Menu

Homemade applesauce?

Does anyone here make homemade applesauce? In the crockpot or on the stove? I'm interested in trying it out but don't really know where to get started. What type of apples do you use? Do you make a bunch and store it somehow?

Thanks!

We make applesauce every Fall. I will typically use Gravensteins. You really can make it with any apple besides Granny Smith. The GS's are too tart.

Do you have a sieve/grinder attachment on a Kitchenaid? If yes, just quarter the apples and toss in a pan on the stove. Add about 1-2 cups water and simmer until softened. Run through sieve, seeds and all. Then either freeze it or can it.

If no sieve, peel, core, and de-seed apples, chop up and toss in pan, add water. Then mash as best you can to get to a thin consistency. Freeze or can.

I do not add sweetener. The kids will typically ask for a bit of cinnamon when they eat it.

We make applesauce every Fall. I will typically use Gravensteins. You really can make it with any apple besides Granny Smith. The GS's are too tart.

Do you have a sieve/grinder attachment on a Kitchenaid? If yes, just quarter the apples and toss in a pan on the stove. Add about 1-2 cups water and simmer until softened. Run through sieve, seeds and all. Then either freeze it or can it.

If no sieve, peel, core, and de-seed apples, chop up and toss in pan, add water. Then mash as best you can to get to a thin consistency. Freeze or can.

I do not add sweetener. The kids will typically ask for a bit of cinnamon when they eat it.

I do this as well (peel, core, de-seed, cook). I do use Granny Smiths though--I love the flavor.

Sometimes I add brown sugar. Often not.

I do this all the time.

Peel, seed, dice, and throw into a big pot. Add some water (I don't even measure but never very much). Put a lid on it and cook.

You can cook it just until tender and your kids will think it is apple pie filling or you can cook it until you can mash it and make applesauce.

I usually just make enough to fill a quart jar, throw it in the fridge, and it's gone in a day or two. The kids eat it yogurt, applesauce, graham crackers, cream, etc.

I never add sugar.

I've done it. I used McIntosh and Golden Delicious, because I got a large amount at one time. I put the extra in the freezer. It seemed to be normal enough when thawed. ;)

If you want a picture book, I can say that "Applesauce Season" is kind of cute. One of my kids is a very enthusiastic applesauce fan and enjoyed it.

I do this all the time.

Peel, seed, dice, and throw into a big pot. Add some water (I don't even measure but never very much). Put a lid on it and cook.

You can cook it just until tender and your kids will think it is apple pie filling or you can cook it until you can mash it and make applesauce.

I usually just make enough to fill a quart jar, throw it in the fridge, and it's gone in a day or two. The kids eat it yogurt, applesauce, graham crackers, cream, etc.

I never add sugar.

Yes to all of this.

Ds and I made this a couple months ago. We used the old-style applesauce masher thing. It was great fun. So much sweeter than we expected, didn't even need sugar.

We were able to freeze some small pint containers that have kept well.

We used a healthy mix of orchard apples.

I've used several types of apples but we like tart ones the best. I peel, slice and cook in a small amount of water in a big pot. It cooks down so much on its own I've never had to mash it. Sometimes its smooth, sometimes chunky. I don't add any sweetener. A few times I used apple juice instead of water and it didn't make much of a difference in the taste. I freeze mine in quart size bags.

I've never made it myself' date=' although this thread is making me think about it! I just have to add that my g-ma used to make it and freeze it- we would eat it still half-frozen. It was sooooooo good that way![/quote']

I remember watching my grandmother make it too. Yum.

For some reason, I thought it was a lot harder than it turned out to be! :lol:

Y-U-M.

I peel and core, then bake the apples in a large oven-safe pot. (No stirring!) Then I throw them in the food processor. We like smooth applesauce.

No sugar, just apples. My children requested a batch of blueberry applesauce, so I threw some blueberries into the blender with a small batch. It was fantastic. I think I'll make enough next year to can a few jars, it was so good.

You can freeze or can the applesauce.

It is cheapest to make several batches in the fall during apple season, especially if you can get out to pick your own. And of course the fresher the apples, the better the applesauce will taste.

I followed the advice of the lady at the apple orchard this year, and made my applesauce with a variety of apples. She said using 2-3 (or more) varieties would give a richer flavor, and oh boy! was she right. De-lish! Our favorite batch had (I think) Gala, Braeburn, a variety similar to a Golden Delicious and a couple Granny Smith thrown in for good measure.

Store applesauce will never taste good again! ;)

Cat

Nothing much new to add.... but i have to agree about the fresh picked.. this year we picked our own and made applesauce with a variety. It was delicious. I've done the oven roasting method and the stovetop... turns out good both ways. I run mine through my grandma's foodmill. There are probably faster ways to do it, but it's nostalgic and fun :)

I freeze the applesauce and i can it too. Oh and we add cinnamon to ours. Sugar only if the apples were particularly tart.

I wash the apples but do not peel or core them. I do quarter them and remove the stem. I cook them in a huge pot with a little water until they are soft then put them through a food mill or something similar, and then can in a water bath. I think the skins add flavor while they are cooking.