Menu

Where are YOUR maps?

I bought two maps (one US and one world) that are about 36" x 50" (guessing). I've had them for about 6 months and guess where they are? On my dining room table! (We eat in the breakfast room.) I would love to hang them and have visions of how to do it, but haven't.

Please share in words and/or photos how YOU display maps at your house.

TIA!

Our family room has a large bare wall. We mounted the large maps (roughly same size as yours), US and World, separately on two boards and framed them out, painted the frame white and hung them side by side along the wall. Both are at a decent height for the kids to be able to look and touch from about age 4 on. The family room has a white chair rail about 1/3 (or more) up the wall. The room color above the rail is bibbity-bobbity blue (disney color) and below the rail is stark white. I love how it looks!!

Our family room has a large bare wall. We mounted the large maps (roughly same size as yours), US and World, separately on two boards and framed them out, painted the frame white and hung them side by side along the wall. Both are at a decent height for the kids to be able to look and touch from about age 4 on. The family room has a white chair rail about 1/3 (or more) up the wall. The room color above the rail is bibbity-bobbity blue (disney color) and below the rail is stark white. I love how it looks!!

Sounds beautiful!!! Thanks!

We have our hanging in the dining room. I have the US one in reach and we put markers on to remind the kids of where we and family live. The world on is on top and I put a marker on the country we are studying currently.

http://concordiaclassicalacademy.blogspot.com/2010/05/cabinet-organization-and-our-homeschool.html

There's a pic in this post- if you click it it'll give you a close-up.

HTH!

We have our hanging in the dining room. I have the US one in reach and we put markers on to remind the kids of where we and family live. The world on is on top and I put a marker on the country we are studying currently.

http://concordiaclassicalacademy.blogspot.com/2010/05/cabinet-organization-and-our-homeschool.html

There's a pic in this post- if you click it it'll give you a close-up.

HTH!

I know this is off topic, but where did you get all those extra pieces for your little people nativity set?

Oh, and I like your maps too!:tongue_smilie:

Mine are on my basement walls, which is basically a multi-purpose, playroom/office/guestroom/storage room.

For anyone who doesn't already have maps and/or doesn't have anywhere to display them, we also have a shower curtain which is a world map. It is a huge space that needs something hanging there, so why not be something educational :lol:.

You wouldn't believe how much geography we have learned by studying the map while using the "facilities" ;).

We have a large world map that is on our kitchen table. I purchased clear vinyl, sewed elastic around the edges to fit around the top of the table, and put the map under it. We see it each day, quiz each other every night at dinner, and it has sparked some great conversations with guests. (The vinyl also makes clean-up very easy!)

We like to all gather on the floor to study the map so ours is stored behind a chair and pulled out when needed. The boys like to use dry erase markers on the map and really interact. We also found this cool globe that does not have any writing on it. It is a teaching globe, set up for dry erase markers - love it! I know you did not ask about globes but I was on a roll:001_smile:

We have this map (showercurtain:)) in our school room. I used those removeable hooks that stick on the wall to hang it. It is easy to take down and fold up if I want to stash it away while we have a formal dinner. We also use dry-erase markers to mark rivers, cities, voyages, etc.

Do you know if these are accurate? I thought about getting one, but I wondered if they were just decorative or if they were accurate. I know it is hard for any map to be accurate these days.

Do you know if these are accurate? I thought about getting one, but I wondered if they were just decorative or if they were accurate. I know it is hard for any map to be accurate these days.

The only thing we've noticed missing is Antarctica. :)

Someone else who left a review said Scotland is missing-- it is there as part of the U.K, just not labeled 'Scotland'. It has really good detail for a shower curtain:lol:, all the little islands are labeled as well as national capitols. For some reason most countries' states have their capitol cities marked as well, except for the U.S. No geographical features, we had to draw our own rivers in, but it's good practice!

I've never attached a picture to the boards before. I hope this works.

Our world map (haven't done a US map yet) is in the sunroom/teeny-tiny homeschool room just off our living room. I used those removable 3M hooks to hang it to the glass. The detail picture shows some of the mapwork we did for our continent study.

post-12439-13535083640248_thumb.jpg

post-12439-13535083640341_thumb.jpg

post-12439-13535083640248_thumb.jpg

post-12439-13535083640341_thumb.jpg

Our world map is on the wall at eye level against our little classroom table. No one has to get up to see the map in it entirety. Now that I know how much they've learned and how often we reference it, I'm afraid no matter where we live, this is when the map will go. :)

Our little US map is easy to grab off a bookshelf behind one of my daughters chairs. Our big atlas book is on the same shelf with our dictionary, thesaurus, etc.

Everything is super accessible, otherwise I would never use it.

I have the above-mentioned world map shower curtain hanging in the doorway between our kitchen (where we do nearly all our schoolwork) and playroom. I needed something to block the view into the playroom anyway, so the map serves multiple purposes!

We have poster maps up on the wall in our front room, which is partly our school room, partly my craft room/office, and also home to the family altar.

I need to move them for next year because we have to add another bookshelf, but they'll still be in here somewhere.

We school in the living room/dining room area, so our maps are on the dining room wall. DH didn't love the idea initially, but, well, that's where we do school! And they're nice maps, so they look OK. You can see them in the second pic in this blog post, right behind the ballerina :lol:

http://theunlikelyschoolhouse.blogspot.com/2008/09/tropical-storm-hanna-birthday-edition.html

We homeschool in the breakfast area. I got tired of it looking so schoolish because it's one big room - kitchen, breakfast, and living, and we just did a huge kitchen remodel.

So, I went to Half Price Books and bought an atlas for 7 bucks. Then I cut out a map of each continent, framed them with Ikea frames and sat them on Ikea ledges. Now we can just pull one off the shelf when we need it. The pantry in the picture stores all our school books and supplies. It's a very convenient set up.

(Pardon the picture - I just ran and snapped it real quick and it's quite blurry. But you get the idea.)

maps001.jpg

We also have a full world map in the stairway, but it's not convenient.

That is so neat how you have them in frames. Mine are taped on the refrigerator along with our latin and greek words. Then I have one large world map in their bedroom by the bed so they can look at it in the evening. I think as long as they are at eye level it does not matter where they are :)

I have a world map that is made like those adhesive room decor stickers. It is on the wall in our hallway. It is poster size and very colorful with all the flags of the countries at the bottom. Peel and stick instant geography!

We often find ourselves there just talking about countries and with the World Cup action it has really been fun playing "Find that country."

I bought two maps (one US and one world) that are about 36" x 50" (guessing). I've had them for about 6 months and guess where they are? On my dining room table! (We eat in the breakfast room.) I would love to hang them and have visions of how to do it, but haven't.

Please share in words and/or photos how YOU display maps at your house.

TIA!

We have an adorable eeboo US map well as a world map about the same size as yours, and my mom bought an attractive black, wide poster frame from Hobby Lobby to slip them into. With a regular weekly H.L. coupon, it was more affordable and durable than laminating. Now, since we hung them in the boys' room, where they have their desk and love reading, the kids can use a dry erase marker on the glass to make notes, and the maps are still protected and look like a classic part of their decor!