Menu

Any WTM purists?

Marie463

I'm still trying to get my head around all of the different curriculum out there. From reading all of the great posts here, it seems that there are just so many different curricular approaches...so I just have to wonder....is there any one out there who uses only what SWB recommends in the WTM? And if you don't use her recommendations but still follow her philosophy, why did you explore other curricular options?

Thanks for helping a newbie!

Except for our discipleship material, I think we're using only WTM-recommended materials. Partially it's because I, like you, am a newbie. Partially, it's because (thus far) they've worked well.

When I'm trying to research other materials I look at Rainbow Resource Center's catalogue (A wonderful resource in and of itself!), look at these boards, or else something like Cathy Duffy's 100 Top Picks.

I'm not planning to always stay tied to WTM picks. If they don't work or I can't stand them, I'll change. But it sure helps out a newbie to have several options with detailed recommendations in front of her from which to choose. And since I seem to agree pretty thoroughly with the underlying philosophy of WTM, I feel safe spending our miniscule funds on the things SWB recommends.

HTH!

Mama Anna

Edited by Mama Anna
I got the infant off my lap and found I was able to focus. :D

We are pretty darn close to being purists--for 4th grade, we use

SOTW

Rod and Staff Grammar

Saxon Math

Prima Latina

We vary with our science, because I'm a science slacker. I have used mostly WTM rec's all along. We did use Omnibus at the hs level and Sonlight (tweaked both) because I couldn't quite get there with ds. So most of our choices have definitely been guided by SWB's rec's, but some have been changed based on my children and their needs, and on my ability as a teacher.

I would say we are purists when it comes to her science, latin (starting next year, YAY!,) history, and reading suggestions. We do the narrations and memorywork across the curriculum. I am planning on adding more dictation soon.

Why are we in some curricula that it did not recommend? We started hsing before I read WTM. I did preK and K my own way while I was researching what methods and curric to use long term. Somewhere as we neared 1st grade, I finally read WTM along with all of the other hs books I was reading, and discovered that the way she taught elem. grades was closest to what I naturally did with mine. It gave me the tools to plan the big picture and to see where I wanted us to go. I stuck w/the math we were already using (Rod and Staff) and I used their 1st grade phonics and reading and moved into their 2nd grade English. I didn't switch over to FLL and WWE because WTM suggested going to R&S in 3rd anyway (this was pre FLL3.) I figured we already liked using their stuff, so we would just use it for the early grades too. In 2nd grade I gave up the reading program, and we now do WTM style reading and written narrations in the reading notebook.

As I go forward and need new curric for the next year I do use recs from WTM when it is not something I am just moving up a level in. What we do works, and it is in the spirit of WTM.

I'm not a purist as far as recc'd curricula goes, because I feel that there is so much these days that you can easily find substitutes that work for you while still keeping in the spirit of the reccomended products. For example, I agree that grammar concepts should be taught explicitly and practiced often, but I think more than Rod & Staff fits this bill. And I think that students should be taught to analyze sentences, but I don't think diagramming is the only way to do that. The first of these grammar examples really has no 'disagreement' with the WTM reccs (same aim, same methods, different format), the second one goes further (same aim, different method, different format). If you didn't teach grammar explicitly until high school, that would be going pretty far from the WTM mindset.

After you get a bit of experience, and look at dozens of choices, it becomes easier to figure out if a different curriculum will achieve the same end. Ask yourself, why is she making this recommendation? Is it because of rigor? Clarity? A certain method she considers superior?

As far as why explore other options, sometimes it's for 'big' reasons, and sometimes small ones. I'm not comfortable with the religious content in Rod and Staff, and that's a big reason I initially looked at other options. For 'big' reasons, I would likely use another program even if it were slightly inferior. I also know that my kids would prefer a different look, style and format - - that's a smaller reason, but one I would accomodate if I could.

I'm pretty close to her suggestions. I use more for science than she recommends because I don't think she recommends enough. We also probably cover more books for lit/history per year than most folks. We might do less writing, I don't know...... I try to mix up the writing to keep it fresh.

I'm still using some recs from the original book that might not now be included in the newest edition.....

I'm still trying to get my head around all of the different curriculum out there. From reading all of the great posts here, it seems that there are just so many different curricular approaches...so I just have to wonder....is there any one out there who uses only what SWB recommends in the WTM? And if you don't use her recommendations but still follow her philosophy, why did you explore other curricular options?

I think one should always start following Jessie and Susan's recs and then if something isn't working, you explore. My daughter went through phonics so quickly so early that I needed something to spell it out to her instead of a traditional spelling program. Even better, I won't have to juggle a separate writing and grammar anymore. After doing a program based on TWTM recs for history (Ancient Explorations), I found that we wanted something simple for a while. After doing a program based on TWTM recs for science (Elemental Science), we were ready to take on a fun topic for the summer. We started with WTM recs for math and then started researching when DD was still having trouble. So there you have it!

Edited by Lovedtodeath

I have followed her ideas since 1999, but my children didn't fit all of her curriculum suggestions at all times. I start a bit earlier in latin than she suggests. I use tons of Sonlight because I love the literature, I put most of them where I can and call the rest free reading.

I consider myself a purist though.... with extras. :D

I guess I would be a semi-purist LOL. I use WTM for all of my language arts. I use Sonlight TWTM way (read my adventure At http://homeschoolblogger.com/bahamahomeschooler)

one of the main reasons I use Sonlight is the books. They send you everything in one big box and for an islander like me that is a good thing. We are very limited on supplies, books and information. I actually looked into TOG but after seeing all the books I would have to buy I knew that Sonlight is still the best option for "us". I am trying science TWTM way this year with my littles but my bigs will continue with Sonlight and apoligia, might WTM tweek it though ;-) SWB audios really helped me grasp the foundation of TWTM and use it in what we have already.

Have fun digging into TWTM!

We started off by the book and haven't really strayed too far. We do more language work, but otherwise we're pretty spot on.

I agree with Carmen, you start with the recs and then once you get comfortable you start to branch out as you find things that fit better.

All the same, I doubt I'll stray too far. I dare say Jesse Wise's children have shown that her method works ;) The proof is in the pudding and all that :D

I am very much a newbie to homeschooling, and the book was recommended to me. I loved the approach, and that a lot of research for subject matter and extra books was done for me. I looked at the curriculum packages, and didn't feel right about it, too one size fits all. And maybe in a year or so a package like Sonlight might be what I want. But I like the flexibility in it. It involves the kids in choosing some materials, in seeking it out in choosing experiments.

I have deviated some from her suggestions, but she does say point blank that there are other quality books out there too, I use AAS with dd6, but it's going well, I had that before deciding on the WTM way.

I'm always in the book, dh laughs at me. During dance competition, the book was with me before it started I read. At swim Gym, the book is with me and I take notes...lol. And while he laughs, he is seeing how much the youngest is learning, he sees the elder daughter relaxing and enjoying the reading time, the coloring, the worksheets. He sees them becoming young girls again, less mini teens/adults.

I guess I am pretty close to what WTM has to say. I really like what the books have to say and I like how they are layed out and scripted. This is our first year (first 5 weeks actually under our belt) so I need that structure. I think as I get more confident I might be able to branch out but I might not have to if this works well for us. We are using Saxon math, FLL, OPGTR, Spelling workout (on hold to finish OPGRT), SOTW1, science on our own using the WTM layout for 1st grade animals, plants, human body.

I supplement with the corresponding lessons in Starfall, Starfall grammar, Scott foresman grammar all free off the internet. DD likes worksheets.

I just ordered ACSI bible for 1st grade so we will see how that works for us.

And if you don't use her recommendations but still follow her philosophy, why did you explore other curricular options?

I can only comment on my *plan* (Ha ha, yes, we'll see what happens when the plan meets reality.) I'm on board with SWB's philosophies as a whole, but not always with her curriculum recommendations. I started off by investigating those to see whether I agreed with them, and when I didn't (maths and science,) I kept looking until I found something that matched my ideas better. I wanted something with more context for those subjects.

Rosie

We use SOTW, FLL & WWE and love them. MUS for math (although we may be changing as its not very challenging for my math-minded ds--suggestions welcome!). We use R&S Science and Spelling.

This has been a GREAT system for us thus far! :) I'm learning right along with my ds, and I feel like all of SWB's books are very thorough and easy to teach/learn.

is there any one out there who uses only what SWB recommends in the WTM? And if you don't use her recommendations but still follow her philosophy, why did you explore other curricular options?

I use WTM as my homeschooling guide. I use most of the rec'd. resources, and most of the learning methods.

Differences: I use WRTR to teach reading and spelling because my teacher-mother taught it to me before I found WTM. It worked, so I stuck with it. I use R&S math, because I kept hearing how thorough it was, and because I liked how the math facts were taught. I'm guessing the only reason it's not in WTM is because it only goes through 8th grade, and there are tons of math programs - WTM provides a sample. I recently started using MapTrek maps, because they expand on the KQ maps rec'd. in WTM grammar stage history - they go through all the stages now! I'll bet they'll be rec'd. in the next WTM, though I can't be sure. :D At least, I hope they trump the useless Geography Coloring Book rec'd. for logic stage. :D

I'd have to say that the things I have learned from using WTM as a guide have become/are becoming part of the fabric of our family life and learning. It's not just a curriculum for me anymore. It's a way of learning forever.

I'm almost purist - I only added a Bible curriculum, an additional spelling because my dd begged for AAS, then I didn't like the suggested order for science in the WTM, so we started with Astronomy.

Here is what we are using for K and 1st grade that WTM recommends:

Ordinary Parent's Guide to Reading

Spelling Workout

Writing with Ease 1

First Language Lessons

Story of the World 1

Saxon Math

Artistic Pursuits

Here are my additions:

Bible - Memoria Press Christian Studies

Spelling - All About Spelling Level 1 & 2 (we also use the letter tiles with OPGTR)

Science - Apologia elementary sciences (currently using Astronomy)

We use SOTW, FLL & WWE and love them. MUS for math (although we may be changing as its not very challenging for my math-minded ds--suggestions welcome!). We use R&S Science and Spelling.

This has been a GREAT system for us thus far! :) I'm learning right along with my ds, and I feel like all of SWB's books are very thorough and easy to teach/learn.

Ds loves Singapore.

I think this board makes it really hard to stick with TWTM. Sometimes I wish there was a subsection of the boards just for those using "pure" TWTM. In my case, I looked elsewhere in first grade when The Story of the World wasn't a good fit for us. There was just too much of a focus on myths and legends and my husband and I didn't want that for our first grader. We liked the idea of starting with the Ancients so we found a curriculum that was written especially for first graders and helped us start with Creation and focused more on the Bible for Ancient history. After that, it was just too easy to keep tweaking TWTM. We did end up going back to SOTW but not in first grade.

In retrospect, I wish we had stuck closer to TWTM but I have followed it pretty closely, especially for LA. We just needed to do it a little different to include more of our faith perspective.

I think this board makes it really hard to stick with TWTM. Sometimes I wish there was a subsection of the boards just for those using "pure" TWTM.

Not really possible when people can't decide on what is pure and what isn't. SWB doesn't follow her own schedules, and it doesn't make sense to dub the author as not pure!

Rosie

Guest kate3

I use exclusively WTM right now and am very happy with it. My daughter is in 2nd grade.

SOTW2

Spelling Wkout C

WWE 2

FLL 3

HWT for handwriting

Singapore Math SE

Astronomy through rec. texts

many library trips

Memory lists in Kingfisher History

Reading lists from WTM

Piano lessons/art lessons

We will start Latin in the fall and I think I will go with Big Book LL because testimonials say it is not as dry.

I will get the music app. texts WTM recommends (Beethoven in the attic and more) and maybe Artistic Pursuits as well so we are in the car less.

We will do RS grammar after she completes FLL 4

I have a younger son who will be in kindergarten in the fall and I think he will enjoy participating in history and science.

He will continue OPG and begin SMath

He enjoys Explode the Code books and HandwritingWT

The 2 hour break (rec. in WTM) in the afternoon sounds really nice, I am going to try to figure that one out. We'll see...

The Great Books curriculum for high school sounds very interesting to me, so I want to do everything I can to prepare the kids for that level of thinking.

I feel new at this still, but I am so excited about this experience! Best of luck to you!

I'd say we're pretty pure.

A Beka Phonics

A Beka Math

FLL/WWE1

SOTW1

We kind of flubbed up on science, but we're back on track with Kingfisher Animal Encyclopedia studying fish in preparation for our upcoming vacation to the ocean.

We haven't done Music or Art this year, but hopefully will be able to incorporate those next year.

Another vote for philosophy purist and curriculum semi-purist. :-)

I use TOG for history in 2nd two rotations (SOTW in the first). Much of what we do in TOG, however, focuses on the philosophies discussed in WTM. I also use a science text book because it just doesn't happen when I try to use her method. Other than that we pretty much stick to the recommendations. This is my 8th year of homeschooling and Susan hasn't lead me astray yet. :001_smile:

I'm about 90% WTM. I follow SWB's recommendations and use her curricula for history, writing and grammar. The only thing I have that I haven't seen her mention is Apologia, and that's probably because of the young earth thing. She tries to stay pretty neutral for her market, i think.

i will be starting latin this coming year, and plan to pursue greek with them later on.

Pretty close to being a purist here, at least for our first year. We may branch out as I get more comfortable. Not all of my choices are WTM's TOP choice but they are all on the "good choices" list... We used 100 Easy Lessons before I even discovered WTM and had fabulous success with it.

We'll be using for first grade:

Story of the World, A Beka math and handwriting, Writing With Ease, First Language Lessons, and the recommended references books for science but I will be supplementing those with Creation-based reading books from Answers in Genesis.

I'm about 90% WTM. I follow SWB's recommendations and use her curricula for history, writing and grammar. The only thing I have that I haven't seen her mention is Apologia, and that's probably because of the young earth thing. She tries to stay pretty neutral for her market, i think.

i will be starting latin this coming year, and plan to pursue greek with them later on.

Doesn't she mention Apologia in her newest edition, as an alternative?

For me, I wanted a little less structure in the early grades and also an easier way to combine my oldest two. The 4 year cycle doesn't really allow for that. But I LOVE FLL & WWE. We use Rightstart Math which I can't remember if she mentions. I'm kind of a CM/WTM mix, and they are very alike but differ here and there (like early focus on lots of grammar and spelling.)