Menu

What should I expect? First mammogram

Well, today is the big day. I'll be passing another milestone in my life. The first mammogram.

My doctor is not a advocate for yearly mammograms, but wants a baseline picture.

So what can I expect? pain? extreme embarrassment? Should I shave my legs? Will they want me to take off my St. Michael medal? earrings? other jewelry?

Thanks.

I wouldn't worry about shaving your legs since I've always only had to remove my shirt and bra. It can be uncomfortable depending on how large you are. I'm extremely small busted and they have to yank quite a bit to get things into the machine. They squish things pretty flat to get their pictures.

I've always been able to keep any rings and earrings on but have to remove any necklaces.

I got my baseline at 33 (had a lumpectomy/biopsy at that time). I've been mostly yearly but skipped most of the years from 35-39 due to pregnancies and breast feeding.

Here's how mine went--

I disrobe to the waist and they give me a hospital gown. I take off all necklaces.

We go into the room--the mammogram thing (what is the actual name of the device? lol--Big Squisher?) has two glass plates.

The tech assists you in leaning way forward, and takes your breast (or you do, or you do with help) and lays it on the bottom glass plate. It is uncomfortable. If you are B&F (big and floppy), it's actually easier to get the majority of your breast on the plate.

Then the tech lowers the top plate to the point where your breast is squished between the two plates--the idea is to flatten your breast as much as they can.

They leave the room, press the button, and you are done. They unclamp you from the machine, and you are usually good to go.

I once made conversation while being squished and asked the tech, "Soooo, how do you get into this line of business, anyway? Lifelong dream or something?" We had a good laugh.

That's the best way to approach it, imo.

Well, today is the big day. I'll be passing another milestone in my life. The first mammogram.

My doctor is not a advocate for yearly mammograms, but wants a baseline picture.

So what can I expect? pain? extreme embarrassment? Should I shave my legs? Will they want me to take off my St. Michael medal? earrings? other jewelry?

Thanks.

A mammogram lady told me it's easier for her if she's taller than you, and you have larger breasts. I'm short with good sized ones, so no problems!

They will ask you to remove any deodorant or lotion with a wet wipe, so don't bother wearing any.

I had mine last year, which when I was 36. It was absolutely no biggie at all. It wasn't at all uncomfortable for me although the lady doing mine had done it for years. Of course I had to take my bra off, but after giving birth it seemed minute. :D I, too, had been nervous about it, but I will have no problems later getting one. They do ask you not to wear lotions or deodorant, and you will need to take off your necklace. The lady who did mine even showed me the images, explained to me what was what, so I found it very interesting. I understand your anxiety, but take a deep breath...everything will be fine.

After the last one (my second) I decided that the next one I scheduled would be in the afternoon following lunch out with a glass of wine...

But the first one I had was not so bad. You can expect some discomfort but it is temporary. Being your first time, when you check in you mght want to quietly let the receptionist know that you wouldn't mind waiting for the most experienced (quick and gentle!) tech to be available.

If I had it to do over again, I'd take some Tylenol before I went in, & plan on having it on hand. I'm medium-sized, I guess (38C), and ended up with quite a bit of bruising along the sides under my arms. I'm not a wuss, and it wasn't terribly painful, but it was a bit uncomfortable later on and the next day.

p.s. No to the leg-shaving, but they did have me take off necklace and earrings.

One other thing: Your head will be positioned in such a way that you can't see your breast being squished. I always think it must be a pretty bizarre sight, and I'm glad I can't see. Any of the techs (are they techs?) that have done my mammograms are extremely respectful of modesty and guided me through the procedure as quickly and gently as possible. It also helped that there were little cartoons taped to the machine and wall for me to look at during the squishing - usually dealing with the fact that the machine MUST have been invented by a man. :lol:

I had my first mammogram last fall and it wasn't painful just uncomfortable.

Don't be too alarmed if they call you back for more extensive pictures. They saw some possible problem spots and since they didn't have any previous mammograms to compare the current one with, they needed better pictures.

I had the results of my second mammogram before I even left the office. It was all good.

Thanks for sharing your experiences. I really appreciate it. So, I'm looking for some discomfort since I'm barely a C cup and 5'7". I had already decided not to wear anti-perspirant. Something told me that it would probably be a bad idea. Thanks for mentioning the perfume.

I have a bit of discomfort now since I'm only 3 days post-monthly so I'll take some Advil in a few minutes. I'll put my medals in my pocket since it sounds like I'll probably be able to keep my jeans. ;)

Thanks everyone.

(what is the actual name of the device? lol--Big Squisher?)
LOL I told dh that I have an appointment with the B00by-squishing machine.:lol: Edited by Parrothead

Go get em Chucki

I went and got 'em.

For anyone reading this and wondering I've got to say it was much easier and less painful than a blood draw. Of course it took more time than a blood draw. :D

The part that caused the most discomfort was when the squishing plate came down. That rubbed against the skin above the breast and drug it down.

Having mammograms is one of those times when all your Lamaze breathing will come back to you! Seriously, when they squish your b**k as flat as a pancake, it DOES sting and I distract myself with all those breathing patterns. Doesn't last long, though. You'll do fine.

I went and got 'em.

For anyone reading this and wondering I've got to say it was much easier and less painful than a blood draw. Of course it took more time than a blood draw. :D

The part that caused the most discomfort was when the squishing plate came down. That rubbed against the skin above the breast and drug it down.

Okay, I can handle blood draws.

I still don't wanna though...

:lol:

But I guess it doesn't sound too bad.

chucki,

I am glad it was a completely negative experience for you!

I was a bit shocked at the poster who said she had bruising.......I really don't think that should have happened.

My first was about 10 years ago.

Two years ago I had one a new place, and the tech told me that the point of it all is not to squish you at all. She went on to say anyone who is doing that has not been properly trained. (She had been doing them for years). The only painful part is where the machine comes in contact with my chest, not the breast tissue at all.

OTOH..after having many negatives mamograms and no family history, I am likely to argue the point that I need one every year.

I once made conversation while being squished and asked the tech, "Soooo, how do you get into this line of business, anyway? Lifelong dream or something?" We had a good laugh.

:iagree:

I'm somewhere in double digits with the process, having had to go back several times for more pics. My annual is next week.

Unpleasant, yes. Worthwhile? Yes, although that's a matter of debate in the medical field. My older, somewhat jaded internist still recommends them.

I've had enough friends that have had breast cancer to motivate me...

Edited by GVA

I was a bit shocked at the poster who said she had bruising.......I really don't think that should have happened.

It was me. :)

I was surprised by the bruising too, since I'd never heard that mentioned before, but then I started asking around and found that I wasn't the only one. I realize it's not super-duper common, but thought I'd toss it out there as a possibility just in case. I've only had one mammogram though, so I'm curious to see if the same thing happens again, or if I maybe just had a rough or inexperienced tech (?).

I have to have them yearly because of family history and personal history of fibrous cysts in mine. It's not the most comfortable thing but what amazes me is that they could be moved like they did! And I nursed my youngest for 2 plus years and he was an acrobat.:lol:

I've always said I was 36 B before nursing and now I'm a 42 long.

I have to have them yearly because of family history and personal history of fibrous cysts in mine. It's not the most comfortable thing but what amazes me is that they could be moved like they did! And I nursed my youngest for 2 plus years and he was an acrobat.:lol:

I've always said I was 36 B before nursing and now I'm a 42 long.

:lol: on second thought... :smilielol5:

Here's how mine went--

I disrobe to the waist and they give me a hospital gown. I take off all necklaces.

We go into the room--the mammogram thing (what is the actual name of the device? lol--Big Squisher?) has two glass plates.

The tech assists you in leaning way forward, and takes your breast (or you do, or you do with help) and lays it on the bottom glass plate. It is uncomfortable. If you are B&F (big and floppy), it's actually easier to get the majority of your breast on the plate.

Then the tech lowers the top plate to the point where your breast is squished between the two plates--the idea is to flatten your breast as much as they can.

They leave the room, press the button, and you are done. They unclamp you from the machine, and you are usually good to go.

I agree, it was pretty easy. It didn't take nearly as long and wasn't nearly as uncomfortable as the breast mri (my baby sister was diagnosed with breast cancer at 29, I'm at high risk even though I'm not even 40).

I agree, it was pretty easy. It didn't take nearly as long and wasn't nearly as uncomfortable as the breast mri (my baby sister was diagnosed with breast cancer at 29, I'm at high risk even though I'm not even 40).

Oh I have to ask...sorry all.

I'm about to face the mri as well. How is it more uncomfortable? Just the machine issue or more pulling and squeezing?

Feel free to pm if I ask to much publicly.

TIA!

I have to say I was glad to see this thread. I have my first one next week. They didn't tell me anything about deoderant and perfume when scheduling. I will just leave it off.

At least I know what to expect now. :001_huh: Thanks for starting this thread!

I have to say I was glad to see this thread. I have my first one next week. They didn't tell me anything about deoderant and perfume when scheduling. I will just leave it off.

At least I know what to expect now. :001_huh: Thanks for starting this thread!

Sure, no problem. I've learned over the last couple of years that the hive knows all.