Menu

Handwriting-What do you use? Like and dislike about it?

ChrissySC

Recently, I have been evaluating handwriting. From Spencerian, Classical, so-called Traditional, D'Nealean, Italic, etc.

What did you choose and why? Was it easy? Does it look good on paper? Do you wish you would have taught something else?

I think, with all the talk of penmanship, that this is a topic in need of discussion.

I falter on some of the styles and lean heavily to my own traditional/classical method. I was taught from ZB. However, some of the italic styles look disjointed to me, and appear more as a short print method. I am disuaded from approaching many of the styles as they approach it as a way to write fast and not as cursive once was - which was a legible and neat method of communciation (read some on Spencer). The resurgance of the Spencer style, although the approach appears totally foreign at first glance, is something that sparks my interest.

Please feel free to jump in!:bigear:

Guest ToGMom

My 2 "olders" learned cursive in the PS -- one learned "traditional" (sorry, don't know the correct name) and the other learned D'Nealian. They both struggle with neatness and don't really enjoy cursive.

My youngest has used HWOT and has BEAUTIFUL handwriting. He would much rather write in cursive than manuscript.

Whatever program you choose, remember that a child has to be able to write it as well as read it. ;) (one thing my girls have struggled with is all the "loops", tails, etc.)

I have mild cerebral palsy, and therefore handwriting was a struggle for me. The school I attended used Palmer Method (with lots of little loops and extras and a heavy slant. Beautiful, almost calligraphic handwriting) but my brain and muscles simply couldn't manage it. It wasn't until 5th grade that I was given OT, and the first thing the OT did was to teach me to write in cursive in a simple, direct style.

It wasn't until I was an adult and took HWOT teacher training that I realized that I'd probably been taught using an early version of HWOT-because that's the way I write.

I don't know that HWOT is needed for all kids, but it worked for me, and it works for my DD, who tends to want to do skills earlier than her body is really ready for them, so having a very gentle approach helps to let her develop the motor skills as she also develops the writing skills. And at 5, she had very nice, clear manuscript and is well on the way to having very nice cursive as well.

My eldest DS has always had beautiful handwriting (even at 6). He is very artistic, could draw very early, etc. I think I will be doing Zaner-Bloser with him, but have also looked at the Spencerian style for him. I am considering trying HWOT for DS5 because he has no interest in writing, colours all over the place, doesn't really hold a pen properly.

Personally, my writing is a mix of manuscript and cursive.

OOh I have had an eye on the Spencerian books. Ds has horrible writing, he seems to need something that will slow him down and make him focus on making thins pretty. I was hoping it might help improve his writing across the board. ZB just hasn't worked for him.

Can't wait to see the response you get.

Danielle

I don't use a particular style or any workbooks at all. We do copywork instead of penmanship. I have three different handwriting mats that I picked up from the teacher store over the years which my kids use as a visual reference for making their letters. I aim for simplicity, but my girls each have a style of their own. Doing the handwriting this way has allowed my older dd to develop a beautiful cursive and print style with no trouble.

Guest ToGMom
My 2 "olders" learned cursive in the PS -- one learned "traditional" (sorry, don't know the correct name) and the other learned D'Nealian. They both struggle with neatness and don't really enjoy cursive.

My youngest has used HWOT and has BEAUTIFUL handwriting. He would much rather write in cursive than manuscript.

Whatever program you choose, remember that a child has to be able to write it as well as read it. ;) (one thing my girls have struggled with is all the "loops", tails, etc.)

Just another thought...someone mentioned "Fix It -- Write" to me for my middle child. It looks promising...

After looking through many, I decided on A reason for Handwriting.(You can see samples of all the books at that link) It looks similar to how I was taught, goes through the same progression. I have a friend who taught itallics and cursive right away before getting a good grasp on printing and her childrens handwriting is VERY messy and hard to read. Then I found out a friend used A reason for handwriting and I saw her books and that sealed the deal for me. I loved it!

We use D'Nealian and both boys have good handwriting. Funny, that someone mentioned slant because neither of my boys slant their writing. I tried to get them to slant the paper and they hated it. So both write straight up and down, and it works.

I get the D'Nealian workbooks from RR.

I use the Start software. My kids have learned with HWOT - the oldest can now read all types of cursive but the cursive newbies have trouble. Therefore, they have trouble translating copywork that is written in a different style.

In their CLE books, I re-type all the copywork and make it HWOT style. We practice reading the more traditional. Once they have the reading down, I stop making the separate pages for them.

I also re-typed all the copywork for the Draw, Write, Now books and make it cursive. It is a fun way to use the books for olders.

I do lots of sheets for the preschool crowd too. The software has been a valuable tool for us.

I just bought a handwriting pad from walmart, write letters or words or sentences in a highlighter, make red dots at starting points of letters with a pen and hand it to him. I tried a few different workbooks, (Getty Dubay, one from B&N, and free printouts online), but this method seems to work best for us so far.

R&S I found it after dd struggled with Classically Cursive. She didn't get how to make the little loops and such. R&S had her do pages of them. :D It really helped and now she does Spencerian when she has time. [it isn't a priority now that she writes so neatly.]

It is lovely to read, and has seemed easy to learn -- came highly recommended by others in our history co-op.

My kid had no trouble transitioning to this from the style she learned in PS. We actually skipped all formal instruction, she just mimicked what she saw until it became second nature. I require writing and other assignments to be done 'neatly', and she now gets what I mean.

I actually purchased the font and create all assignments / planning pages using GDI. It helps ME remember to write neatly too, not an easy feat!

We don't use an actual program. We used some simple workbooks like the Kumon ones for capital and lowercase letters and have just done copywork from that point. So far it is working for us although i think i will look at a program when we move to cursive since i don't have good cursive to model myself.

Thanks for the link Amber, I downloaded the trial to the software. It has the italic, which is similar to my older girls print, now they are going to start doing more cursive as it isn't such a massive change from printing to handwriting. I am using history for copy work to help them with their facts on what we are studying.

The little one is working on her printing now :) We are using it for copy work in literature.

We've always used ZB, and it's worked well for us over the years. Now my eldest is looking for something a little more formal. We love Spencerian, but it seems like it's not that practical, and maybe it's more of an art form. We've settled on SmithHand. http://smithhand.com/cursive.html

I plan to order it for next year. I like that it's attractive and can be written quickly. I can see doing Spencerian in high school years.

• 3 months later...
where do you buy Spencerian?

I bought mine off amazon. I'm not using it with the kids yet, but I may do when they're older. At the moment, my right-hander is using the Christian Liberty Academy series, and my left-hander is using Diana Hanbury King's Cursive Handwriting for Left-Handers. (that might not be the exact title but it'll be close - can't find the book atm!)

We use D'Nealian and both boys have good handwriting. Funny, that someone mentioned slant because neither of my boys slant their writing. I tried to get them to slant the paper and they hated it. So both write straight up and down, and it works.

I get the D'Nealian workbooks from RR.

SWEET!! :hurray: That is exactly what I was thinking about doing and was wondering if that would be "ok". D'Nealian seems to be that "in-between" style I've been looking for. Thanks!