Menu

Just My Opinion on The Old Forum

I happen to of found the old forum of WTM, and May I add I love it better then the way this one is :)

Just my opinion

Yeah, a lot of us miss it. But it's the only way we can get this many people into a space a) without spammers and b) without being precariously close to crashing the system all the time. :001_smile:

The edit feature is wonderful, though.

I happen to of found the old forum of WTM, and May I add I love it better then the way this one is :)

Just my opinion

I stumbled across a couple days ago and sighed. I miss it too. I can't keep up with the constant posts moving back to the top of the board, some getting completely buried. Opening messages all the time.... :crying:

There are some things I liked better about the old boards, but there are definitely things I like better about this one. If it makes it easier for SWB and crew, then I'm happy to be here! They are, after all, footing the bills and I'm grateful!

I like this one better, because I am not so distracted by every post...I seem to be able to discriminate better which ones to read....havent worked out quite why yet.

Oh yeah, and like Pam, love the edit function here. It was a bit of a bummer not being able to do that on the other board.

Peela

It must be a visual thing. I had a hard time with the old boards, the replies and questions seemed to blend (I'm going blind I think). Posts for me were quickly buried and it took me forever older posts. I can find all the post here so much easier, and keep track of the ones I have replied to. But, I can see how this board would be very frustrating to someone with dial-up or slow dsl, and those who liked the old flow of conversation (all in one great big room) instead of many small rooms here.

I'm on dial-up and it is a pain, generally, but doesn't seem to be an issue here. I tried to participate in the old boards and could never find my posts. I wondered sometimes if people thought I was ignoring them or something because, if they responded, I couldn't find it.

This is much easier to keep track of, and less time consuming.

I only visited the old forums a couple of times and never posted. I prefer this format simply because it's what I'm accustomed to elsewhere online.

I want to say that I appreciate seeing people with over 100 or 200 posts making this observation. As a moderator elsewhere, I find it VERY frustrating to have people complaining unendingly when they have only posted once or twice after a change. They are simply resistant to change. By waiting to make this observation until you have obviously spent a good deal of time under the new format, you lend a lot more credence to your opinion.

:)

There are some things I liked better about the old boards, but there are definitely things I like better about this one. If it makes it easier for SWB and crew, then I'm happy to be here! They are, after all, footing the bills and I'm grateful!

:iagree: At first I was really overwhelmed with the "differentness", and I pined for the familiarity and simplicity of the old boards. (Can you tell I have a difficult time with change?) But now I really love it. It's great to be able to see people's personalities expressed in their avatars or be able to really see what they look like in their photos. I like having access to information about how long someone has been a member and how many posts they have, and to be able to go back and review old posts easily if I desire.

Having signature lines where we can list the ages of our kids is very helpful. I remember an incident quite a while ago on the old forums in which a long-time poster requested that people include their dc's ages or the number of years they had been hsing when they were replying with advice. Some people took offense to that request. I must admit at the time I did feel a slight indignance, being a first-year hser, but I also felt that it was a good suggestion. It is helpful to know from whence information and advice is coming. While I feel that even first-year hsers often have a lot to contribute (In fact, the best new idea I received last week came from the parent of a preschooler who isn't technically hsing yet), it is nice to know whether someone is at the same point as oneself and can commisserate and share what is currently working or if someone is speaking from much more experience and can offer more seasoned advice. Both are helpful, it's just nice to know.

And despite much controversy surrounding it, I find the reputation system to be a positive addition. I love the ease with which we can send private messages or e-mails, also. Overall, I think the positive changes outweigh the negatives for me. But it took me a couple months to start feeling that way!

I'm on dial-up and it is a pain, generally, but doesn't seem to be an issue here. I tried to participate in the old boards and could never find my posts. I wondered sometimes if people thought I was ignoring them or something because, if they responded, I couldn't find it.

This is much easier to keep track of, and less time consuming.

Oh, see, I find *this* format much more difficult when trying to find my posts (not that they've been all that important or anything, lol). Control-F was sufficient for me to find anywhere on a page I had posted. Now I have to go through several steps to do that.

But I would rather have this format than no forum at all.:D

Oh, see, I find *this* format much more difficult when trying to find my posts (not that they've been all that important or anything, lol). Control-F was sufficient for me to find anywhere on a page I had posted. Now I have to go through several steps to do that.

It's all what you're used to. I would find CTRL-F for pages and pages trying to find something to be too many steps. Here, "User Control Panel" does it in one click. I seemed to have a knack for posting just before the switch, and I never knew where I was, or whether I should repost on the new page. :D

The biggest plus I find here is being able to tell what I've read. It was probably a browser issue, but every time I pulled up the old board, all the links showed up as new. So I ended up reading posts over and over because I couldn't remember if I'd read them or not.

The nice thing about the old board was being able to put the reply in the subject line, with a (nt) or (m) indicator, so you would know whether there was more or not. I still clicked on a lot of (nt) messages, but that was my fault. :blush:

But I've grown accustomed to this one now and have learned my way around here quite nicely. All of the bells and whistles once drove me nuts, but it's nice to have some of those features too. And FWIW, I even use the rep feature now, whereas in the past I avoided it altogether. I don't, however, consult the rep list in order to figure out whose opinions to trust or not here on these boards. I appreciate everyone's input regardless of how many rep points they have. I can see where rep points would be helpful when it comes to buying and selling curricula, though. The boards do move fast, but I've figured out my own ways of keeping up. I think this is one of the very best homeschool forums on the net and I'm glad it's here! So to those who are mourning the old boards or overwhelmed by this new one, hang in there...You'll find your groove here eventually.

There are some things about the old board that I miss. I am kind of sad that one of our long-standing inside jokes has been rendered obsolete by this format.

But 95% of me prefers this format by far.

The old WTM was my first experience of message boards, basically. So at first I thought the format was great. Then I began to venture out into the Wide World and found that there was so much more to message boards. And I would get frustrated with the limitations of the old board. When this new format made its debut, it was very easy for me to navigate because I'd already been on plenty of other similar boards.

So all in all, I like this better. The old one was a dinosaur. It was truly one of the last of its kind. And look at this place now. See how it has grown! I certainly hope that it's been a worthwhile venture for the folks at PHP.

Okay, that's all for now.

95% of me prefers this format by far.

The old WTM was my first experience of message boards, basically. So at first I thought the format was great. Then I began to venture out into the Wide World and found that there was so much more to message boards.

That has been my experience almost to the letter. Well put. Thanks.

SWB

I really like this new format but would LOVE to see a few more boards so that this general one doesn't move so fast. If you don't visit several times a day you need to go through 3, 4 or 5 pages of posts.

I would love to see a general board, maybe a parenting one, homemaking, etc. so that we could find our posts easier.

I like the old format better.

I understand that this format has all kinds of great things about it. It's more secure, searches are easier, whatever. But the "conversations" seem quite opaque to me. Many times in the old format I would become interested in a thread because of something posted within the tread, not the original post. I can't see that in this format.

This format works well for low volume message boards, but breaks down with high volumes.

Just my opinion.

ALSO: People seem to have a lot of trouble posting responses to the message they intend to post under in this format. Case in point: I meant for this to go under the OP and instead it ended up here.

I love it here now, but I was one of the biggest babies about it, and kept posting on the old board after everyone else was gone. I just hate anything new, you know?

But this is beyond cool, compared to what we were used to. Subscriptions can go straight to your email, pming is very convenient, and best of all. Oh, yes, best of all.

19.gif2.gif12.gif4.gif

I'm in love with these little weirdos.