Menu

We may have chicken pox - can someone give me answers?

My kids have, unfortunately, gotten the chicken pox vaccine. I don't want to start a debate on that. They never got a booster.

On Tuesday my 12 yo got about 3 spots on her face. They are about the size of a pencil eraser. They don't itch but were oozing a clear fluid. The first of them to emerge are still oozing. She has gotten 2 more on her jawline. Aside from being tired, she feels fine. It is not debilitating fatigue, just what she considered normal.

This morning my 10 yo showed be a spot on her arm that looks like a large pimple. Again, no itch, but it does hurt when poked. She feels fine.

I know that chicken pox in children who have been vaccinated can present differently. I have heard there can only be a couple of bumps and that is it. I cannot find if that means no itch. Also, are they contagious?

I can't go to the dr. today because my car is in the shop. We are going tomorrow. But, they are in a play tonight. I don't want to go if they are contagious obviously.

Help!

I would think since the spots are oozing that they would be contagious. That's just my guess though. I don't anything about getting chicken pox after you've had the vax. And why is it unfortunate that they got the vax? (Not starting a debate. Just curious. Is there a problem with the vaccine?)

When my oldest boys had chicken pox -- long before the vaccine was developed -- their pediatrician struggled to convince me that it takes only one pock for the child to have the disease. I was so skeptical, but let him "win" the discussion. . . . So, yes, your children are contagious. Call the nurse at your pediatrician's office for a phone consult. They won't charge you for that.

I would think since the spots are oozing that they would be contagious. That's just my guess though. I don't anything about getting chicken pox after you've had the vax. And why is it unfortunate that they got the vax? (Not starting a debate. Just curious. Is there a problem with the vaccine?)

Yes, for some people. Just look it up online, consulting an assortment of sources, in order to learn the pros and cons. (I agree that we don't need a "vax war" today ! :) )

Guest ToGMom
I would think since the spots are oozing that they would be contagious.

Yes...oozing sores mean contagious and they remain contagious until they "dry up".

In my personal experience, (with my son who received the first vaccine in the series but not the rest) a child who has had part of the vaccine series will have LESS obvious symptoms.

We are one of those rare families that get chicken pox over and over and over. My grandfather, and 3 of my children. They all had chicken pox and only a couple of spots. Two of my children were covered and never had another issue. Chicken pox the first time are like fluid filled blisters and itch very badly. With the second or more rounds, they tend to be more red on my children, red outter circles, still fluid filled but the fluid is sort of whitish. They don't seem to complain of itchiness, till the blisters are crusted over. I think it is more of the healing process.

Now I know some will say that they can't have chicken pox over, but my pediatrician as well as the local children's hospital don't call them shingles. They are mystified, because it is almost unheard of to get chickenpox more than once or twice.

If they are chicken pox or not, I would consider fluid filled blisters contagious, unless a doctor told me different. Just to be on the safe side, since chickenpox can be very dangerous to some.

( We have never vaccinated against chicken pox, as the chances of shingles is so much higher for our family. Although only my grandfather has had shingles. )

If it is Chicken Pox then they are most definitely contagious. It only takes one pox to transmit the disease.

Please, Please, Please keep your kids home. While the disease is benign for most people it can be fatal to anyone with a compromised immune system.

My son is a Leukemia survivor and he had a compromised immune system for 3 years as a result of the Chemo. Chicken Pox is one of the most dreaded diseases for people like this. It can be tragic and fatal to them. We were strongly warned about how serious this was and how dangerous it was to our son.

You do not know if there will be anyone there tonight that might be like my son so PLEASE err on the side of caution and do not take that chance.

My dd10 was given the chicken pox vaccine when she was little (2 years old, maybe younger?) I wasn't asked if I wanted her to have the vaccine, and didn't know she had received it until they handed me the little informational pamphlets about all the shots she had received, and that was included. Oh well.

I had never heard about a booster until this post. She did receive her "final round of shots" when she was 4, so maybe this was included. I'll have to dig up her records.

If anyone is knowledgable about this, could you tell me when the booster is supposed to be given, and how many times? Is it possible that when she received hers in the early 2000s there was no booster?

I didn't feel a chickenpox shot was necessary when she was little, but I had a full-blown case when I was 12, and don't want her going through that. I guess I'll have to look into it, but in the meantime, I'd appreciate your wisdom :).

Just curious - especially since they have been vaccinated, why do you think it's the pox vs. some other mysterious bumpy ailment? Have they been exposed recently?

I'm not saying it's not pox, it's just not the first place my mind would go with vaxed kids and no obvious exposure. Not that you couldn't be completely right! So hard to diagnose over the internet... :tongue_smilie:

My kids have, unfortunately, gotten the chicken pox vaccine. I don't want to start a debate on that. They never got a booster.

On Tuesday my 12 yo got about 3 spots on her face. They are about the size of a pencil eraser. They don't itch but were oozing a clear fluid. The first of them to emerge are still oozing. She has gotten 2 more on her jawline. Aside from being tired, she feels fine. It is not debilitating fatigue, just what she considered normal.

This morning my 10 yo showed be a spot on her arm that looks like a large pimple. Again, no itch, but it does hurt when poked. She feels fine.

I know that chicken pox in children who have been vaccinated can present differently. I have heard there can only be a couple of bumps and that is it. I cannot find if that means no itch. Also, are they contagious?

I can't go to the dr. today because my car is in the shop. We are going tomorrow. But, they are in a play tonight. I don't want to go if they are contagious obviously.

Help!

My dd10 was given the chicken pox vaccine when she was little (2 years old, maybe younger?) I wasn't asked if I wanted her to have the vaccine, and didn't know she had received it until they handed me the little informational pamphlets about all the shots she had received, and that was included. Oh well.

I had never heard about a booster until this post. She did receive her "final round of shots" when she was 4, so maybe this was included. I'll have to dig up her records.

If anyone is knowledgable about this, could you tell me when the booster is supposed to be given, and how many times? Is it possible that when she received hers in the early 2000s there was no booster?

I didn't feel a chickenpox shot was necessary when she was little, but I had a full-blown case when I was 12, and don't want her going through that. I guess I'll have to look into it, but in the meantime, I'd appreciate your wisdom :).

It has only been recently that they have started recommending the booster. They found that kids that were vaccinated at young ages often times did not develope adequate titers so the kids would be at increased risk of developing the disease later in life when it is even more dangerous. This is why the booster was added. I think it is recommended around the age of 7 or 8. My dd got her Varicella booster at her last well check (age 8).

I had a grand case of chicken pox when I was about 10 or so. I have scars from it. I have also had an outbreak of shingles as I was starting nursing school. Dr told me that it was probably due to the stress-induced decrease in my immune system. Shingles are very painful.

http://kidshealth.org/parent/infections/bacterial_viral/chicken_pox.html

There is some info in that link and a google search will yield many to read.

I would have the children with spots take a very warm bath - that will bring out any other spots -- if they itch, an oatmeal bath is a good idea and calamine or caladryl. Gloves will keep them from scratching -- although kids who have had the vaccine tend to have a milder case.

PLEASE check the info regarding the amount of time that the child is contagious - which is also before the spots appear - so you do not want the kids out in the company of others -- please keep them home. Also, their immune system is somewhat compromised right now and they would be more suspectible to germs so it's best for all to keep them at home.

I've had way too much experience with the vaccine and my dd coming down with CP right after -- please read up, speak to your pediatrician, and while there is certainly no need to panic, please don't treat this as nothing.

Hope you are all healthy and out and about soon!

Please, Please, Please keep your kids home. While the disease is benign for most people it can be fatal to anyone with a compromised immune system.

My son is a Leukemia survivor and he had a compromised immune system for 3 years as a result of the Chemo. Chicken Pox is one of the most dreaded diseases for people like this. It can be tragic and fatal to them. We were strongly warned about how serious this was and how dangerous it was to our son.

You do not know if there will be anyone there tonight that might be like my son so PLEASE err on the side of caution and do not take that chance.

I got extremely sick when I had the chicken pox at age 4. I was actually surprised when I found out it usually wasn't usually something that made you very sick. My niece had a classmate who died from it. So, no worries, I tread very lightly with this!

I spoke with a friend who is a dr., our dr's nurse and our doctor. They all said it sounds like chicken pox.

Thanks for the info. We'll proceed as if they have it and get confirmation at the doctor tomorrow.

Unless the game has changed again, varicella vax is a series of three shots. I do not, however, remember what the spacing is, because I won't permit it for our children. (I'm "one of those" ! :) )

youngest ds got the first shot...but got chicken pox before the 2nd. I did the phone consult....kept him home...all that.

The nurse told me they would not be finishing out his course of vacs...since he caught. Also, if it is chicken pox...they should have a really mild case!!!! That's the upside :)

I got extremely sick when I had the chicken pox at age 4. I was actually surprised when I found out it usually wasn't usually something that made you very sick. My niece had a classmate who died from it. So, no worries, I tread very lightly with this!

I spoke with a friend who is a dr., our dr's nurse and our doctor. They all said it sounds like chicken pox.

Thanks for the info. We'll proceed as if they have it and get confirmation at the doctor tomorrow.

Ann, you are such a sweet and thoughtful lady. I wish everyone were like you!! :001_smile:

Back when my son was on chemo he was pretty much deprived of a normal life because of people that weren't so thoughtful. We had to keep him in a bubble because we just couldn't trust others to have his best interests in mind. I can't tell you how many times people showed up with sick kids knowing full well the risk it posed to him. They just didn't seem to care so we were forced to keep him out of public so that he would be safe.

Thank you so much for your kind heart and for caring about not only your precious kids but also the needs of others. The world needs more people like you. :grouphug:

I caught the chicken pox when a classmate came back to school while still crusty.

Do you mean still oozing? If they are crusted over, then the contagious period is over. The incubation period is 3 weeks and you can be contagious before the spots appear. It is more likely that you caught them from someone who was about to come down with it (could have been the same kid because it can take about a week for the spots to dry up.)

I'd definitely keep them home. I wouldn't take them to the doctor unless it was clearly needed.

If it is not the chicken pox, my older dd has a case of slowly spreading oozing lesions on her face and neck, which needs to be addressed and diagnosed. That is why I need confirmation as to what it is. Because it is not presenting itself in classic chicken pox form, we can't say definitively. I guess that is part of the problem when you get them after you have been vaccinated - it doesn't follow the classic pattern.

If it is not the chicken pox, my older dd has a case of slowly spreading oozing lesions on her face and neck, which needs to be addressed and diagnosed. That is why I need confirmation as to what it is. Because it is not presenting itself in classic chicken pox form, we can't say definitively. I guess that is part of the problem when you get them after you have been vaccinated - it doesn't follow the classic pattern.

Please keep us updated - I've been thinking of you. My 5 yr-old also has CP right now (he was not vaxed). When we first saw the dr he said it's not CP & not even contagious, see a dermatologist. The next day he had 20+ more & last night it was close to 70. They now look more like classic CP than they did that first dr visit. My dr has agreed over the phone that it's most likely CP - if it weren't it would be a great mystery to dx.

However, I just found out that we caught this from a friend whose kids just went throught this & their dr is adamant that it is not CP. :shrug:

I sent pictures to my dad (pediatrician) who believes 100% that we have CP, so who knows?

Anyway, not to highjack - but you aren't alone. I think that the CP vax has made diagnosing CP quite difficult.

We're kind of in that weird nether region with the vaccine. When my kids got it, they said no booster. When they started recommending the booster, we were done with all vaccines that were not required by the schools. The CP vaccine is, but we've never gone to school so we didn't need it. ARGHH!

We're kind of in that weird nether region with the vaccine. When my kids got it, they said no booster. When they started recommending the booster, we were done with all vaccines that were not required by the schools. The CP vaccine is, but we've never gone to school so we didn't need it. ARGHH!

I know, it's so confusing when recommendations & situations change. I think that we've also got a whole generation of doctors who have not seen so many cases of CP & are leary of dx it because it isn't always classic presentation & it changes so quickly.

You may already know this but I found Dr Sears' description of it's progression very helpful. http://www.askdrsears.com/html/8/t083400.asp

Could what she have actually be shingles? Is it painful? I had shingles when I was pregnant with my daughter and it sounds like what you are describing. I did not have them on my face but I know that is one of the places for classic presentation of shingles. Mine was on my back and all around my abdomen. It was EXTREMELY painful though so if she is not having any pain, it is most likely not that. Hope everyone is on the mend soon.

It is my understanding that shingles presents on half the body. The virus attaches to the spinal cord and doesn't cross it. My shingles went from the middle of my chest, around the side and ended in the middle of my back, but didn't cross the spinal cord. So if its shingles, it will be on one leg, but not the other, one arm but not the other etc....My shingles were red and inflamed, but did not ooze.

Lara

I wasn't going to post, but, apparently I am tossing caution to the wind.

My dd was 21 when she received the varicella vaccine - she had never had chicken pox, had been exposed many times, but never had them. She was made to get the vaccine prior to starting med school as her titer indicated that she should get the vaccine.

Two weeks after getting the vaccine, she presented with chicken pox - from the neck up - in her mouth, on her face, only from the neck up. She was diagnosed as it being cp. Was told it presented strangely due to the vaccine.

They went away - she seemed fine. Her wedding was about 6 weeks after the CP outbreak, and she was fine for that.

One week after the wedding, she wakes up with blisters that have presented as shingles - her doctor saw and diagnosed. She was put on the anti-viral, and she and her husband began their drive cross country from NJ to Arizona where she was going to start med school.

The blisters continued to break out all over her body the entire drive. She was in alot of pain (as is typical with shingles), and she was able to get relief from the itching with vitamin E oil - she would break the capsule and put the oil on the blister.

The outbreak continued for about 2 weeks - yes, TWO weeks, then it went away. She was fine for about 8 or 9 months, and the all H*LL broke loose. She developed shingles 6 or 7 times in the next 4 years - amid a host of other ailments - all put under the catch phrase of fibromyalgia. She was tested for MS, lupus, and many other things.

Finally, approx 2.5 years ago, we began to look into the possibility of her having chronic lyme disease, and she tested positive for that as well as mono, and more things than I have the time to list here.

At some point in all this, we pursued her rights with the Vaccination Fund that is set up for individuals who have been made ill from vaccinations - but she had missed the statute of limitations (unfortunately by about 3 weeks). We learned alot about the varicella vaccine from our pursuit in that regard.

Today we are waiting for blood tests that she had done on Monday of this week - we are anticipating that she will have to undergo chelation for heavy metal levels in her blood - which her doctor suspects is hindering her treatment.

We certainly cannot say for sure that any of this was triggered by the vaccine, but in my daughter's cae, we would certainly love to be able to go back in time and flatly refuse the vaccine.

It is my understanding that shingles presents on half the body. The virus attaches to the spinal cord and doesn't cross it. My shingles went from the middle of my chest, around the side and ended in the middle of my back, but didn't cross the spinal cord. So if its shingles, it will be on one leg, but not the other, one arm but not the other etc....My shingles were red and inflamed, but did not ooze.

Lara

When I had shingles, they were definitely oozing blisters. Mine started on the skin directly over my lower spine and extended around the left side of my body to my belly button.

I wasn't going to post, but, apparently I am tossing caution to the wind.

My dd was 21 when she received the varicella vaccine - she had never had chicken pox, had been exposed many times, but never had them. She was made to get the vaccine prior to starting med school as her titer indicated that she should get the vaccine.

Two weeks after getting the vaccine, she presented with chicken pox - from the neck up - in her mouth, on her face, only from the neck up. She was diagnosed as it being cp. Was told it presented strangely due to the vaccine.

They went away - she seemed fine. Her wedding was about 6 weeks after the CP outbreak, and she was fine for that.

One week after the wedding, she wakes up with blisters that have presented as shingles - her doctor saw and diagnosed. She was put on the anti-viral, and she and her husband began their drive cross country from NJ to Arizona where she was going to start med school.

The blisters continued to break out all over her body the entire drive. She was in alot of pain (as is typical with shingles), and she was able to get relief from the itching with vitamin E oil - she would break the capsule and put the oil on the blister.

The outbreak continued for about 2 weeks - yes, TWO weeks, then it went away. She was fine for about 8 or 9 months, and the all H*LL broke loose. She developed shingles 6 or 7 times in the next 4 years - amid a host of other ailments - all put under the catch phrase of fibromyalgia. She was tested for MS, lupus, and many other things.

Finally, approx 2.5 years ago, we began to look into the possibility of her having chronic lyme disease, and she tested positive for that as well as mono, and more things than I have the time to list here.

At some point in all this, we pursued her rights with the Vaccination Fund that is set up for individuals who have been made ill from vaccinations - but she had missed the statute of limitations (unfortunately by about 3 weeks). We learned alot about the varicella vaccine from our pursuit in that regard.

Today we are waiting for blood tests that she had done on Monday of this week - we are anticipating that she will have to undergo chelation for heavy metal levels in her blood - which her doctor suspects is hindering her treatment.

We certainly cannot say for sure that any of this was triggered by the vaccine, but in my daughter's cae, we would certainly love to be able to go back in time and flatly refuse the vaccine.

Thanks for sharing this Marianne, my ds1 has also been harmed by a vaccination. I always avoid the topics pertaining to vaxes, as it's such a sensitive issue for us and also such a hot topic with strong opinions on both sides. It does take courage to speak out and if it helps a least one other child (young or older), it's well worth it.:grouphug:

Thanks for sharing this Marianne, my ds1 has also been harmed by a vaccination. I always avoid the topics pertaining to vaxes, as it's such a sensitive issue for us and also such a hot topic with strong opinions on both sides. It does take courage to speak out and if it helps a least one other child (young or older), it's well worth it.:grouphug:

Tina: Thanks for sharing -- I'm sorry about your ds. I know what a powder keg this topic can become ;) but i wanted to point out that there are so many different scenarios that can present. And, I definitely agree that so many pediatricians today have never even seen chicken pox and that would make dx difficult or incorrect.

Again - thanks for sharing -- and again, I'm sorry. I know that it can wreak havoc when this stuff happens. My daughter's future was as bright as it could be and now she is on permanent disability.

I have no immunity to chicken pox. I got my first case when I was 3 (my DB brought them back from Kinder), then I got a case when I was in Kinder (they told my mom that I must not have really had them when I was 3), then I got it once or twice when I was a teen (once again - oh it is not possible for you to have chicken pox, blah, blah blah) then I got it when I was in my 20s and my dr was shocked. Finally, about 1 month before I got pg with my eldest I came down with another case, was diagnosed, treated, etc, and the physician I saw commented that he had never seen anyone get chicken pox more than once, and wondered if I would come back in after and see if I had chicken pox titers....I do not. I have never had shingles and probably won't because my body thinks I have never had "the pox".

Tina: Thanks for sharing -- I'm sorry about your ds. I know what a powder keg this topic can become ;) but i wanted to point out that there are so many different scenarios that can present. And, I definitely agree that so many pediatricians today have never even seen chicken pox and that would make dx difficult or incorrect.

Again - thanks for sharing -- and again, I'm sorry. I know that it can wreak havoc when this stuff happens. My daughter's future was as bright as it could be and now she is on permanent disability.

MariannNOVA - I'm so sorry for what happened to your DC. I wish more people understood that there are actually lots of complications stemming from vaxes, despite the good that they also do. Many :grouphug:

I have no immunity to chicken pox. I got my first case when I was 3 (my DB brought them back from Kinder), then I got a case when I was in Kinder (they told my mom that I must not have really had them when I was 3), then I got it once or twice when I was a teen (once again - oh it is not possible for you to have chicken pox, blah, blah blah) then I got it when I was in my 20s and my dr was shocked. Finally, about 1 month before I got pg with my eldest I came down with another case, was diagnosed, treated, etc, and the physician I saw commented that he had never seen anyone get chicken pox more than once, and wondered if I would come back in after and see if I had chicken pox titers....I do not. I have never had shingles and probably won't because my body thinks I have never had "the pox".

WOW -- WOW -- that is fascinating -- really. See, my daughter's titer showed no immunity, and she had been exposed numerous times as a kid but never presented. Her older sister had CP, and i had them share a room together at the time so we could get it out of the way, but she never got them from her. She had also been exposed numerous times in K and grade school. The vaccine seems to be the catalyst that triggered everything.

I was encouraged? (misery loves company?) I have had chickenpox personally three times! - I think it is worse as an adult- but maybe kids just forget better, Does that presuppose me to Shingles- I didn't think so; but maybe I am wrong- we just had our middle child get the booster- the oldest and the youngest had chickenpox at 5 months and three months respectively- are they recommending the vaccine for all children?

so could the vaccine have caused the Lyme disease? I thought that came from ticks?

No the vaccine did not cause the lyme disease -- we 'think' that she had been bitten by the tick some years prior and her body was able to fight off the infection from the tick as she was quite healthy.

We think that the vaccine comnpromised her immune system enough to open the door just a tiny bit and then all H*LL broke loose.

I have three children the same, and was told over and over that there is no way. My oldest daughter has had chicken pox 6 times, my middle son 7, and my baby son 3 already.

My son received a chicken pox vaccination and broke out the next day in about 20 spots. I called the doctor. He told me that "was impossible," that there should only be a "few."

Apparently not.

He then told me that my son was contagious, to keep him away from folks until the spots went away.

I would not take the children out. So sorry that they have to miss their play!!

I hope that after lots of rest and good diet, she will recover completely. It might take a few years.

Merry - no apology necessary --

Well, it's been 7 years and she has certainly gotten lots of rest - she and her dh have learned SO much it is amazing. Yes, their diet is as whole and green as it can be - the two of them have grown in their faith while on this walk. And, I thnk the Lord for her husband, who has lived with my daughter 'in sickness' for just about their entire married life.

We are praying that the chelation will be the last cog in the wheel that has to be lined up in order for her to heal completely. I know that she must 'feel' better because she does talk about returning to med school.

I think that we have certainly learned that there are not necessarily any hard and fast 'rules' -- there can be permutations everywhere.

If it is Chicken Pox then they are most definitely contagious. It only takes one pox to transmit the disease.

This is our story too, and when our son was thought to have cp the docs were very worried until it was decided that he did not have them.

Two of my kids got the CP after the vaccine years ago, and one child only had a few pox with no other symptoms. The other child got a full blown case but no itching.

I was encouraged? (misery loves company?) I have had chickenpox personally three times! - I think it is worse as an adult- but maybe kids just forget better, Does that presuppose me to Shingles- I didn't think so; but maybe I am wrong- we just had our middle child get the booster- the oldest and the youngest had chickenpox at 5 months and three months respectively- are they recommending the vaccine for all children?

I have only ever met one person IRL who has had it more than once (and no one who has had it multiple times like me), so yes, I do live the company :lol: