Menu

• Replies 838
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow. I'm so happy I could add some helpful ideas here.

Kwickimom--I'm mulling over your idea of adding twelve hanging folders in the back for you own folders. I think that will work well.

Library pockets--I bought these at dollar tree. A package of 24 cost $1.00. Worth seeing if they have any if you want to use them.

See! I told you it wasn't so hard! And it's fun too :). I love feeling like I'm in control.... And this system requires minimal effort to keep it up, which is why I tried it in the first place because I always start to slack off in January too.

Those are key words here. Minimal effort to keep it up. I did workboxes last year. It was ALOT of work on my end. My kids liked it, but by May or June (I only started in March:lol:) I was DONE.

And feeling like I am in control. Too awesome. I usually feel like I am walking a dog which is actually walking me or I'm holding the reins on a horse which is always just about ready to break out and race across the prairie. (Can you tell we've been reading the Little House series this year?):)

I've been enjoying this thread as well. Very good ideas here. Thanks ladies!! We used workboxes last year and it went pretty good. I used magazine files for my dd. I only had her to homeschool and will be adding in 1 -2 more children next year and I need something more compact due to space. I really like the file folder idea. I'll admit, I'm a little scared to rip apart workbooks though....

Just try it and soon you'll be having so much fun, you will want to rip apart more things LOL. It gives you this great sense of being big and powerful!

The reason I started filing last year was becaua I was jealous of the whole workbox craze, but knew I didn't have the stick-with-it power to keep filling them day after day.... Especially after Xmas when I didn't even want to get dressed in the mornings, let alone figure out ten interesting things for each kid to do for school.:001_smile:

Great ideas!!! Although, I'm hesitant to use the filing methods mentioned, I did get inspired to begin my organziation for the upcoming fall.

SPELLING WORKOUT: I just took mine apart (as I do every year). I took an exacto knife and ran it down the inside edge of the pages next to the spine/gluey part. Only a few pages get cut at a time so you have to do the process over and over, but it gives a decent clean cut and it's not too difficult. Just make sure to press firmly and cut slowly and deliberately. BE CAREFUL...exacto knives are SHARP!!! I suppose you could use a box cutting tool if you don't have an exacto...hmmm.

Guest aquiverfull
Just try it and soon you'll be having so much fun, you will want to rip apart more things LOL. It gives you this great sense of being big and powerful!

:lol:

The reason I started filing last year was because I was jealous of the whole workbox craze, but knew I didn't have the stick-with-it power to keep filling them day after day.... Especially after Xmas when I didn't even want to get dressed in the mornings, let alone figure out ten interesting things for each kid to do for school.:001_smile:

Well to tell the truth, we didn't stick with them either. It worked wonderfully at first, but both my dd and I got lazy about using them. Even when I would fill them up, my dd got tired of going back and forth to get everything (we keep them in another room, and we do school at the kitchen table). So then she tried bringing them all into the kitchen every morning and that worked for a while too, but then she stopped doing that also. I love the idea of the file folders basically being complete from the start and helping to keep everything on track. We are like most of you, who end up behind because we don't get to everything and it often gets pushed back. For Math this year my dd was doing several lessons (with repeated problems crossed off) just so we could finish on time.

Wow. I'm so happy I could add some helpful ideas here.

Kwickimom--I'm mulling over your idea of adding twelve hanging folders in the back for you own folders. I think that will work well.

Library pockets--I bought these at dollar tree. A package of 24 cost $1.00. Worth seeing if they have any if you want to use them.

Ok, I hung all the folders (the 36 weeks plus the 12 monthly) and I think once they are full it may be too tight of a fit :-( So I am going to put the monthly files in a seperate crate. In that second crate I am also going to have extra hanging folders for various things we will use often. So far I have blank handwriting paper, blank notebooking pages, and blank planner pages.

I have a counter area where I can put these crates side by side so having two is not an issue.

I also am going to break up my lessons into days to make sure we stay on track somewhat. So I am going to paperclip a weekly planner page, broken down by day, to each file folder in the hanging folder and as my kids complete work they can check it off. This way in case something happens and dad or someone needs to take over schooling they won't be totally lost. I am not worried about sticking to a "day" plan. If we happen to not get to something we will do it the next day or skip it.

I'm so excited about this idea! We use Singapore Math, so I'm not so sure how much math we can actually "skip" if we get behind, though. I guess we'll just have to plan on "homework" in the event of sick days. Or maybe I'll mark off some problems from each page and we can do them double time.

I have five kids I am schooling this year, plus a baby running around and a folder for me (monthly work, group work). I am wondering if I will need box bottom folders? I am planning on having half of the year's folders available next to my desk and the second half of the folders in a box put away because of space issues.

Here are some of my thoughts of what to include in each week's folders:

Paper listing art materials to be gathered

Small Art supplies

Music CD's to listen to

Jim Weiss CD's (schedule these)

Card listing email addresses to be linked to

Read Aloud Book

Lap Book foldables copied on cool paper

Notebook Papers selected and topic selected (for oldest)

Spelling Workout pages torn out and filed

Logic Pages copied and filed per week

Fun Box item selected and copied

Copywork/Handwriting selected, typed up

Writing topics selected and scheduled for #3

IEW lessons copied and filed for #1,2

Coloring Pages selected and Copied for #4,5

Science Experiments Chosen, copied and materials list written up

Materials list for Weekly Project (Wednesday) Card with Library list for the month/week Grammar Assignments Scheduled Piano Lessons Copied and filed by week Reading Books Scheduled for #1,2

Edited by swainsonshawk
clarity

SO I'm stalking this thread too! And I thought I would add in my two pennies..

I'm loving the idea of having everything together for the year.. I had never thought to have all the copies ready, library lists made out or to plan each week like it was next week and then have it filed ready for use. BUt I hate weekly tie ins or daily or even monthly because we get behind in something and it messes up everything. So last year, I hit upon the idea of printing out from HST+ my lesson plans for the year. Then I have a checklist of everythign needed to do for the year.

Thanks to this thread :D I am continuing that plan by adding file folders for each subject with all the materials in order in it. All copies, reading lists, projects etc..... I'm not tearing up workbooks because each kids (including the preschooler) has their own basket with their books in it. They have a master schedule of how many times a week to do each book. Thus, it's pretty easy to do the next thing in the workbook and so they keep those with them.

I did destroy the teacher guides and put in page protectors because now I can just pull those pages for that week instead of lugging the book around (for some reason that is just too much some days :glare: when you're lugging 25 lbs of baby around too) but a couple of sheets is very doable.

I have a binder left over from my corporate days and before kids that has a tab for each kid and a tab for each subject we do together. Plus the master calendar as well as the master cleaning sheets. That stays on my counter. I have filed in there the master lesson plans so I can check off what we do. Thanks to you guys I can just go to the files on Sunday and pull that week's work and hand out on Monday during week check in. And pick up my little 3x5 stored in my handy little library folder glued to folder to take to the library. THose cards will be done by chapter/topic.

NOw just getting this all done. I have the plans made but need to make the copies, write up the projects, and the reading lists.

Can we somehow save this thread and report back in later in the year as to how well our systems are working and what tweaks we did????

I'm so excited about this idea! We use Singapore Math, so I'm not so sure how much math we can actually "skip" if we get behind, though. I guess we'll just have to plan on "homework" in the event of sick days. Or maybe I'll mark off some problems from each page and we can do them double time.

I have five kids I am schooling this year, plus a baby running around and a folder for me (monthly work, group work). I am wondering if I will need box bottom folders? I am planning on having half of the year's folders available next to my desk and the second half of the folders in a box put away because of space issues.

Small Art supplies

Music CD's to listen to

Read Aloud Book

Materials list for Weekly Project (Wednesday) Card with Library list for the month/week Grammar Assignments Scheduled Piano Lessons Copied and filed by week Reading Books Scheduled for #1,2

Perhaps you can think of "skipping" as "skimming" the missed lessons/pages or what not. Just skim through and glean what you need and skip the rest. So maybe a problem or two on a page OR doing them orrally.

Perhaps you can think of "skipping" as "skimming" the missed lessons/pages or what not. Just skim through and glean what you need and skip the rest. So maybe a problem or two on a page OR doing them orrally.

Yes, for math that is not spiral, it's harder to just toss sheets in the garbage, but you definitely can do things orally, and there is review as you go along in singapore isn't there? So it's not the last time they will see that material.

Or, finish up with math and then move on in all the subjects together the following week.....

Or it's not the end of the world if you have to refile a few math sheets into the following week's folder and spend some extra math time during the next week or perhaps a Saturday to catch up. In some subjects like writing tales and Latin this is what we would do.

Having to physically refile sheets makes you realize in a very concrete way that every time you push work back a day, you are pushing back your last day of school.... Because you can see all the folders there waiting to be finished.

That is why I like this system because it really kept me within a week or two of my plans and I actually reached the finish line this year!!!! (and that was with a baby born on October, twin preschooler boys, and a 4 yr old girl in addition to my two I'm schooling)

:lol:

For Math this year my dd was doing several lessons (with repeated problems crossed off) just so we could finish on time.

Ahhhh yes... We did this too a few years ago and I hated that. That is one of the reasons I started thinking about skipping math pages in the middle of the year instead of at the end. What a mess of paper those days were. We started combining 3 or 4 pages at a time as I just wanted to FINISH!

Ok, I hung all the folders (the 36 weeks plus the 12 monthly) and I think once they are full it may be too tight of a fit :-( So I am going to put the monthly files in a seperate crate. In that second crate I am also going to have extra hanging folders for various things we will use often. So far I have blank handwriting paper, blank notebooking pages, and blank planner pages.

I am thinking of having a master crate with the plans for the full year and then a smaller crate with the plans for just one term or season.

I am thinking of having a master crate with the plans for the full year and then a smaller crate with the plans for just one term or season.

hmmmmmm......I could do that. Split the year in half and thus if I needed to haul a crate around i would have everything I needed in one. I was thinking of taking a little time on Sunday nights to split the weekly file folder down into days and having a folder for each day in a TO DO 3 ring binder for DD. I would have a 3 ring pencil case, tabs for blank handwriting and NB sheets, her weekly planner list and a few other things. This way her week is "mobile" and if need be we can take the binder places and she can do her work.

Thanks!! It really amazes me...i can sit here and mull things over in my head a zillion times and there is a simple solution I just do not see ;)

SO..

I will have 2 crates. Each one will have 18 hanging file folders for 18 weeks of lessons. In each folder will be two file folders-one for each DC.Paperclipped to each file folder will be a weekly plan broken down into days to how I basically want the work spilt up. I will add library pockets to each weekly hanging file folder and will place and index card in each per kid. On these I will list books needed, books needed from library, and a supply list. Then at the back of the current crate I am using I i will have 12 addt'l hanging folders for months, which will house monthly activities and worksheets. I will also add a few extra hanging files for blank notebook and handwriting sheets.

On Sunday nights I will sort out the work by days into 5 different folders for each child. I will place the weekly planner page at the front so they can check off the work as they go. This is when I will add any items I want from the monthly folder to the back of the 3 ring binder to be done as we see fit during that week.

WHEW. Sorry had to get it out of my head and on paper :D

Thanks!! It really amazes me...i can sit here and mull things over in my head a zillion times and there is a simple solution I just do not see ;)

SO..

I will have 2 crates. Each one will have 18 hanging file folders for 18 weeks of lessons. In each folder will be two file folders-one for each DC.Paperclipped to each file folder will be a weekly plan broken down into days to how I basically want the work spilt up. I will add library pockets to each weekly hanging file folder and will place and index card in each per kid. On these I will list books needed, books needed from library, and a supply list.

WHEW. Sorry had to get it out of my head and on paper :D

That's why I love These forums, because you get another perspective on things that is usually SO helpful. My husband gets tired of me talking his ear off about planning things :001_smile:

So for those of you using the library pockets for supply lists and library books to get: How are you going to remember to check the lists. Are you going to file the list in the week before you need the items? I've tried doing lists like that, and I never remember to use the list before i actually need the stuff... And then we delay science or history for another day because I haven't got to the library Yet... And the school year keeps getting longer and longer.

:001_huh:

So for those of you using the library pockets for supply lists and library books to get: How are you going to remember to check the lists. Are you going to file the list in the week before you need the items? I've tried doing lists like that, and I never remember to use the list before i actually need the stuff... And then we delay science or history for another day because I haven't got to the library Yet... And the school year keeps getting longer and longer.

OMG this sounds like me. Getting organized is all wonderful as long as you remember to check those beautiful lists that were so fun to make. :tongue_smilie:

Another vote for getting in the habit of taking the supply/book list out from the weekly folder and MOVING it to the previous week's folder-especially if you need to order library books in advance!! Very important!

I did a similar system to this for my co-op planning last year for the class I taught, but I did not use a folder for each week because I didn't have that much stuff to take up a whole folder. I had a master list in my planner of what we would do each week-projects, reading, themed snack, etc. Then to the side of each week I had a list of supplies needed for the week. I used paper like this:

http://www.levenger.com/Pagetemplates/Product/MorePhotos.asp

and divided it into rows-one for each week-and put the supplies/books I needed for that week in that little part on the left. Whenever I made my errand/grocery list, I made a habit of checking that list to add any supplies from it to my list. I also made a habit of checking the books needed from the master list the week before and ordering books from the library. They were all there that way ready to go when I needed them.

In the summer I did a marathon day of all the copies I would need for each week of class and just put them in a folder (there were only seven kids in the class so it wasn't too much), separated by a sticky note flag sticking up that said "Week 1" "Week 2" etc. When the week would come, I just pulled out the pages from behind the proper sticky note, and consulted my master list to see the flow of the class.

I plan to do the same type of thing for home this year for TOG. I'll have my master list with TOG lesson plan for the week, including supply/book list. Then in a binder (instead of folders, since the stuff needs to be three hole punched to eventually go in their individual binders of completed work when they're done anyway), I'll have a tab for each week, with the maps, student activity pages, etc. in there ready to go for each child. I don't need anything like this for math, grammar, etc. because they are just do-the-next-lesson-in-the-book type things.

I just work better having a master list divided by week to work from, with the list of supplies and so on that I need right on there. If I had them all on separate index cards, I would forget to look ahead and order/purchase them!

Hope this helps someone-this thread is great!

Was I a thread killer for this wonderful thread? :(

No, I refuse to let this thread go down :lol:

I am going to file my library cards by the week they are for. I still have a master planner 3 ring binder with a master overview and copies of the 36 week plans along with a list of materials and books needed for each week. This way I can still plan ahead and gather materials pretty easily. I plan on breaking down my weeks into days a week in advance (if that makes sense) I will have 2 weeks worth sorted into 5 folders and then i will be able to add the supplies to my grocery list and go online and order or put a hold on books.

I'm doing the hanging file thing for 36 weeks, but another poster liked smaller quantities for portability. What about setting up the whole year then using those cute smaller hanging file boxes for 2-3 mos worth of stuff to haul around? I've seen them at Target, etc... So, you set up the year and then remove the current season in a more portable unit. Has anyone tried this?

Have a great weekend filing ladies! I'm off on a big camping trip for a few days. When I get home, I'm definitely ready to start my filing and organizing. Now I just need to decide which history program we're going to use so I can make book lists for each week.

thanks for all the wonderful ideas and conversation!!:):):):)

That's why I love These forums, because you get another perspective on things that is usually SO helpful. My husband gets tired of me talking his ear off about planning things :001_smile:

I've been giving this some thought. And I'm not sure yet. It's a good point. I am thinking when I set up the files, the cards will go in the pocket for the related month. Then when I start using it, I will pull the materials list and library books cards and move them up to the month ahead. So, for instance when I pull out folder for September I will have the cards for October in front. Then during September I can make one shopping trip for any supplies for Oct. I can reserve books from the library for October as well.

The other cards I am planning on using do not need to be checked way ahead of time. The books from home will be pulled for the month and put in a box, but that can be done fairly last minute. The field trip/activities card will be weekly.

This is sounding sort of confusing as I write it, but I do think it makes sense for me.

I'm still debating this, though.

I'm doing the hanging file thing for 36 weeks, but another poster liked smaller quantities for portability. What about setting up the whole year then using those cute smaller hanging file boxes for 2-3 mos worth of stuff to haul around? I've seen them at Target, etc... So, you set up the year and then remove the current season in a more portable unit. Has anyone tried this?

This is what I am planning on doing. I will pull out about three months worth. I will either link it to a term or to the seasons. Then I want to get one of those cute boxes with a handle and a lid that closes. I swear, I think I was just looking for an excuse to get one of those.:lol:

I wish my ordered stuff would just get here so I can start planning! It's hard to plan without actually reading through the books :lol:

I've just the one homeschooled kiddo. We are going to be following her sister's school schedule (since I have to drive dd15 to/from school everyday) but I'm not even sure if the full schedule is up on the website yet! I have to plan for the odd 4-day weeks and random special days (PSAT testing etc).

I'm grateful that the hot and humid weather has broken for a few days so that I can spend most of the time outside----------------otherwise I'd be obsessing about not being able to plan!

I have a question for those tearing apart workbooks. What do you do if part of one lesson is on the back of a page of another lesson?

Thanks.

Completed pages are filed in subject notebooks for us. So it is easy to find the missing page if needed. When we did FLL3 we integrated the special lessons, so I would use a sticky note to denote when I needed to get a page from the subject notebook.

I have been stalking this thread :D and this plan is AWESOME.I LOVE the library pocket idea. I am going to put one on each weekly hanging folder and have a supply and booklist for each week. I LOVE the monthly traveling folder idea. I was liking the file system, but I dont want to plan by dates or days of the week. I want to plan weekly and thats it. But I was I struggling on what to do with monthly things I knew would creep up that I wanted extra worksheets or books for ( like seasons and holidays) Sooo....

I am thinking I will go ahead and hang 12 additional folders in the back of the 36 with just the months written on them and I can easily file things monthly. I can then have all my 36 week lesson plans all lined out, along with extra monthly plans and I will be organized, but there will be no need to stick to any exact "dates."

What I did last year was plan for x number of weeks, not necessarily dated. Some folders were done over 2 weeks, such as at Thanksgiving. I also did a file folder for specific holidays. That way I can keep the ideas for the holidays together, and don't have to worry about refiling them from year to year. I can stick in ideas throughout the year without much effort, as well.

Small Art supplies

Music CD's to listen to

Read Aloud Book

When I looked at my yearly calendar I planned in two weeks of sick days. That way when we did get sick I didn't worry about pushing days back or anything. This really helped when we did get sick and had another week off for a funeral.

I love sticky notes. I wrote all kinds of notes to myself this way - for books I didn't take apart, for notes for supplies, and for notes anything that wasn't a big sheet. They don't get lost. :D

Oh - and thanks to whomever shared the idea of taking apart the Spelling Workout books - so simple, yet I never thought of that!!!

I have a filing cabinet, and I just use the front of one drawer for all my folders. I just pull out the week I need, and once a week I will pull out the folder for the week ahead, look it over to see what I need to request from the library or buy on errand day, then put it back in the drawer.

Edited by JoyfulMama
extra thoughts

This is what I am planning on doing. I will pull out about three months worth. I will either link it to a term or to the seasons. Then I want to get one of those cute boxes with a handle and a lid that closes. I swear, I think I was just looking for an excuse to get one of those.:lol:

Ooo. Me too! What a great idea. I always love an excuse to buy something pretty!:D

I did it! I did it! I went to The Dollar Tree and Walmart and now have officially set up the BASICS of our workboxes!! I'm so thrilled! Now I'm waiting on our shelving unit to arrive in the mail..should be here by this weekend!! :D

The crates were on sale at Walmart of $3 each. I got one for each child, including the toddler as well as one for the subjects and things we do together as a class. I am also beginning on my filing system! I purchased all the file folders, hanging folders and have begun on printing the labels for all the folders. I'm hoping that I'll have some time to work on it more before this weekend..but not sure due to a huge seamstress job I'm in the middle of.:tongue_smilie:

I've never wanted to become organized so much like I've started this year! Super excited to get this together and be able to BREATHE and relax for the school year.

I had the same idea this week when I saw the boxes at Target! Let me know what you end up doing. :001_smile:

I've been a lurker on this thread wondering how I could implement this. Well I figured it out and have planned through week 7. As I started I realized what a great idea it really is. Coloring sheets already printed, paper for narration ready to go, library lists put together by the month, I am in planning heaven.:D

Thank you to all for the wonderful ideas.

Just another thank you to those that started this thread and have shared so much valuable insight! You have truly inspired me and I have spent the past two days working on our planning & filing! I have already made more headway in two days than I normally make in an entire summer! I am actually looking forward to our school year now because I think with the tedius planning already done, I'll actually be able to enjoy our activities & education!!

Did anyone answer this:

I have a question for those tearing apart workbooks. What do you do if part of one lesson is on the back of a page of another lesson?

I really want to try this. I tried this for myself and it bombed. I changed to the Home Management Binder method but I love this idea for my kids.

I am just making a copy of one of the sides (when there is one lesson on the back of a page for another lesson). I just ran into that this evening while filing our pages for FLL.

Then go subject by subject and plan out what you need to do each week in order to be finished in 36 weeks.

Ay, there's the rub....

(And my first step. The delightful color-coded folders in my pretty crate will be the reward for finishing that first step.) :001_smile:

I've gone to every link mentioned in this thread. So much great information.

Laundry can wait.

:party: Read this thread, wrote furiously, made a shopping list and I'm going to :driving:to get the stuff ASAP. This is fantastic and it is crystal clear in my mind that it will work. LOVE these ideas . . . it is so very organized and brilliant to front load all of the copying, filing, etc. and to use numbered weeks rather than dated weeks when filling the folders.

Now, what colors shall I choose?? For sure I'm going with color coded seasonal folders (blue for winter, green for spring, yellow for summer, orange or red for fall - I have those colors) but the weekly folders hold amazing possibilities . . . (:glare: I do have lots and lots of plain yellow manilas . . . should probably use those . . . but I can still choose something pretty for the hanging folders and the crates). Thanks so much for inspiring me!

I also went to Walmart today and bought all of my folders and labels. I was soo happy in the office supply aisle :) I got my system all set up and labeled. Tore apart my SWO book and filed it all. Woohoo my very first subject is ready and planned (also the easiest one LOL) Baby steps for the newbie!

I plan on doing MM tomorrow and then Elemental Chem if I have time.

I am DYING to get all my other books. I had them sent media mail (which I will never ever do again) It is day 10 and I am freaking out that they will never get here. I cant wait to get my hands on WWE, FLL, and SOTW.

I ended up moving a 2 drawer filing cabinet into my dining room and filed everything in there. half the year in the top drawer with the monthly folders and half in the bottom.

Organizing heaven :tongue_smilie:

Ok, the only problem I having with this system now is the actual planning and filing of cetain subjects. I am scheduling MM and I have no clue how much to schedule per week. The users guide has a recommendation.

Do you think it will be too much of a pain to file how I see fit and then shuffle papers around if DD is going faster or slower than planned? I know I will be tweaking this system all year especially since it is my first, but what do you guys plan to do for things like this? Just lay it out and then shuffle it around or should I just not file MM and see how it goes the first few weeks?

I know that I will probably add in extra worksheets/practice as I see how she is doing with certain things, but I hate to plan out all this work and then have to constantly adjust. Just thinking it over and wondering what the Hive does about this?

I just wanted to add that I agree as well about the number weekly folders. I want to reuse these folders in the future years so instead of writing the year and the actual dates this is how I labeled my montly/weekly folders that went inside my hanging folders.

Example:

August Week One

August Week Two

August Week Three

August Week Four

and so on....

For those that NEED pictures...I'll be posting pictures as soon as my shelving unit arrives...which is ANY day now :D

Ok, the only problem I having with this system now is the actual planning and filing of cetain subjects. I am scheduling MM and I have no clue how much to schedule per week. The users guide has a recommendation.

Do you think it will be too much of a pain to file how I see fit and then shuffle papers around if DD is going faster or slower than planned? I know I will be tweaking this system all year especially since it is my first, but what do you guys plan to do for things like this? Just lay it out and then shuffle it around or should I just not file MM and see how it goes the first few weeks?

I know that I will probably add in extra worksheets/practice as I see how she is doing with certain things, but I hate to plan out all this work and then have to constantly adjust. Just thinking it over and wondering what the Hive does about this?

I ran into this particular issue when planning my oldest dd's reading. Somedays she flies through a lesson and easily is set for the next lesson to begin the next day...AND she has days where she can't get through the first part of the lesson and struggles through and BARELY and sometimes doesn't finish the lesson. So for me I use my scheduler as goals. Not set in stone. Not only will this help motivate me to TEACH her in a different way so she can grasp the lesson better....and it helps her know that we need to try our best to complete the lesson so we can put that number on the workbox to show completed.

I'll begin printing work in the next couple of hours most likely and I know that since I scheduled already it'll be easier for me to file. But scheduling was the hardest for me. I didn't want to over encumber my children with daily work BUT I wanted to also push to achieve our annual goals.

I have read through all these posts and have found them to be very helpful. I am not one to tear apart workbooks, however, because I do save them all in rubbermaid containers by school year just in case I ever need them. :glare: I band all the workbooks together by year and put all paperwork into one large binder for each of my sons, for each year.

That being said, however, I have found this thread to be eye opening for me and how I "organize" myself. We finish everything, every year, but usually not when I want us to. We usually have to go a week or two (this year it's three weeks) longer before everything is finished. I would LOVE to have a date on the calendar that we actually can all look forward to as the end of our school year, and that we stick with!

So, combining how I like things to look when the year is through and all that I've read on this thread, I have decided to plan the entire year in a binder and 10 monthly hanging folders instead of 36 weekly ones. I don't think I would have much in the weekly hanging folders, anyway, except for blank paper, a book list, and a few copied worksheet and test papers, all of which I can organize on a weekly basis. The core items are textbooks and workbooks, and I don't want to tear any of them apart. I will have a basket for each of my sons that will have the books they need (textbooks, workbooks and reading books) in it.

I will take away from this thread, though, the idea of having 10 monthly hanging folders for myself to put in the reading lists needed for that month as well as project ideas and materials lists (and anything else I want to remember for that month). I like being organized by month and this is a tangible way to do it. I may even be able to plan a unit study or two so we can add some interest in our homeschool!

I have never planned out an entire year before, and although I won't be tearing apart any workbooks, I will be putting together all that we need for the whole year so I can enjoy the year more and not worry about planning all the time. I say, bring on January...we'll be ready for it!! :party: Pam