Menu

If you are a church goer, your opinion would be appreciated

That's what I was commenting on (not the exception for visitors). I don't know of any churches that don't "allow" children in the sanctuary during the teaching or any other part, even if they have separate children's programs.

Our family was asked to leave a Calvary Chapel for trying to keep our children with us in the service. They weren't making any noise and are well-versed in proper church behavior. Dh wrote a letter to the pastor and never got a response. I generally tell people not to go, as it's obviously not a family-friendly church.

Hey I'm curious.. most of this thread is specific to various Christian denominations... but what about others? For instance, if someone wanted to visit a mosque or a synagogue or a... what do they call the meeting places of Buddhists? Temples? (that's the word that comes to mind) or whatever ... does anyone know if that kind of thing is allowed? has anyone ever gone to visit anywhere like that?

I'm not going to speak for other denominations, but if you visit a tradition Missouri-Synod Lutheran Church, they sing the liturgy, have the robes, light the candles, sometimes do a procession, have confession, communion, etc...

No one would bother you and you can keep your kids with you the entire time, in fact, after a certain age, the kids are expected to participate in service.

Don't take communion, but a lot of people sit out communion - so don't feel funny. Some people don't take communion when they are sick or upset. I don't take communion without my husband - usually.

Lutheran services are usually about an hour long and there is usually a collection towards the end. You wouldn't be ousted for just passing on collection if you wanted (I've done that a couple of times too - forget my envelope, broke, etc). Services are usually really quiet and kinda serene (I think it's relaxing). They usually sing liturgy from the bulletin or follow the Lutheran Order of Service in the front of the Hymnals. Either way, everything is completely written out for you to follow.

Good luck with your Quest! :D

It is totally fine to do what you are planning. If you want to be more or less anonymous, choose a larger church. At a small church, everyone will know each other and you'll stick out as "new" and people will focus on interacting with you. At a larger church with multiple services, people will likely politely interact but they may assume you usually go to another service, etc. If you want to avoid interaction, go into the service a couple minutes late and leave a couple minutes early. I think the earlier suggestion to choose UU, Presbyterian, or Methodist churches was an overgeneralization. Larger will get you more of what you want than smaller.

If your children are there for the education, you may want to choose from different denominations as the services will be different. Liturgical churches such as Catholic, Anglican, & Lutheran will have similar types of services. Baptist churches and many nondenominational churches will have a very different type of service. They are often referred to as "low church." Presbyterian and Methodist will be somewhere in the middle. You can also get a taste of differences by visiting a church whose service is labeled "contemporary." Even within denominations, there is a wide spread between a "traditional" service and a contemporary one. I think you should be brave and try a nondenominational evangelical church. You might find that it's not the big bad wolf its often portrayed as.

:iagree:

Hey I'm curious.. most of this thread is specific to various Christian denominations... but what about others? For instance, if someone wanted to visit a mosque or a synagogue or a... what do they call the meeting places of Buddhists? Temples? (that's the word that comes to mind) or whatever ... does anyone know if that kind of thing is allowed? has anyone ever gone to visit anywhere like that?

I don't know and this is something I want to do next year. I'd like to go to a Jewish Synagogue, a Hindu Temple and a Buddist Temple.

I would encourage you to visit one or more Catholic services. Anyone can attend a Catholic Mass, even a weekday Mass. Holy Communion is reserved for those who are in full communion with the teachings of the church, but no one will think ill of you if you remain in the pew at Communion time. There are always people sprinkled throughout the church who don't receive on any given day. The first half of the Mass is the proclaimation of scripture (called the Liturgy of the Word) and the second half on fulfilling Christ's command in regards to the Last Supper to "Do this in memory of me." (called the Liturgy of the Eucharist.) The focus is on the worship of and union with God and is not a highly social experience. You could say it's vertical (union with God) and not horizontal (union with people is reserved more for times outside of the Mass, i.e., social events or talking outside after Mass.)

>For instance, if someone wanted to visit a mosque or a synagogue or a... what do they call the meeting places of Buddhists? Temples?

I don't know about mosques, but anyone can generally just show up for services at a synagogue (with the exception of a couple of major holidays like Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur, when many synagogues require tickets).

That said, the services of the different Jewish denominations are very different. A Reform or Reconstructionist service will be the most accessible to a non-Jew; a Conservative service will be a lot of Hebrew but you should be able to follow what's going on to some extent, and an Orthodox service will be quite different (men and women sit separately, for one thing). I also don't know what the rules are for carrying things into an Orthodox synagogue on the Sabbath (when observant Jews don't carry things, drive, turn on lights, etc.) -- that would be something to check into first.

The Catholic churches are always open to anyone. No need to call ahead, or to even explain why you're there. Just go a few minutes early, so you can look in the missal and find where the readings for that Sunday are. You'll probably be able to read along with most of the prayers without too much trouble.

When everyone goes up for Communion, you can either remain seated, or you can go up for a blessing by crossing your arms over your chest with your hands on opposite shoulders. This blessing can't be done by a Eucharistic Minister, a lay person distributing Communion, but must be done by a priest. So go on the line leading to him. :)

To make it more understandable, it might be fun to have them read about the Mass on the internet. There are many good sites which explain what's happening at the different parts of the Mass. Here's one site which can get you started:

http://www.mycatholictradition.com/catholic-mass.html

I don't know and this is something I want to do next year. I'd like to go to a Jewish Synagogue, a Hindu Temple and a Buddist Temple.

I am currently organizing a series of comparative religion field trips for our homeschool group. So far we have visited the Hindu Center and the Quakers. On my list:

Roman Catholic

Mainline Protestant (we have a Methodist minister in our group who will do that one)

Evangelical Protestant (might go over to the JAARS headquarters---they do mission work creating written languages for various cultures that don't have one so that they can translate the Bible for them)

Sikh gurudwara

mosque

Reform Jewish temple (because I have contacts there---don't know if we'll make it to other sects)

Greek Orthodox Christian (they have a great program at the annual Greek festival)

Zen Buddhist temple, hopefully also an ethnic Buddhist temple (there's a Vietnamese and a Chinese one in town, but there may be an issue with finding someone in leadership available who speaks enough English to be comfortable talking to the kids from what I understand---the Vietnamese one is gorgeous, our family was just there for an event)

Unity

Unitarian Universalist (my group--waiting on our new minister to settle in)

LDS

JW

Seventh-day Adventist

Baha'i

others if they are available

I've started with people that I knew who were heavily involved in one of these religious communities. I've asked other members of our homeschool group to let me know if they have personal connections in any of these faith communities who would open to our visiting. Beyond that, I am going to our local ministry group whose primary function is to promote bridge-building among faith communities. This is a long term project for me, so it may take a couple of years to get to all of them. I'm also encouraging my Girl Scouts to work on a Passport to Religions tryit/badge/IP http://www.shopgirlscouts.com/publications/PassportRequirements.pdf and a Religions around the World patch http://www.girlscouts-swtx.org/gssa/Council_Patch_Programs.asp?SnID=631214391 in conjunction with this.

Will they pass a collection plate? Is that something to be prepared for?

It's hard to say -- we don't do this at our church; but many, many evangelical/Protestant churches do (most that we attended over the years did). And yet even in that circle there will be some that don't. So, be aware that yes it might, but as a guest don't feel like you have to drop anything in.

No matter where you go, don't worry about it. You won't be the only one. Really.... I write a check once a month, not weekly. So many in our church do the same, and I imagine it is like that elsewhere. If you really feel compelled, just give each kid a dollar to drop, it'll give them something to do too.

No matter where you go, don't worry about it. You won't be the only one. Really.... I write a check once a month, not weekly. So many in our church do the same, and I imagine it is like that elsewhere. If you really feel compelled, just give each kid a dollar to drop, it'll give them something to do too.
It will give them something to do lol.

I am not planning to make any visits, (I am already a JW) just curious and asking for the OP.

Yes there will be a collection, but if you just pass the basket to the next family, or if they have the baskets-on-a-stick, you can just sit with your hands on your lap, or with the hymnal open and they'll just pass you by. Some Sundays there is a second collection for something, and you can do the same.

Church of Christ can be a good one to visit. Traditional ones, at least, use no instrumental music, so you have congregational 4 part vocal music. I've visited several, and they've been very relaxed towards visitors and not pushy at all.

Yes, respect the norms. Don't worry about putting $ in the basket. At least not at a Methodist church :) We do NOT expect guests to contribute offerings, unless they become regular guests (who usually eventually join). If you feel compelled to put something in, give each child $1 to put in so they each can have the experience.

We worship with a church of Christ, and we have visitors every service. Your children would be welcome in the Sunday School classes as well (which happen prior to the worship service, everyone- adults and children sit in on the worship service). It would probably give your children a more complete idea of what "going to church" is like to be able to sit in on the Sunday School classes, but it's by no means required.

A collection plate is passed at each Sunday service, but most congregations make a point of stating that the collection is not a solicitation of any guests, but simply an obligation of the local membership. However, whenever we visit congregations in other cities, we'll often give our little ones a dollar to throw in the plate, just because they really like participating in that way.

Just show up. You will get attention and hopefully be welcomed. But, it is OK to just visit. At our church we LOVE to see newcomers. We don't OVERWHELM them and make them uncomfortable. We let them know we are glad they are there and we ask them to fill out a card... but there are MANY times when people don't want to and that is OK. Just enjoy the service and learn. I have been contemplating taking my kids to other denominations so they can see what happens elsewhere. I was raised VERY conservative and appreciate that but I want to know for myself what happens elsewhere... it always makes my faith stronger. I think it is GREAT that you are willing to take your kids. Shows your true commitment to them... these are lessons they will appreciate.

Let us know what how it goes. We attend a Christian Church (nondenominational) it is pretty conservative but different than Baptist or Lutheran, Methodist etc. Try many varieties! :)

Sharon,

I would be VERY uncomfy with a church that passed the plate or said things like that it was "the obligation of the local membership" as another post said. First, it's against scripture (which *should* be my first; but color me imperfect and honest...); but mostly, I'd just be REALLY uncomfy passing it regularly, people seeing whether I put anything in it, and people judging if my paltry gift was enough. And I realize people will SAY that others won't notice or judge; but when it is considered a "payment," an "obligation" or the church believes in tithing, there is judgment before it ever gets to ME.

And this really extends outside of the pew for many churches. We have been to people's doors just to make sure they're doing okay (maybe they take literature and maybe they don't). We'll come visit just to see how they are doing and are sincere in hoping things are well. They'll mention that nobody from their own church ever comes by and they only correspondence they get is a re-up on their "contribution" (or tithe or whatever their church calls it). It is SO sad that the church wants to keep getting their money; but makes no attempt to keep them involved with the congregation on a weekly basis, to visit them in their homes, etc. Some have much worse stories. Many of these people are elderly or disabled.

This is NOT to say anything about any one of y'all's personal churches. Please don't get defensive. However, I am not the only person who was uncomfy because of money in a mainstream church. And there are many many people who have had experiences like the above (one guy told a similar account just last week in my new congregation). Churches often have a repuation regarding money.

Sharon,

I would be VERY uncomfy with a church that passed the plate

To each his own, I suppose. It's never occurred to me to draw conclusions about someone who did or didn't put something in the plate, any more than I would draw conclusions about whether someone received Communion or not, or their manner of praying or dressing for services. It's not news to me that some do watch others and make uncharitable inferences; but I hope we can all agree that such behavior is directly contrary to the teachings of our faiths.

or said things like that it was "the obligation of the local membership" as another post said.

But it is their obligation. It is a solemn obligation for the faithful to support their local congregation, as they can. There have been years when, for my family, that's meant in-kind support (teaching Sunday School, or groundskeeping); other years, we are better able to assist financially. This may not be the teaching of your faith, but it's mine; and I hope we can all respect each other's beliefs even when we may disagree.

First, it's against scripture (which *should* be my first; but color me imperfect and honest...);

No, it isn't. It may be against your interpretation of Scripture, which is a wholly different matter.

If we begin announcing that the teachings of other churches are "against Scripture," this is going to turn into a whole different kind of thread. Let's refrain.

but mostly, I'd just be REALLY uncomfy passing it regularly, people seeing whether I put anything in it, and people judging if my paltry gift was enough.

I agree that you should definitely stay far from churches where the congregation does such things. Many churches, including mine, provide envelopes to remove the temptation of looking to see how much someone else is putting in.

Personally, I have never in my life heard someone in my church remark on the amount someone did or didn't appear to be putting in the plate. Most of us are busy praying during that part of the service (the prayer is called the "Offertory"; we are offering ourselves together with the gifts of bread and wine).

And I realize people will SAY that others won't notice or judge; but when it is considered a "payment," an "obligation" or the church believes in tithing, there is judgment before it ever gets to ME.

No, there isn't.

And this really extends outside of the pew for many churches. We have been to people's doors just to make sure they're doing okay (maybe they take literature and maybe they don't). We'll come visit just to see how they are doing and are sincere in hoping things are well. They'll mention that nobody from their own church ever comes by and they only correspondence they get is a re-up on their "contribution" (or tithe or whatever their church calls it). It is SO sad that the church wants to keep getting their money; but makes no attempt to keep them involved with the congregation on a weekly basis, to visit them in their homes, etc. Some have much worse stories. Many of these people are elderly or disabled.

There are a lot of sad stories out there, and a lot of ecclesial and human failings. Some of these stories can lead us to demonize other faiths as being all about the money. I've heard a lot of stories about hurt and damage at the hands of people believing they were doing God's work, and I don't think I know of a single exception. Maybe Zoroastrians; I've never heard anyone say they were hurt by their fellow Zoroastrians. I've heard of a lot of people hurt by people in my church, and in yours. Money is one way of hurting people. There are lots of others.

This is NOT to say anything about any one of y'all's personal churches. Please don't get defensive.

It's not quite fair to condemn churches that take up collections and caricature them as hounding elderly and disabled people for their money, and then ask people not to get defensive. Especially when you explicitly address your post to a member of a church that expects its members to support it. I will defend my faith, thank you.

I don't know if your DC would be the right age for it (there's a lot of discussion about menstruation and concern about breast development), but a main theme of "Are you there, God? It's Me, Margaret." is a child (12 or 13, I think) visiting different churches and houses of worship to try to understand her parents and their blended family better.

It's not quite fair to condemn churches that take up collections and caricature them as hounding elderly and disabled people for their money, and then ask people not to get defensive.

I was not (or at least not meaning to) lumping all churches together (in relation to this).

However, maybe instead of being defensive though I asked people not take it as a blanket concern, people could see if the shoe fits in their individual church and DO SOMETHING about it if it does. If the shoe doesn't fit, don't wear it :)

However, maybe instead of being defensive though I asked people not take it as a blanket concern, people could see if the shoe fits in their individual church and DO SOMETHING about it if it does.

Good advice. I think it could even be stated in more general terms, thus: Instead of clucking over evils one thinks might be going on in someone else's faith, pay attention to weeding one's own church garden.

:001_smile:

That's what I was commenting on (not the exception for visitors). I don't know of any churches that don't "allow" children in the sanctuary during the teaching or any other part, even if they have separate children's programs.

This is a church that doesn't allow children, even the children of visitors, in their main service.

Apparently it is becoming more and more common. I think it is a shame. These churches tell kids over and over, "You're not welcome in here," and then scratch their heads in amazement when these same children leave the church when they are young adults.

I would be VERY uncomfy with a church that passed the plate.

I'd be "uncomfy" with many things that are done in many houses of worship *if I were considering them as a potential spiritual home,* but the OP isn't doing that. She seems to be looking for advice on visiting a Christian house of worship or two so that when her kids come across something that says, "Johnny and Susie went to church," they have some frame of reference for what Johnny and Susie did. Other posters have expressed an interest in visiting a variety of houses of worship to learn more about their neighbors. Frankly, part of the point as I see it is to move outside of one's comfort zone in order to learn. If one is only willing to visit groups that do everything the same way one's own group does it, why bother?

*All* religious institutions who have any sort of a physical structure or presence have a need to pay the bills---the clergy, the rent/mortgage, the lights, the pamphlets, etc. *Someone* *somewhere* along the line pays for it---but they all do it in different manners. Understanding the ways in which a particular religious group handles finances can indeed be an interesting insight into of their views about society, their view of role of money, the responsibility of the individual member to contribute to the community, etc.

Sharon,

I would be VERY uncomfy with a church that passed the plate or said things like that it was "the obligation of the local membership" as another post said. First, it's against scripture (which *should* be my first; but color me imperfect and honest...); but mostly, I'd just be REALLY uncomfy passing it regularly, people seeing whether I put anything in it, and people judging if my paltry gift was enough. And I realize people will SAY that others won't notice or judge; but when it is considered a "payment," an "obligation" or the church believes in tithing, there is judgment before it ever gets to ME.

This is NOT to say anything about any one of y'all's personal churches. Please don't get defensive. However, I am not the only person who was uncomfy because of money in a mainstream church. And there are many many people who have had experiences like the above (one guy told a similar account just last week in my new congregation). Churches often have a repuation regarding money.

As has been mentioned, many don't put anything in the collection plate since they send their donation electronically, or do it once a month, or whatever. A donation is NEVER required, and certainly not even expected by guests. There is no mention of money before the collection, or during any other part of the Mass. Occasionally there will be a visiting missionary priest who will co-celebrate the Mass and will talk about the work he does and ask for donations to help their mission work continue. If the church finances are in trouble, you may get a wake up call from the pastor once a year, but most churches do just fine and if you hear anything, it's a think you from the pastor for the generosity of the parish in supporting their programs. Once a month, we can bring in food for the local food pantry which is supported by all the area churches.

How do your utility bills get paid? That's one of the things the voluntary donations cover.

From what I've heard, a Jehovah's Witness group is a pretty tight community,

Very true.

and possibly less likely to allow outsiders to visit without any intent of joining.

Not true. We welcome visitors at any service. I've known people who attend for YEARS and never join. They are very welcome. Always.

This is a church that doesn't allow children, even the children of visitors, in their main service.

Apparently it is becoming more and more common. I think it is a shame. These churches tell kids over and over, "You're not welcome in here," and then scratch their heads in amazement when these same children leave the church when they are young adults.

So they would actually kick you out if you said that your child was staying with you? or would it just be 'frowned on'?

I wonder what do they do when a family has a child with special needs who can't go off to the children's program on his/her own?

While I'm being all defensive ... :)

I bet if a member of one of those churches were asked why they don't have children in the main services, she wouldn't say "because we want to tell them over and over they're not welcome in here." I would imagine they have what might seem quite reasonable explanations for the practice.

We went with friends to their mega church, and it was interesting to experience. I was not thrilled to learn that the children go into age groups separately from us. We were seated in a theater setting - movie theater seats included. The music was Christian rock and the Bible study was quite good. My daughter wasn't thrilled with her experience.

We've also been to a very small Christian service in which our friends provided the music. Once again, the children left the rest of the people to be taught separately, but they were together for part of the service. The music was great. :)

I've been to services at Methodist, Episcopalian, Pentecostal, Jewish and Jehovas Witness, and have been to hear music, or tour Latter Day Saints, Buddhist, Islam, Shinto, and others. It's great to learn about other religions. :)

So they would actually kick you out if you said that your child was staying with you? or would it just be 'frowned on'?

I wonder what do they do when a family has a child with special needs who can't go off to the children's program on his/her own?

They don't kick you out--they just don't let you in. Two different families that I'm friends with visited that church and wanted to take their kids in and were stopped by ushers and told, "The children's programs are this way." At least one of those families told them they were visiting and they and their daughter preferred that she stay with them. After much discussion with the usher, they turned around and left and found a different church. (I don't know what the other family did. She just mentioned the situation in passing.)

ETA: This was several years ago. I guess they could have changed their policy by now.

While I'm being all defensive ... :)

I bet if a member of one of those churches were asked why they don't have children in the main services, she wouldn't say "because we want to tell them over and over they're not welcome in here." I would imagine they have what might seem quite reasonable explanations for the practice.

Oh sure, they do have their reasons. My DH's best friend used to be on staff there (or either a very involved volunteer--it's been several years and I can't quite remember:001_smile:) and we've had several discussions/debates about the Scripturalness of denying "underage" believers admittance into corporate worship.

I think they are being short-sighted in not allowing the whole body of Christ to worship together. (My Reformed roots are showing.)

(I don't want to continue to hijack this thread. Maybe someone can start a spin off. Not me, though--I'm going to the pool!)

Asking here because most people I know irl don't go to church either. My children have been asking a few times about what happens in churches. We have given them an idea, but think they'd get a much better idea if we actually took them to a few church services. We have half a dozen churches within minutes of our house.

So how would you feel about somebody's children being brought to your church to observe what goes on there for educational purposes?? Reasonable or not?

It goes without saying that we would all dress and behave with propriety, and not do or say anything to cause offense or draw undue attention to ourselves. We'd look just like regular worshipers, except we would be sitting quietly instead of joining in any prayers or what have you.

If we did do this, what would be the best way to approach it? Just turn up and go in? Or let them know why we want to visit? Are some denominations more likely to welcome non Christian visitors than others?

The easy answer is that the true church is not a building, but a body of believers. The difficult answer is that you're not going to be able to experience it just like that, meaning quickly. The biggest thing that happens "in" a church is that the believers come together to worship God, they (ideally) have a community by which each member works together as Christ's body, utilizing each person's spiritual gifts. When the church is empowered by the Spirit and each member moving the way they ought to, it is simply amazing... a small taste of Heaven here on earth, but enough of a contrast to society that it can knock you off your feet and have you revelling in His Power... and really, in order to appreciate it and experience it, you have to become a member of the Body and live it for a while in order to know your spiritual gifts. Experiencing Christ's body move like this is what it's all about; there's nothing like a reuinited body coming together to worship Him. You can try to explain that to the kids, but it's like explaining a foreign country that you can look at in picture books, but never fully partake (or understand!) until you move there for a few years. It will all seem like foolishness.

*All* religious institutions who have any sort of a physical structure or presence have a need to pay the bills---the clergy, the rent/mortgage, the lights, the pamphlets, etc. *Someone* *somewhere* along the line pays for it---but they all do it in different manners. Understanding the ways in which a particular religious group handles finances can indeed be an interesting insight into of their views about society, their view of role of money, the responsibility of the individual member to contribute to the community, etc.
Probably too many details but... Jehovah's Witnesses do not have paid clergy. We have groups of people for the shepherding instead of one person. All work done is voluntary.

We have a schedule for helping to clean the Kingdom Hall (as a group) and generally perform maintenance without paying anyone as well. The literature is also printed with purely voluntary donations. We have a fund for the Kingdom Hall and a fund for the Worldwide Work. At times, the more prosperous congregations will vote to take on the bills of the less fortunate. We are all aware of where every cent of the budget goes, but we are not asked to contribute a certain amount and it is not kept track of.

From what I've heard, a Jehovah's Witness group is a pretty tight community, so also more likely to notice you and possibly less likely to allow outsiders to visit without any intent of joining. That's based on hearsay, though, as I've never visited one in person.

They are more likely to introduce themselves and might offer a Bible study, but will accept your reason for coming once you give it, and don't want to pressure anyone to "join".:)

Probably too many details but... Jehovah's Witnesses do not have paid clergy. We have groups of people for the shepherding instead of one person. All work done is voluntary.

We have a schedule for helping to clean the Kingdom Hall (as a group) and generally perform maintenance without paying anyone as well. The literature is also printed with purely voluntary donations. We have a fund for the Kingdom Hall and a fund for the Worldwide Work. At times, the more prosperous congregations will vote to take on the bills of the less fortunate. We are all aware of where every cent of the budget goes, but we are not asked to contribute a certain amount and it is not kept track of.

See? An interesting insight into the way in which this particular denomination relates to the issues of money, meeting community needs (both inside and outside the group), etc.

I know it was a shock to me the first time I encountered the Jewish concept (at least at our Reformed temple and the local non-denom Jewish temple) of a specific membership fee based on income and nonmembers paying for tickets to High Holy Day services (it was $75 per person the last time I noticed). It had never occurred to me that any religious group would do things differently (not the "right" way ;)) in terms of money that I had seen growing up Protestant.

In our UU church, we do keep track of donations (if they are identified) so that the donor has a record for tax purposes. We have a pledge drive to determine if we have funding for all the programs we want to have. We designate half of all plate collections that aren't marked as fulfilling a pledge to go to community social justice projects (homelessness, hunger, etc).

There are recurring issues in the Neopagan community in terms of funding actual physical locations, teachers and programs because there is an idea that anything that has to do with religion ought to be totally free and voluntary. That's good in theory, but it's hard to get the insurance company, electric company, water and sewer, etc to volunteer their services.;) Too many times folks want the services that come along with professional staff/clergy, a stable location, airconditioning/heat, etc, but resent being asked to help pay for or provide it through volunteer labor because it should be a "sacred calling." Unfortunately in any group--religious or not--it's all too common to find the idea that "I'm busy, but x should volunteer to do that so that I/my child can benefit for free"---we have that right now in our homeschool group. Kudos to the JW's that they have created a culture in which that works.

They are more likely to introduce themselves and might offer a Bible study, but will accept your reason for coming once you give it, and don't want to pressure anyone to "join".:)

I've always appreciated those things about JW: that ministry isn't a "career," the Kingdom Halls are humble and the worship/giving is sincere.

I attended JW meetings for more than 3 years, studied, went door-to-door and never was pressured to commit to anything. That was a long time ago, though, and in the end I simply had no faith in the teaching (but that's neither here nor there for purposes of this thread.) :)

See? An interesting insight into the way in which this particular denomination relates to the issues of money, meeting community needs (both inside and outside the group), etc.

I know it was a shock to me the first time I encountered the Jewish concept (at least at our Reformed temple and the local non-denom Jewish temple) of a specific membership fee based on income and nonmembers paying for tickets to High Holy Day services (it was $75 per person the last time I noticed). It had never occurred to me that any religious group would do things differently (not the "right" way ;)) in terms of money that I had seen growing up Protestant.

In our UU church, we do keep track of donations (if they are identified) so that the donor has a record for tax purposes. We have a pledge drive to determine if we have funding for all the programs we want to have. We designate half of all plate collections that aren't marked as fulfilling a pledge to go to community social justice projects (homelessness, hunger, etc).

Thanks for sharing!