Menu

Help me decide

What phonics program would you suggest?  

1. 1. What phonics program would you suggest?

• Dynamic Phonics
    • Phonics Pathways
    • Alpha Phonics
    • Adventures in Phonics
    • Primary Phonics

Guest Cheryl in SoCal

Are you sure you want to know what I chose, because it's not on your list and I don't want to make your head explode or anything, LOL. My favorite (used with 3 children so far and to be used with 2 more) is Alphabet Island.

Do you need (or recommend) phonogram cards with phonics pathways?

I am really leaning towards that right now- and I am planning on getting reading pathways with it- and word works.

Are the word works cards also in the book? (so I can copy them and not buy them?) I had asked about this before (many times:glare:) And I believe (unless I misunderstood) that you can also print the same cards straight from the book

Are you sure you want to know what I chose, because it's not on your list and I don't want to make your head explode or anything, LOL. My favorite (used with 3 children so far and to be used with 2 more) is Alphabet Island.

My head has already exploded- over and over again. Have you not seen how many agonizing questions I have had about phonics LOL. Why do you like Alphabet Island? (going to check it out:001_huh:)

Guest Cheryl in SoCal
My head has already exploded- over and over again. Have you not seen how many agonizing questions I have had about phonics LOL. Why do you like Alphabet Island? (going to check it out:001_huh:)

LOL, I must have missed that. I like it because it's thorough and the songs/alphabet characters make it fun, and make sense. For instance, all the vowels are either male or female and what sounds certain consonants make will vary depending on the vowel. "Clever C" says "K" with the boy vowels and "S" with the girl vowels, and there is a song all about it. There is a "story" behind all the rules. Cathy Duffy has written a review about it. The company that makes it is the same one that makes Considering God's Creation.

Since you're having so hard a time deciding, I'd recommend the cheapest of the choices. (I have no idea which that would be.)

The important thing is to do a LITTLE phonics and a LOT of read-alouds every day.

Julie D.

Are the word works cards also in the book? (so I can copy them and not buy them?)
No. Some of the games are included in the book but with only a very few cards. If you want the full games you need to purchase the cards. We don't use them, but do use Reading Pathways.

My vote? Borrow the books from the library or another homeschooler first. Try them out with your child. Phonics lessons aren't typically that different from ea other (from a mom that's btdt with several phonics programs), so it isn't going to confuse your child (at least not much...snicker;) Different phonics books will jive with different people. Everytime I tried Phonics Pathways, I thought I was going to leap off of a bridge and end it all. It's an awesome amazingly wonderful program, but I was just going to gouge my eyes out if I had to use it for longer than 1 week. That's just me. It's not the program's fault at all. So try it out first, and then purchase the winner!

Do you need (or recommend) phonogram cards with phonics pathways?

I am really leaning towards that right now- and I am planning on getting reading pathways with it- and word works.

Are the word works cards also in the book? (so I can copy them and not buy them?) I had asked about this before (many times:glare:) And I believe (unless I misunderstood) that you can also print the same cards straight from the book

Yes, Yes!!! I recommend phonogram cards, that is what turned the light on for my second child! Some kids don't need them, mine wouldn't be reading without them!

Used it with 2 DS who are both excellent readers now. I like it because:

Comprehensive

Clear structural approach but not scripted (I don't like scripted, others do)

Straightforward - minimal bells, whistles, and cutesy extras

Black and white - minimal distraction for DSs

No writing (DSs didn't like writing at that time)

Most of the time DSs liked it, sometimes they didn't. I suspect that 4/5 year olds - at least mine - might have been that way about any program. When they didn't like it, we did less, when they did, they did more. Both finished it by age 6.

My vote? Borrow the books from the library or another homeschooler first. Try them out with your child. Phonics lessons aren't typically that different from ea other (from a mom that's btdt with several phonics programs), so it isn't going to confuse your child (at least not much...snicker;) Different phonics books will jive with different people. Everytime I tried Phonics Pathways, I thought I was going to leap off of a bridge and end it all. It's an awesome amazingly wonderful program, but I was just going to gouge my eyes out if I had to use it for longer than 1 week. That's just me. It's not the program's fault at all. So try it out first, and then purchase the winner!

:iagree:

I didn't vote in the poll, because I'm in the same boat you are. Cannot figure out what to use next year. I thought I'd settled on Phonics Pathways, but the thing that bugs me about it is that the pages are so busy.

We used Primary Phonics last year with older DD (who is reading quite well now) and it was nice but it's a bit expensive. For every workbook, there is a set of readers that runs about $20. There are 6 workbooks, I think, so it all really adds up :tongue_smilie: However, what I really like about Primary Phonics is that it incorporates writing and is very incremental and easy to use.

I've never heard of Dynamic Phonics or Adventures in Phonics. I know about the other three programs you mentioned.

Phonics Pathway uses the letter ladder approach. I really don't like that approach. What I mean is that it starts of with things like ba-, be-, bi-, bo-, bu- and then adds ending consonants.

Alphaphonics looked boring. Instead of stories, it just had random sentences using code that had been learned so far. It uses a word family approach (bat, cat, fat, hat, ...).

I haven't ever seen the whole Primary Phonics program, but I did use the 1st set of readers. It was difficult to find readers at that level that had actual stories. It has an unusual order. It starts off with short vowel words like most programs do, but then it goes right into magic e and vowel digraphs before moving on to consonant blends. The level one readers were good.

I think my favorite way to do reading is to use the I See Sam readers with Reading Reflex.

I have a long post I put up on my local email loop every year for all the newbies that lists the basics about all the reading programs I know enough about to include. I'll cut and paste it below.

========================================

Reviews of Reading Programs (I had to cut this in half because it had too many characters. Look for part 2 below this.)

I am only reviewing programs that I have either used (even if only for one week) or spent extensive time looking through or have heard a lot about. The programs are in alphabetical order. I have used a lot of different programs with my three girls. My oldest was a natural reader, so I didn't use much with her. My middle daughter had an auditory processing delay that affected her speech and teaching her to read helped tremendously. My youngest daughter has dyseidetic dyslexia (that's dyslexia due to visual processing issues rather than auditory processing issues like most dyslexics have), so I have used a LOT of different programs with her. I have provided an internet address for every program.

You should know that all of the programs listed below are good programs that work well for lots of kids. What worked for mine may not work for yours. What works for one of your kids may not work for any of your other kids.

Dyslexic kids:

On dyslexiasupport2 (a yahoogroups email loop) the two programs most often recommended are Abecedarian and Barton. The usual recommendation is to try Abecedarian first because it costs much less. If it doesn't seem to be working after several months, then try Barton. If the student screening for Barton shows problems with auditory processing, the general recommendation is to try LiPS produced by Lindamood-Bell. If the problem is more related to comprehension than to decoding, the recommendation is Visualizing and Verbalizing (V&V) by Lindamood-Bell. There is a Lindamood-Bell center in Dallas that does testing and offers training classes. There is now a Lindamood-Bell center in Austin as well, but I'm not sure if they're here year-round or just for the summer.

Useful information to know:

When I talk about basic code, I mean one sound for each consonant (hard sound for c and g) and only short vowel sounds for the vowels. So in basic code, there are only 25 sounds (c and k share the same sound). When I talk about advanced code, I mean all the rest of the code as well (ch, sh, th, ph, kn, wr, ai, ay, ee, oi, oy, a-e, ...).

Abecedarian

This program is very similar to Reading Reflex (see below), but is much more user-friendly. It has all the support materials included. Reading Reflex just gives you a plan. This program gives you everything you would need to implement the plan. It also has some of the philosophy from LiPS included. There are lots of sample pages on the website.

http://www.abcdrp.com/

Alphaphonics

This is a phonics program only. There are no stories to go with it. None of my kids responded well to Alphaphonics. It didn't even last a full week here. It's pretty much just word lists and random sentences (not sentences that make a story). It uses a word family approach (at, bat, cat, fat, hat, ...).

http://www.alphaphonics.com/

Barton Reading and Spelling

I haven't considered this one due to the cost, but if I hadn't found other programs that worked, I would have tried this one. It has an excellent reputation for teaching kids with reading issues. It is an Orton-Gillingham style program. It is video-based, so it's pretty expensive. This is the one that is recommended on my dyslexia loops for when all else fails. Many people go straight to it, but most try other things first because of the cost.

http://www.bartonreading.com

Bob Books

A lot of people rave about the sets of readers in this program, but all my kids hated them. The stories are pretty lame. New code is introduced much too quickly to use this as a reading program on its own unless you happen to have a natural reader and my natural reader hated the books.

http://www.bobbooks.com/

Explode the Code

This is a workbook series that teaches phonics. There are no stories to go with it. If your child is already reading, it works great as a low-key spelling program for 1st-2nd grade. There are no stories. My two older girls loved this series, but I used it for a low-key spelling program for them. They were both reading at a level higher than the workbooks. My youngest has had great difficulty with these workbooks. Because she is dyslexic, she needs way more practice than these books provide. They move too fast for her. Sonlight has developed stories that follow the same sequence as the workbook and they are listed below under I Can Read It. There is now an online version of Explode the Code that I've heard good things about. Homeschool Buyer's Co-op has done a group buy of the online version.

http://www.epsbooks.com/dynamic/catalog/series.asp?seriesonly=1460M

Funnix

This is a computer-based direct-instruction reading program by Siegfried Engelmann. It is different from Teach Your Child in 100 Easy Lessons below. That program used a strange orthography and this one uses regular letters. It is based off of his Horizons program (regular letters) rather than his Reading Mastery program (goofy orthography). I have only used level 2 of this program and my daughter is halfway through it at the time that I am typing this. It has a reader that has very cute stories. The only one my daughter hasn't liked so far has been a set of 4 stories about a tugboat. All the other stories have had animal or people characters and she has liked them. This is a complete program, but may not be enough if you have a child with dyslexia or other special needs. The computer cd-rom does the instruction, but you have to be sitting with your child to run the mouse. This is not a flashy graphics program like Headsprout (see below). It also has worksheets that the computer program guides you through. There is a complete lesson online as a sample at the website below. [my dyslexic dd was in 3rd grade when I first wrote this description]

http://www.funnix.com

Headsprout

This is a fairly expensive online program, but it helped my dyslexic daughter tremendously. It goes very well with the I See Sam readers below. The first 40 lessons (part 1) go well with sets 1-3 of I See Sam. The last 40 lessons (part 2) go well with set 4 of I See Sam. I think it would move too fast for many kids to be used on its own, but it's great for increasing reading speed in a child who is reading at a beginning 1st grade level (already knows basic code, but not advanced code). There is a 30-day money-back guarantee. If it's going to make a difference, you will usually be able to tell by the 20th lesson. My youngest daughter's reading speed doubled by the 20th lesson. When we hit part 2, I was able to do the set 4 I See Sam readers and she was able to move through them at a pretty fair clip. She didn't have to do any re-reading (a first for my daughter). Homeschool Buyer's Co-op has done group buys of this program.

http://www.headsprout.com

Hooked on Phonics

This is a solid phonics program with stories included. It may move too fast for some kids. I used the stories for my middle daughter. Reading Reflex worked well for her for reading instruction, but she needed stories to go with it. I borrowed HOP from a friend just for the stories.

http://secure.hop.com/

I Can Read It

This is a set of stories and word drills that goes in the same sequence as Explode the Code (above). My middle daughter really enjoyed the stories in ICRI. My youngest couldn't follow the stories at all. The print was too small for her and the limited vocabulary was too awkward.

http://www.sonlight.com/1R16.html

http://www.sonlight.com/samples-icri.html (link to sample pages)

I See Sam

This is eight sets of decodable readers that were developed under a government grant in the 70's. They use Maximally Learnable Text (means that up to 95% of each book is decodable if you've read the previous stories). The stories in the first three sets are very cute and funny. They are the best stories I've seen at that level. Unfortunately, the stories start to go downhill starting in the 4th set. My youngest daughter hated the stories in the 4th set so much that she threatened to go on a closed-mouth strike if I ordered the 5th set for her. There is an email loop that provides great support on yahoogroups. There are sample pages available in the photo section of the yahoogroup. With the support on the email loop, this is a complete program for most kids. Special needs kids may need more.

http://www.iseesam.com (go here for information and ordering)

http://3rsplus.com/ (go here to order much cheaper)

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Beginning-Reading-Instruction/ (email loop for support)

Edited by AngieW in Texas

part 2 of 2 (too many characters for one post so I had to split it into two posts)

Let's Go Read

This is a computer-based phonics program from Edmark. There are no readers included. The first level (An Island Adventure) teaches the names and most common sound for all 26 letters (basic code) along with some sight words. To make full use of this program, you need a microphone. The second level (An Ocean Adventure) teaches long vowels. I'm not sure how far the instruction goes. My youngest is the only one who used it and she got lost fairly early on in level 2 because it moved too fast for her. These are fun for practice, but aren't a complete program for teaching reading. One thing that's very useful in level 1 is that it teaches how to recognize the letters in many different fonts and in both uppercase and lowercase. This program is strictly supplemental, not complete.

http://www.broderbund.com/jump.jsp?itemID=230&mainPID=230&itemType=PRODUCT&path=1%2C2%2C8%2C4748&iProductID=230

Phonics for Reading

This is a workbook-based program that has sound, word, and sentence level drills. It has stories, but the stories aren't all that great. It also has spelling and comprehension exercises. It is intended for classroom use, but can be used at home. I am using it as a supplemental program for my dyslexic daughter. It is good for additional practice for her, but doesn't have enough material to be used as a main program for a child who needs extra help. It works on two syllable words from the beginning. There is a sample lesson from each level on the website. You can buy single copies of any of the workbooks. The teacher and student editions combined cost about $25 including shipping for single copies.

http://www.curriculumassociates.com

Phonics Pathways

This is a phonics program only. None of my kids responded well to this program. It uses the ladder letter approach (bad, bag, bam, bap, bat, ...).

http://www.dorbooks.com/

Primary Phonics

I have only used the readers from this program, not the program itself. I was looking for something that my middle daughter could read after she learned basic code in Reading Reflex (see below), but before learning advanced code. The first set of readers uses only basic code. The second set uses long vowels. There are sample pages on the website. I have only used the first set.

http://www.epsbooks.com/dynamic/catalog/series.asp?seriesonly=357M

Reading Reflex

This is a phonics program with some stories. It works on a completely different approach from every other program I've seen. Instead of teaching that letters make sounds, it teaches that sounds have pictures (letters are sound-pictures). It is fantastic for kids with auditory processing issues and can be used to help remediate auditory processing and speech delays. My middle daughter gained two years of speech in just 6 months of using Reading Reflex. It does NOT work for visual processing issues (ask me how I know). There is a little bit of reading material included, but it is a VERY little bit of reading material. Mostly it provides a plan for teaching phonetic code and exercises to do. It also teaches spelling. In fact, it uses spelling to teach reading. There is a parent support book that is very useful when you get to advanced code (that's anything beyond short vowels and a single sound for each consonant). I haven't used the parent support book myself. My middle daughter didn't need it and the approach didn't work with my youngest. Many people who use Reading Reflex for basic code end up switching to Abecedarian to continue reading instruction.

http://www.readamerica.net

Rewards Reading

There are two levels for this program. Intermediate is for 4th-6th graders reading at least at 2nd grade level. Secondary is for 6th graders and older who are reading at least at 3rd grade level. The focus of the program is reading multisyllable words. The teacher book is expensive (around $85), but necessary. The program is entirely scripted. It's possible to find the Secondary level used, but Intermediate is much more difficult to find. Secondary can work for a 5th grader who is reading at least at 3rd grade level and has an advanced vocabulary.

http://www.rewardsreading.com

Starfall

This is not a reading program, but it is a fun place to practice phonics online and it's free.

http://www.starfall.com

Studydog

This is an online program that you used to be able to download for free. It costs $25-50 now, depending on what you purchase. It was definitely worthwhile to try when it was free. I don't think it's worth $25 though. It is not a complete program by any stretch of the imagination. It is a fun way to review phonics that you already know. It will not work to teach new code, because it moves way too fast for teaching new material.

http://www.studydog.com/

Teach Your Child in 100 Easy Lessons

This is a direct-instruction program by Siegfried Engelmann. It is based on the program he wrote for SRA called Reading Mastery. It is a very compressed program (meaning that it has far fewer lessons than in Reading Mastery). Many people experience great success with this method. All of my kids had problems with the strange orthography used in the book. This program is NOT good for a child with visual processing issues. Every lesson is completed scripted for you.

http://www.startreading.com/

==============================

I haven't tried any of the Lindamood Bell programs. I can just give what I know about them from what I've read. LiPS and V&V are mentioned a lot on the dyslexia loops. Seeing Stars isn't mentioned as frequently. In general, a training course is recommended before trying to use any of these materials on your own. If you've done a training course for one of the programs, you're more likely to be able to figure out one of the other programs on your own.

Lindamood Phoneme Sequencing Program (LiPS)

This is the program that is most often recommended for auditory processing and phonemic awareness issues. I've also seen it recommended for speech issues.

http://www.lindamoodbell.com/programs/lips.html

Visualizing and Verbalizing (V&V)

This program is for comprehension issues due to difficulty with coming up with visual images for what you read.

http://www.lindamoodbell.com/programs/visualizing-verbalizing.html

Seeing Stars

This program is for symbol imagery and visual processing issues.

http://www.lindamoodbell.com/programs/seeing-stars.html

Talkies

This program is a primer for V&V. I've never seen it mentioned anywhere other than the LMB website.

http://www.lindamoodbell.com/programs/talkies.html

=========================================

Program equivalence

This is to let you know how the different reading program's levels compare. I don't know this for all the programs. None of these programs are exactly comparable, but the equivalences below are pretty accurate. They all have different sequences for learning code.

The following reading programs cover the same basic material even though they may have a completely different scope and sequence.

Reading Reflex basic code = I See Sam sets 1-3 = Headsprout part 1 = Explode the Code 1-2 = Phonics for Reading level 1

I See Sam set 4 = Headsprout part 2 = Explode the Code 3 = Phonics for Reading level 2

I See Sam sets 1-4 = Headsprout parts 1 and 2 = Funnix level 1 = Explode the Code 1-3 = Phonics for Reading levels 1-2 = Teach Your Child in 100 Easy Lessons

Funnix level 2 picks up where the programs listed just above this line leave off. There isn't a level 3. Phonics for Reading levels 2 and 3 would work well with it. I'm not sure which sets from I See Sam would work, because I stopped that series after set 4.

email loops to join if your child has reading issues:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/AustinHSLearningDifferencesSupport

http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/dyslexiasupport2

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/HeartofReading

Check your library for Phonics Pathways to try out for free.

Dynamic Phonics looks good. The author emailed a sample page to me when I was trying to decide what to get. I wish I had gotten it instead of the whole McRuffy 1st grade, since it has too much handwriting for my ds right now. Here's a sample, I know they aren't available at the website, so maybe this will help you get an idea of it:

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=gmail&attid=0.1&thid=122c716665bc64c4&mt=application/msword&url=https://mail.google.com/mail/?ui%3D2%26ik%3Da57d7236f7%26view%3Datt%26th%3D122c716665bc64c4%26attid%3D0.1%26disp%3Dattd%26zw&sig=AHIEtbR2NRGw0_146sfe_mEenSzhzvC4xw&pli=1

I was always curious about Primary Phonics. But my ds did not like ETC, and it's kind of similar so I never tried it.

I also just got Alphabet Island and we all love it sooo much. I wish I had started with it. Some kids may be distracted by it, but my ds loves it so much. Just from listening to the cd, my ds has learned a lot of new phonics rules. HTH!

I used Phonics Pathways because it was recommended by WTM. In just a few lessons, my daughter was reading Bob books from the library. We did about half the book; it was easy to use and gave her the basic tools to get started. Good luck!

Reading Reflex is the one we went with --- used it with four kids (my own two and two others).

If I was asked to teach a child to read again I would turn to Reading Reflex in less then a heartbeat. It works for me wonderfully.

Carole

Absolutely Phonics Pathways. It's so simple. You can adjust to the wiggliness of each child by doing 1/2 page or a full page each day. Reading "lessons" were a maximum of 5 minutes a day here. I wouldn't do more than that even if the child wants to...keep 'em hungry for more. :001_smile: And don't rush to finish the book in a year.

It's inexpensive, black and white, and does not complicate the simple task of learning to read with gimmicks. The simpler you keep it, the better, in my experience. I wouldn't do any cards.

I can't tell you which one you should do, but I can tell you which one you should not do: Adventures in Phonics... not enough guidance/lessons plans are not detailed.

I didn't vote, because I wouldn't vote for any of those (sorry). I have tried over a dozen phonics programs over the years. Here are my top picks (not necessarily in this order):

McRuffy SE Phonics and Reading ~ daughter loves the stories and cute, colorful workbook.

http://mcruffy.com/Kindergarten-Phonics.htm

Alphabet Island ~ very cute characters and stories. Used this with my now 17 year old also and she still remembers those songs.

http://www.eagleswingsed.com/products/ai1.html

Right Track Reading Lessons ~ just recently started this and really like it. Seems to move more quickly along than a lot of other programs. The letter tiles are genius; my daughter loves this.

http://www.righttrackreading.com/righttrackdetails.html