Menu

I have to brag!!!

My 14 yo d.s. just got back home from taking his final in his College Algebra/Trig class at Community College. He averaged 100%!!!!!!! for the entire class!!! His teacher said that he'd be getting a letter congratulating him on his performance from the college.

I'm a really proud mama today!!!!

That is awesome! Which CC is he attending?

Jennifer, that's FANTASTIC! Good for him; and good job preparing him, mom!

I'm wondering where he's going, too.

Have you heard of the yahoo group 'Macomb Christian Homeschoolers'? The founder, Shelly Mabe, hosts a 'College at 14' informational meeting occasionally. Her son just graduated at 18 with his bachelor's; I believe he went to MCC.

Thanks all. He worked really hard on it. He would come home from class (4 days/week) and do his homework for 3 - 5 hours. I felt a little guilty!!

That is awesome! Which CC is he attending?

Macomb. They were wonderful about working with young kids. We live in Wayne county, but we couldn't get them to return a phone call. When I finally reached them, they couldn't give me straight answers. It was frustrating. So, we schlep out to Macomb!!

Jennifer, that's FANTASTIC! Good for him; and good job preparing him, mom!

I'm wondering where he's going, too.

Have you heard of the yahoo group 'Macomb Christian Homeschoolers'? The founder, Shelly Mabe, hosts a 'College at 14' informational meeting occasionally. Her son just graduated at 18 with his bachelor's; I believe he went to MCC.

Thanks! I hadn't heard of this. Do you have her info? I'd love to hear her! Our goal was not to have him graduate from college early. I just wanted to supplement his high school education with a few select classes (math, science, and foreign language). But, we were looking over what he needs to graduate with an Associates Degree, and it's just a few more classes. He wants to try to do it. We meet with a counselor next month to talk about it.

Macomb. They were wonderful about working with young kids. We live in Wayne county, but we couldn't get them to return a phone call. When I finally reached them, they couldn't give me straight answers. It was frustrating. So, we schlep out to Macomb!!

That doesn't surprise me; the lady I mentioned has told me before that Macomb has no official policy on age, but that they generally led her to believe that 14 was about the youngest they'd go. I believe she also said that many/most other CC in our area would not go below 16.

Thanks! I hadn't heard of this. Do you have her info? I'd love to hear her! Our goal was not to have him graduate from college early. I just wanted to supplement his high school education with a few select classes (math, science, and foreign language). But, we were looking over what he needs to graduate with an Associates Degree, and it's just a few more classes. He wants to try to do it. We meet with a counselor next month to talk about it.

Here's a link to the Macomb Christian Homeschooler's Yahoo group. The boys and I really enjoy that group; lots of great activities. I don't know when Shelly will be having her next 'College at 14' seminar, but I suspect at least not until the fall. (BTW, if you join, my username there is the same as here. :))

Congratulations! It's clear that he has the drive and intelligence to achieve such an awesome accomplishment but may I ask what curriculum he used prior to his taking this course?

A variety! We started with Saxon through 8/7. Then, we did Keys to Decimals, Fractions and a couple others just to fine tune his skills. Then, we tried Lial's Algebra. He was young (5th grade) and it did not work at all. So, we back pedaled and did Lial's BCM. Then, we tried Teaching Textbooks Algebra (6th grade). It was quite an easy program and he did very well with it. Then, we did Lial's Algebra (7th grade) again. This time, he caught right on - no problems.

Then in 8th grade:

My mom lent us a Trig book (my mom is a math teacher) - Applied Trigonometry - by McHale and Witzke. Sam worked through this on his own - for fun!!! LOL

He started Saxon Geometry and got about 1/2 way through that before this other class started. So, I'm not sure if he'll finish that or just get the rest of it in another math class at the college.

I have to say, Sam is my math/science guy. He just "gets" it. I don't know how much of this was these prep classes and how much was just Sam.

ETA: Almost forgot - we did a couple months with Aleks one summer too.

A variety! We started with Saxon through 8/7. Then, we did Keys to Decimals, Fractions and a couple others just to fine tune his skills. Then, we tried Lial's Algebra. He was young (5th grade) and it did not work at all. So, we back pedaled and did Lial's BCM. Then, we tried Teaching Textbooks Algebra (6th grade). It was quite an easy program and he did very well with it. Then, we did Lial's Algebra (7th grade) again. This time, he caught right on - no problems.

Then in 8th grade:

My mom lent us a Trig book (my mom is a math teacher) - Applied Trigonometry - by McHale and Witzke. Sam worked through this on his own - for fun!!! LOL

He started Saxon Geometry and got about 1/2 way through that before this other class started. So, I'm not sure if he'll finish that or just get the rest of it in another math class at the college.

I have to say, Sam is my math/science guy. He just "gets" it. I don't know how much of this was these prep classes and how much was just Sam.

ETA: Almost forgot - we did a couple months with Aleks one summer too.

I love how you tailor-made his curriculum to work for him! I know that is what home schoolers do but this is our first year and I have to remind myself that I can change what isn't working. Thanks!