Menu

Book ideas for 11dd - strong women

I am looking for some books to have my daughter read that feature strong women. One of her friends has been very mean and although I believe in second chances, I also believe in standing up for yourself and not being walked on like a rug. I've talked with my daughter, but she sometimes responds better to reading a book on a topic, mulling it over for a while and then telling me what she would have done differently. I'm striking out in the peer pressure/rotten friends catagory so any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks- Jenise

I just read a great book, The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie, in which the heroine (almost 11) stands up for herself and takes sibling rivalry to whole new heights (maybe lows.) She brushes off and/or responds to quite a few insulting remarks. It's not the main topic of the book - it's a murder mystery set in 1950's England.

One of my all time favorites is Wise Child!

From School Library Journal

Grade 6-8 Wise Child's life takes a new direction when her grandmother dies; her parents are both gone and in all the poverty-stricken village there is no one willing to take her inexcept Juniper, a mysterious healer from Cornwall who lives alone and has decidedly heterodox ideas about the place and purpose of women. Wise Child is self-centered and headstrong, but under Juniper's cheerful tutelage she begins to see herself as part of a world large enough for a liberated view and for magic too; Juniper's an expert witch, a hybrid combination of natural scientist and traditional broom-rider. Wise Child is quickly initiated into the secret arts. Juniper is both too modern and too perfect for the story. She has little difficulty coping with a Good Witch's usual enemies (an evil sorceress and a mob of fearful peasants egged on by the local priest), always arrives in the nick of time to rescue Wise Child, and shows never a trace of fear, impatience, or superstition. When, her many good deeds forgotten, she is about to be burned at the stake, she escapes with Wise Child, and the two find their way to the Isles of the Blessed. Readers may be intrigued both by the characters and by this revisionist view of witchcraft, although they will find a more realistic and involving exploration of it in Margaret Mahy's The Changeover (Macmillan, 1984). John Peters, New York Public Library

Copyright 1987 Reed Business Information, Inc.

*Although this book talks about witchcraft...if you do a study on the author...she was a very strong Catholic.

Edited by simka2

A book I always recommend is Understood Betsy, by Dorothy Canfield Fisher. It's about a little girl who goes from living with her doting, but over-devoted aunts to living with her "dreaded Putney cousins" (who are actually lovely people, but expect her to be able to DO things and be independent) in rural Vermont in the late 19th/early 20th century. The focus of the book is explicitly on being strong, brave, and independent, so it should fit the bill. :)

Thank you for the ideas. We already own the Clarissa books and Understood Betsy...so I guess it is time to pull them off the bookshelf and just lay them on a table and she will pick them up and start reading...if I suggest them, well they sit on a table for a while. I will look into the other books as they all sound really good.

Thanks-

The Enola Holmes mysteries, while not about bullying specifically, are about the strong female main character who refuses to conform to society's expectations about women's roles. She's quite spunky and does stand up to her brothers (one of whom is the famous Sherlock), who want her to settle down and take her proper place. She stands up for other young women as well.

My 16 year old daughter recommends:

Understood Betsy by Dorothy Canfield Fisher

The Moorchild by Eloise McGraw

The Penderwicks by Jeanne Birdsall

Heidi by Johanna Spyri

A Wrinkle in Time by Madeline L'Engle

Anne of Green Gables by Lucy Maud Montgomery

Two Princesses of Bamarre and Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine

She's always sought good, spunky girl characters.

How about Island of the Blue Dolphins? I also love the Austin Series by Madeline L'Engle, especially Troubling A Star. That book in particular is about a teenage girl who finds herself in Antarctica studying penguins and wrapped in a bit of political mystery. It is loaded with suspense and is action packed. I think it is wholly age appropriate. The protagonist has a bit of a crush on another main character and towards the end there is a gun shot, but nothing too mature beyond that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troubling_a_Star

Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

You've gotten lots of great suggestions, but one I haven't seen yet is The Princess Academy by Shannon Hale. It is great for that age and is about using your education, being all you can be, being proud of who you are. It is not about being a princess!