Menu

need a Stephen King book reccomendation

OMG anything but Tommyknockers and Gerald's Game.

Gerald's Game was absolutely the worst book I ever read. I mean, SK is a bit off anyway :) but that one was just horrible. I can't believe he put that in print.

Tommyknockers was pointless. I read halfway through the book and all it was was some woman digging. Bleh.

One of his best books, IMO, is the Talisman.

Try searching this board. There are a ton of King threads if you want more opinions.

That is his best work. I could read it over and over again, and I no longer care for Stephen King. Somewhere in the 90's I stopped enjoying his books. They seem to get too weird, but I loved the Talisman.

I wrote a paper on the Tommyknockers in college once: its parallels to Orwell's Animal Farm, and its stance on nuclear power and nuclear disarmament.

Once you get past all that digging, it gets worth it. :)

Other favorites of mine:

Bag of Bones

Hearts in Atlantis

Different Seasons

Insomnia

Enjoy. :)

I just finished my first SK book, Under the Dome. Loved it.

Are there any others similar to that one??

Didn't read the other posts...but hands down...the quintessential American Novel is THE STAND. Absolutely SK at his best. The Dome more than pales in comparison. Happy reading!

Faithe

Another vote for The Stand. It is one of my absolutely favorites and I reread it whenever I have the time. The Talisman is also very good.

My oldest actually had Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redeption from Different Seasons, as one of her summer reading selections for 11th grade Honors English.