked.

Keep us posted!

This is a smoothie recipe, but it can be frozen too. I haven't managed to freeze them yet, because my tiny little freezer seems to always be too full.

Blend together and serve in a tall glass:

3/4 cup cooked or canned pumpkin

1 cup low fat milk

1 cup low fat vanilla yogurt

A dash of pumpkin pie spice or cinnamon

*Note that I use the PLAIN not vanilla yogurt. I'm so used to low or no sugar treats that I don't notice. I just add a few drops of vanilla extract.

I went to the grocery store and wanted to

You might try sweetening your lemonade with strawberry or raspberry puree.

100% cranberry juice is really, really sour. I can drink it diluted with ice water and like it that way, but can't drink it straight. If you make popsicles, you might want to try some with diluted juice or mix it with something sweeter like oj or grape juice.

This is a smoothie recipe, but it can be frozen too. I haven't managed to freeze them yet, because my tiny little freezer seems to always be too full.

1 cup low fat milk

*Note that I use the PLAIN not vanilla yogurt. I'm so used to low or no sugar treats that I don't notice. I just add a few drops of vanilla extract.

This sounds wonderful--I am going to whip up a batch tonight!

Stonyfield PLAIN yogurt doesn't have any sugar added.

CULTURED PASTEURIZED ORGANIC NONFAT MILK, PECTIN, VITAMIN D3. CONTAINS OUR EXCLUSIVE BLEND OF SIX LIVE ACTIVE CULTURES: S. THERMOPHILUS, L. BULGARICUS, L. ACIDOPHILUS, BIFIDUS, L. CASEI, AND L. RHAMNOSUS.

Dannon Plain lists only cultured grade A milk (whole, the lowfat includes pectin).

1 cup low fat milk

I have pumpkin on hand. I will try this tonight. Thanks for the recipe.

I do plain yogurt (Greek or Stonyfield) with frozen fruit in the blender. They are easy and yummy.

I do the same. Sometimes, they drink them as smoothies or I freeze them into popsicles. If you need a little sweetener and can use honey, I have been known to put a little of that in the blender with the fruit and yogurt as well.

STEVIA!!! It's AWESOME with lemons for lemonade! I love stevia sweetened drinks as long as they don't have milk or cream in them. I make the family sweetened herbal teas and lemonade using stevia, and they have NO idea it's not sugar. Stevia is a plant and supposedly promotes healthy teeth.

You could make some frozen lemonade, put it in bowls or cups, and scrape away at it with a spoon. Try this also with raspberries and strawberries. YUMMY!!!!

I haven't been on much for several days so I may have missed something. I need to know if you're staying away from ALL sugars. Frozen grapes are YUMMY but grapes have a VERY high sugar content. If you want sweet yogurt, try it with agave. Agave won't cause a sugar spike. If it's that you want a natural sweetener, we LOVE plain yogurt with raw honey or maple syrup. We eat plain, organic yogurt with nuts and/or seeds, and raw honey regularly. Mmmmmmmmmmm.

ETA: Not all stevia is the same. I have the NOW brand right now and am happy with it. Not all stevia tastes good.

Ditto Stevia. I make iced tea with decaf green tea and Stevia. Yum!

• 3 weeks later...

The best frozen treat I have concocted has been a blueberry freez.

Blueberries

plain yougurt (no sugar, of course)

honey

It is really yummy!

I also found these delicious raspberry flavored licorice candies that do not contain sugar. They are made by Panda. Unfortunately they are fairly expensive so they are not a treat I can have regularly. So far the best thing I have found that satisfies my sweet tooth and is budget friendly are Sunsweet pitted prunes. Plus I get the added benefit of regularity!!