Menu

Anyone totally dumped their landline?

We've had cell phone only for 3 years. I had my landline number transferred to a cell phone so I didn't even have to change numbers.

Our internet is through our cable company.

I pay $45 for internet ($70 including basic cable). And $70 for cell phone service with 2 lines. Since I'd pay that anyway plus the cost of a landline, it's cheaper.

Same here...cell phones for everyone in the family (even 80 yo Grandma who lives with us, and 11 yo dd), and we have high speed internet through our cable company. We have had such great service through both providers that we just dumped the land line as it seemed unnecessary.

Blessings,

Lucinda

We dumped our landline and got cell phones for everybody. It dropped our monthly bill by $10/month even though we added unlimited texting and doubled our minutes. My dh and I and our oldest already had cell phones when we did this, so we only had to add two cell phones to the account. We have Uverse for cable and internet.

We have mobile broadband like Rosie :) and we have a mobile phone. We have not had a landline for almost 3 years. We have an excellent plan on our mobile so don't have to worry about call costs, i spend as long as i want on the phone and make as many calls as i like. For us it is cheaper than having a landline plus mobile plus cabled broadband.

Dh and I were just going over our budget tonight and discussing whether we could dump the land line. The only kicker is that I would have to be the primary contact for everything, unless we got a separate line for a "home" line. I don't think my girls are quite old enough for cell phones, although they would disagree and would LOVE to have them! :D We didn't reach any brilliant conclusions, because we'd have to bump up my minutes and we don't know what the rates would be. More research in the future, I suppose. I like having a land line, though.

Since we only pay $10 a month for unlimited local and long distance calling on our landline, we see no reason to drop it. If we were still paying the local phone company's $30 minimum a month just for local service, we'd probably drop it.

We did for a time but I have read to much about cell phones and don't want to use them THAT much so we got our land line back. We don't have cable to cut costs and we have high speed internet with our phone. The two of them costs about $65 a month. We use pay as you go cell phones as we really need them only when we are out and about emergencys.

Dh and I were just going over our budget tonight and discussing whether we could dump the land line. The only kicker is that I would have to be the primary contact for everything, unless we got a separate line for a "home" line.

We always list my cell phone number as the main contact for our family. Dh works and is on the road frequently, so it just makes sense. If we had a land line I would be the one picking up the phone, answering anyway.

Blessings,

Lucinda

We dumped our landline last year and went with cell phones. We had vonage so the price of course went up when we switched to cell phones..however we are now able to talk on our phone whenever we want and not worry about being robotic or the line even working..plus we can now be available anywhere we go.

We use cable internet.

We use to pay..

Landline: $30

Cable Internet: $40

We now pay..

Phone: $98 - But we got WAY too many minutes. We like to know we are safe if we get chatty with someone outside of our friends and family plan. Which we don't as of right now.

Cable Internet: $40

But to us the flexibility and the reliability was far more important to us than the money saved. Esp since the last time we used our vonage landline and dh called 911 and got a vonage operator stating we hadn't registered for 911 service...then sent our order to another department to activate which would take up to 3 days..thank goodness my dh had a cell phone on him from work and used that to call 911. All the while I was having grand mal seizures!

I have a phone/internet plan which is significantly cheaper than the other options. The next cheapest alternative is 3 mbps DSL, unlimited long distance, and extra calling features for a total of $78/month (with taxes). My plan is 1.5 mbps DSL and I can only dial 911 and 800 numbers out, but can receive all calls, with no extra features, for $35/month. I just use my cell for all outgoing calls. Might be worth checking to see if your phone company offers anything like that!

BTW, the low DSL speed has worked out just fine. It takes 2-3 hours to download a movie from iTunes, but otherwise the difference is very small.

Dh and I haven't had a landline for 5 years, we pay 120.00 for our cell phones and that is 1400 shared minutes (just between him and I) and I have 250 text messages and his has 500 text messages. We have free internet (it's a free wireless network thing that we are allowed to tap into)

Our internet and landline are thru Verizon. We've been wanting to upgrade our cell phone plan and ditch the landline. My concern was that I have a home-based part-time business and have had the same landline phone number for over 20 years. After investigating, we found that we can ditch the landline, transfer the landline phone number to my new cell, and keep the high-speed internet w/ Verizon. I'll be shopping for a new cell this weekend.