Menu

LCC'ers - especially slightly modified or relaxed

MyLittleWonders

I'm very much liking Campbell's Latin Centered Curriculum - it was just what I needed to read this week. Overall, I like his approach, though we use different curriculum than his recommendations (for instance, Miquon for math, Classical Academic Press publications for Latin). His scheduling though really speaks to me. I'm curious how others have implemented it, especially if you are a bit more relaxed. Dh and I decided a while ago (before reading LCC) that certain subjects needed depth and time, while others would be more breadth/survey in nature. But I still feel like I have more than I can fit. Oh, and I also believe in teaching English grammar *and* learning more about English grammar through the study of Latin grammar. (Oh, and I'm not sure we'll tackle Greek; I think we'll do Latin through high school, but also learn at least 2 modern languages before they start college.) Here's my dilemma, and I'm hoping for a little input.

Mornings: Latin, math, and "language arts" (grammar, copywork/composition, spelling, and eventually MCT materials)

Afternoons: Reading daily (even once they are fluent, I want them to read out loud to me for a few more years, and we aren't there yet). After that, though, I have more "electives" than I think I have days. ;)

-History (We are finishing SOTW vol. 2, and I've been debating moving on with ds#1 being 3rd, and ds#2 only being 1st. So I ordered CHOTW, and we are going to do that and then re-introduce SOTW vol. 3 at the appropriate time, I believe. Oh, and I do geography from simple Scholastic workbooks at this time orally.)

-Science (We have Singapore Science, MPH for ds#1, the EarlyBird for ds#2, and the PreK for ds#3 because he wants to do what his brothers do.)

-Spanish (I want to begin Elementary Spanish from Discovery Education; we will probably being a more formal program like Spanish for Children in 2 years.)

-Artist Study (This is built into ds#1's Classical Writing Primer, so I want to do this year; hopefully I'll continue it after as well as I think it is good for the boys and I; we usually look over and talk about the picture/art, and then sometimes try and draw it ourselves using techniques we are learning in our Meet the Master's class with our friends.)

-Religion/Bible Study (We are progressive Christians and I just ordered Bible Study for All Ages in hopes of having a nice framework for teaching the boys the Bible; if it doesn't work, then it's just reading and narrating straight from the Bible.)

-Nature Study (We did so well with N.S. once a week in the fall and then lost steam; I would like to rekindle it on Friday afternoons.)

-Literature (I really like Andrew Campbell's literature suggestions, at least for the younger years, and his reading schedule; my plan is to start with the 1st grade "schedule" and then go from there, as that will hit books that will be close to the interest/level of all boys, at least for now.)

Plus, I'm trying to schedule simple read alouds from chapter books (right now we are reading Homer Price after ds#1 had copywork/narration for it from WWE 3 - we do WWE 3 some weeks and CW others). We are not early birds, so school doesn't start until about 9:30. Our morning blocks end up being about 2 to 2 1/2 hours total (with a break inbetween), and our afternoon block is after lunch. Somehow I either need to eliminate elective subjects, school on the weekends, or really figure out how to fit it all without our afternoon block being more than 1 1/2 hours, including about 30 minutes of reading time (one older boy reads to me while the other older boy reads to ds#3 and then they switch). Any suggestions or ideas?

We're not morning people either and we don't start until 10am. This is our 2nd year with LCC and ds and I love the approach. We tweak for ds' needs and his love of science.

Once thing I took away from LCC is having your reading time outside of school time. Now I didn't tell my ds that for the first year and we just did the reading before we started with the other subjects. ;) My ds is a reluctant reader.

We also only do Latin, CW, and math four days a week. On the fifth day we have art or music, science, logic, reading, and something else that escapes my mind right now (long day).

I am continually evaluating my schedule and curriculum as I have a natural tendency to want to do more. I try to elminate redundant subjects and keep reading LCC.

I am also encouraged my many LCCers here and on the yahoo group that LCC will look different for each family. I consider it a framework not a box.

Can you rotate your science classes? Do Nature Study one week, Singapore the next?

We sometimes do Art while I'm reading some subject to ds, usually science.

Maybe combine two of the subject that take the least amount of time to do on the same day.

I'm very much liking Campbell's Latin Centered Curriculum - it was just what I needed to read this week.

It is certainly inspirational. :)

We are not early birds, so school doesn't start until about 9:30. Our morning blocks end up being about 2 to 2 1/2 hours total (with a break inbetween), and our afternoon block is after lunch. Somehow I either need to eliminate elective subjects, school on the weekends, or really figure out how to fit it all without our afternoon block being more than 1 1/2 hours, including about 30 minutes of reading time (one older boy reads to me while the other older boy reads to ds#3 and then they switch). Any suggestions or ideas?

For me LCC was an encouragement to figure out what is important to me and give it prominence in our day. If all of the things you listed are important to you, then you may just have to accept a longer school day. (Whether or not the readings are Ă¢â‚¬Å“outsideĂ¢â‚¬ school time is irrelevant to me, because it is still something that takes up time in the day).

HTH-

Mandy

After 4.5 yrs. of homeschool, I finally feel like I'm taking baby steps to where I want to be, largely due to the LCC book. We just committed to LCC this past January (my kids don't know that of course;)) and, I'll admit, I'm feeling more successful than ever just doing Latin, Math, Writing, and Grammar (we're part of CC) every day! Seriously, I feel awesome. I have committed for the first time. I feel like I finally "get it" and am happy that I have been consistent because I am a very non-consistent person.

I am meeting my goals slowly. For example, we've been doing our core subjects consistently (Yay, me!). Our baby step this week was getting dressed when we get up. Yes, we are pj people but I have decided I can't allow pjs at 3 p.m. anymore. It just ain't right. Next week, I hope to assign some chores and meal/snack schedules. If you have noticed that we haven't added in the extra subject, you would be right. I will get there. I will. I will but I have priorities. I have come a long way baby and I have to take it slow!

I'm sure most catch on to scheduling and consistency quicker than me but I've learned that if I get stuck in the planning and then I am paralyzed. I never carry it out. This whole process has caused one of my deepest struggles to be dealt with. I like things to happen quickly or I quit. Taking things slowly is hard for me. Adding things in as I go along has always been a "non-sense!" idea for me but it's keeping me moving. I like to see immediate results but, because of our progress over this past month, I think I might be conquering my "demon."

Prioritize and add as you go. It sounds like you have a much better grasp and follow through than me but I just wanted to put some encouragement out there for you and other while patting myself on the back:lol:

I just finished reading this book yesterday! I can see using some of the ideas. I'm a secular homeschooler, but I can see the point of adding Religion to our repertoire soon. Thinking of adding Geography... And of course, Latin. I am relieved not to have the pressure on science at least.

Anyway, I just got done reading this, now I have to absorb it in, mull it over and see how I'll use its ideas in a relaxed way. I know off the bat I won't be following the suggested curriculum/schedule exactly.

Can I pop my head in here and ask which version of the book I should buy? I want to read it SO badly, but I read somewhere that the 1st version (available now as an eBook only as far as I can tell) is better than the 2nd. Can you practicing LCCers point me in the right direction? A pm is fine too, so as not to hijack the thread! Thanks!!!:D

I have both editions and I feel like i'm very relaxed with our LCC schedule, we don't use the curriculum recommendations, our dailies are

Latin (older two)

Greek (younger two)

math

composition

we also do grammar once a week my older ones use Jensen's and my middler uses Harvey's. The rest of our schedule is a rotated block schedule. We do History one week, Science one week and literature one week. Art is done on Monday, music is one Wednesday, logic is done on Tues. and Thurs.. Right now we're doing Religion everyday because we're doing a devotional for 40 days.

I have both editions and I feel like i'm very relaxed with our LCC schedule, we don't use the curriculum recommendations, our dailies are

Latin (older two)

Greek (younger two)

math

composition

we also do grammar once a week my older ones use Jensen's and my middler uses Harvey's. The rest of our schedule is a rotated block schedule. We do History one week, Science one week and literature one week. Art is done on Monday, music is one Wednesday, logic is done on Tues. and Thurs.. Right now we're doing Religion everyday because we're doing a devotional for 40 days.

This sounds great! Thanks for sharing.

I also have both editions. Personally, I found the 1st edition to be better for me since I'm easily overwhelmed. But, the 2nd edition has more detail. I use both. :)Not much help am I?

Holy cow! MyLittleWonders, I could have written your post! I seem to struggle endlessly with my long list that I want to do but never actually accomplish all at once.

I read LCC (2nd ed.) and have been focusing on math and LA for now. Our days are broken up by driving dd to/from her charter school - it's been hard to find a good groove that works around that (w/o school lasting until 5-6 pm). Getting the basic priorities done is what's most important even though I still worry about all we're not doing.

And elfinbaby - WOW - I think we might have alot in common. I didn't know other people like me existed on this forum. This is my 5th yr hsing, although only my 2nd yr hsing classically w/ WTM, and I have yet to get it right. You are an inspiration to me - how's that for a pat on the back?

This sounds great! Thanks for sharing.

I also have both editions. Personally, I found the 1st edition to be better for me since I'm easily overwhelmed. But, the 2nd edition has more detail. I use both. :)Not much help am I?

I liked the 1st edition better also, because I felt like it gave you the ok to pick and choose your curriculum, but the example schedules are written better in the 2nd edition (at least I was better able to understand what he was trying to say). So, I sort of use them both too. How's that for not being much help :lol:

Can I pop my head in here and ask which version of the book I should buy? I want to read it SO badly, but I read somewhere that the 1st version (available now as an eBook only as far as I can tell) is better than the 2nd. Can you practicing LCCers point me in the right direction? A pm is fine too, so as not to hijack the thread! Thanks!!!:D

I have them both and use them both. The 2nd edition contains a very helpful on how to start LCC in the middle. I think the 1st edition helped me understand the philosophy more and the 2nd edition helped me implement it. For myself we follow the schedule in the 2nd edition.

After 4.5 yrs. of homeschool, I finally feel like I'm taking baby steps to where I want to be, largely due to the LCC book. We just committed to LCC this past January (my kids don't know that of course;)) and, I'll admit, I'm feeling more successful than ever just doing Latin, Math, Writing, and Grammar (we're part of CC) every day! Seriously, I feel awesome. I have committed for the first time. I feel like I finally "get it" and am happy that I have been consistent because I am a very non-consistent person.

I am meeting my goals slowly. For example, we've been doing our core subjects consistently (Yay, me!). Our baby step this week was getting dressed when we get up. Yes, we are pj people but I have decided I can't allow pjs at 3 p.m. anymore. It just ain't right. Next week, I hope to assign some chores and meal/snack schedules. If you have noticed that we haven't added in the extra subject, you would be right. I will get there. I will. I will but I have priorities. I have come a long way baby and I have to take it slow!

I'm sure most catch on to scheduling and consistency quicker than me but I've learned that if I get stuck in the planning and then I am paralyzed. I never carry it out. This whole process has caused one of my deepest struggles to be dealt with. I like things to happen quickly or I quit. Taking things slowly is hard for me. Adding things in as I go along has always been a "non-sense!" idea for me but it's keeping me moving. I like to see immediate results but, because of our progress over this past month, I think I might be conquering my "demon."

Prioritize and add as you go. It sounds like you have a much better grasp and follow through than me but I just wanted to put some encouragement out there for you and other while patting myself on the back:lol:

Are you my twin? Seriously, I am exactly the same way. I just finished LCC 2nd, and am currently working through LCC 1st. Of course, I am in the "paralyzed by planning" mode," but I may try what you are doing and take it one step at a time. Thanks!

We also only do Latin, CW, and math four days a week. On the fifth day we have art or music, science, logic, reading, and something else that escapes my mind right now (long day).

I am continually evaluating my schedule and curriculum as I have a natural tendency to want to do more. I try to elminate redundant subjects and keep reading LCC.

I am also encouraged my many LCCers here and on the yahoo group that LCC will look different for each family. I consider it a framework not a box.

Can you rotate your science classes? Do Nature Study one week, Singapore the next?

Maybe combine two of the subject that take the least amount of time to do on the same day.

Great ideas - even just having someone else mention rotating science/nature study or piggy-backing shorter subjects makes me feel like I can do that. :) I definitely think art and religion can be done on the same day as each should only take about 20 minutes. Alternating weeks with science and nature study is brilliant! If I even get to science 2x a month and nature study 2x a month, it'll be a lot more consistent than it ever has been. :blushing:

It is certainly inspirational. :)

For me LCC was an encouragement to figure out what is important to me and give it prominence in our day. If all of the things you listed are important to you, then you may just have to accept a longer school day. (Whether or not the readings are Ă¢â‚¬Å“outsideĂ¢â‚¬ school time is irrelevant to me, because it is still something that takes up time in the day).

HTH-

Mandy

Definitely food for thought. To me, the biggest priorities are Latin, math, and language arts (I don't like that term, but it seems to be the best that describes: spelling, grammar, copywork/composition, and phonics/reading). Now I just need to figure out how much priority to give the rest.

I have never been terribly consistent either. This past fall has been the most consistent I have ever been. I thank you for the reminder to take small steps - if we can consistently get our morning blocks done (Latin, math, and "language arts"), then we will be accomplishing a lot.

Thank you for the links! I didn't see your post this morning because I still had my reply window open from last night. (I was replying, got distracted by bedtime for the kids, and then sat and read. I realized this morning I had never sent my reply!) I'm going to read through them this afternoon.

Holy cow! MyLittleWonders, I could have written your post! I seem to struggle endlessly with my long list that I want to do but never actually accomplish all at once.

I read LCC (2nd ed.) and have been focusing on math and LA for now. Our days are broken up by driving dd to/from her charter school - it's been hard to find a good groove that works around that (w/o school lasting until 5-6 pm). Getting the basic priorities done is what's most important even though I still worry about all we're not doing.

And elfinbaby - WOW - I think we might have alot in common. I didn't know other people like me existed on this forum. This is my 5th yr hsing, although only my 2nd yr hsing classically w/ WTM, and I have yet to get it right. You are an inspiration to me - how's that for a pat on the back?

This is our third year hs'ing, techincally (according to our report-age here), but I actually started K with my oldest based on WTM. We were going to focus on phonics, pre-history (dinosaurs, early man, etc.) and a lot of reading. Then I diverged from the classical/neoclassical path and it took until the end of 2nd grade (last spring) to get back. I realized it was where we needed to be the entire time and sometimes kick myself for getting us so distracted. But, we are here now and it is what works for us. I am very glad I finally bought the LCC - it is just what I need, though the first link that PollyOR linked above sounds like me - how to keep LCC from becoming LCC plus everything else! :tongue_smilie:

Here's how we do it:

How we do LCC

Our essential daily subjects are math, grammar, word roots, latin, writing, and music. For Greek, we went through Hey Andrew (halfway through book 3) over the past two years. We are currently taking a break from Greek as we focus in on more seriously memorizing the latin grammar and vocabulary that our past study (we used Lively Latin I) introduced us to. We are currently using Latina Christiana, The Book of Roots, and Ludere Latina for latin. We will resume Greek in a year or two, using Elementary Greek.

My son is not a morning person. During breakfast, he reads, usually science and history (about 10-15 minutes each). This is followed by 15-40 minutes of fiction reading.

Starting around 10:00, we do math (Saxon 7/6), grammar (Saxon Grammar grade 5), word roots (The Book of Roots), and either latin word games (Ludere Latina), latin quizzes, or the next lesson in Latina Christiana. This takes us until about 12:15 or 12:30.

(We started the school year with Junior Analytical Grammar, then switched to Saxon. We are about 3/4 way through Saxon Grammar - when we complete it, we'll pick up Junior analytical grammar again and breeze through the rest of it, mostly just doing the diagramming.)

For an hour we take a lunch break, during which my son watches educational videos. Two days a week he watches science videos, two other days, he watches history videos, and on Friday he watches fiction/literature videos (we are currently watching Shelley Duvall's Faerie Tale Theater on Fridays). If we can find art videos that are not too boring, we watch those occasionally, as well.

In the afternoon, we start with writing. This takes us to about 2:00 or 2:15. We are currently alternating between IEW's Medieval History-based Writing Lessons and Imitation in Writing: Medieval Legends. Next year (6th grade), we plan to resume CW, using Homer A and Poetry for Beginners.

Then we have a rotation: two days he does history (currently doing MP's Famous Men of Greece, with the study guide); two other days he does science (currently using John Tiner's books, which have a chapter followed by questions). This takes us to about 2:40 or 2:50.

For the remaining time (usually about 20 minutes), we continue rotating. Once or twice a week we do poetry (currently using Imitation in Writing: Poetry Primer). A few times a week, he'll just read for the remaining time. Once a week or so he watches a music appreciation video for 20 minutes (we are currently working through Leonard Bernstein's Young People's Concerts). Once a week I fill in the remaining time with either an analogies workbook (went through Think Analogies A and B, currently using Advancing Through Analogies) or a logic workbook (currently using Logic Safari).

After school, my son reads while we drive to his various activities (karate, yoga, soccer, piano lessons, etc.). He plays with friends in the neighborhood, schedules permitting.

In the evening, my son practices his piano (15-20 minute) and does any music theory homework he may have (if he has any, it only takes about 15 minutes, one evening). One or two evenings a week we read poetry aloud for 10 minutes or so; he is always working on memorizing one poem. Our current favorite poetry anthology is Mary Burt's Poems Every Child Should Know. Once or twice a week, we'll spend 5-10 minutes reviewing latin vocabulary flashcards. One or two evenings a week he watches an educational video (1/2 hour) or does something chess-related on the computer. Friday is family night and we may go out to a movie or watch one at home. He likes to relax by playing video games and watching others play video games on youtube. If he's been doing the video game thing for too long (over an hour or so), I have him take a break for one of the activities I already listed, or have him watch some entertainment tv show on dvd (we don't actually watch any tv). This might include Bullwinkle, Get Smart, Animaniacs, Pinky and the Brain, etc. If he has not yet done any evening fiction reading (usually done traveling to activities), he does that in the evenings as well.

Our local museums offer homeschool classes that usually kill about half the day, including travel. On those days, we try to do our morning subjects before the museum activity. Sometimes we donĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t get it all done. But my son gets a bunch of reading done traveling to and from the activity. These are either hands-on art workshops (Museum of Art) or nature/science (Museum of Natural History).

Each weekend day my son practices piano and reads for an hour. He takes a chess class on Sunday. He has sports activities and occasional educational or art-related workshops on weekends as well. He also gets time to play with friends, his cousins, and his video games, schedule permitting.

From time to time we play board games. These often involve spelling, vocabulary, math, and logic. For music appreciation, we listen to music, go to concerts, read library books about composers, and watch educational videos. Hands-on art activities are covered by taking classes at the museums. For art appreciation, we visit museums, read books, and watch educational videos.

Each year, we read at least one narrative overview of world history. (3rd grade was SOTW, 4th was CHOW, this year we read History of Our World: People, Places, and Ideas, and we may soon read Gombrich.) We are almost always in the middle of at least two history books, one on American history, one on world history. We are also usually reading something about ancient Greece and Rome, either history, famous people, or myths. We mix in books about art and artists as well.

We do a relaxed version of LCC.

I have 2 in high school and they follow a traditonal every subject everyday type schedule. I also have a pk,5,8 graders.

Every morning the grade schoolers do Grammar/writing (rod and staff), Math (LOF- saxon combo), Latin, Literature Our afternoons are on this schedule:

Mon- SOTW (modern)

Tue- Apologia Science Zoology 3

Wed- Around the world in 180 days (geography)

Thur- Catachism

Fri- Music/Art

It is so inspiring to me to hear that someone else has struggled and managed to get to a good place! It seems like this comes so naturally to so many others, and it just isn't that easy for me to decide and actually make it happen consistently!

:grouphug: to everybody getting on track. LCC really spoke to me and I credit the book with helping me see the forest while I picked at the bark on the trees (and used it to make thousands of lists and schedules). I also feel an odd sense of accountability now that I'm an "inspiration":lol: I guess we can't take the day off after all:D

Onwards and upwards! I've met my no pj rule thus far which was harder than you think. Next, I shall tackle chores or rotating subjects... I need to do some planning over the weekend;)

We're using LCC, more or less. More, in that I've put more science in our curriculum. We won't be doing Greek, though we will be doing Latin for the forseeable future and I'll add Spanish in 3rd grade. I made my own math choice, ditto Latin curriculum, and we're doing Heathen Studies not Christian studies, so we'll be substituting J-C myths (aka Bible Stories) in place of Norse myths (AKA our sacred lore) in 3rd grade.

I also don't have the 2nd edition. Haven't felt a need for it, since we like the 1st ed.

I joke that I have one foot firmly planted in the classical camp and the other foot in the 'unschooling' camp. ;)

I have OCD tendencies and was driving myself crazy trying to figure out how to balance everything, yet let my curious DS explore and learn on his own. I ordered the 2nd edition of LCC when it first came out and read through it several times before deciding it was exactly what we needed. I later borrowed the 1st edition from a friend and read it through several times. I like the 2nd edition better, but probably because it was the one I read first and really connected with.

I don't use all of the LCC recommendations, but use it as a framework and a way to simplify MY life while giving DS time to go off and study what he wants. (DS is 8. We are currently in 'Year 3' of LCC.)

Latin - We started with Minimus when DS was in 1st grade. We are working our way through the second book now. I'm not sure where we will go from here.

Greek - We started Greek last fall, as DS saw a program he wanted.

Math - We had started with The Critical Thinking Company. DS loves it and is doing well with the program, so I didn't want to switch. I do supplement with "Key to..." and Evan-Moor workbooks.

Memory - We devote 15 minutes or so a day to memorizing and reciting poetry.

That is the 'core' of our curriculum. (I schedule Greek for M-T-W and Latin for W-Th-F.)

I use the LCC guideline for history and literature.

I *have* to do grammar. I was a copy editor in a former life and just can't *not* do grammar. We use MCT for LA. :D And I had already bought IEW's All Things Fun and Fantastic before discovering MCT, so we are currently using that for writing. I am not sure where we will go with writing from here.

And we have to do science and geography! DS adores both of those subjects. We just finished BFSU for science and will soon start chemistry. Currently, DS is using Geography Songs on his own time. In the past DS has used the workbooks from Modern Curriculum Press for geography.

We school year-round, off and on. I am very, very relaxed with our schedule. We take days off whenever something "funner" comes along. ;) Even though we are relaxed and I don't plan too far in advance, we still got in 190 days of school last year.

We go on a lot of field trips - 40+ last school year alone.

Ex: There was a museum exhibit recently on George Washington Carver. We read a book about him, went to the exhibit, came home and read another book. DS learned a lot, had fun - and it didn't take time away from our regular school work.

This is also how I work in all the other books I want to read... I look over the yearly schedule for several theaters in the area, then plan our bedtime reading around that. This year we are reading The Secret Garden, Narnia and Peter Pan (to name a few) then we will see the plays.

We also take advantage of educational offerings throughout our community. (Live in a large urban area.) DS takes classes at a local art gallery, nature classes a local nature center, etc.

We school from 9 a.m. - 11/11:30 a.m. M-W-F and 9 a.m. - 1 or 2 p.m. on T-Th.

Monday and Wednesday, DS has outside classes in the afternoon. (Zoology, art, music)

That leaves DS with plenty of time to play, explore, read, watch educational videos, etc.

One big difference for us is that neither one of us likes a rotating weekly schedule. If we read a book, we want to read it a chapter a day, not a chapter a week. So I tend to do 'blocks' of study -- do a month or two of history, then spend a month on literature, etc.

Well, I bought the eBook of the 1st edition from MP. I also bought Child's History of the World to start on Monday. I'm pretty excited about taking a step back in history (I was really concerned about moving into Early Modern and Modern Times with my kids being young - I didn't want to do 2 different history curriculums). So, I think I'm turning into a LCC who doesn't drop English grammar, and who has a few more electives than days in the week. ;) I appreciate all the comments here ... it's nice to "see" how others take the LCC ideas and make it fit their families. I get bogged down with having to go all or nothing, and tend to forget that there can be some gray area in between. (Ironically, I get bugged with dh for being so black and white while conveniently forgetting that I can be the same way myself!) I feel liberated with the scheduling; I think it will be the biggest blessing in our hs'ing days. :D But, I still want to work on streamlining the non-core subjects (history/geography, science, Spanish [which I think needs 2x a week at least], religion, art, nature study, and literature). I think scheduling L/A for four days a week will help me use Friday as elective day for a couple of those subjects.

Suzanne - I've debated block scheduling for a while now. I'm wondering if that might work better for us for some of our electives.

I am ridiculously all or nothing. It definitely works against me at times.

Every day is a challenge for me, esp. when dh is out of town for long stretches like this week. I'm so tired I want to take the whole day off. LCC really keeps me on track.

On a side note (and I think this is from SWB's WTM), a good way to look at history is filling our children's minds w/stories. When I think about that idea, it's less stressful. Stories. They need to hear all kinds of stories about the past. They may not be in perfect order or in a perfect 4 yr. cycle. They may jump around sometimes. I'm okay with that now. I figure if I can get my timeline going and placing my stories, order will come. Plus, we do cycle our history but a good homemade timeline is going to bring it all together.

Love this thread btw. I'm missing the LCC site that used to be up.

Also, I'm not giving up my English grammar just yet either. It might work out that way for dd, who will have experienced LCC from the beginning but not for ds, who is all ready in 5th.

I am ridiculously all or nothing. It definitely works against me at times.

Every day is a challenge for me, esp. when dh is out of town for long stretches like this week. I'm so tired I want to take the whole day off. LCC really keeps me on track.

On a side note (and I think this is from SWB's WTM), a good way to look at history is filling our children's minds w/stories. When I think about that idea, it's less stressful. Stories. They need to hear all kinds of stories about the past. They may not be in perfect order or in a perfect 4 yr. cycle. They may jump around sometimes. I'm okay with that now. I figure if I can get my timeline going and placing my stories, order will come. Plus, we do cycle our history but a good homemade timeline is going to bring it all together.

Love this thread btw. I'm missing the LCC site that used to be up.

Also, I'm not giving up my English grammar just yet either. It might work out that way for dd, who will have experienced LCC from the beginning but not for ds, who is all ready in 5th.

How did you make your timeline? Reading the introduction to CHoTW made me want to make some type of timeline or their "staircase" idea. My boys love visuals, and I love your idea of placing your stories on the timeline, even if you read them out of order.

Well, my timeline is theoretical right now;) I'm the baby step person, remeber:) I'm envisioning a timeline with index size cards to place so we can shuffle them around as need be. Doesn't SOTW have timeline cards or is that MOH? That's what I'm envisioning.

Our homeschooling room is a loft, which means we have a wall on ONE side which is where the bookshelf is. Lack of wall space is my biggest timeline challenge right now. I'm thinking I'll hang some twine above my banisters and use cards. My timeline has to be shuffle-able:D We have info coming in from different books, time periods, Classical Conversations, VP timeline cards, etc. So, as of now, I'm trying to figure a way to string some twine on the outskirts of my loft and use index size cards to clip my history pegs to it. Maybe small clothespins for clips. Hmmmm, dh may need to get started on this tomorrow:tongue_smilie: I'm getting all excited!

I thought I'd pitch in and tell about our timeline. It's a clothesline strung across the wall. We're using the book How Children Lived for history. Each week, we read about a different child, sometimes read or do something related to the culture described, and make an index card to hang on the timeline. At the very beginning, DD did a card for herself, so it's at the very end to provide her a sense of her place in things. It's just right, imo, for first grade. We'll probably do something equally visual but a little more detailed next year.

The clothesline sounds so cool!

Hannahs hs help has a stair step timeline I think with pictures too. I keep meaning to try it out- maybe today!

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Hannah_hs_helps/

We just started block scheduling and I like it so much better!! It actually feels like we are getting things done. It is nice to hear others do it that way also....I worry about doing things "wrong" lol

:bigear:

This thread is so helpful. I've been skimming (not fully reading yet) the first edition. We are CM ers and have been mainly doing Ambleside this year. I've been trying to figure out how to incorporate LCC or to change over or if it's really even that different than what we have been doing.......

Listening and learning here.....

woolybear

How many of you follow a multi-stream approach to history (Classical and Modern studies concurrently) and how many follow a history cycle closer to TWTM?

I've only read the 1st edition. The first day or 2 after I read it, the multi-stream approach seemed like a lot to keep up with. But, after thinking about it more, I'm actually considering it.

Also, do you read aloud to your kids or with your kids their literature as suggested? How much time per day? The lit recs only have 2-3 books per year, so does that only amount to 10-15 min of reading per day? I'm wondering because I have a lot of kiddos. :)

Thanks!!

How many of you follow a multi-stream approach to history (Classical and Modern studies concurrently) and how many follow a history cycle closer to TWTM?

I've only read the 1st edition. The first day or 2 after I read it, the multi-stream approach seemed like a lot to keep up with. But, after thinking about it more, I'm actually considering it.

Also, do you read aloud to your kids or with your kids their literature as suggested? How much time per day? The lit recs only have 2-3 books per year, so does that only amount to 10-15 min of reading per day? I'm wondering because I have a lot of kiddos. :)

Thanks!!

I've only read LCC 2nd ed. (thank you, public libarary!). In it, Drew explains that the multiple streams of history turned out to not be for everyone, so now he recommends one long, slow chronological stream from 1st to middle school. I don't think there's any "wrong" way to do it. Whatever works best, what you have time for, whatever you prefer - do that. I started out w/ WTM and only recently read LCC, so both the long slow progression and the multi-streaming history feel wonky to me. Even though we skipped the middle ages to jump to "American wars", which my boys couldn't wait for. :tongue_smilie:

ETA: I meant to tell you that the 2nd ed. has much more detailed info. that would probably answer your question about lit. reading time. It has schedules laid out with when to read which books when, right down to the week (ex. week 1 - pages/chapter(s) x - xx of XYZ book). Sorry I can't answer more specifically - I don't have the book in-hand anymore. :(

Edited by Annabel Lee

We have been following the basic WTM approach to history (we have taken 3 years to do 2 "years" of history), and I am going to basically stay with it, though we are starting over again with A Child's History of the World. But, before I read LCC last week, I was finishing up Medieval Times and planning the beginning of Early Modern, and my boys started watching Liberty's Kids and are now pretty interested in the American Revolution. So, we're going to keep with that time period while also going back to the beginning. I agree with the approach of WTM to history - and I believe that it makes so much more sense when you can see the whole picture. But, since the beginning, I knew we wouldn't get through history three times by the end of 12th grade.

I've only read LCC 2nd ed. (thank you, public libarary!). In it, Drew explains that the multiple streams of history turned out to not be for everyone, so now he recommends one long, slow chronological stream from 1st to middle school. I don't think there's any "wrong" way to do it. Whatever works best, what you have time for, whatever you prefer - do that. I started out w/ WTM and only recently read LCC, so both the long slow progression and the multi-streaming history feel wonky to me. Even though we skipped the middle ages to jump to "American wars", which my boys couldn't wait for. :tongue_smilie:

ETA: I meant to tell you that the 2nd ed. has much more detailed info. that would probably answer your question about lit. reading time. It has schedules laid out with when to read which books when, right down to the week (ex. week 1 - pages/chapter(s) x - xx of XYZ book). Sorry I can't answer more specifically - I don't have the book in-hand anymore. :(

Thanks! I'm hoping to buy the 2nd edition soon. Our library is terrible, so they don't have either one!

Well, my timeline is theoretical right now;) I'm the baby step person, remeber:) I'm envisioning a timeline with index size cards to place so we can shuffle them around as need be. Doesn't SOTW have timeline cards or is that MOH? That's what I'm envisioning.

Our homeschooling room is a loft, which means we have a wall on ONE side which is where the bookshelf is. Lack of wall space is my biggest timeline challenge right now. I'm thinking I'll hang some twine above my banisters and use cards. My timeline has to be shuffle-able:D We have info coming in from different books, time periods, Classical Conversations, VP timeline cards, etc. So, as of now, I'm trying to figure a way to string some twine on the outskirts of my loft and use index size cards to clip my history pegs to it. Maybe small clothespins for clips. Hmmmm, dh may need to get started on this tomorrow:tongue_smilie: I'm getting all excited!

Ok, whatever you do, I would love to see it! I love the sounds of it. :) We hs in the dining room and have limited wall space as well (it's an open dining room to the kitchen, etc. and the main wall has a chalkboard on it already). I'm off to google timelines and homeschooling.

I have been looking for timeline ideas for what seems like forever now! I found these two pictures on Flickr and it sounds exactly like what you described, elfinbaby. I think I need to just jump in with both feet and stop diddle daddling around trying to find that perfect timeline. This really seems like a great idea... very visual, can be hands on, doesn't take up a lot of wall space, and the kids (or mom) can get as detailed as he/she feels like just by taping two (or three or four) index cards together. :thumbup1:

timeline

hanging timeline

Edited by MangoMama
forgot the links... duh!

• 2 months later...
I have been looking for timeline ideas for what seems like forever now! I found these two pictures on Flickr and it sounds exactly like what you described, elfinbaby. I think I need to just jump in with both feet and stop diddle daddling around trying to find that perfect timeline. This really seems like a great idea... very visual, can be hands on, doesn't take up a lot of wall space, and the kids (or mom) can get as detailed as he/she feels like just by taping two (or three or four) index cards together. :thumbup1:

timeline

hanging timeline

Thanks for sharing these! I love the hanging timeline! It will work perfectly for us.

Mary in CO

We might be a bad LCC model for you, as we never manage to get to formal science. We do plenty of informal science, though, as we're all very interested in science and read and think about it as just a matter of course.

I have two older kids, and two younger kids. For the younger kids, we start around 10 or 10:30 every morning. They are grades 2 and 3. Perhaps their schedule doesn't look very LCC yet - they only do Latin at co-op, and it's just Song School Latin. Every morning we do math (Right Start and Singapore), grammar (First Language Lessons), writing (Writing With Ease), spelling (All About Spelling). Often we don't get to all those things every day.

Then I read - we are reading SOTW 1, Black Ships Before Troy, The Wanderings of Odysseus, D'Aulaire's Greek Myths (again, by request). When we can fit it in, we do drawing, composer study, art appreciation. They have a geography class and a science class at co-op, along with Classical Studies.

We're done with their academic seatwork by noon, most days.

My older boys manage their own schedule. Each day they read history and/or literature. They work on their math, Latin, Greek, Classical Writing, mainly on their own. Then we discuss their work. The have Latin and Greek classes once a week at co-op, as well, as drama, humanities, and science.

So our schedule is very fluid, and my older children are very independent.

We do stick to a four-year cycle for history, although that might change this year.

I don't think either LCC1 or LCC2 is "better" than the other (I have both). They're just different flavors.

I think we might be unschooling LCC's at this point We do WWE/copy work and some kind of math about 4 days a week. We do Greek one day a week and Latin 3x. And that's it. The literature/history happens through read alouds that may or may not follow the order LCC recommends. We do both streams of history. We do Bible/Religion one day a week; and history 2 other days. We unschool science completely. On Fridays we have a socratic discussion/art/art history with a couple of other families and then some kind of PE.

I like the 1st ed of LCC the best. It's for Type B folks like me. The 2nd ed is more Type A!!!!

I've continued to work on our schedule. I still feel I have a few too many electives, but I'm working on it. For now, I'm doing a four-day week with our "core" - Latin, Math, Spelling, Writing, Grammar (yes, we do English grammar - it's a sticking point for me), and Reading/Phonics. In the afternoons, we switch between world history (SOTW and CHOTW), geography (we're trying the Evan-Moor continent units and just modifying for their ages - this is going well so far), science (I've decided just to do Singapore MPH 3/4 for both ds#1 and ds#2, with ds#3 listening), and US history (picture books and Liberty's Kids for now as an introduction).

Things change on Fridays. Some weeks we don't do much of anything on Fridays except reading/phonics. But, for days that we do not have errands to tend to or anything else, we do Latin (usually memory with our vocabulary), Math/Logic (I bought Building Thinking Skills for them), Literature (I bought Storytime Treasures and First Favorites, hoping to aim something we do more at ds#2 and ds#3 since they usually are along for the ride with ds#1), nature study (we are wrapping up birds and then will probably focus on mammals), and if we can Spanish and religion. We enjoy Elementary Spanish on Discovery Streaming, so we do it 1x a week (there is not time at this point to do it 2-3x a week). And, I'm trying to get us through Bible Study Guide for all Ages. I'm thinking of moving this to Sundays as we don't typically go to church, but it hasn't worked yet with our baseball schedule. Our Friday "core" is Latin, math/logic, literature (which includes copywork and narration), and nature study. The Spanish and Bible study are icing on the cake.

So, M-Th, we look pretty LCC (except for English grammar! ;) ); Friday is a bit more loose, but includes some fun stuff we wouldn't have time for if we went 5 days LCC.

I forgot to mention - we do the four day a week core courses, too. Friday used to be our art/music/science day, but now it's co-op day :)

I think you look pretty good, there, with this schedule. As for having too many electives ... what I do is I identify my core courses (for my older kids, that's math, Latin and writing; for the youngers, it's math and writing/phonics; for all it's quality reading). The core courses are the **most important** part of your homeschool. If I successfully get our core courses done, the rest is gravy. If all we do is the core courses, my kids will still have a good education.

So from there, we add on, priority by priority. If we have to scale back, again, we do it priority by priority.