Menu

Algebra - What to use for an elementary student?

Joyful

I hope that this is a good place to post this question.

We've been letting DS cruise through math at the pace that he likes. And this really is one of his favorite subjects. So far, we have been using MUS, EPGY and supplementing with Singapore's CWP's.

Based on his pace of learning this year, it is very likely that he will be doing algebra this coming fall/winter, when he will be 9. We could try to just let him do "applicational" problems, using the math that he would have learned by then. But DH thought it might be fun for him to learn algebra as it would make his studies of chemistry and physics more interesting too.

So, Feb/March is about the time that I start researching/shopping for materials for the next school year. And I just want to clarify that we don't push DS, it's just that he loves math and absorbs new concepts like a sponge. And I would like to provide him materials that will keep him interested (translation: not bored).

Here's my question. I've looked at the high school board, and it seems like i might lean toward something like Chalkdust or Lial's. But these seem like they would involve quite a bit of learning from reading a textbook. Would that be too dry for a 9-10 year old boy? Would that take too much "self-learning" from a 9-10 year old? I guess I'm asking, would these materials work for a mid-elementary (chronological age-wise) boy?

What materials would you consider to teach algebra to a 9-10 year old?

Should I consider using maybe MUS (since he quite likes it) and then use a high school textbook (like Chalkdust or Lial's) later on (like 2-3 years)?

Yeah, I would really appreciate people's experiences in this area.

Thanks!

Dd is 9, a 'young' 4th grader. I did make her do all of the Hands-On Equations stuff before I turned her loose on algebra in November. :) She did LoF Fractions at the end of 3rd, did LoF Decimals & Percents at the beginning of 4th, did the aforementioned HOE stuff, and she's using Life of Fred Beginning Algebra now. What is hard is figuring out where to go next. :) (For us, that will probably be Art of Problem Solving stuff, some Zaccaro stuff, and then Adv. Algebra... we shall see!)

Someone else on here has a 9 year old doing algebra with Jacobs - I think it's Jill/babysparkler?

Should I consider using maybe MUS (since he quite likes it) and then use a high school textbook (like Chalkdust or Lial's) later on (like 2-3 years)?

This is what we did. DS was in MUS. But pre-algebra lasted 2 months (because I slowed him down!). Then he went with Lial, which he liked, especially the tutorials. We also used a French long distance school for one year.

But after that, we changed our mind and we're going with Singapore NEM, mainly because we don't want to follow the US way of doing high school math. NEM matches our country's more. Plus there's financial, and statistics with NEM.

Both my oldest hit the "ready for Algebra" spot in the math learning around 9/10. I found that being ready to understand it is different from having the maturity to handle it. . .

With my oldest, I pretty much let her go from SM PM6 to Algebra, with just a few months of Intensive Practices, Key to Algebra (1st 4 books) and an aborted attempt at NEM1 in between. Even with those 6 or so filler months, she was barely 11 when she started Thinkwell Intermediate Algebra.

She did fine in the end (took her final exam yesterday with an A on the final and an A in the course!!), but it was a rough first year or so as that particular program crams a review of elementary math (i.e, prealg) into the first few units. It was a lot of material to cover and demanded a degree of accuracy that she hadn't quite mastered. The concepts came easily; it was the accurate execution of the multitudes of calculations/steps that was less readily achieved.

So, when ds#2 was even younger and at the same point in the sequence. . . I filled in a few months with Key to Algebra, Key to Geometry. . . and then had him go into TW's PreAlgebra instead of Algebra. Yes, it's been very easy. But, he is maturing and solidifying skills. He'll be closer to 11 when he is done with PreAlg in a few months and moves to Algebra. I think he is better prepared than his older sister.

So, FWIW, with your ds, I might use Key to Algebra books for an easy, low pressure, introduction to Algebra. Go as far/fast as he wants. If you want a "real" course, I'd be sure that he has really mastered PreAlgebra skills including ACCURACY. My dc were able to "get" math concepts easily and completely from very precocious ages. . . the ACCURACY has been the limiting factor when it comes to higher math.

I.e., if the student is simplifying/rearranging complex equations. . . can he have better than 98-99% accuracy in each step? (b/c one problem can easily have a dozen steps or more, so you need very high accuracy to avoid messing up virtually all your problems). "Silly errors" create total frustration in complex math.

My dd got this accuracy around age 12 or so. DS seems to be ahead of that pace and I feel his accuracy is pretty good now at age 10, so I am hopeful that Algebra will go much more smoothly for him when he starts it in a couple months. . . as he is better prepared with the PreAlgebra course (in the same format as he will use for Algebra -- Thinkwell). . . and he seems to have reached a higher rate of accuracy at an earlier age (who knows why).

Hope this rambling post helps!

Why not? You might also consider art of problem solving's books once he completes the MUS algebra 1.

Things to consider: Algebra is slightly different at his age. He may well take more than a year to fully complete the course. Or he may continue whizzing through.

Also think (just a little) about possible diversions for him if he starts to struggle unduly with the material. At his age, I wouldn't just plow through, but rather take a few weeks off and work with some problems from something like AOPS middle school books, zaccaro's challenge math, or some other creative problem-solving book, and then go back.

My DS9 has been working on Thinkwell's Beginning Algebra (an online course, sometimes available at a discount through Homeschool Buyers' Co-op) this school year. He does this in addition to his regular Singapore math (which he finds dull, so we compact it and just pick up once in awhile to ensure no gaps in his overall learning).

He's been loving the Thinkwell -- it gives him just the right amount of challenge and keeps him excited about math. It's not too hard, though. He typically gets 11 or 12 out of 12 on the exercises following each video lesson.

Great for a visual learner who might not enjoy textbooks as much -- and Professor Burger is lots of fun.

Several of the folks I know who've had much younger kids doing algebra have used Life of Fred and various books by Edward Zaccaro (Challenge Math, etc.). We've used the Zaccaro book Real World Algebra and like it, too (but my son was 11 when he did it).

Here's a link to some of Zaccaro's books:

http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/434494.Edward_Zaccaro

Ds did the Key To Algebra books at 9, and is doing fine with Dolciani at 10. We also supplemented a lot along the way: Zaccaro books (Challenge Math; we didn't use Real World Algebra, but it might be what you want), Number Devil (book and computer game), Math Olympiad (you can buy books of practice problems, some of which are extremely challenging, though all can be solved without algebra)...

So I guess I'm saying, "Yes, supplement! Give him real world problems and let him play!" and also "Yes! Let him move ahead! Don't be afraid to go ahead and do algebra!"... With kids who are truly mathy, I don't think those two are mutually exclusive.

Ds has said this year that he was very glad we supplemented a bit last year with the Key To... books before leaping in with a high school algebra text. (It might have been easier if we weren't also trying to maintain a high school pace, but I wasn't going for "easier" really...) He had also completed the Singapore Primary and Horizons 1-6 series...

So I guess I'm saying, "Yes, supplement! Give him real world problems and let him play!" and also "Yes! Let him move ahead! Don't be afraid to go ahead and do algebra!"... With kids who are truly mathy, I don't think those two are mutually exclusive.

:iagree:

My ds is doing algebra this year (he is 10, although he will turn 11 soon). We are using a combination of Life of Fred Beginning Algebra (and home companion) and Dolciani Modern Algebra (from 1975). DS is mostly doing really well. When things get tough, or don't seem to be sticking, we switch books. I've also supplemented by writing extra word problems. I'm not sure if we will finish Algebra 1 by the end of the school year, but I don't think it really matters. DS really enjoys Life of Fred, but sometimes the explanations are not clear enough for him and sometimes I think he needs extra practice.

My son started Algebra this year, at age 9 (he turned 10 at the end of October). He had already completed Saxon through 76, Singapore through 6B (including CWP), LOF Pre-Algebra books, Zaccaro's Problem Solving Genius and Challenge Math books, and a California PreAlgebra text (for credit, we did it all!). He is currently about halfway through Art of Problem Solving's Introduction to Algebra, which we are using concurrently with a California Algebra text (for credit). He is enjoying the AOPS text, but finds the "starred" questions and chapters difficult (we may go back to them at the end of the year). We plan to complete the LOF Algebra after we finish AOPS, and then move on to either the Geometry AOPS text or the Number Theory/ Probability texts. PM me if you have any questions. Good luck!

We have Lials BCM and I don't think it would be a good fit for a 9 y/o, even if he is capable of doing the math. The pages are very full and I think it would be a little overwhelming. Also, the story problem topics would be of interest to a young adult,they cover lots of real-life things like interest on loans.

I like your idea of doing MUS since he enjoys it. I think a boy that age would really enjoy the LOF series, have you looked into that? We've found Fred is a great way to introduce new material that we eventually fine-tune with a more traditional program.

Lials is so inexpensive if you're unsure you could always get a copy to see for yourself. I paid less than $10 including shipping for mine.

Good luck!

The Zaccaro books previous posters mentioned are good.

My daughter loved Hands-On Equations. It goes straight to the idea of balancing equations, but uses physical, concrete manipulatives first, then moves into conventional written notation. It uses a balance, little pawns (different colors for positive and negative x), and numbered dice that you set out on either side of the balance and then work through. By the end of 25 lessons you are dealing with some fairly complex stuff.

Marilyn Burns also has a series of investigative lessons titled "Algebraic Thinking." (Her web site is http://www.mathsolutions.com )There are books for various grade levels. My daughter liked some of these lessons so much that she -- not "mathy" in the computational sense -- would ask to play them just for fun, particularly those that involved us setting up patterns or sequences for the other to guess the rule or formula for as some of the lessons do. This is a nice complement to the Hands-On Equations, because the books investigate and explore why things work in some detail. Then the Zaccaro books let you go do advanced problems with your understanding.

Thanks so much for sharing your experiences with your dc. I'm glad that there are people here who understand the situation. :001_smile:

If you want a "real" course, I'd be sure that he has really mastered PreAlgebra skills including ACCURACY. My dc were able to "get" math concepts easily and completely from very precocious ages. . . the ACCURACY has been the limiting factor when it comes to higher math.

I.e., if the student is simplifying/rearranging complex equations. . . can he have better than 98-99% accuracy in each step? (b/c one problem can easily have a dozen steps or more, so you need very high accuracy to avoid messing up virtually all your problems). "Silly errors" create total frustration in complex math.

So is accuracy a matter of development? When ds is careless, I've always just thought it was b/c he wasn't paying full attention, or just that you know, people make mistakes. So, maybe like for handwriting, development plays some part?

How will I know that he has good accuracy? Once in a while, when subtracting (like in long division) he will add two digits. An occasional error like that is OK, right? I hope....

Things to consider: Algebra is slightly different at his age. He may well take more than a year to fully complete the course. Or he may continue whizzing through.

Thanks for the heads up on this!

Also think (just a little) about possible diversions for him if he starts to struggle unduly with the material. At his age, I wouldn't just plow through, but rather take a few weeks off and work with some problems from something like AOPS middle school books, zaccaro's challenge math, or some other creative problem-solving book, and then go back.

I've read about zaccaro's books, but AOPS is new to me. Is it a book with different types of problems? Does it come with solutions and explanations of how to solve the problems?

Dd is 9, a 'young' 4th grader. I did make her do all of the Hands-On Equations stuff before I turned her loose on algebra in November. :) She did LoF Fractions at the end of 3rd, did LoF Decimals & Percents at the beginning of 4th, did the aforementioned HOE stuff, and she's using Life of Fred Beginning Algebra now. What is hard is figuring out where to go next. :) (For us, that will probably be Art of Problem Solving stuff, some Zaccaro stuff, and then Adv. Algebra... we shall see!)

Oh yes, LOF.... I've read many raves about it! I'm glad you mentioned it, I totally forgot! It seems to me though, that I might need to use something else to let him practice more of the type of problems introduced in LOF, am I right? I haven't heard of Hands-On Equations before, one more thing to reserach.... :D Thanks!

My DS9 has been working on Thinkwell's Beginning Algebra (an online course, sometimes available at a discount through Homeschool Buyers' Co-op) this school year. He does this in addition to his regular Singapore math (which he finds dull, so we compact it and just pick up once in awhile to ensure no gaps in his overall learning).

He's been loving the Thinkwell -- it gives him just the right amount of challenge and keeps him excited about math. It's not too hard, though. He typically gets 11 or 12 out of 12 on the exercises following each video lesson.

Great for a visual learner who might not enjoy textbooks as much -- and Professor Burger is lots of fun.

Thanks for sharing about Thinkwell! Do you know how it compares with EPGY?

Thanks so much for the encouragement! You've also mentioned materials that I will need to research. It looks like mathy kids really can use up a lot of different materials to keep their minds stimulated! :D

Aigh, great fun for them, but a bummer on the budget...

We have Lials BCM and I don't think it would be a good fit for a 9 y/o, even if he is capable of doing the math. The pages are very full and I think it would be a little overwhelming. Also, the story problem topics would be of interest to a young adult,they cover lots of real-life things like interest on loans.

I like your idea of doing MUS since he enjoys it. I think a boy that age would really enjoy the LOF series, have you looked into that? We've found Fred is a great way to introduce new material that we eventually fine-tune with a more traditional program.

Lials is so inexpensive if you're unsure you could always get a copy to see for yourself. I paid less than $10 including shipping for mine.

Good luck!

Thanks for your advice! Especially about how Lial's would not be a good fit for a 9 year old.

Good luck!

Oh yes, definately overwhelming. We are pretty much through it with EPGY but I do pick problems and copy them out or have my DD do some odds to coincide with the Key to books. We are on six hundred and something because we use it as a supplement, I couldn't beat it for the price. Has your DS finished the Intro to Algebra on EPGY? I'm curious how it compares to other programs, I'm thinking AoP after that.

Thanks so much for sharing your experiences with your dc. I'm glad that there are people here who understand the situation. :001_smile:

So is accuracy a matter of development? When ds is careless, I've always just thought it was b/c he wasn't paying full attention, or just that you know, people make mistakes. So, maybe like for handwriting, development plays some part?

How will I know that he has good accuracy? Once in a while, when subtracting (like in long division) he will add two digits. An occasional error like that is OK, right? I hope....

Well, I think accuracy is both developmental and carelessness. I think the carelessness is caused by a lack of maturity. ;)

Yes, an occasional error happens all the time to everyone. The rate of errors has diminished with maturity for my dc.

The way I have seen it work is that if a child makes errors in, say 5% of the steps/calculations. . . that looks pretty good when they are doing 2nd grade math and so each "problem" is essentially a single calculation (23+56). They'd get 95% right on their exercise. Yay!!

But, when they are doing 5th grade math, each "problem" might involve 3 or 5 steps (calculations), so a 5% error rate per step would make it so the child missed more like 20% of the problems. Not so good, but still an 80% or a B, so you might not be too worked up about it. . .

But, with an Algebra problem that might involve 20, 30 or more individual steps or calculations (move this stuff over here, divide every term by this, expand the terms. . .), a 5% error rate would result in missing nearly every problem on the exercise. 0%. UGH. A 3% error rate would be better, but still total failire. A 1% error rate would result in an 80% (or so), not so bad. . . But to get a 90% A, you'd need better than 99% accuracy.

Also, Algebra is a BIG topic. Each assignment expects more time to complete. A high school algebra student would reasonably expect to spend 45 min in class working each day and another 45 min on homework. That's 90 min of concerted math effort a day. . . . which is more than I found reasonable for a 10-11 year old. . . which is why I didn't sweat it with my oldest taking 18 mos +/- do complete her Intermediate Algebra course (could have been 12-14 mos if I was more diligent about pushing her. . . but I kinda let her slack until it seemed to click better and the accuracy issue really resolved, which was more around 12 1/2 . . . and why I won't sweat it if my ds takes longer than a year.

Ds did the Key To Algebra books at 9

these look great. thanks.

One question--i guess the fact that DS is still memorizing his 'facts' shouldn't stop me from letting him work on algebra...right? :confused:

Key to Algebra series looks right up his alley. Thanks!!!!!!!

Edited by Halcyon

One question--i guess the fact that DS is still memorizing his 'facts' shouldn't stop me from letting him work on algebra...right? :confused:

I don't really know anything about the Key to Algebra series. In general though, I'd be pretty hesitant to start algebra unless the dc is pretty good on math "facts". It will make the algebra much easier if he doesn't have to think too much about the arithmetic. Honestly, take a week or two and really have those multiplication facts down, it will be worth it!

Edited to add, I don't think he needs to be "perfect" or super-speedy. He will start to figure out pretty quickly that he needs those facts.

Jean

Edited by JeanM

these look great. thanks.

I don't really know anything about the Key to Algebra series. In general though, I'd be pretty hesitant to start algebra unless the dc is pretty good on math "facts". It will make the algebra much easier if he doesn't have to think too much about the arithmetic. Honestly, take a week or two and really have those multiplication facts down, it will be worth it!

Edited to add, I don't think he needs to be "perfect" or super-speedy. He will start to figure out pretty quickly that he needs those facts.

Jean

Just to offer our experience... like many gifted kids, dd is strangely asynchronous. She understands math concepts very, very easily, but memorizing math facts? Ha! It's a matter of years rather than weeks. :) So, no, don't be afraid to move forward. Algebra has at least given her more motivation to memorize them and increase her speed.

Just to offer our experience... like many gifted kids, dd is strangely asynchronous. She understands math concepts very, very easily, but memorizing math facts? Ha! It's a matter of years rather than weeks. :) So, no, don't be afraid to move forward. Algebra has at least given her more motivation to memorize them and increase her speed.

This was me (as a child) too :P

I think I finally got them all in the instant-recall memory about the time I hit calculus.

I took a year with my mathy kid to do RightStart - A Hands-On Geometric Approach and that was very good for him. He actually gave an impromptu talk on Fibonacci, tessellation, and fractals at our local wetlands volunteer group. It came up in a talk about mathematical patterns in nature. I had no idea he had learned these topics so well he could teach them to adults at the board without preparation. He liked that the lessons were written to him. I only helped when he needed it which is the way he likes to learn.

Actually I combined this with Life of Fred because he was eager to move on into Algebra. This was when he was 9 and 10.

Well, I'm pretty strongly in favor of having kids memorize their facts. I absolutely wouldn't stop a mathy kid from moving forward conceptually, but I think that *not* having the facts down can make that *so* much more frustrating. So I would really encourage a very consistent 5-minute block of *focused* facts practice every single day, separate from the more fun, exciting math. Think of it like taking vitamins. It's not particularly fun, it's not enough on its own, but it's quick and easy to do and can help fill in the gaps in the more complete daily diet.

For ds, at first we did a skip-counting page (divided so that the 2s came first, with the 4s underneath, but spaced so that they fit under the same answers in the 2s rows, then 8s under that, spaced twice as far so they fit under the same answers; then a space and 3s, 6s, 9s [obviously the 6s and 9s don't line up all the time]; then 5s and 10s; then the poor 7s all alone), and once he could fill that in quickly and easily, I gave him a blank multiplication table to fill in each day. He could refer back to it over the course of the day, but had to make a new one each morning. I also added in drill sheets for all four operations made with (a previous version of) this program: http://www.schoolhousetech.com/BasicMath/

We did a lot of drill. But less than ten minutes a day, and usually less than 5.

And the rest of our day was more fun / challenging math. But I saw a *direct* relationship to how smoothly *that* went to whether or not we were putting in that five minutes of practice each morning.

There are people who disagree and don't think mathy kids need to spend time on drill. In my own experience? It's very helpful. I also found efficiency worked better for us than false attempts to make it "fun". Those just added more *time* to the endeavor. Blech. ;)

is life of fred approrpriate for a 7 year old?

I am hoping so -- my 6 year-old's co-op math teacher suggested it as something to begin with her soon.

ETA: Though we aren't starting with LoF Algebra -- is that the one you meant?

Edited by Jen in PA
clarification

ETA: Though we aren't starting with LoF Algebra -- is that the one you meant?
If so, I'd say it's probably OK, but you may wish to pre-read. Bad things happen to Fred... pets die, *he* almost dies after being essentially kidnapped by the army (that dreaded C.C Coalback again), and there are passing references to some fellow recruits getting drunk and destructive (in contrast to the moderation displayed by the pastor and his wife), and... I think in one of the later books, a rather bizarre passage in which a character tries to word a problem to Fred (I think it might be a Biblical reference) using light bulbs instead of virgins.

This is all pretty tongue in cheek, but I wouldn't give it to a sensitive literal minded 7yo. There's no similar issue in the Fractions, Decimals & Percents or Pre-algebra books.

Edited by nmoira
edited to add "sensitive"

My son is in 4th grade (9yo) this year and is doing Jacobs Algebra. He has always been way ahead of grade level, and he was ready to move past elementary math into Alg. We are working slowly at a good pace and plan to cover about half of the book by the end of our school year, but will probably continue through the summer and finish the book by Christmas (1.5 years total). It is great material, and the style of writing by Jacob's really appeals to my DS. He loves that every section begins with a B.C. cartoon or story that relates to the new topic. It has been a great choice for him. He usually does Algebra for about 90 min. a day, 4 days a week.

After Jacobs we may do Algebra again using AoPS to solidify his understanding because I want him to have a solid foundation before moving on... then we will do some of the other AoPs texts http://www.artofproblemsolving.com/Books/AoPS_B_Texts_Intro.php before moving on to the upper courses (Alg. 2, Trig, Calculus, etc). Again, we will just go at his pace and see how it goes.

Edited by babysparkler

Something you can also check out is Calculus without Tears. It's designed to start teaching the concepts from the 4th grade on up to college level. There are 5 books, the first of which is for the younger student.

I realize it's not algebra, but this is a really excellent intro to how to think about calculus, and it will actually help with those algebra concepts. My dd found it immensely helpful and enjoyed it's deceptively easy format.

Ava

hmmm..i'm finding a few things for jacob's algebra--could you link?

eta; i think i found the preview here. This looks wonderful!

It IS wonderful. We really love it.

Here is my breakdown of what you are seeing on the sample...

Their are 4 problem sets for each section:

• Set I is basically new material.

• Sets II and III include new and old material from the chapter and are pretty much identical to each other so you only need to do one unless there is difficulty, then you would have an extra set to give for additional practice.

• Set IV is a challenge problem that extends your mathematical thinking. My DS LOVES Set IV because it makes him THINK like he likes to think, and many times he refers back to those "fun" challenges.

Each chapter does a nice Summary and Review section, and includes another 4 problem sets for practice. The actual questions include a variety of styles & depth. As you can see from the sample on Google, some are word problems, some are drill-like math problems, some focus on knowing terminology, some are just plain difficult and make you think outside the box. The teaching section is mostly self explanatory, but I do sometimes pull out my TE for extra examples/dialogue. The answers for Set II are in the student textbook, but the other sets' answer keys are in the TE, so it is necessary. I also have the Test Masters Book. The tests are very well designed and match the style of the questioning in the textbook. They do cover different levels of reasoning/thinking within the test. The test answers are also included in the Test Master Book. I like that the book walks you through discovering the "whys" of the math through using examples, history, pictures, and logic.

Let me know if you have any questions :)

Edited by babysparkler

My dd wont touch Life of Fred. I loved it for my son...my dd has no interest in it. I have no clue why. If I had Chalkdust...I would use that with her...but I dont...and we wont be spending that much. I do have TT pre algebra and my dd has no problem picking up at any page and doing the lesson. She follows it very easy. There are tons of review questions and it is not too hard. She has been able to pick up at chapter 10 with her brother and do several pages without problems. (just for example)

I like that it has the cd in case she needs more understanding, but I cant comment on all the other programs. I have heard wonderful comments on many other programs. I plan on using TT next year with her.

Well, I think accuracy is both developmental and carelessness. I think the carelessness is caused by a lack of maturity. ;)

Yes, an occasional error happens all the time to everyone. The rate of errors has diminished with maturity for my dc.

The way I have seen it work is that if a child makes errors in, say 5% of the steps/calculations. . . that looks pretty good when they are doing 2nd grade math and so each "problem" is essentially a single calculation (23+56). They'd get 95% right on their exercise. Yay!!

But, when they are doing 5th grade math, each "problem" might involve 3 or 5 steps (calculations), so a 5% error rate per step would make it so the child missed more like 20% of the problems. Not so good, but still an 80% or a B, so you might not be too worked up about it. . .

But, with an Algebra problem that might involve 20, 30 or more individual steps or calculations (move this stuff over here, divide every term by this, expand the terms. . .), a 5% error rate would result in missing nearly every problem on the exercise. 0%. UGH. A 3% error rate would be better, but still total failire. A 1% error rate would result in an 80% (or so), not so bad. . . But to get a 90% A, you'd need better than 99% accuracy.

Stephanie, thanks for the explanation! It makes good sense to me.

It also reminded me of how I used to have to go back and go through my problems during exams to to make sure I didn't make any tiny mistakes along the way. :D