Menu

From the: 'We Can't Make This Up' Files:

:confused:

I have been leaving voice mails for my mom (she lives with my sister) for two days - she lives in NJ, I live in Va. A close family friend passed away, and she would want to know, make some phone calls, and arrange to attend the services - which will be about a three hour trip for her. I will attend as well, and wanted to know if she wanted to ride with me as it will be about a 7 hour trip for me.

Stay with me...........................DH is on travel in Orlando. He just emails me that he is waiting for a table at a restaurant in Orlando, and who walks in, yes, that's right, my mom, my sister, and my niece.

:leaving:

Seriously, the odds have to be about ten zillion to one LOL!

Right! :iagree: DH's associates could not believe it. My mom and my sister (who is NEVER speechless) were speechless. I should probably go buy a lottery ticket or something.....but I've never bought one of those in my life.....I don't even know how.

How amazing is that?! I love stuff like this!

Oh, I have one!

Before dh and I got married, dh ran a church Primary age class with a lady from Tonga. I'd heard her name, but I never met her. We got married in 1988, and move up to Washington in 1989. Fast forward to 2005: We've been married for 17 years and have 3 kids, ages 8, 11 and 14. We got this amazing opportunity to go on a mission trip to Fiji! So, that summer we were on on of the Fiji Islands, not the one the airport is on. We were working at a little mission school to paint and build. The day before we left, my dh was talking to one of the Fijian guys about where he'd lived, since that guy said he'd been to the US a couple of times. He mentioned that he knew some Tongans and said their names and that he worked with them at a church in this one city.

That afternoon dh is working near that man again, and the man said, "That lady you mentioned, she's here!" DH looked at him....."Yes, she's here at my house. She is visiting relatives." We were able to walk to his house and meet up with her!

Who would've ever thought that 18 years after dh and her had last seen each other, they'd meet again---on a small island in Fiji! :D That was so cool!

hee hee hee.

My sister walked into my ex-boyfriend in *Paris*. Neither knew that the other was there. And my sister didn't know he was my ex by then. They met at Les Tuileries, like that, by fluke.

How amazing is that?! I love stuff like this!

Oh, I have one!

Before dh and I got married, dh ran a church Primary age class with a lady from Tonga. I'd heard her name, but I never met her. We got married in 1988, and move up to Washington in 1989. Fast forward to 2005: We've been married for 17 years and have 3 kids, ages 8, 11 and 14. We got this amazing opportunity to go on a mission trip to Fiji! So, that summer we were on on of the Fiji Islands, not the one the airport is on. We were working at a little mission school to paint and build. The day before we left, my dh was talking to one of the Fijian guys about where he'd lived, since that guy said he'd been to the US a couple of times. He mentioned that he knew some Tongans and said their names and that he worked with them at a church in this one city.

That afternoon dh is working near that man again, and the man said, "That lady you mentioned, she's here!" DH looked at him....."Yes, she's here at my house. She is visiting relatives." We were able to walk to his house and meet up with her!

Who would've ever thought that 18 years after dh and her had last seen each other, they'd meet again---on a small island in Fiji! :D That was so cool!

The world is an amazingly small place!

One of my favorites is from a young man that was in our college group at church. He went home to the NYC/Long Island area with friends but decided not to let his folks in Long Island know. He knew there was no way they would run into them. His dad only went into the city Monday through Friday. Boy was he surprised when a hand grabbed his shoulder on the subway in NYC and the voice said, "son, what are you doing here?" :lol: I tell my kids that parents will always know what they are doing.

One of my favorites is from a young man that was in our college group at church. He went home to the NYC/Long Island area with friends but decided not to let his folks in Long Island know. He knew there was no way they would run into them. His dad only went into the city Monday through Friday. Boy was he surprised when a hand grabbed his shoulder on the subway in NYC and the voice said, "son, what are you doing here?" :lol: I tell my kids that parents will always know what they are doing.

THAT is a great story!:lol:

But Mariann, wasn't it weird that she didn't tell you she was traveling to Orlando? Do you guys not talk that often? I can see you not mentioning that your dh would be there if he travels a lot and she couldn't keep up with his schedule, but our moms don't typically jet off to Orlando without us knowing do they? Curious minds want to know...:D

But Mariann, wasn't it weird that she didn't tell you she was traveling to Orlando? Do you guys not talk that often? I can see you not mentioning that your dh would be there if he travels a lot and she couldn't keep up with his schedule, but our moms don't typically jet off to Orlando without us knowing do they? Curious minds want to know...:D

Perfectly reasonable question. Nope, not weird at all. My sister is the type who will wake up, look at her 8 year old dd and say, 'Hey, why don't we go to Disneyworld for a few days?' OR (and either is equally likely) my sister, who is a doctor, possibly was attending a conference at Disney (which is what DH is doing) -- those things tend to be held at 'family' places if they are scheduled during a school break so that spouses and children might tag along.

My mom is the type who does not leave messages on voice mail. As I have been leaving voice mail messages to my mom the past two days (b/c I DO leave voice mail :glare:), in the back of my head I was wondering where my mom might be traveling and I wasn't told about it.

No, trust me, so not weird, it probably IS weird.:001_huh:

We do talk at least once a week, but believe me, my mom would forget to tell me, or she would think she had told me -- nothing surprises me.

btw, dh didn't tell my mom about the friend who passed away - he said it wasn't the time or place (he was with some federal government muckity muck AND he said he didn't want to spoil my mom's good time) so I still have to tell her when she gets home -- tomorrow, I think.

I've got one. Maybe not SO amazing since I do live in South Florida afterall, but here goes... ;) When I was working my way through college I had a job at the mall in a woman's clothing store. I live in the county that is just above Miami and the mall I worked in was kind of touristy so a lot of Spanish speakers would come up to shop there. My managers would always call me to come help the Spanish speaking customers since many of them didn't speak English at all or only very little. One day a husband and wife came in to the store and they called me from the back to help them. The wife told me what she was looking for and I picked out some outfits for her and while she was in the fitting room her husband asked me where I was from. I told him that I was American but that my family were Spanish and Cuban. He said, "I'm from Cuba. Where in Cuba are your family from?" I said Havana. He said, "I'm from Havana too. Where in Habana are they from?" I said, "Jesus del monte." He said, "I'm from there too! What is your family name?" I said Pelaez and his jaw dropped and he said, "my family name is Pelaez too!" So we started naming off our relatives and eventually discovered that he was a second cousin of mine! The amazing thing though is that only half of my family (my grandparents etc) came to Florida from Cuba with the cigar industry before Castro came to power and settled in Tampa on the other side of the state. This man was an exile who came to Miami after Castro's regime was in power and he just happened to come into my store. I had no contact growing up with the other half of my family who were left behind in Cuba with the exception of meeting two of my great grandfather's siblings who got permission to come to Tampa for his funeral when he passed in 1990. Other than them I had never met any of my family on the island or had contact with them before meeting this guy randomly in the mall.

But the kind of funny thing was, all this time we were chatting, the wife was in the fitting room. She couldn't hear our conversation clearly but she could just hear that her husband was chatting up this young college girl. She came out of the dressing room all angry and glared at me like I was trying to steal her husband. He told her, "my love, it's okay. She's my cousin." The wife answered, "sure she is!" and grabbed him by the hand and left the store. It's a pity too because I never saw him again after that.

Edited by Ibbygirl

I have one. When I was in 9th grade, my church youth group went to a retreat with several other groups from our state (NC). While there I met a cute boy and we started talking. Long story short, we were both born in the same hospital in VA 12 days apart. Both of us were put up for adoption. Both of us were adopted at exactly 1 mo. of age.

Now here is the crazy part: three years later, my family moved to NC. Through talking that weekend, we realized that his father was the minister at our church for about a year after we moved there! Then his father moved to another church in a different NC city. And here we were, 11 or so years later, meeting each other. Such a small, small world...

I have one (these are fun!)--

I went to lunch with my 83 year old dear friend and her DAR group. I talked to one of the ladies who was waiting in line with me, and found out she and her husband had gone to my childhood church in Ohio for years, leaving just the year before my family moved there--The church is in Ohio, has about 400 people, and we now live in VA. She knew my old minister very well!

It is a small world after all! LOL

I have one. My dh and I moved to TX from CA. My dh was born and raised in CA and has had the same friends his whole life. In high school one of his best friends parents got divorced and his friend moved to TX with one of the parents. They didn't do a good job of keeping in touch, but everytime the friend visited CA he would look for my dh and they'd have lunch or something. Many years passed and dh and the friend lost touch and we left CA for TX.

About 4 years ago this friend got married and went to CA for his honeymoon. He showed up at my in-laws house to find out where my DH was. My MIL told the guy we had moved to TX. He asks where and when she told him his jaw dropped because we live 20 minutes from him! So now DH and his childhood friend get to see each other regularly. They love to tell the story too.

Gotcha, makes sense actually.:D

....which is kind of frightening, don't you think? ;)

I've got one.
I have one.
I have one (these are fun!)--

I have one
These are fun!

It is a small world after all! LOL

I have one.

These ARE such fun! Keep them coming (of course, I probably have killed the thread now. :svengo:)

My husband and I lived in Europe for a year (when we were in our early 20s). During that time, we ran into countless people we knew from the States in different countries:

a high school classmate while standing in line for "standing only", nosebleed tickets for the Vienna Opera

dh's college professor at the Vienna airport

my ex-boyfriend/classmate at Westminster Abbey in London

another classmate at a church in London

and those are just the few I can remember. It was really so weird.

I don't think it's weird but rather cool.

What I do find odd is that your DH went to Orlando during Spring Break and left you and your DC at home in NOVA. And, to top it all off, neither of you thought about inviting your 'friends' to go with you.

HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMm, pot-stirring?

'Orlando?' he asked. 'When?' I asked. 'Week before Easter.' He replied.

'When you look out the window and see this: 0511-0810-3119-1750_Cartoon_of_a_Flying_Pig_Wearing_Goggles_clipart_image.jpg .' I replied.

Anyway, our appliances were supposed to be delivered on Monday so I ws staying here for that HUGE occasion. But, apparently, our new stove has done 'something' suspicious because it is being held at Customs.

Looks like I will be driving to NJ for a wake and funeral so it's just as well I stayed here -- now talk about fun!

What a fun thread! And by luck I have a story to add to it too.

A few weeks ago DH and I were flying to Salt Lake City for a ski trip and had a layover in the Denver airport. We were killing time walking around when he said "That woman that just passed us looks like your sister Camille." I turned around to look but she disappeared into the ladies restroom. My sister lives in Hollywood and I talk to her about twice a month so I had no idea if she'd be in Denver but thought it unlikely because it was pretty early and she was not a morning person but I tried calling her anyway. No answer. Then I decided to hang around outside the ladies room until the mystery woman comes out. Yep. It was my sister. I can't believe DH saw her and I didn't! She walked right past us. Boy was she suprised. It was pretty cool.

9ef0d8592e9518aa

Trouble-maker: 709-511.gif

What a fun thread! And by luck I have a story to add to it too.

My husband and I met in a bar in a small town in Maryland. 23 years ago. The couple that sits in front of us in church (in middle Tennessee) met in the same bar, 30 years ago.

Keep em coming! Uh, D.A........where is your story? :toetap05: I know you didn't come in here just to make trouble........117cooking.gif

I love these stories. Here's mine:

Where we used to live I sang on our church's worship team. I sang tenor and one day a new guy joined our team. He also sang tenor, our voices melded very well together. He had just moved from out of state and his parents had moved to this state as well, but a small town in the southern portion of the state. It was the same town my mother was from. I always thought it was weird because this southern town is not a place you'd move just on a whim.

Well we sang together for two years, I became friends with his wife and kids, we got along great. After some questioning and research we determined that we have the same set of grandparents about five generations back. I forget the exact distance but it was exciting to learn we were cousins.