Menu

Any suggestions for relatively wholesome video/computer games for 7-yr-old ds?

We give our children 45-60 minutes of screen time every day (not looking for opinions on this, thanks), with their choice of what to do/watch during this time.

My ds, 7, has recently run out of things that he likes to do for his screen time. We do not have a cable connection, so TV/cable shows are not an option. Bored with many of the kids' DVDs that we have (or rent), he has tried doing some online Lego games, but has quickly exhausted those as well. We do have a Wii (Sports, Mario Cart) which he does play but even that gets a little tiresome when it is the only option he has every day.

I'd like to get him a game (or games) for the computer or perhaps more Wii games but don't know what to pick at this stage. I don't want anything excessively violent, but would like it to be interesting and fun...does not need to be educational (although that is always nice).

DVDs of shows are also an option.

Does anyone have any ideas/recommendations? I'm just too out of the popular norm to know what might be appropriate.

Thank you!

My 7-yo has enjoyed the Lego games on the Wii (although he generally plays on the XBox). Lego Star Wars, Lego Indiana Jones, Lego Batman.

He liked Endless Ocean (and recognizes a lot of fish as a result), so I'll probably get him Endless Ocean 2 soon.

Wii Fit Plus is good and so is Wii Sports Resort. These are more family games here.

I don't like violent games either. Here are some of the Wii games I have: Marble Saga Kororinpa (playing with marbles on various tracks), Big Brain Academy (various types of puzzles), Playground (virtual schoolyard with typical games), and Munchables (sort of like Pac Man -- eat up the invading pirates who look like vegetables). I also bought him Geon Cube but we haven't figured it out yet.

CBC and PBS both have games on the internet. They are not violent; they have different pages for different age groups.

May I lament the passing of my favorite computer game for kids 6-11: Spy Fox? I don't think it's sold any more and I loved this for my eldest when he was small. Youngers play Spore, Lego Star Wars, Lego Indiana Jones, and Rainbow Rock-Singapore math CD rom.

My 6 year old ds loves Super Mario Galaxy for the Wii. He also loves all of the Lego games for the Wii (Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Batman). Rayman Raving Rabbids is another favorite with him.

Edit: I forgot to mention free online games. DS 6 likes the Cyberchase section of the PBSkids site and Disney's Toontown. We don't pay for the subscriber-version. There is a bit of free content as well.

Edited by Shelly in the Country

Free online game: poptropica.com

All the kids (and I mean ALL) the kids that my 7yo knows LOVE this game. LOVE LOVE LOVE.

They call each other on the phone if they get stuck to help each other out. It's hilarious to hear my 7 yo on the phone telling his friends, "Look in the viking cave for the Roman gold."

I can't recommend it highly enough. (Did I mention it's FREE??)

In fact, my husband caught his 20-something year old coworker playing it the other day. (But you don't have to be 20 to play--it's geared toward 6+).

He's been playing it for a few months now and still loves it just as much as when he first started. Go check it out now.

Software: Oregon Trail - (says it is for older kids, but my son played it when he was 7 (although he was a very good reader)

I can't think of the exact names of them right now, but several games like Crazy Machines or Gizmos and Gadgets or Wacky Contraptions. Those may not be the names, but I think you can google those (I think Crazy Machines is right) and find the right name. You put all these machine pieces together to build a contraption and then watch it work. Pulleys and the like. The kids have no idea it is educational!

Star Wars Math (this is old, but you can probably find it somewhere)

Sid Meirs' Pirates of the Life (but there is some cleavage and rum drinking and of course SWORD FIGHTS - I don't think it shows blood or anything at all like that) The ships sail all over the place and the kids get a sense of geography of the time as well as various groups of people (nationalities)

Did you mention Lego Chess? Another good chess one is Fritz and Chesster. This one is great fun and there are all kinds of games kids will like - I remember smashing toilet was one! Not sure how this is related to chess! Each of the games teaches how various pieces moves, or there is one where there are two sumo wrestlers in a ring and you're trying to push one out.

The Magic Flute

I have a couple I haven't given the boys yet that look good, ages 8+:

Wishbone's Odyssey (based Wishbone the dog form the PBS show) - I bought it for when we do Ancient History next year.

Liberty's Kids - from the PBS show set in the time of the Revolutionary war

DVDs of shows are also an option.

My son's hero is David Attenborough. He likes The Life of Birds best, but Life in the Freeze, Life in the Undergrowth, The Private Life of Plants, Life in Cold Blood, and The Trials of Life are a close second. This are slow paced, enlightening programs, not flashy or "incredible" photography (my son does not like Blue Planet or Planet Earth), but well filmed and well spoken. Sir D appears in many scenes and in many places.

And you, as an adult, will not be driven batty by it at all.

Well, this, I think, would require obtaining an old Nintendo box. A very tame, yet endlessly engaging video game: Bubble Bobble.

Cute little dinosaur/dragon characters blow bubbles onto monsters. They then have to jump onto and pop the bubbles to destroy the trapped monsters. If this doesn't happen quickly enough a white whale comes to get the dinosaur/dragon good guys. The background music is fun, too.

Love it still.

I've already ordered Cluefinders & Zombinis & I love the links to the several free online programs that various members have posted...we will check them all out over the next week.

My son also loves science, so I will check the library for Magic School Bus DVDs (I wonder if they have the computer CD games to try?), and the different DVDs to try too.

Today my son was actually in tears after his screen time...he'd not had a satisfying time with his online lego games and was very unhappy that he had "wasted" his allotted time. I can't wait to show him some of these other programs - I think he will really enjoy them. Just having something new to check out will be a boost for him!

Very cool! Thanks to each and every one of you! Your suggestions will all be earmarked and explored!

Janet