Menu

http://news.yahoo.com/s/time/20100302/us_time/09171196809900

"So why did he seek asylum in the U.S. rather than relocate to nearby Austria or another European country that allows homeschooling? Romeike's wife Hannelore tells TIME the family was contacted by the Virginia-based Home School Legal Defense Association (HSLDA), which suggested they go to the U.S. and settle in Morristown, Tenn. The nonprofit organization, which defends the rights of the U.S. homeschooling community - with its estimated 2 million children, or about 4% of the total school-age population - is expanding its overseas outreach. And on Jan. 26, the HSLDA helped the Romeikes become the first people granted asylum in the U.S. because they were persecuted for homeschooling."

"The ruling is tricky politically for Washington and its allies in Europe, where several countries - including Spain and the Netherlands - allow homeschooling only under exceptional circumstances, such as when a child is extremely ill. That helps explain why in late February, U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement formally appealed the Romeike ruling, which was issued by an immigration judge in Memphis, Tenn. His unprecedented decision has raised concerns that the already heavily backlogged immigration courts will be flooded with asylum petitions from homeschoolers in countries typically regarded as having nonrepressive governments."

"Meanwhile, the HSLDA says it is working to defend a homeschooling family in Sweden and is investigating cases in Brazil, where homeschooling is banned - all good fodder for a comparative-government class, whether it's taught in school or at home."

While I think that everyone deserves the right to home school their children, I am very concerned that the HSLDA is actively seeking out home school families overseas. If you read it carefully, the US is concerned of offending allies. There were several countries closer to Germany that they could have fled to and didn't before being contacted by the HSLDA.

I am honestly concerned b/c it does seem as if a group in the US is seeking out countries where home school is illegal and trying to bring them to the US. Normally political asylum requires more dire circumstances. I am concerned that it could cause political problems state side. Some politicians will see this as an opportunity to question home schooling and whether it is ethical to actively seek out citizens of other countries to bring them here to home school.

"Successful asylum petitions typically involve applicants whose situations are more dire, such as women who were forced to undergo abortions or genital mutilation and men whose lives were threatened because they are homosexuals or political dissidents. But Piver believes the Memphis judge was right to grant the Romeikes asylum, since the law covers social groups with "a well-founded fear of persecution" in their home country."

U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement has submitted an appeal requesting to overturn the judgeĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s decision to grant the Romeikes asylum.

I am concerned that yet again the US will be seen as trying to stir trouble in other countries. There will be politicians state side that will see this as an opportunity to question home schooling in the states. They will also see this as a possible conflict with ally countries that we do not need. It could open a whole can of worms that we do not need.

Maybe I am confused, but I thought the HSLDA was to help protect home schooling rights in the US not to actively seek out high profile foreign cases. They are already seeking other foreign cases in ally countries even though the Romeikes asylum case is actively being appealed by the US government.

I don't understand why the HSLDA is seeking out these cases in order to bring them to the US. Why not establish an HSLDA in their country and try to change the system that these people are opposing?

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hsislegal.com

I hope these folks were treated better than others the HSLDA has tried to help.

I'm not sure this site is critical as much as bashing. Then to have a link to "legal mumbo jumbo" for its disclaimer. I don't know how much I'd trust someone that flippant.

Edited by Parrothead

I saw this more as a move in HSLDA's part to make homeschooling in America even more accepted & mainstream. As in, once you grant asylum to families of other countries on the basis of homeschooling being a parental right, a freedom, it would make things rather sticky later if you tried to clamp down on that freedom. Does that make sense?

I have no clue though. That was just my thought.

I saw this more as a move in HSLDA's part to make homeschooling in America even more accepted & mainstream. As in, once you grant asylum to families of other countries on the basis of homeschooling being a parental right, a freedom, it would make things rather sticky later if you tried to clamp down on that freedom. Does that make sense?

:iagree: My thoughts went towards them trying to say that hsing is a basic right, one that every person deserves regardless of where they live. It sort of sounds like, imo, they're trying to attack forced government indoctrination/education...

:iagree: My thoughts went towards them trying to say that hsing is a basic right, one that every person deserves regardless of where they live. It sort of sounds like, imo, they're trying to attack forced government indoctrination/education...

I can see certain things as basic human rights, but I think it is overstepping boundaries to actively seek out citizens of other countries based on the right to home school alone. The US is not the only country that allows homeschooling. However, the HSLDA was the only group to actively seek out this family. It is very political.

It is also stepping on foreign countries that are our allies toes. They haven't been granted permanent asylum and it is being appealed by US immigration. In other words, they may not get to stay anyway. Yet, HSLDA is actively seeking other families in other countries to try and do the same thing.

"His unprecedented decision has raised concerns that the already heavily backlogged immigration courts will be flooded with asylum petitions from homeschoolers in countries typically regarded as having nonrepressive governments." This is speaking of the judge in Tennessee that allowed the asylum.

I honestly think it could open those home schooling in the US up to more scrutiny from politicians. The HSLDA is seen to represent home schooling in the US and here they are actively seeking a battle with foreign countries over their educational policies. This case isn't over. It will definitely go to the higher courts in the appeals process and likely to the Supreme Court before it is over.

So there could be rulings from this that could regulate rights of home schoolers. Decisions based on the appeals process could give more stringent definitions of the right to home school in the US. Right now, the states decide on the regulations that they impose on home schoolers. Every state has different regulations. Supposing this goes to the Supreme Court in appeals process, then there could be a federal ruling concerning home school. So by actively seeking a battle with foreign countries over home schooling, there could be repercussions with international foreign policy, trade, and many other issues that have nothing to do with home schooling. It could also cause there to be rulings in the US based on this case about the right to home school in general.

The law is a funny thing. It could definitely backfire and cause a ruling that redefines the right to home school and whether it is a basic right.

The law is a funny thing. It could definitely backfire and cause a ruling that redefines the right to home school and whether it is a basic right.

Or it could settle the question once and for all and make homeschooling as much a right as free speech and due process.

That is rather unusual. But maybe they can join groups that think children from poorer countries (like, say, Haiti) should be brought here and adopted by American families.

and yet there were plenty of comments on this very board about the "trauma of change" from orphanage to America, and concerns about children being seen as puppies.

i don't see calls for other organizations that address very specific issues being asked to focus on issues like, say, children from haiti.:confused:

while i agree that life in America is hands-down better than life in haiti, it seems like there are FAR more organizations dedicated to helping children in foreign countries through relief efforts, missionaries, and adoption than there are helping homeschoolers being jailed in other countries.

HSLDA has enough on its plate dealing with homeschooling.

However, the HSLDA was the only group to actively seek out this family. It is very political.

The HSLDA is seen to represent home schooling in the US and here they are actively seeking a battle with foreign countries over their educational policies.

Supposing this goes to the Supreme Court in appeals process, then there could be a federal ruling concerning home school.

I have major problems with all of these things. I think HSLDA is trying really hard to be THE voice of homeschooling in the US when they only represent one segment of the homeschooling population.

and yet there were plenty of comments on this very board about the "trauma of change" from orphanage to America, and concerns about children being seen as puppies.

i don't see calls for other organizations that address very specific issues being asked to focus on issues like, say, children from haiti.:confused:

while i agree that life in America is hands-down better than life in haiti, it seems like there are FAR more organizations dedicated to helping children in foreign countries through relief efforts, missionaries, and adoption than there are helping homeschoolers being jailed in other countries.

HSLDA has enough on its plate dealing with homeschooling.

I think she was being facetious.

I have major problems with all of these things. I think HSLDA is trying really hard to be THE voice of homeschooling in the US when they only represent one segment of the homeschooling population.
I did notice from the original Time article that the family in question is Evangelical Christian. I wonder how much impact this had in HSLDA's actions here (maybe none).

I just don't understand why HSLDA felt they should get involved with other countries.

for the same reason that LOTS of organizations feel they should get involved in other countries.

maybe because they recognize that our Supreme Court looks at legal precedent in other countries.

maybe because we have so many people pointing to examples in other countries about how things in the US should be done.

maybe because they realize that families who want to homeschool should be allowed to, regardless what country they live in. They are homeschool advocates, ya know.

I can understand it.

HSLDA RARELY helps anyone who isnt christian, then. HSLDA isnt my favorite.

I think its virtually criminal that the US granted this family assylum when people in actual DANGER are ignored.

now you get to define "RARELY."

are you saying that the US has ignored everyone else and dedicated all its resources to granting asylum to foreign homeschoolers?

or do you allow that a country can help a few minor cases while simultaneously doling out critical aid elsewhere?

are you ready to jump on the bandwagon and bash all these darn colleges that are doling out scholarships to obviously smart-enough people and should instead be using those funds to help people who are actually in DANGER right here in the US?

:glare:

Maybe this has changed then. I'm pretty sure they used to require a SOF to join and they do not advocate for you in a specific way unless you are a member.

it helps if one reads original sources instead of relying on second hand info.

i included a link to their site.

it helps if one reads original sources instead of relying on second hand info.

i included a link to their site.

I have read their site but I've been homeschooling for 9 years now. If they've changed their policies, that's great. But I think it's disingenuous to imply they advocate for anyone, that isn't the case at all.

I have read their site but I've been homeschooling for 9 years now. If they've changed their policies, that's great. But I think it's disingenuous to imply they advocate for anyone, that isn't the case at all.

I never implied that they advocate "for anyone" -- their membership app is very specific that they don't. Anyone can read it online. But "being an evangelical Christian" is NOT the deciding factor.

Guest Katia
i'd like to see the facts on that assertion.

Well, I don't have the original paperwork that we signed 16 years ago when we first started homeschooling, but I know we had to sign a SOF to join HSLDA. We had to do this two or three years in a row. So yes, they used to require that you were an evangelical Christian and sign that you were before you could join and/or be defended.

I'm glad to hear they have changed that, but I would still never re-join. They are not what they purport themselves to be and I don't need them. Too bad I was ever cowed into feeling my kids would be taken away from me if I didn't join their group.

I did notice from the original Time article that the family in question is Evangelical Christian. I wonder how much impact this had in HSLDA's actions here (maybe none).

I'm sure it had A LOT to do with their decision. DH and I discussed this over dinner. Would they do the same for an atheist or agnostic family? I doubt it.

I've never had anyone suggest to that I should join NOW. Have you? I'm regularly told I should join HSLDA.

i was specifically responding to the charge of "I think HSLDA is trying really hard to be THE voice of homeschooling in the US when they only represent one segment of the homeschooling population."

to spell it out:

I think NOW is trying really hard to be THE voice of women in the US when they only represent one segment of the female population.

hsislegal.com

I hope these folks were treated better than others the HSLDA has tried to help.

One should check the sources they post. All the information looks to be pre 2000 and the links the provide saying something isn't actually is or vice versa.

I also do not trust a source whose sole website is dedicated to bashing one organization. Regardless of the organization.

yeah. I have the same problem w/ the NOW gang too.

:iagree::iagree:

Maybe this has changed then. I'm pretty sure they used to require a SOF to join and they do not advocate for you in a specific way unless you are a member.

Just my two cents here...I have joined HSLDA, mainly because out neighbors are not nice people and to make a long story short I wouldn't be surprised if they ever called CPS because my kids are outside during school hours. That said, I joined about a year and a half ago and I didn't have to sign a SOF. Perhaps it was there but I mayhap they have realized that they need to broaden, at least these ones, their horizons.

To join HSLDA is a personal preference. Some like them, others do not. The story the OP linked was from TIME and I know I ALWAYS trust everything I read in media. Dos he article say that the family was contacted because another family asked HSLDA to contact them? No it doesn't, but that very well could have been the case. There are many aspects we do not know about the case.

Parents being jailed for homeschooling is a pretty good reason of asylum, yes there are more extreme and dangerous cases, but just because this one wasn't in danger of torture doesn't mean it wasn't important. The article itself said the oldest daughter was jailed.

I just feel that we are all making assumptions based off one article and how we feel about a certain organization, when we have absolutely no idea what is actually going on. This has been going on for a couple years and cannot be summed up in one article.

So there is my 2 cents...OK OK more like 10 or more but there it is.

:grouphug::grouphug:

My thoughts went along those lines too. But I don't know if that is really the effect this could be expected to have or not.

I'm sure it had A LOT to do with their decision. DH and I discussed this over dinner. Would they do the same for an atheist or agnostic family? I doubt it.

No, I don't think HSLDA would, because their mission is very narrowed down to helping families that homeschool. Or did you mean a homeschooling family that is atheist or agnostic ? I was answering thinking you meant a family being specifically persecuted for being atheist or agnostic, but not homeschooling.

i was specifically responding to the charge of "I think HSLDA is trying really hard to be THE voice of homeschooling in the US when they only represent one segment of the homeschooling population."

to spell it out:

I think NOW is trying really hard to be THE voice of women in the US when they only represent one segment of the female population.

But as a homeschooler I am regularly pressured to join HSLDA because they are THE voice of homeschooling. The largest homeschooling group here regularly reminds people to join HSLDA, insisting that it is necessary to protect ourselves.

As a contrast, I have never, ever had a single person even *suggest* that I join NOW, even in democrat and/or liberal political circles. I also disagree that NOW claims to be the voice of women. They actually claim to be the largest feminist organization in the country. They don't claim to represent every woman's opinion and are not known in Washington as representing every woman's opinion.

You're comparing apples and oranges.

No, I don't think HSLDA would, because their mission is very narrowed down to helping families that homeschool. Or did you mean a homeschooling family that is atheist or agnostic ? I was answering thinking you meant a family being specifically persecuted for being atheist or agnostic, but not homeschooling.

I meant a homeschooling atheist or agnostic family. In other words, if I lived in Germany & the government was threatening to take my children away if I didn't put them in school, would they help me? Would they use their connections to bring a homeschooling atheist or agnostic family to the US to protect their rights to homeschool? I have serious doubts about that.

I am not going into whether the HSLDA should have advocated for them or not or what their politics are.

What I have to say is that in my opinion they should not have given asylum because they could have chosen a number of European Union countries where homeschooling is legal and where as German citizens they have the right to live and work (and even vote at the local, regional and European level or get a number of various benefits including health care) without any restrictions. Any European Union citizen has the right to live and work in any European Union country, thus there is NO need or basis for this German family to ask for asylum in the US.

Edited by Mabelen

I am having a hard time thinking of a more dire circumstance than having my children unjustly taken away from me :001_huh:.

This is taken out of context. I quoted the article where the lawyer stated that it is normally more dire circumstances where political asylum is sought.

Here is the quote that I originally wrote that sentence to...

"Successful asylum petitions typically involve applicants whose situations are more dire, such as women who were forced to undergo abortions or genital mutilation and men whose lives were threatened because they are homosexuals or political dissidents. But Piver believes the Memphis judge was right to grant the Romeikes asylum, since the law covers social groups with "a well-founded fear of persecution" in their home country."

If you read some of the articles besides the times article, then you will read that the judge that granted asylum really went off on the German government.

This is a quote from the NY times

"Another German home-schooling family had already moved to Morristown, so the Romeikes sold many of their belongings, including their grand piano, and came here too. The court battle lasted over a year, and while the Romeikes’ lawyers said they had expected to succeed, they were surprised by the vigor of the judge’s opinion. So was the German government."

I am not going into whether the HSLDA should have advocated for them or not or what their politics are.

What I have to say is that in my opinion they should not have given asylum because they could have chosen a number of European Union countries where homeschooling is legal and where as German citizens they have the right to live and work (and even vote at the local, regional and European level or get a number of various benefits including health care) without any restrictions. Any European Union citizen has the right to live and work in any European Union country, thus there is NO need or basis for this German family to ask for asylum in the US.

This is definitely what I think also. I believe that they had several options before HSLDA contacted them. This is also why I don't believe that they were in a dire situation without any other options but to seek asylum in the US.

Edited by OpenMinded

I'm still not sure about my position on this...I generally support HSLDA but I have a few concerns here.

I like the idea of helping a persecuted homeschool family, but is anyone else concerned about increased scrutiny of homeschoolers due to the publicity this will get?

I don't think the general public will view this favorably because people typically associate asylum with issues more dramatic than school choice. I know most of us realize there is far more to it than school choice, but to the average person skimming a news story thats how it will be perceived.

Still thinking it through...I'm just not seeing this taking 'Parental Rights' forward. I hope that it will make more sense as I learn more about it---and that I'm missing something.

I am happy for the family, don't get me wrong, but I just don't like seeing political homeschooling stories on the front page of Yahoo.

Edited by homeschoolally

I'm still not sure about my position on this...I generally support HSLDA but I have a few concerns here.

I like the idea of helping a persecuted homeschool family, but is anyone else concerned about increased scrutiny of homeschoolers due to the publicity this will get?

I don't think the general public will view this favorably because people typically associate asylum with issues more dramatic than school choice. I know most of us realize there is far more to it than school choice, but to the average person skimming a news story thats how it will be perceived.

Still thinking it through...I'm just not seeing this taking 'Parental Rights' forward. I hope that it will make more sense as I learn more about it---and that I'm missing something.

I am happy for the family, don't get me wrong, but I just don't like seeing political homeschooling stories on the front page of Yahoo.

I am very concerned about what this publicity will do to US home school families in the long run.

I can see certain things as basic human rights, but I think it is overstepping boundaries to actively seek out citizens of other countries based on the right to home school alone. The US is not the only country that allows homeschooling.

Home education is legal in the UK, and German citizens have the automatic right to live here. So why go to the US and have to go through the whole asylum/immigration hassle? It does sound political to me.

Laura

Home education is legal in the UK, and German citizens have the automatic right to live here. So why go to the US and have to go through the whole asylum/immigration hassle? It does sound political to me.

Laura

Yes it does sound political. And I hope it's overturned honestly, in my mind it diminishes the very real and tragic reasons that people need asylum. Not to mention potentially opens the floodgates for HS asylum seekers who could reasonably and legally go live in another country.

Edited by keptwoman

We lived in Germany for three years, which were also our first three years of homeschooling. While we were covered under diplomatic rules, we did not live in the areas of the country with military concentrations, so we were very much oddities in our circle of friends and colleagues.

I knew of one other homeschooling family. When the mom told me that they homeschooled, it was as if she were telling me where the next stop on the underground railroad was. She knew homeschooling families that had contributed anonymously to newspaper articles about homeschooling, only to have the paper receive letters from school authorities stating that if they could figure out who the family was that the officials would be there to force the children into school.

There is/was a homeschooling advocacy group called Schule zu Hause (School at Home). At least one leader of the group was accused/charged with encouraging a criminal act by advising would be homeschoolers.

Most of the families who homeschool in Germany have tried to work with authorities. They don't have the legal option even of taking standardized tests or providing portfolios to certify the results of their homeschooling. The effectiveness of their educational endevours isn't a question. They simply don't have the option of making that choice at all.

Families who have tried to resist, to go through the court system, including using the EU Human Rights Court have lost time after time. Some families have had fines. Some have had their children removed from the home and put into foster homes or psych hospitals. Some have had their business assets frozen.

Religion frequently comes into play because several of the families who have resisted mandatory school attendance to the point of fines and arrest are religious, typically this is translated as evangelical but it might be more correct to describe them as non-Catholic-non-Lutheran Christians (Language being a funny thing. It was very difficult for me to get across in German that we belonged in the US to an independant protestant church - ie non denominational- because that just isn't much of a concept in Germany. Most people thought I was trying to say that I was Baptist but was messing up the German.) However, there are also German homeschoolers who aren't religious (the family from Bremen) or who are more liberal leaning who school in a Waldorf or Montessori style.

And while some families have tried moving to other countries, it isn't clear that this is a long term solution. Homeschooling isn't always a viable option in other EU countries and I've read at least one report of a German family who was detained while living in France for their violation of German homeschooling laws. So a change in residence might not solve the problem.

I do think that there is an interesting question of law over the question of asylum seekers needing to request asylum in the first safe zone they reach. But I also think that homeschoolers in Germany are definitely persecuted. Yes, they make a choice to homeschool. But in other countries, people make choices to worship a certain religion and are persecuted. I cherish educational freedom in much the same way that I cherish freedom of religion.

I'm personally thrilled with the court decision.

And while some families have tried moving to other countries, it isn't clear that this is a long term solution. Homeschooling isn't always a viable option in other EU countries and I've read at least one report of a German family who was detained while living in France for their violation of German homeschooling laws. So a change in residence might not solve the problem

That's interesting. So is homeschooling legal in France?

So in the EU you can be detained in country A, for a crime in country B, which is not illegal in country A?

Would they be better to send their kids to school in Germany, and then move countries a couple of months later so that they aren't being pursued for their "crime?"