Menu

Who do you root for in the Trojan War - Greece or Troy?

We always root for Helen to come to her senses, clonk that big baby Paris on the head with a heavy piece of her stupid loom, and go home with her husband so that the Greeks can go back to their farms and the Trojans don't have to die for her.

Alas....I guess that doesn't make nearly as good a story.

We're big Hector fans too. I get teary when he is dragged around the city, and when his father goes to recover his body.

Cat

I like Hector and Odysseus, even sometimes Achilles. Or at least I can relate to Achilles.

I think that Paris and Agamemmnon should have fought it out in year one and saved everyone else the trouble.

I don't even feel pity for Helen. She seemed like a good match for Paris. Didn't she abandon her little girls to run off with him?

My oldest son and I always root for Troy even though we know they lose. Hector is just such an admirable man!

I was just curious if anyone else was on the losing side!

:lol:

I have an "I heart Hector" button that I proudly pin on my messenger bag or sometimes on my hat.

:001_wub:

Ah, yes, but did Helen really have a choice in the matter? She was promised to Paris by Aphrodite as his prize for awarding her with the Golden Apple. He was the fool who chose beauty over wisdom (or power).

After she reached Troy could she have returned to Menelaus? Could the war have been averted or would they have fought anyway because of the affront to Menelaus? Would Aphrodite's promise to Paris have been fulfilled if she didn't stay?

I love Homer. :D

After she reached Troy could she have returned to Menelaus?

I think Menelaus, justifiably by the standards of the time, would probably have killed Helen had she tried to return. But still, she was a coward to allow so much death and destruction to save her own skin, even with the whole "playthings of the gods" bit going on. The other women of Troy ought to have just bundled her into a burlap sack and taken her to the Greeks themselves, to save their husbands' lives and themselves and their children from lives of slavery.

And Paris is a cowardly twit.

Cat

We always root for Helen to come to her senses, clonk that big baby Paris on the head with a heavy piece of her stupid loom, and go home with her husband so that the Greeks can go back to their farms and the Trojans don't have to die for her.

Alas....I guess that doesn't make nearly as good a story.

We're big Hector fans too. I get teary when he is dragged around the city, and when his father goes to recover his body.

Cat

:iagree:

I think Menelaus, justifiably by the standards of the time, would probably have killed Helen had she tried to return. But still, she was a coward to allow so much death and destruction to save her own skin, even with the whole "playthings of the gods" bit going on. The other women of Troy ought to have just bundled her into a burlap sack and taken her to the Greeks themselves, to save their husbands' lives and themselves and their children from lives of slavery.

And Paris is a cowardly twit.

Cat

There ya go.

These women needed to grow some ovaries.

a

Edited by asta

Oh - I am laughing so hard! Ovaries!!!

I am pro-Troy and Hector and Andromache break my heart. But I do love Odysseus - it's not like he wanted to be there!

I am glad that Agamemnon gets what he deserves and I have no patience for Achilles in his tent, pouting. I feel badly for Menelaus and want to slap Helen. Paris is not even worth a thought. And I think Ajax is pretty fab ;)

My kids are obsessed with Achilles and constantly make references about him- at times and places that have nothing to do with him. LOL. We're weirdos.

well, if you've ever watched the cartoon The Tick, you all would have been hysterical at the line "sulking in his tent like a guy from Chile" as we all were!

My oldest son and I always root for Troy even though we know they lose. Hector is just such an admirable man!

I was just curious if anyone else was on the losing side!

:lol:

I opened the thread planning to just vote for Hector! :o) I love him! And I love the artist's rendition of him and his lovely wife and adorable baby in Rosemary Sutcliff's version. I don't care who wins or loses -- there are just so many whiners and beligerants on both sides. But, I love Hector, and his father is admirable. I cheer for them! :o)

Ladies, this time next week I will be *in* Troy! My 13-year-old and I are going with the Lukeion Project to Turkey. We'll start out in Istanbul, tour along the western coast of Turkey, and wind up in Antalya after 11 days. Mr. and Mrs. Barr, the Lukeion teachers, used to be archeologists in Troy, and we'll get a behind-the-scenes tour with some current archeologists!

If I find out any cool new info, I will report back to you all ASAP. Go Hector!

Ladies, this time next week I will be *in* Troy! My 13-year-old and I are going with the Lukeion Project to Turkey. We'll start out in Istanbul, tour along the western coast of Turkey, and wind up in Antalya after 11 days. Mr. and Mrs. Barr, the Lukeion teachers, used to be archeologists in Troy, and we'll get a behind-the-scenes tour with some current archeologists!

If I find out any cool new info, I will report back to you all ASAP. Go Hector!

WOW! Enjoy!

Troy here.

I read The Firebrand around 5th grade. It was one of my favorite books ever (up to that point.) I loved the character of Kassandra. I was so disappointed to later read the Iliad and Odyssey and realize they were from the Greek viewpoint. :001_huh:

Troy here.

I read The Firebrand around 5th grade. It was one of my favorite books ever (up to that point.) I loved the character of Kassandra. I was so disappointed to later read the Iliad and Odyssey and realize they were from the Greek viewpoint. :001_huh:

I loved that book! It's the only one of hers I like, and all stories are improved with a bit of romance. (Providing the romance isn't in the form of Brad Pitt.)

Rosie