Menu

Stu/pid Question. ETC 4.

Spy Car

OK. In Explode the Code 4, Lesson 7, page 43, the Rule: When a consonant stands between 2 vowels, the word is usually divided after the first vowel. The first syllable is open, and the vowel will say its name.

Then they list examples:

robot

silent

omit

minus

basic

stupid

...wait, back up.

stu/pid???

Now I don't know about where you live, but I don't say st-YOU/pid.

So what gives???

Bill

OK. In Explode the Code 4, Lesson 7, page 43, the Rule: When a consonant stands between 2 vowels, the word is usually divided after the first vowel. The first syllable is open, and the vowel will say its name.

Then they list examples:

robot

silent

omit

minus

basic

stupid

...wait, back up.

stu/pid???

So what gives???

Bill

It works for me just fine! I think we live in the same state, but I'm pretty sure we din't grow up or learn English in the same country... :D

Here I was just checking to see if all of the words listed fit the rule. How silly, I mean, stu/pid of me.

Is this a serious question ?

You need to remember that these rules are just tools to help with spelling, syllabication,etc. It does not mean that the words will not have a little different sound , depending on what part of the world or country they are pronounced in, when spoken. Spelling rules are not an exact science. Just a tool. The important thing is if we can read,write, and speak the language, not that all of the rules are an exact fit.

But don't mind me, I tend to dislike any spelling or phonics program that seems to be fanatical about excessive details. Not that I think ETC is too excessively detailed. But I do think that anything related to Spalding is way too focused on minute details and forgets what the big picture is, which is reading, spelling, and writing, not just learning phonics and spelling. Don't sweat the small stuff; it's all small stuff. Be happy if your child can read, write, and spell and who cares if they know a million phonics and spelling rule ? I really should just go to bed. This whole stu/pid thing is keeping me up now.

Edited by Miss Sherry

Then they list examples:

robot

silent

omit

minus

basic

stupid

...wait, back up.

stu/pid???

So what gives???

Bill

The mystery is solved. This is how the rule usually functions. It's an exception like the thousands of others in the English language.

Edited by Stacy in NJ

I'm starting to think I could get an open "U" vowel-sound from "Cupid".

And that I could manage to rhyme Cupid and Stupid.

Stupid Cupid. Cupid Stupid. Yep.

So I'm starting to regret posting this thread for the fear that I might look stoopid :lol:

Bill

Love this- so funny! :lol: Yes, this does happen quite a bit. The English language can be confusing. LOL.

I though the exact same thing as you Bill. I never understood it until I watched a demo of Susan Barton. She explains the exact thing you are speaking of. Here is the link:

http://www.webcastgroup.com/webcast/window_new/frameset.asp?WebcastID=0660721062578

It's the part of the demo that talks about open syllables. She uses the word flu to explain it.

Hope this helps.

Renee

Like stoop + id

Bill

I hear that around here, but I've always assumed it really was the hispanic influence on the word. "Hey, yo, stoop-id" Drawn out nice and slow. :lol: In Jersey, growing up that word would have been very crisp and quick. Ya, stu-pid moron! Get outta my way!

Yes, that’s how we pronounce it over here on the east coast, too. Imagine a New Yorker saying it….LOL. You stoop-id, eh? Forget aboud it! ;)

:lol:

Funny. So maybe it just depends on how you use it. Long u for an adjective. Double oo for predicate adjective. :lol:

stu/pid???

So what gives???

I'm sure there's an etymological reason it's pronounced "oo" in some words (stupid, frugal, suture, fluent, voluble, dubious, lucid, nuclear, ruby, tuba) and "you" in others (purify, curative, cubic, fuschia, fugitive, human, museum, puberty). And sometimes both at once, as in tubular ~ too-byoo-lar!

FWIW, my DH is British and he does pronounce stupid as "stchyoo-pid" ~ also "djyoo-bi-ous," "tchyoo-byoo-lar," and many others.

I think it's also interesting that U is the only vowel where we add a consonant to the long vowel sound when we "name" it ~ why don't we call it "oo" (like all the other vowels) instead of "yoo"?

Jackie

I though the exact same thing as you Bill. I never understood it until I watched a demo of Susan Barton. She explains the exact thing you are speaking of. Here is the link:

http://www.webcastgroup.com/webcast/window_new/frameset.asp?WebcastID=0660721062578

It's the part of the demo that talks about open syllables. She uses the word flu to explain it.

Hope this helps.

Renee

How long is that video Renee? :lol:

I gave up. Maybe tonight, I'll have more patience.

Bill (who really wants to know the explanation)

I hear that around here, but I've always assumed it really was the hispanic influence on the word. "Hey, yo, stoop-id" Drawn out nice and slow. :lol: In Jersey, growing up that word would have been very crisp and quick. Ya, stu-pid moron! Get outta my way!

Crisp here. But still "oo" not "ooooooo" or YOU :D

Bill

The mystery is solved. This is how the rule usually functions. It's an exception like the thousands of others in the English language.

But the qualifier usually refers to the syllable break, not the pronunciation, right?

And I can accept that the English language has many exceptions to "the rules", but wouldn't an author/publisher usually pick examples that DO conform to the rule, rather than ones that DON'T???

Or maybe it does. I keep saying "Stupid Cupid" and eventually I may come around :tongue_smilie:

Bill (usually more sure of himself :D)

Then they list examples:

robot

silent

omit

minus

basic

stupid

...wait, back up.

stu/pid???

So what gives???

Bill

I read your title and laughed because we just went through this same lesson a few weeks back. I'm right there with you, man!

I'm starting to think I could get an open "U" vowel-sound from "Cupid".

And that I could manage to rhyme Cupid and Stupid.

Stupid Cupid. Cupid Stupid. Yep.

So I'm starting to regret posting this thread for the fear that I might look stoopid :lol:

Bill

Bill,

You will never look stoop id, stew pid or any other variation. :D

I'm sorry. I forgot it was a long video. To find the part about long u, fast forward it to the 24th minute.

Rats!!!

I must have gone about 20 minutes, and then it was time to go to baseball practice :D

Thanks for letting me know :001_smile:

Bill

Crisp here. But still "oo" not "ooooooo" or YOU :D

Bill

I still hear “oo”, yes, I said “ooo”, but maybe that’s not the correct sound for Jersey. Although sometimes they do have the tendency to draw out certain sounds, maybe it depends on which part of Jersey. LOL. It does sound like stew-pid. I think the pp’s example of the word tubular is an excellent example of the different sounds of the long u. Here is the online dictionary pronunciation: Stupid.

I still hear “ooâ€, yes, I said “oooâ€, but maybe that’s not the correct sound for Jersey. Although sometimes they do have the tendency to draw out certain sounds, maybe it depends on which part of Jersey. LOL. It does sound like stew-pid. I think the pp’s example of the word tubular is an excellent example of the different sounds of the long u. Here is the online dictionary pronunciation: Stupid.

Bill,

Notice the American verses the British pronunciation in my link. I personally, don’t know anyone who says “styou-pid†like the British. Do you? I’d have to listen more closely to friends or family from overseas. I guess stupid is not a word commonly used in conversations that we have had....:lol:

Okay, done with this stupid post. :lol::D;)

Bill,

Notice the American verses the British pronunciation in my link. I personally, don’t know anyone who says “styou-pid” like the British. Do you? I’d have to listen more closely to friends or family from overseas. I guess stupid is not a word commonly used in conversations that we have had....:lol:

Okay, done with this stupid post. :lol::D;)

Other than Abbey? :lol:

No.

The "American" sounds like a robot, but is closer to the point.

Bill

Edited by Spy Car