Menu

What do you do for memory work for what grades/ages?

We start very young with nursery rhymes and songs.

I use FLL and use that for a source with memory work, and I also follow some of the additional recommendations in TWTM.

Now that we are done with FLL for my oldest, I have been choosing additional poetry. For example, in December she worked to memorize 'Twas the Night Before Christmas.

I'm now working on my list for next year for her, and would love to hear of other recommendations.

Edited by JoyfulMama
typo

We've used song thus far for all our memory work and usually do it in the car. We started a few months ago and so far do the 1st 28 prepositions from our grammar(Easy Grammar), the states, the books of the New Testament, helping verbs and the planets.

Other than doing the books of the Old Testament, I'm not sure what to do next.

Brownie

Edited by brownie
sorry - boys are 7 and 9..the 5 year old tags along and has learned much of it.

For my now 2nd grader, we did alot of bible verses (using a reason for handwriting) and now we are starting to up that using our character building books. I am going to get some of the audio memory CD's and have her do state capitals (next year), the history cd for history memory work, and the geography cd for geography memory work. As well as math facts (ofcourse). I am thinking maybe some poetry, but I need to look and see what ones we want to do.

What age do you start? Do you start in K? Before? 1st? I am just starting with my kindergartener (we just started K last week because he finally is ready!!!!! I didnt think he would ever be ready :001_huh:!!!!) So we are working on simple letter poems (1-2 lines)

My 6th grader is doing bible verses, she is doing poetry, We are doing government in 8th, so she will do alot of government related stuff then. She is doing math formula's, and we are working on books of the bible (we started homeschooling last year, so yes, she is behind in memory work) Oh, and she did alot of science related memory work this year. I am looking for more ideas for her. What does WTM recommend for a rising 7th grader?

Edited by wy_kid_wrangler04

What age do you start? Do you start in K? Before? 1st? I am just starting with my kindergartener (we just started K last week because he finally is ready!!!!! I didnt think he would ever be ready :001_huh:!!!!) So we are working on simple letter poems (1-2 lines)

We start early; my 2 year old (admittedly less than a month before she's 3) does parts of all our memory work (I expect less than the others, obviously). I started having her do some when she started spouting off the memory work from the other children. We do Bible memory, we do the Catechism for Young Children, the Apostle's and Nicene Creed, we do the IEW poetry memorization program, we work on skip counting (and regular counting!), phone numbers, addresses, hymns, folk and patriotic songs, nursery rhymes, whatever. They do great! Small amounts at a time (we do a verse a week on hymns, a stanza a week, a Bible verse a week, etc.)

We also give them a chance to recite (we try weekly, soccer has hurt that schedule recently). It gives them a chance to show what they know and, we hope, will be a beginning to help them with public speaking in the future.

I can't explain to you how satisfying it is to hear & see them recite ... and to hear them be able to bring ideas from catechism/Bible into our conversations. And we always hear about Celery when it is served [grin]

I followed a suggestion from Kendra here (http://www.preschoolersandpeace.com) to make a memory work folder for the kids at the beginning of the year with everything they will memorize over the course of the year. This consists of some scriptures I chose, the appropriate lists from WTM for the grade/time period (kings of England, first 13 colonies, continents, tectonic plates, planets, Preamble to the Constitution, etc.), poems, math formulae and anything else they may need to learn such as the scout oath, memory verses for church, etc. This year I included the Navy ranks and insignia so the kids would be familiar with them when we attended my brother's graduation from OCS. I also included the Greek alphabet (found a chart online with upper and lower case Greek letters and pronunciation examples).

We also use FLL for grammar but we do those poems within our grammar lesson for the most part. Memory work is usually one of the first few things we do in the morning and it is mostly independent for DS.

We've followed WTM from the beginning but memory work was just kind of hit or miss before I started doing the notebooks. I would have an idea of what I wanted them to memorize, but we never seemed to get it done. The notebooks are a part of our daily routine. And while it does always seem like an awful lot at the beginning of the year, we generally have completed it all and are just in review mode by February or March.

I also have a 2yo (nearly 3) who is beginning to learn his own memory verses. Generally they are the shortest of the verses the older two are working on. I haven't really asked him to do any poems or lists yet, but he probably could. It all comes down to implementation. :)

Blessings!

Edited by Suzannah

For my first and second graders we just finished memorizing the following:

*All the Presidents of the US in order

*The 9 Supreme Court Justices

* Our Current Administration: President: Barack Hussein Obama II, Vice President: Joseph R. Biden Jr., Secretary Of State: Hilary Rodham Clinton, Secretary of Defense: Robert Michael Gates, Speaker of the House: Nancy Pelosi,

* Our local state Governor and Senators

* The Planets

* The 5 Great Lakes and the definition of a Great Lake

* The Continents and the definition of a Continent

* The Oceans of the World

* 100 Latin words

* 24 Great Paintings and Artists (we use laminated Art postcards for this so my kids can see the paintings and learn the artist and the name of the famous paintings).

* 25 of the Elements from the Periodic Table

* Nursery Rhymes and Poems

* Bible Verses

This summer we are going to continue with The Elements, Latin, Bible Verses, Nursery Rhymes, Poems, Artists and Paintings and add in Kathy Troxels Geography Songs

I made a list at the beginning of the year of what I wanted each to memorize. I was happily checking it over this week as we near the end of the year, and everything was memorized except the Shakespeare sonnet. That is only because we haven't gotten there in SOTW yet.

My lists for this year were as follows. 2nd grade:

Shakespeare Sonnet #18

Kings of England through Elizabeth I

colors of the rainbow

order of the planets

various Bible verses (we did her Sunday school ones)

various poems (we used What Your 2nd Grader Needs to Know for poems.)

math facts (we use R&S math, so this is built in)

K:

pledge of allegiance

girl scout promise

Lord's prayer

the continents

the months in order

***She was also still working on the 4 seasons and days of the week, and she has those down too now, though we started them last year.

Bible verses (the ones in her R&S reading)

poems (she learned 3 Little Kittens, Time to Rise, and the Creation one from R&S

Guest Dulcimeramy

I've been working on this today!

FIRST GRADE SON

Bible

1. Sing the Word A to Z

2. Books of the Bible

3. The Lord's Prayer

4. Psalm 23

Geography

1. Oceans, Lakes, Seas

2. Seven Continents, Their Longest Rivers, and Their Highest Mountains

Personal Information

1. Name, address, phone number, email address

2. Parents' full names and cell phone numbers

Science (this section came from Hannah's link upthread)

1. Colors of the spectrum

2. Names of the planets

3. Five Kingdoms of living things

4. Characteristics of Mammals

5. " " Fish

6. " " Reptiles

7. " " Amphibians

8. " " Insects

9. Six main types of invertebrates

10. Main parts of a flower

Poetry

1. Sing a Song of Sixpence

2. I Had a Little Nut Tree

3. Old King Cole

4. Ding, Dong, Bell

5. There Was an Old Woman Tossed Up in a Basket

6. The North Wind Doth Blow

7. Diddle Diddle Dumpling

8. Fog, by Carl Sandburg

9. Night, by Sara Teasdale

10. Who Has Seen the Wind? by Christina Rossetti

FOURTH GRADE SON

Memory verses

Books of the Bible

The Lord's Prayer

Psalm 1

Psalm 23

12 Apostles

12 Tribes of Israel

10 Commandments

John 14:1-6

The Pledge of Allegiance

My Country, tis of Thee (America)

The Star Spangled Banner

The Preamble to the Constitution (Schoolhouse Rock)

Timeline

(using the timeline at factmonster.com I created an American history timeline for him to learn, similar to CC but to go along with SL Core 3)

Science: same as first grader above

Poetry:

The Land of Counterpane by R.L. Stevenson

Daffodils by Wordsworth

Its Spring Again by Ilo Orleans

The Animal Store by Rachel Field

Wynken, Blynken and Nod by Eugene Field

The Rainbow by de la Mare

The Arrow and the Song by Longfellow

The Eagle by Tennyson

I was going to share the 6th grader's and 8th grader's list, but I have to go do baths and bedtime now.

Wynken, Blynken and Nod by Eugene Field

Dd 7 just recited this for me. So cute!

My girls have memorized a plethora of material from their classical school. We will continue with that pattern as we are transitioning to homeschool in June.

Bible verses

Hymns

Poetry

History facts, songs, lists

Shurley jingles

Personal information

Math facts, skip counting, doubles, etc.

Great thread! I love all the ideas. Thank you, Hannah! I downloaded your file!!! Sending a cyber high-five your direction!

Guest mrsjamiesouth
I made this file a few years ago for our grammar stage memorization.

We've done quite a bit of it, but added things as they interested dd and as we learned about them.

I have this, it is wonderful. Thanks! :D

I started my ds5 with the personl info then moved on to Calendar. Now, he works on a bible verse and a nursery rhyme each week until it is memorized. When we start FLL this Fall I will do the Poems in that and keep on with the bible verses.

My ds9 does a bible verse, a poem and the History dates as we study them.

I started my son with the CC memory work when he was in K. He loved it and it was a big boost to his ego to know so many facts. I also had my daughter do it for a couple of years. the problem I found was that it became too cumbersome to continue to review all 3 cycles of the memory work and I felt it was a waste of time to memorize and then forget it. My kids still remember some of it, but most of it is gone a year after we stopped using the program. The one thing I keep thinking I'd like to do is dig out the VP cards and have them memorize them again and keep that as part of our regular memory program.

Last year, I moved on to IEW Poetry Memorization program and have been very happy with that. I feel that is benefitting both of my kids far more than the CC memory work did, plus it is much more enjoyable. I feel it is expanding their vocabulary and language skills. My daughter's favorite subject is poetry because of this program.

Lisa

We've used song thus far for all our memory work and usually do it in the car. We started a few months ago and so far do the 1st 28 prepositions from our grammar(Easy Grammar), the states, the books of the New Testament, helping verbs and the planets.

Other than doing the books of the Old Testament, I'm not sure what to do next.

Brownie

Do you have song CD's of these that you play in the car? Or do you record yourself and then play that? I'd love to find some memory work on CD but I don't know how to make them myself, or even if I can.

I'm using an adapted Simply Charlotte Mason notebook system that I made up and called Mnemosyne. (That links to it in PDF form on Google Docs.) It should be a keepsake when the kids are big. Right now it's just a very practical, open and go kind of thing. The memory work I chose is in the back of the file, mostly common and frequently referenced poems and speeches. I add academic and religious stuff that corresponds to our focus each year.

Guest Dulcimeramy
I'm using an adapted Simply Charlotte Mason notebook system that I made up and called Mnemosyne. (That links to it in PDF form on Google Docs.) It should be a keepsake when the kids are big. Right now it's just a very practical, open and go kind of thing. The memory work I chose is in the back of the file, mostly common and frequently referenced poems and speeches. I add academic and religious stuff that corresponds to our focus each year.

That is beautiful!!!

Now I'm looking askance at my little file card boxes. They are in four colors, one for each boy, but that's where the cuteness ends.

I just started HS'ing in January. To this point, we have primarily worked on the following:

2nd grader:

Bible verses from his AWANA handbook

Definitions of the parts of speech

Names of the planets

Animal classes

The "30 days hath September" poem

The ("I before E") poem

Greek and Roman gods and goddesses

DD4:

Names of the planets

Animal classes

Songs and nursery rhymes

Thank you for sharing this. I just created mine and it's beautiful. Thank you!!

I've been working on this today!

I was going to share the 6th grader's and 8th grader's list, but I have to go do baths and bedtime now.

:bigear:

I am taking notes, these lists are all great.

Danielle