Menu

Homeschool Room in the Kitchen...

and I need ideas!!! I have 3 "students" this year 1st, 2nd, and 4th grades and our book case is over flowing!! I need to see/hear some tips on how to keep things organized and neat and easy to access! Each kid has a magazine file with their workbooks/notebooks/readers. Then next to that I have all the TMS for that kiddo. Next shelf up is the spines for the year. Then the top is the MUS blocks and other shared items we use daily. On top is my pens, dry erase markers and flash cards. The problem is my 4th graders file is too full! Actually I cant fit all of her books in it. Mainly because ILL is so thick~ giggle~

Inspire me!!! :)

Do you have a pantry? Maybe you could convert that to a homeschool shelving area. Or . . . maybe you could put a corner cabinet in the table area for homeschool books, etc. How about a "window seat" book case in the eating area?

A few years ago, our homeschool room was in the kitchen. Our nearby laundry room did double duty by also serving as our pantry.

I got this from Ikea:

0092710_PE229408_S3.JPG

I added these baskets from Amazon.com (Whitmor 6581-1981-JAVA Large Woven Strap Tote, Java )

51I7hyTi6uL._SX100_.jpg

The baskets are quite large and can hold everything needed for school incuding tm's. I had one for ds 4th grade last year and it held everything he needed for school. He just took out his basket and he was good to go. Since I will only have 3 using baskets, the other 5 baskets are used for things like library books and eventually manipluative stuff once little into everything daughter gets over her obsession with destruction.

Beth

This isn't exactly an answer to the question you asked but...if you have the room...the best thing I ever did was to get a separate table from our eating table and use it for the school table. We do have a large kitchen so that makes it possible but I can't believe how much better my kitchen feels now. We can still use the bigger table for projects but now the smaller school table, which sits against two walls in a corner, can continue to hold bins, tubs, etc. as necessary and my eating table is always cleaned off for dinner! I got the table at Walmart for about $150? I've seen the same one in Walmarts across the country so I think it is their standard stock. It's got a cherry-like top and dark legs. I bought a clear table cloth and keep it covered (sometimes with a map underneath.) That was my biggest improvement to my kitchen last year.

I got this from Ikea:

0092710_PE229408_S3.JPG

I added these baskets from Amazon.com (Whitmor 6581-1981-JAVA Large Woven Strap Tote, Java )

51I7hyTi6uL._SX100_.jpg

The baskets are quite large and can hold everything needed for school incuding tm's. I had one for ds 4th grade last year and it held everything he needed for school. He just took out his basket and he was good to go. Since I will only have 3 using baskets, the other 5 baskets are used for things like library books and eventually manipluative stuff once little into everything daughter gets over her obsession with destruction.

Beth

How did that basket hold up? That is one issue I have.. things wear out quick! Did you store TMs for your student AND his idividual work together?

This isn't exactly an answer to the question you asked but...if you have the room...the best thing I ever did was to get a separate table from our eating table and use it for the school table. We do have a large kitchen so that makes it possible but I can't believe how much better my kitchen feels now. We can still use the bigger table for projects but now the smaller school table, which sits against two walls in a corner, can continue to hold bins, tubs, etc. as necessary and my eating table is always cleaned off for dinner! I got the table at Walmart for about $150? I've seen the same one in Walmarts across the country so I think it is their standard stock. It's got a cherry-like top and dark legs. I bought a clear table cloth and keep it covered (sometimes with a map underneath.) That was my biggest improvement to my kitchen last year.

I wish my Kitchen was big enough! That sounds like a great idea! Our rooms arent even big enough for the kids to have a desk of their own. We almost bought some school ones (think highschool style) but decided it wouldnt work for us. The table is fine as long as we have totes to pick up with. We eat in the living room at lunch time. :tongue_smilie: I also have a small table for my 1st grader in the living room. He schools there.

We also homeschool mainly in the kitchen. I have a pantry with curtains instead of doors; the right side holds bins with food, and the left holds the boys' homeschool bins. Each boy has a bin for his individual work - workbooks, reading books, binders, etc. The bins largely stay in the pantry and they pull out the book they need, though sometimes they pull out the whole bin and take it to a quieter place to work alone for a bit - I like the portability of this option. I found the bins at walmart in the rubbermaid section. They are a bit bigger than a dishpan with handles on the sides, and they are just the right size for my pantry (though I'm loving that Ikea shelf idea!!!). I require them to clean up all their work before lunch so I can see my table at least once mid-day, and again before history in the afternoons.

I have a big old buffet that likely once graced a country store, and it holds art supplies/paper/etc underneath, and an old bookshelf tucked in a corner to hold my TMs, poetry books, etc. All our history and other reading materials are in the living room housed in shelves beside the fireplace, and we do our history and read-alouds out there on the couch.

I know people love having separate schoolrooms - and I do get schoolroom envy - but doing it this way has worked really well for us and we are all just very used to books and children's artwork as decor. :001_smile:

Blessings,

Aimee

mom to 6 great kids ages 7-19, schooling grades 1, 3, 3, and 6

I have several of the ikea shelves in my house. They are wonderful and well made. I have purchased the soft sided boxes from target to put in them. They are only $10 and have held up through 2 years of homeschooling. They come in several colors, so we have 1 color for each child.

Organizing definitely makes homeschooling easier! Good luck!

I have several of the ikea shelves in my house. They are wonderful and well made. I have purchased the soft sided boxes from target to put in them. They are only $10 and have held up through 2 years of homeschooling. They come in several colors, so we have 1 color for each child.

Organizing definitely makes homeschooling easier! Good luck!

I'll have to look up the target ones.

Is that a blank wall I see?:lol::lol: Can you fit some low shelving across that wall. Then you have a top and shelves.

That is a blank wall. I think my husband would object to that idea. LOL. And the chair that is closest to that wall sorta would be in the way.. Now if it were MY house....:lol:

I use wooden bins on casters (with chalkboards on the front). They roll under the desk that is next to the table and they hold *a lot* of books and supplies. They are also very sturdy. Target and Pottery Barn used to make them. I think you would have to find them used now. It is driving me crazy that they stopped making them because I only have 3 and I have 4 children.

Having them on wheels really helps with moving to another room besides the kitchen if we feel like doing some work somewhere else.

I have reference books and a basket of supplies in a 4 opening shelf that holds the fabric bins from Target (although I don't use the bins in this one).

These are the bins I use in my pantry (I'm pretty sure mine are the same size), both for kids' books (they each have one) and for dry goods:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sterilite-Jumbo-Ultra-Basket-Set-of-6/10401033#ProductDetail

Not nearly as pretty as pottery barn or ikea, but they fit nicely in my pantry, can be moved from place to place, are sturdy and can be multi-purposed as needed. My TMs are mainly on my own bookshelf but if I didn't have the space for that, I'd likely buy my own bin and put my TMs there.

Blessings,

Aimee

mom to 6 great kids ages 7-19, schooling grades 1, 3, 3 and 6

These are the bins I use in my pantry (I'm pretty sure mine are the same size), both for kids' books (they each have one) and for dry goods:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sterilite-Jumbo-Ultra-Basket-Set-of-6/10401033#ProductDetail

Not nearly as pretty as pottery barn or ikea, but they fit nicely in my pantry, can be moved from place to place, are sturdy and can be multi-purposed as needed. My TMs are mainly on my own bookshelf but if I didn't have the space for that, I'd likely buy my own bin and put my TMs there.

Blessings,

Aimee

mom to 6 great kids ages 7-19, schooling grades 1, 3, 3 and 6

I have some of those! I just used them! It took some moving around and I'll need to use our huge filing cabnet but I think that is my solution! Im using the old magazine files for TM's. That way when its someones turn with Mom time I just grab the file I need.. Thanks Mamas!

We school primarily in the kitchen/dining area too. I have a long, low bookcase that holds both books and a couple of baskets where the kids keep their work. I store all my TM's in one of our bigger bookcases. I also have a small (3 drawer) dresser that holds arts and crafts supplies, math manipulatives, etc (also in the dinig area). The kids also have a good sized bookcase in their room for more of their own books.

I like the baskets because they can easily pick those up and move them off the table for dinner time!

I have a schoolroom (supposed to be a formal dining room) but because my little was all over the place while I schooled the older I had to do this year in our kitchen. I used one of those rolling milk cart looking things. I got the one at office depot. It held everything (book-wise) for our work, including TMs. I usually kept the current manipulatives in there as well. It worked great! Then I just wheeled it onto my room at night for planning or whatever.

My little will get a little work this year and her stuff should fit as well. Eventually I'll probably have a cart per grade/student.

Works for me!

We have a wardrobe chest repurposed in the kitchen. It sits in one corner at an angle. It has 2 doors, we took the wardrobe bar out, so the main area is big and put in some stackable shelves to keep it more organized. This is where our wb's,craft/art supplies,etc are stored. It also has 2 large drawers on the bottom that hold manipulatives, board games, etc. We keep the doors closed and no one can see the mess, plus I hang their artwork on the outside to display...I've also thought about getting the stickable chalkboard panels to put on the outside to do double duty.

How did that basket hold up? That is one issue I have.. things wear out quick! Did you store TMs for your student AND his idividual work together?

IKEA has container options for this shelf as well. If you look here, you can see it can be fitted with 2 drawers or a cupboard door sized to fit each cubby. That would help corral things a bit.

Seems like you found your solution! Another idea (or a supplemental one) would be to hang one of these on your kids' chairs, or something like it.

That is cool! I dont think my DH would go for it. Anybody else's DH anal about HS only taking up one small area? He hates when I have maps or what not on the wall and barely tollerates my 3 shelf bookcase and white board!:D

Previous poster.

I have a big old buffet that likely once graced a country store, and it holds art supplies/paper/etc

We do the same here. The buffet/ China cabinet was emptied of curios and Wedding gifts that were rarely used and filled with our treasures ( snake skins, conk shells, butterfly collections, rocks etc). The main shelf I line up books for the next nine weeks. The bottom cabinet holds math manipulatives, extra paper supplies, and material saved for the youngest.

The other storage solution was the linen closet. Extra sheets and blankets went between the boxsprings and matresses. A few went in large plastic storage containers in the garage. The linen closet is now full of labeled boxes of books for different time periods. The grocery store piles up thick card board boxes that gallons of milk are shipped in. These thick boxes even have handle holes already cut in the ends.

I have something similar to this for each child. Then I have a slightly larger one for myself that holds all of the TMs. When school time comes they each get their boxes out and go where they want to. When its time for a subject with me, they bring me my box and their book. It has worked really well for us the 2 years we've been doing it this way. One thing I like about this way, is it makes school pretty portable. If we need to run errands in town, they each bring their boxes along and we can still get our work done. We have a line of these across the bottom shelf of our bookcase now, but in the past I've used a little wire rack from Target for them.

I have a bay window or garden window or whatever you call it, it seems different depending on where you live? Anyway, our kitchen table is pushed up against it and it used to be pretty and decorated... Now it's home school stroage! Not nearly as pretty but necessary.

I'm also thinking about getting the Sauder Project Organizer to put in the kitchen... it's not that big so it would fit! I think I can organize all the binders and stuff pretty well on this.

That is cool! I dont think my DH would go for it. Anybody else's DH anal about HS only taking up one small area? He hates when I have maps or what not on the wall and barely tollerates my 3 shelf bookcase and white board!:D

Yes, mine! I'm currently trying to figure out a HS room in our new house which we haven't moved into yet. We originally wanted a house w/ a dedicated HS room but we found this property that was gorgeous and went for the property rather than the large house w/ HS room. So now we have a small house w/ no dedicated HS room. :001_huh:

My fourth grade son keeps all of his school books and flash cards in a large dishpan. The normal size was too small. It's very sturdy (wicker is not). I glued a rectangle piece of cheap felt material to the bottom (fabric glue). This prevents our wooden shelf from being scratched. We homeschool in our dining room, and that's where my little 3 shelf book case is. I only keep what we are using for the semester on that book case.

Is there anywhere in your home that shelves could be put in all the way to the ceiling? My husband built some for me for Mother's Day, and it helped a ton.

My fourth grade son keeps all of his school books and flash cards in a large dishpan. The normal size was too small. It's very sturdy (wicker is not). I glued a rectangle piece of cheap felt material to the bottom (fabric glue). This prevents our wooden shelf from being scratched. We homeschool in our dining room, and that's where my little 3 shelf book case is. I only keep what we are using for the semester on that book case.

Is there anywhere in your home that shelves could be put in all the way to the ceiling? My husband built some for me for Mother's Day, and it helped a ton.

I'm planning to build some of these for our dining room and/or school area:

http://www.knock-offwood.com/2010/03/plans-2x4-rolling-cubbies-console-table.html

There is a built-in look version that would be cool if you had an unused corner.

http://www.knock-offwood.com/2010/03/plans-2x4-rolling-cubbies-console-table.html

There is a built-in look version that would be cool if you had an unused corner.

I might loose my whole day on that site!! I love those shelves.

Right now, we are using the buffet/hutch that came along with dh's grammy's old kitchen table. I relocated all of my cookbooks and opened up

the top for all of our books, workbooks, flashcards, art materials, etc. The bottom cabinets hold all of our games and some science stuff. The bulk of our science experiment materials are on the back shelf of our under-the-stairs pantry. It's working for now, but if I don't quit buying curriculum, I'm going to be out of space fast! :001_huh:

I would cover every wall in my house in Expedit bookcases, if only dh would let me. :001_smile:

I might loose my whole day on that site!! I love those shelves.

No kidding!

I am building a bunny cage as we speak (well, sort of--dd is working on it right now, then I'll get the next step going), then it's on to barstools from Ana's site! Someone has free Dutch rabbits and offered them to families with kids. Priorities!

I'm planning to at least get those stools cut today and head to the lumber yard for pine for the matching table. I can't wait to try some of the indoor furniture, but we have NO outdoor furniture now and since it's summer that has to be first. I'm figuring on a 3 pc bar set for near the garden, and the dining table and two benches, two lounge chairs and an ottoman for the deck. I'd like to make two of the stacking chairs but that will be last.

We keep all of our homeschool books in a separate playroom/school room, but mostly do school in the kitchen. I'm really picky about the kitchen being clutter free so I keep a set of plastic drawers (the clear and white kind from Walmart) for each kid. I keep whatever they are currently working on in their respective drawers--math, history, language arts, etc. That way they can easily pull out what they need. As they finish a book, I move it back up to the school room and replace it with new ones.

Jackie

I ended up confenscating an old filing cabnet from my garage. It aint pretty right now but its working wonderfully! That is right next to my little bookcase and it made all the difference! I still have my HS cabnet, my 3 bookshelves of book in the living room and some storage in the playroom closet! But as far as what we need for the year its all easy accesss! I will post pics once its all tidied! I cant believe this project has taken me two days!

I built some expidit type bookcases in my playroom. They are really awesome! I wish my kitchen were big enough for storage like that! But its not!

Also I put another folding table in my laundry room for some of the kids to work at. So that leaves the kitchen table, small childs table in the living room and folding table in the laundry room for desk space! Today we had no issues with concentrating on math at all!! Whooot!

Mine is the same way!! He would grumble about 1 poster on the fridge!! :glare: One day I took off all the pictures in the breakfast room and huge up posters and maps. I also made two strings across our big bay window for art hanging. I thought he'd be mad when he came home, but all he said was... "I guess this is the school room?" :lol:

Our stuff is here, there, and everywhere right now. I, fortunately, have a lot of cabinet space in the kitchen. One cabinet under the counter is devoted to coloring books, workbooks, crayons, markers, etc. I can fit three smaller fabric bins under there and there is a shelf in the back of it. The drawer above it holds pens, pencils, scissors, tape, misc. office stuff.

I have a couple shelves in our laundry room cabinet that has paints, chalk, extra glue.

I have the bulk of our stuff upstairs in the office. This is currently under reorganization and shared with DH. :ack2: I have some plastic drawers for crafting supplies. A cabinet that holds my books, TMs, and extra...stuff!

I really want to get everything in one place, but I don't know if that's even possible!

We use a form of the 'shelf/ basket' system. We just got the linen baskets at Walmart 2 for 10.00 and they have a little place in the front for the name, and they sit on a shelf in the living room which is next to the kitchen. We also have an island that has a cabinet in it, where I keep teacher manuals. :)

I'm still watching this for more good ideas, though!

We use a form of the 'shelf/ basket' system. We just got the linen baskets at Walmart 2 for 10.00 and they have a little place in the front for the name, and they sit on a shelf in the living room which is next to the kitchen. We also have an island that has a cabinet in it, where I keep teacher manuals. :)

I'm still watching this for more good ideas, though!

I have those in my playroom. I found they werent even big enough! That is what I pulled out first! That and after 2.5 years in the playroom with 3 boys they are toast. :lol:

Could it be you have too many books? Hee, hee. . .that's not even possible is it?? ;)

My personal declaration is. . .I don't have too many books, I'm just one bookshelf short!

We do the bulk of our work in the kitchen too, so I had my dh build me a wall length shelf that perfectly fit the space I had along one of the walls.

If you've got a handy dh, this might be an idea. We used MDF board and built a shelf about 9 ft long, painted and finished for about $100. We also use baskets and different types of organizing containers from Walmart and Target. Oh, and Target has some metal shelves that go on sale all the time, these are handy too. They always say "go UP" when space is limited!

You can see pic's of some of the things I'm talking about on my blog. . .

http://seasonsoflearning.blogspot.com/2010/01/peek-at-our-school-at-home.html

My dh also built the "wall shelves". He made a set of 3 for each of the kiddo's rooms. This helps store a lot of the readers, but keeps them accessible.

HTH!

Blessings,

¸.·´ .·´¨¨))

((¸¸.·´ .·´ -:¦:-Tina ~

-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´*

What a great site! Thanks for sharing the link.

No kidding!

I am building a bunny cage as we speak (well, sort of--dd is working on it right now, then I'll get the next step going), then it's on to barstools from Ana's site! Someone has free Dutch rabbits and offered them to families with kids. Priorities!

I'm planning to at least get those stools cut today and head to the lumber yard for pine for the matching table. I can't wait to try some of the indoor furniture, but we have NO outdoor furniture now and since it's summer that has to be first. I'm figuring on a 3 pc bar set for near the garden, and the dining table and two benches, two lounge chairs and an ottoman for the deck. I'd like to make two of the stacking chairs but that will be last.

You are an inspiration. I used to love watching Home Improvement on PBS with Robin and Dean. Robin was so cool with her tool belt and her skill with power tools. All I can do is paint and hang sheetrock.:tongue_smilie:

ikea also has solid plastic bins that fit that shelf perfectly if baskets are sturdy enough.

What a great site! Thanks for sharing the link.

You are an inspiration. I used to love watching Home Improvement on PBS with Robin and Dean. Robin was so cool with her tool belt and her skill with power tools. All I can do is paint and hang sheetrock.:tongue_smilie:

You should probably know that I'm a klutz. :D I'm sitting here with a hammer injury--and not the usual kind. I managed to hurt myself by stepping on it :blink: and the claw dug a nice little chunk out of my foot (I'm so glad it was my little hammer!). A tool belt would have prevented that...

I'm not yet done with the cage, but it's looking pretty good. We'll probably finish it up tomorrow. It needs a roof and some sort of door. I'm kind of making it up as I go along, and I'm going to sleep on it (not literally of course) before finishing it up. I know one thing for sure--it is much bigger than it needs to be for one little Dutch rabbit. :tongue_smilie: