Menu

Book a Week in 2010 - Book Week 14

Today is the start of book week 14 and should have you starting book # 14. Mr linky is now up and ready for you to link your reviews.

This week on the blog N is for Nobility and the noblest act of them all. Happy Easter, everyone

What are you reading this week? What books been hits and misses?

I finished Her Fearful Symmetry by Audrey Niffenegger. All I can say is WOW! It was full of quirks, twists and turns. I finished it three days ago and I am still thinking about it.

I finished Walden (finally!) and am just about finished Book #17--How Children Love to Learn by Elaine Cooper. An excellent book on Charlotte Mason method.

Book #18 will be Hannah Coulter by Wendell Berry.

I'm halfway through Warriors of God, a double biography of Richard I and Saladin. At the moment, Richard is being particularly greedy, which is destroying the cohesion of the Crusader forces and will land him in prison on his way home. I'm hoping to have that finished for next week's post.

So I read a short, light book on the side this week, and it's The Bad Book Affair[/i] by Ian Sansom. It's a Mobile Library mystery!

I finished Her Fearful Symmetry by Audrey Niffenegger. All I can say is WOW! It was full of quirks, twists and turns. I finished it three days ago and I am still thinking about it.

Wow, indeed! I loved it, and thought about the characters and their circumstances for days.

Still reading The Boys and Girls Aeneid (or Aneid for Boys and Girls--can't remember which way it goes!) and also True Fires for my April book club book. It's about a family in 1950s Florida who gets accused of being part black and thus the kids can't go to the segregated school. Just starting it. If I finish both of these, I guess I'll still be on track for a book a week, but feel like I'm falling behind with no time to read.

I've been on a decluttering kick & read Stop Clutter from Stealing Your Life this past week. It was so-so (at best).

I've also (barely) started Life of Pi (for my book club).

--------------------------------

The last five books I've read in 2010:

9. The City of Dreaming Books by Walter Moers

10. Half Broke Horses by Jeannette Walls

11. Clutter Busting by Brooks Palmer

12. The Power of Less by Leo Babauta

13. Stop Clutter from Stealing Your Life by Mike Nelson

:party::party::party::party::party::party::party:

Oh yes, and I read Outliers. I'm very glad I did too.

Rosie

I read Outliers too- GREAT read. I reveiwed it on my blog. I 'm going to try to finish Jezebel this week. How was Burn? I've read a lot of Dekker and generally like him, but some of his stuff is just a little too creepy.

Wow, what was "I Want to Be Left Behind" About?

So Rosie have you finished St. Augustine? ;) Tell me when you're going to start Kempe and I'll read it at the same time.

I'm taking a break from Victorians and I started "Raising Your Spirited Child" last night. It's highly recommended on these boards, and my ds has been causing me lots of anxiety lately. I hope it will be a good book for me.

I completed Jane Austen's Northanger Abbey, and am now reading The Elegance of the Hedgehog by Muriel Barbery.

Interestingly, I read Barbery's Gourmet Rhapsody a couple of weeks ago---while it was written first, it was published here (US) after Hedgehog.

The characters Renee and Pierre Arthens from Hedgehog were introduced in Gourmet Rhapsody. The storyline in Rhapsody actually takes place during Hedgehog and focuses on food critic Arthen's last days of his life.

It's amazing how much Barbery's writing has matured from Rhapsody to Hedgehog---much more polished and focused. I'm really enjoying this book.

Edited by Imprimis

This week I read The Mango Season, Ethan Frome, and In an Antique Land and now I'm reading Beloved. I always enjoy Edith Wharton and In an Antique Land was excellent, but I didn't much like Mango Season.

Ah, Ethan Frome. My first exposure to this story/book was seeing the 1993 movie with Liam Neeson. :svengo:

Do you have an audiobook version you would recommend? Etan Frome is the only Edith Wharton I've read. Which one should I try next?

Ah, Ethan Frome. My first exposure to this story/book was seeing the 1993 movie with Liam Neeson. :svengo:

Do you have an audiobook version you would recommend? Ethan Frome is the only Edith Wharton I've read. Which one should I try next?

I really enjoyed House of Mirth, but I cannot remember if I listened to Barbara Caruso or Anna Fields read it. Both look like good versions.

Nobilty, huh? I guess I picked the right books, then. ;-p I finally finished Quo Vadis, which I LOVED. Incredible book about Rome, Nero, Peter, Paul, and the persecution of the early church. The love story that carried the plot was a beautiful example of Christ's love and the transformation of a person's soul. It was written in Polish in the 1890s, and I particularly liked the modern translation I linked above.

Today, I finished Parsifal's Page, the 4th book in the Squire's Tales series by Gerald Morris. I have loved, loved, loved these retellings of the Arthurian legends. This one was also a beautiful tale of nobility, chivalry, duty, and sacrifice.

Next up, The Jesus I Never Knew by Philip Yancey. (I loved the author's book, What's So Amazing About Grace?)

Oh, and I'm part way through The Elegance of the Hedgehog.

Do you have an audiobook version you would recommend? Etan Frome is the only Edith Wharton I've read. Which one should I try next?

I just finished ANOTHER re-reading of Ethan Frome a couple weeks ago. Is the movie version you mentioned any good? Is it true to the book? Is it worth the time to watch it? TIA!

I just finished ANOTHER re-reading of Ethan Frome a couple weeks ago. Is the movie version you mentioned any good? Is it true to the book? Is it worth the time to watch it? TIA!

Worth watching? Yes, I would definitely watch it again. Is it true to the book? For me it was fine though some reviewers on Netflix complained about it. It's been several years since I watched it and read the book, so I can't think of anything specific. I enjoyed both.

I just finished Teach Like Your Hair's On Fire. I LOVED this book! If you can read this book and not be inspired to do a great job with your homeschooling, you must not have a pulse. Only thing I didn't like is that I had it on Kindle and the formatting was screwed up at times and I couldn't read an entire line in places. :glare: Not sure why that was.

Next up, Wuthering Heights, my classic for...March. :tongue_smilie: I'm a little bit behind.

And can I just say, I am sooo enjoying being a part of this challenge and reading all the great posts about what ya'll are reading? My "to read" list is as long as my "read 2010" list, or possibly longer!

Worth watching? Yes, I would definitely watch it again. Is it true to the book? For me it was fine though some reviewers on Netflix complained about it. It's been several years since I watched it and read the book, so I can't think of anything specific. I enjoyed both.

Thanks! I think I will see if our library has it and check it out!

I just finished Teach Like Your Hair's On Fire. I LOVED this book! If you can read this book and not be inspired to do a great job with your homeschooling, you must not have a pulse.

I agree that it was an inspiring read. All I could wonder though is whether he still has anything left to give his family at the end of the day.

Regards,

Kareni

I agree that it was an inspiring read. All I could wonder though is whether he still has anything left to give his family at the end of the day.

I agree; it seemed like he was so involved with the class that his family hardly ever saw him. IIRC he did say about halfway through that he had to learn to cut back and not get so involved, for his own good and for the kids--but even then I thought his family couldn't be getting much.

I really enjoyed House of Mirth, but I cannot remember if I listened to Barbara Caruso or Anna Fields read it. Both look like good versions.

Thank you. I checked my library and it has the one read by Anna Fields. Maybe when I start riding my stationary bike (:001_rolleyes:), I'll listen to it.