Menu

I have a question, I am kinda grossed out!

OK. I put a pot roast in the crock pot this morning. Eight hours later, I get home and realize that the liner on the bottom of the meat package was cooked in the roast. Should we eat this? What exactly is that liner??

Are you talking about the plastic thingy that absorbs the liquids from the raw meat?

It is a combo of plastic and paper, kinda like a meat diaper.

Don't eat the liner. I am uncertain about the meat if the plastic melted onto it.

Don't worry about it..I have done similiar and we all lived thru it.

Here is a link I found..it is referring to ovens, but I think the thought remains that you will be fine. I found it on a Food Safety and Inspection Site..USDA in other words.

What to do About Packaging Accidentally Cooked in a Conventional Oven?

Plastic packaging materials should not be used at all in conventional ovens. They may catch on fire or melt, causing chemical migration into foods. Sometimes these materials are inadvertently cooked with a product. For example, giblets may be accidentally cooked inside the turkey in their packaging or a beef roast may be cooked with the absorbent pad from the fresh meat packaging underneath.

The giblet bag and the absorbent pad are clearly not intended to be cooked, however if this happens and the packaging materials remain unaltered (that is, do not melt or come apart) the cooked meat will not pose an imminent health hazard. If the packaging materials have melted or changed shape in some other way do not use the product.

Edited by KatieinMich

unaltered[/u] (that is, do not melt or come apart) the cooked meat will not pose an imminent health hazard. If the packaging materials have melted or changed shape in some other way do not use the product.[/size][/font]

I love the use of imminent health hazard! You may not grasp your throat, clutch the counter and breath your last breath of air just before the white light appears.....But we don't really know so we will just say..... 'you won't die, but we aren't promising anything beyond that!' LOL :lol::lol:

I have done this myself and eaten it and it was fine although I was wondering where that third nipple came from....hum. :001_tt2:

Thank you so much for this information!!! I was horrified at the thought of eating it and my huband was horrified that I actually thought about throwing it out. lol. The liner was still in one piece. I guess I will let you all know if we start growing horns or something.

Here is a link I found..it is referring to ovens, but I think the thought remains that you will be fine. I found it on a Food Safety and Inspection Site..USDA in other words.

Plastic packaging materials should not be used at all in conventional ovens. They may catch on fire or melt, causing chemical migration into foods. Sometimes these materials are inadvertently cooked with a product. For example, giblets may be accidentally cooked inside the turkey in their packaging or a beef roast may be cooked with the absorbent pad from the fresh meat packaging underneath.

The giblet bag and the absorbent pad are clearly not intended to be cooked, however if this happens and the packaging materials remain unaltered (that is, do not melt or come apart) the cooked meat will not pose an imminent health hazard. If the packaging materials have melted or changed shape in some other way do not use the product.

Well, there ya go!

Katie with the save!

(absorbent pad = meat diaper :lol:)

I have done this myself and eaten it and it was fine although I was wondering where that third nipple came from....hum. :001_tt2:

:lol:

Meat

Diaper

Am I the only one who wishes that she/he could change their username right about now?!

True dat. Could also be a cool name for a band.

I SOOOOO totally needed that laugh - the whole thread!

Meat diaper

Third Ni****

Grasp your throat and . . .

Hahahaha~

And for heaven's sake, don't eat that meat!!! I don't care what that website says - there is silica in that meat diaper and I simply would not eat that meat. Sounds like the pizza man would have to come knocking at my door. And that's saying something, because we don't order pizza! In other words, please don't eat that meat.

I've done it twice, both this year.

Once the meat diaper fell apart completely; there were floating bits of paper pulp throughout my pot. Ewww! We didn't eat it.

The second time was on a Monday. I sometimes have to rush out of the house with food in hand, leaving my family to eat without me. I ate the meat I had taken with me, and my family ate it at home. It was when I came home later that night that my husband told me about cooking the packaging again. We lived, and had no ill affects that we are aware of.

Honestly, I don't know what that absorbent pad is made out of, but my uneducated, gut reaction is that I wouldn't eat the roast.

Don't eat it! Throw together a salad and / or sandwiches. I know the "bummer" feeling but it's not worth waiting to see if anyone gets sick.

I haven't done that yet, but...

My husband once cooked a pizza with the cardboard on. I was going to make fun of him, but decided not to just in case.

Sure enough, a year or so later, I did the same!

It was not very good, and a pain to scrape off, but edible. (This was back when I could eat frozen pizza. Actually, I can now have pizza occasionally, homemade with sheep cheese and my own sauce.)

I told hubby about this thread. He has worked in meat plants for 30 years. I was describing the packaging material and he said " soaker pad." Ok, now I knew he knew what I was talking about, so I went to tell him the "meat diaper" thoughts.

He just looked at me and said, that is the common name for it.

So then, now you know! I wanted to think we women are all more orignal than that.