Menu

Addi or KP for my next knitting needles?

I'm FINALLY doing a decent job with knitting and would like to move forward into some circulars that are comfortable. I tried a pair of (I think) Boye's that are fine, if a bit crunchy in the plastic. I'd like to buy a set and have a variety of sizes to work through projects. If both Addi's and KnitPicks are good, how do you decide?

Guest aquiverfull

I'd choose Knitpicks. They just look so cool! Do you like the wood, nickel plated, or acrylic? Not sure if Addi has all those choices or not. I have 2 knit picks nickel-plated circulars and the cable on them is not stiff (like Boye which I have a few of), it's very flexible. I've always wanted to buy a whole set and most likely will eventually.

I am a needle addict. Plus, I work in a yarn store and get a discount. I have Addi Clicks and Knit Picks Options, Harmony and the new acrylic ones. I also have Denise interchangeables. Addis are the best. It's not even a contest. Can you wait a couple of months. Skacel is planning to release new sets of Addi Clicks with lace points. I have many of the fixed point Addi lace needles and those tips are the best. They are due out sometime late summer. If I were you, I would make do with what I had until Lace Clicks are available.

I am a needle addict. Plus, I work in a yarn store and get a discount. I have Addi Clicks and Knit Picks Options, Harmony and the new acrylic ones. I also have Denise interchangeables. Addis are the best. It's not even a contest. Can you wait a couple of months. Skacel is planning to release new sets of Addi Clicks with lace points. I have many of the fixed point Addi lace needles and those tips are the best. They are due out sometime late summer. If I were you, I would make do with what I had until Lace Clicks are available.

!!!!

Oh gosh, I really must have those.

OH MAN I can't wait! I knit A LOT of lace and LOVE Addi Turbo Lace needles. They make SUCH a difference!

Astrid (currently working her way through all of the Victorian Lace Today patterns!)

Cat, I'm trying to understand here. Are the lace point and turbo addi's the same SIZE (mm) but different in design? So sometime this summer there will be say a size 7 or 10 mm in Lace Clicks? I'm just making dishrags right now, lol, no lace. But if the Lace tips are that much better, by all means I can wait a bit. I just wanted to make sure you meant they'll be in regular sizes, not just tiny sizes for lace.

Ok, I've been reading about these some more. Are the Addi Clicks (interchangeable) preferable to the circulars? I read some negative comments somewhere about some of the joins on the clicks. Would I be wise to start with just one of the circulars and see how I like them before buying a set?

And just for drool factor, how do the Signature needles compare to the Addi lace? :)

Cat, I'm trying to understand here. Are the lace point and turbo addi's the same SIZE (mm) but different in design? So sometime this summer there will be say a size 7 or 10 mm in Lace Clicks? I'm just making dishrags right now, lol, no lace. But if the Lace tips are that much better, by all means I can wait a bit. I just wanted to make sure you meant they'll be in regular sizes, not just tiny sizes for lace.

Lace points are sharper than the regular addi tips. They make it soooooo much easier to knit two stitches together, thus the implication for "lace" knitting. They come in all sizes and lengths. I teach all my knitting students the magic loop method. Then they only need to buy one cable length. The cable can never be too long if you can magic loop. It can only be too short. (google "magic loop" and watch a demo if you don't know what this is.)

Fixed Addi lace needles are available now. The "Clicks" system consists of needle tips that attach to cables that fit all the tips. This gives you all the most popular sizes of needles in a cute little carrying case. Clicks attach and stay put. I have had so much trouble with my Knit Picks needles pulling apart or flat out breaking. It is super annoying. Addi Clicks are very expensive. If you cannot afford the Clicks, just start collecting the individual fixed needles. You won't regret it. And if your budget is unlimited, treat yourself to a pair or two of Signature circs with stiletto points. Oooh la la!!!!!

Guest aquiverfull

Ok, so I'm clearly in the minority here..lol. I've never had any Addi's. I'm apparently missing out on something...lol. Now thanks to all of you, I'll be looking into Addis. :P

Not read the previous posts so I may be repeating someone else here. ETA: Okay, now that I have read through the previous posts I see I am in the minority. :tongue_smilie:

I have the KP metal options set and I love them. I also have some of the KP metal DPN's and smaller sized fixed cable circulars. I have one Addi smaller size fixed circular and though I like it, I much prefer the sharper point on the KP needles.

HTH

Edited by BritAnnia

They are great for what I like to knit--cotton, baby alpaca, and silk. Where they kind of don't do quite as well is with really slippery yarns like chenilles and very shiny synthetics. Those can fall right off of addi's and I think it's easier to use bamboo with them. But I don't knit with that type of yarn very often, so no problem. I also don't knit with wool or mohair very much, but when I do, the Addi's work just great.

Have not tried Knitpicks, but I like the Addi's so much I plan to stick with them. I will probably try the clicks someday when I can imagine affording them.

I also LOVE Lantern Moon wooden needles. However, they are fairly fragile. But they are really smooth and very fun to use.

I prefer a sharper point to my needles and I like the KP's. The one Addi circular I have is a #2 and not as pointy as the KP#2. Would that Addi be a lace point or...? I didn't realize they had different sharpnesses.

A set of interchangeable pointier Addi's might be finding it's way to my gift wish list ;)

I guess I'm in the minority...I am a yarn snob and very picky about my needles, but I would highly recommend that you give the KP needles a try first (and spend all the money you save on some yummy yarn!)

I have used both. I first tried the Addi needles because I had heard so much about them, and they are wonderful needles... However, they are very expensive, so in order to get a big range of sizes you will be spending a lot of money. I like having lots of needles and since I never knit to gauge on patterns I always buy several needles when I need new ones for patterns.

At some point I decided to try the KP needles and I must say they are comparable and they cost much much less ( I will never shell out $15-$20 for Addis again!). The main difference is that the KPs are pointier, but I see that as a positive not a negative, I think pointiness is a personal preference :001_smile:. The wire is very flexible and the join is very smooth on both (either needle will be a vast improvement if you are used to using Boye circs - I've been there!)

I also have the Wooden Options needles (the ones with the interchangeable needles/cables) and these are really wonderful and beautiful, but I prefer metal for smaller gauges (and Options doesn't offer a 16" cable, so if you use smaller circs, like me, the options set is less useful). If you need DPs I would also recommend the KP nickel ones - they are also wonderful.

Ok, so I'm clearly in the minority here..lol. I've never had any Addi's. I'm apparently missing out on something...lol. Now thanks to all of you, I'll be looking into Addis. :P

I get a pair once in a blue moon. They are expensive but they are smooth, slick, don't scrape and are fast to knit with. I love them.

So you wanna know what I bought? :) We visited a couple shops and got to see all these things in person. I got all fixed, no clicks or interchangeables, and I went for an Addi Lace size 7, Susan Bates 10 1/2 (less expensive, but not planning to use it much, wanted to try it for the different feel of the plastic over metal), and an Addi Natura size 6 which I think I'm in LOVE with... I was totally shocked. Did someone mention Naturas here? It might change, but for right now they feel really nice in my hand. Turns out the Lace have a resin on them which I didn't realize. I bought it at the first shop, not even taking it out of the pack. Got to the 2nd shop and a lady had them out. They feel disgusting frankly with that resin. I must be very picky, because I think it's gross. So I suppose I'll use it, only because I hate to return it, kwim? But I definitely should have opened the pack first.

And WORSE, there was this conversation going on at the 2nd shop about *lead* in the brass formula of the Addi Lace needles! Something about it not being an issue immediately because of the resin coating but if you use them when hot... So I don't know. I just wish I had opened them before I bought, or I might not have. But no matter, I think the only solution is to get myself a Signature size 7. Then I'll have the ultimate size 7 and never have to think of it again, haha.

Really though, that Natura was a surprise to me. It's SO silky and smooth, and it was just enough grip to make my tension better. I didn't realize I had been overcompensating for the slickness of the metal by holding too tightly, but it was totally obvious with the Naturas. So there you go. If they had had a Natura size 7 in stock with any sensible length, I would have bought them. They only had 40", and I felt indecisive. So I'll wait and get them later I suppose or else decide in a while I'm ready to move on from Natura to metal. At least now I have a variety to try and can see what I like!

Thanks!!!

Knit Picks Options are sharper than regular Addi's. But Addi Lace points are sharper than Knit Picks. Lots! Sharpest of all are the stiletto points from Signature. Joins on the Addi's are smooth and wonderful. They require no tools to attach and they stay attached. The Knit Picks have to be attached with a little key and I have had five different cables pull out of the metal joint. KnitPicks replaced them for free, but it was just so annoying. I hear this complaint a lot from customers in the knitting shop, so I think it might be rather common. I have never had an Addi cable break. Now that I have said this, let me put my snobbery aside. My Knit Picks Options cost about $65 several years ago. The Addi Clicks were $160. If you are watching your budget, go with the Knit Picks. They probably will pull apart somewhere down the road, but customer service will definitely take care of you. Single fixed cable Addi Lace needles are $18 a pop. Buy a set in a size you frequently use and see how you like them. I have heard a couple of people complain that the brass makes their hands smell funny. Doesn't bother me, but if your sniffer is sensitive, just might be an issue.

Two days ago I bought Addi 4's and 8's.

Now how does that help me? Are you inviting me over to let me watch? :D

Seriously, the most helpful thing was the big ring the 2nd store had of a whole bunch of circulars, lots of different brands. Then you could take them down and touch them, fondle them, see what they're like. Oh, and my new Addi Laces aren't nearly so grubby as the ones in the store. Methinks the resin was holding hand oils from all those people maybe?

Now how does that help me? Are you inviting me over to let me watch? :D

Seriously, the most helpful thing was the big ring the 2nd store had of a whole bunch of circulars, lots of different brands. Then you could take them down and touch them, fondle them, see what they're like. Oh, and my new Addi Laces aren't nearly so grubby as the ones in the store. Methinks the resin was holding hand oils from all those people maybe?

That's true. I wash my addi laces in soap and water each time I finish a project.

Are you for real?? I NEVER would have thought to wash them, mercy. Well hmm, I'll have to think about that. But since I can't put them in the dishwasher, that may limit my affection for these needles. (just joking)

Yep. Too bad my house isn't as clean as my knitting needles :-)

Since I work in a knitting shop, lots of other people use my needles. When somebody wants to try a particular type, I often loan mine. And I take my knitting everywhere I go. So now you can understand why I often wash my needles :-) Sometimes I polish the wooden ones.

Do you know what I just got, and LOVE? Square knitting needles! You can see them here. http://www.kollageyarns.com/needles.html They're supposed to be easier on your hands and help make more uniform stitches. They seem to be helping me not knit quite so tightly, which is nice. The cables are really cool, too. They're soft, so they don't kink get knotted or anything. I really like them. Also, I usually have to go up a needle size or two, and I don't seem to need to with these.

Thanks for the feedback. As I already have the KP Options it looks like I can step up and go with Addi's next time. I always find for new projects I want to use a needle that's already in use so having two or more of my most used sizes would be wonderful.