Menu

Berenstain Bears Big Book of Science and Nature ???

mlktwins

Hi all! For those that have it or have seen it, is the Berenstain Bears Big Book of Science and Nature http://www.sonlight.com/PS12.html is worth $30?

My boys are 4.5 and I'm starting HS K in August. I'm not going to do an overwhelming amount of science this first year, but want to get some in each month. I'm following the WTM way of doing science for 1st grade (starting in K) and also have BFSU (I love reading this myself). I think my boys would really like this book though -- just to read -- as they are really into the Magic School Bus books right now are a learning a lot.

Thanks much!

Mendy

I would check this one out if you can rather than purchasing. My boys enjoyed it, but little was retained, and it is not one of the books they pull from the shelf and read over and over. It was more of a one-time read. To me, it also felt slightly more "schooly" which may be why the boys don't return to it.

My ds loved this book from about age 4ish until 2nd grade or so. I covered ours with a clear paperback book covering (like contact paper, sort of) and our copy got carried around so much it still got worn out. My ds even took it camping as a reference book when he was in K or 1st. It was well worth the money to me. I've even debated buying a 2nd copy for us.

We loved using it last year and my boys still read it often. It was easy for me to come up with easy experiments that corresponded with our reading. We also covered ours with Reddi-roll and it's holding up well despite frequent use and falling off the top bunk several times.

I know a lot of people love it, but I've had if for 2 years and my kids have never shown ANY interest in it. That said, they can't get enough of the Let's Read and Find Out books. This of course is just our personal preference. Also, we've never had a curriculum that used it.

just my 2 cents

Angela

What is the slant with Creation Vs. Evolution? Is there a slant? Do they go over things like age of the earth (thier dinosaur book is quite evolutionary so I wonder if that is an issue in this one).

Stacey

I love the book, and so do all my kids !!! There is no slant at all. Seasons, animals, plants, fish, etc. It is adorable !!

Handleonthearts.com has a very cheap hands on ebook that goes with it. Lapbook / Notebooking, crafts, and all kinds of other things. My son loves it so much, we are doing it all over again at his request !

I had the Bears' Nature Book and The Bears' Almanac when I was a kid ( they were two separate books back then) and I loved them! I enjoyed looking at the pictures as much as having the book read to me - there is so much to look at on each page. I did learn some basic science - what is a mammal, months of the year, seasons, etc.

I bought a copy for my kids and they have loved it, as well. I think I might have bought mine on Amazon? or perhaps I got the SL discount because I don't remember paying $30 for it, maybe it was closer to $21.

It is a wonderful book - don't miss it!!

I had the Nature Book when I was a kid and loved it. No, I didn't learn a whole lot from it, but it was fun and my mom used it as a spring board for individual concepts that I wanted to explore in more depth.

That being said, I bought the new, combined version for my DD and she enjoys it. It's not necessarily a sit down and read all the time book, but it goes over basic concepts. My only complaint has to do w/the quality of the pictures. They were not reproduced very well and are blurry/lower quality than the original book.