Menu

Healthy and sustaining breakfasts that are not warm?

Calvin can't face cooked breakfast first thing in the morning. I want to be providing more nutritious breakfasts for when he starts going to school - currently he has a piece of fruit, some orange juice and some rice crispies for breakfast, then he'll snack on nuts later. He doesn't like whole grain cereals much. Things that I have thought of so far:

Tuna in a pita

Prawns and salad in a wrap

Smoothie with protein powder

Home made yoghurt with ???

He doesn't like peanut butter. Any other ideas? It has to be something that I can put together in five minutes.

Thanks

Laura

hard boiled eggs or some sort of egg salad sandwich

bagel with cream cheese

quiche (can make ahead and eat cold or at room temperature)

I should have mentioned that Calvin only likes cheese if it's very toasted, so it doesn't fit the 'not warm' description. For some reason, the light cheesiness of quiche is fine.

I'll try him on egg salad: I always hated it myself, but there's no reason why he should.

Laura

My favourite, in the days I could eat oats was Bircher Muesli.

Boy that's a hard ask!

In general he's a good eater, but has problems with keeping breakfast down. There's something about the texture of whole grain cereals, including muesli, that doesn't sit well in his stomach.

Laura

Edited by Laura Corin

Have you had bircher muesli? It's more like a smooth, cold porridge, which sounds disgusting but it's delicious. It has fruit in it too. It's oats and other things, soaked overnight in liquid in the fridge. It's not very muesli at all. You may realise that, just thought it was worth a mention in case you don't :)

However, I sympathise, I'm like that at breakfast too, I usually have mine at about 10am.

Have you had bircher muesli? It's more like a smooth, cold porridge, which sounds disgusting but it's delicious. It has fruit in it too. It's oats and other things, soaked overnight in liquid in the fridge. It's not very muesli at all. You may realise that, just thought it was worth a mention in case you don't :)

However, I sympathise, I'm like that at breakfast too, I usually have mine at about 10am.

I have had Bircher Muesli and it's certainly worth trying it on him.

Laura

http://www.greendivamom.com/2008/12/14/12-great-tasting-green-smoothie-recipes/

http://www.greensmoothie.com/blend/green.html

http://greensmoothierecipes.org/

http://www.greensmoothiegirl.com/ (her stuff is to buy, but I found some bits of information helpful on her site)

ETA: Today's for the H's :

2.5-3 cup frozen fruit,

2 bananas, some ground flax seed,

abt 5 cups greens (kale and mixed baby greens),

apple juice and water.

Blend til smooth.

This is more than enough for the four of us (we really need to cut down a tad as none of us needs a tumbler full for breakfast).

ETA 2: BTW, some people add protein powder. I don't. If I did, I'd use a plant based one like Pea Protein or whatever.

Edited by 2J5M9K

Avocado? one of my fav fast foods is mashed avo on soft bread with sprouts. maybe with a sprinkling of lime.

what about other foods not warm...or is it just warm cereal he doesn't like. My kids are terrible about traditional breakfast foods. they eat leftovers for breakfast. noodles, soups, anything i think , but toast and cereal. This morning it was pizza. I am not sure the 16 yr old even warmed it up. But it was plenty heathy- whole wheat crust, chicken, tomatoes, pesto. Should keep him until nutrition break at school.

Avocado? one of my fav fast foods is mashed avo on soft bread with sprouts. maybe with a sprinkling of lime.

what about other foods not warm...or is it just warm cereal he doesn't like. My kids are terrible about traditional breakfast foods. they eat leftovers for breakfast. noodles, soups, anything i think , but toast and cereal. This morning it was pizza. I am not sure the 16 yr old even warmed it up. But it was plenty heathy- whole wheat crust, chicken, tomatoes, pesto. Should keep him until nutrition break at school.

Otherwise leftovers would be great. I'll try him on avocados again.

Laura

I make my own museli just by mixing my favorite cereals and adding nuts and instant style oatmeal. Whole grain cereal will be more sustaining and the less sugar the better too. FWIW I find smoothies even with protein powder not sustaining unless coupled with a whole grain. HTH

Edited by Time4tea
clarification and to correct spelling

When we were growing up food was food. So, anything he likes the rest of the time that's healthy and fast - I'd try it. I like the pizza idea - we always ate it leftover for breakfast. These mini apple pies look yummy. And if you look around the mini apple pie site you'll find lots of great, healthy ideas (the breakfast cookies are really delicious and better for you than cereal). :)

ETA - I am sympathetic to his needs. Oatmeal used to make me vomit as a kid. I still try it every year - but every year it's still nasty. Now, after 15 years of living in the South, I like grits. Go figure.

Do you have a good link?

Thanks

Laura

I make green smoothies. I just blend together frozen fruit, usually blueberries because they mask the green, with some yogurt or milk, a few ice cubes, some orange juice (gives it a little zip) and a couple of handfuls of spinach. They have never noticed the spinach.

I've even added protein powder the mix.

I was so surprised at how much spinach I could add to a blender and not have the kids even notice. (Of course, stuffing the spinach into the blender without anybody noticing can be challenging. :001_smile:)

Have y'all ever tried green smoothies? You can't get a better breakfast (a couple portions of fruit and veggies in one cup!). He may need some nuts or cereal or toast/crackers on the side.

Most important would be water though.

:iagree: I think spinach is the most mild of the greens. My kids like smoothies with 1/2 cup milk, 1/2 cup water, 3 cups baby spinach leaves. Blend. Then add 1/2 frozen banana and a few frozen strawberries. You could also add a scoop of protein powder if you think he needs more protein.

Great suggestion, Pamela.

I've been helped by reading Dr. Mercola's Total Health Cookbook and Program http://www.amazon.com/Mercolas-Total-Health-Cookbook-Program/dp/0970557469

and Eat Right For Your Type http://www.amazon.com/Eat-Right-Your-Type-Individualized/dp/039914255X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1267718736&sr=1-1

Some bodies just need different foods. I can relate to your dear son. Although today I was making crepes for a party this afternoon and ended up having strawberry/homemade whipped cream crepes for breakfast - not something I can usually do - but it WAS worth it! :lol:

Blessings,

Julie

Breakfast cookies? My dd likes leftover pizza for breakfast on the days she goes to school - still cold too. We do a pizza on spelt crust with a homemade sauce. Bagel with cream cheese? Wheat germ and honey in the yogurt?

I'm so glad you posted this link. I was going to say I sometimes give my kids cookies for breakfast, but didn't want to sound like a "bad mom." I just use an ordinary oatmeal cookie recipe, but cut down the sugar, add protein powder, nuts & raisins. The cookies in the link you provided look even better (and better for us), but I'll skip the cheese, since I'm allergic, and sub in nuts.

ETA: One of my sons likes instant oatmeal, but made with cold water (not cooked). I don't think he's ever eaten something warm for breakfast. He doesn't even like bacon warm.

Edited by MeanestMomInMidwest

Yogurt with uncooked oats or cheerios or granola and/or with fruit.

This is what I was going to suggest. My favorite is vanilla yogurt with some uncooked oats, blueberries, and sliced banana mixed in. Maybe some dried cranberries. Ground flax seeds on top.

Otherwise, maybe a muffin or a nice slice of a quickbread like banana or zuchinni bread and a piece of fruit?

In general he's a good eater, but has problems with keeping breakfast down. There's something about the texture of whole grain cereals, including muesli, that doesn't sit well in his stomach.

Laura

I hate cereal, it's a texture issue. It gets soggy, ick.

Boiled eggs fall into the warm-and-stomach-turning category, unfortunately.

What about if you made them the night before and kept them in the fridge overnight?

How about some continental cold cuts with French bread? Would he eat any of that?

I think this is a good idea, have you tried the little edges of laughing cow cheese? If he normally likes cheese toasted but likes quiche, it might be worth a try, it's nice and light. I only mention the cheese because when had baguette, cold cuts and cheese for breakfast quite often.

Have you tried making baked oatmeal or baked grits the night before so that they would be cold in the am?

For baked oatmeal I use a recipe similar to this but I use brown sugar instead of regular sugar and add a little vanilla. I bake it the night before and give it to my kids in the am with strawberries or blueberries.

Calvin can't face cooked breakfast first thing in the morning. I want to be providing more nutritious breakfasts for when he starts going to school - currently he has a piece of fruit, some orange juice and some rice crispies for breakfast, then he'll snack on nuts later. He doesn't like whole grain cereals much. Things that I have thought of so far:

Tuna in a pita

Prawns and salad in a wrap

Smoothie with protein powder

Home made yoghurt with ???

He doesn't like peanut butter. Any other ideas? It has to be something that I can put together in five minutes.

Thanks

Laura

Yoghurt with fresh fruit salad is nice. Would he go for some granola mixed into the yoghurt?

If you feel he needs a bit more protein, perhaps a fried egg sandwich served cold. My dh loves that for a lunch, but he won't eat the egg if it's hot. I just cook up an egg and put it in the fridge for about 5-10 minutes while I cut up some fruit to go with it, then assemble as a sandwich using whatever breads I have on hand.

:iagree: I think spinach is the most mild of the greens. My kids like smoothies with 1/2 cup milk, 1/2 cup water, 3 cups baby spinach leaves. Blend. Then add 1/2 frozen banana and a few frozen strawberries. You could also add a scoop of protein powder if you think he needs more protein.

Great suggestion, Pamela.

We make smoothies with spinach all the time. A banana or two, OJ and/or pineapple and juice, lots of baby spinach, and frozen berries. I often add ground flax or wheat germ. I've added more veggies (cabbage, yellow squash, carrots) before, but find I need to add a little agave nectar or honey to sweeten it up in that case.