Menu

Just saw Mama Mia-favorite musicals you've seen live?

We recently saw In The Heights for DH's birthday (he was born and raised in Washington Heights, in upper Manhattan), and it was A-MAZING! I didn't expect to like it, since I'm not big on musical theatre, but I loved loved loved it. I bought him the original cast recording for Christmas and we've been rocking out to it almost every day since :D I highly recommend it, though I think some of the nuances will be lost in translation if you don't speak Spanish and/or know the Latino culture. But since it won the Tony in 2008 (I think, maybe 2007), it can't lose too much! It's still playing to packed houses too.

Oh, I also saw and loved Blood Brothers on Broadway years ago. I bet it's even better in London (though my version DID have both Shaun and David Cassidy :D, which makes it hard to beat :lol:).

Of Miss Saigon, Phantom and Les Mis, Miss Saigon was my favorite.

Rent was wonderful.

Dh and I saw Rock of Ages on Tuesday. There is nothing cooler than having waiters bring you beer while Constantine sings to you, four rows away. :D

I've seen a few others that were just okay, but the above are at the top of my list.

Several musicals I've seen live and really enjoyed:

Les Mis

Phantom of the Opera

Cats

The Lion King (the costuming was staggering; the music less so in my opinion)

Rent

Mamma Mia

Spamalot

Spring Awakening (this one is definitely not for someone who is conservative)

Regards,

Kareni

Billy Elliot, but more for the dancing and the story than for the music. Our "Billy" (there are five or six of them right now doing the show) was a good dancer, but his singing voice was just average. Or perhaps he was going through puberty? I had heard Elton John singing the ballad from the show "I'm Free," and it was kind of a let-down to hear this kid more or less talk his way through it. But his dad and his grandma were worth the price of the ticket.

The language will make you blush, though. :eek:

And why, oh why, did they have to bring up the matter of Billy's sexuality (whether he prefers boys or girls) when he is only 10? I guess because Elton John wrote the music and his husband was the executive producer, but still....he's 10 (and then 11) in the story. Let it go!

Gee, you all will flock to this musical now, won't you? :tongue_smilie: I did like it. I've wanted to see it ever since I saw those boys win the Tony award for best actor in a musical.

Edited by buddhabelly
I called it a movie. But I saw it live, on Broadway in NY!

Les Mis was my absolute favorite. I recently saw Fiddler on the Roof with Topol (he's the actor in the movie version) and it was absolutely amazing!!!! We're seeing The Lion King next month, and the kids are so excited! We watched a tiny clip of it online today and they were blown away by the costumes :001_smile:

Did your 5 year old like it? I've been wanting to find a show to take my 5 yo to and that's coming to my town next month, I think.

Whoops-he just turned 6!! Anyway, he did love it, because he knows all of the songs. That's the key, I think. It was pretty long, but I think they did really well. Luckily, I don't think they "got" the whole storyline. I was waiting for the questions, but didn't get any.

I love musicals of any shape or size!!! I've been blessed to see so many live ones, thanks to cheap summer musicals tickets in Dallas when I was younger (not kidding--$7/show)--everything from Scarlet Pimpernel, Jekyll & Hyde, Rent, Singin' in the Rain--to Robert Goulet in Camelot (wow!), Grease, Ragtime, Mamma Mia, you name it. Now that I live in the sticks, I begin to realize how rich I was--! ah, the ignorance of youth.

Top contenders for me are Les Miz and Phantom--but the winner, hands down, is Aida. The music still gives me chills. In fact, sigh, back I go to YouTube... here's one of my favorite songs (A Step Too Far): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=laW9gdxPwuw.

Well, my favorite probably has to do as much with the memories and situation associated as with the production itself. My favorite was a production of Brigadoon I saw at a little bitty playhouse in West Yellowstone, MT when I was about twelve. It was my first live theater experience. It was a little theatre in the round, with audience seated on 3 sides of the stage. Before the show started, the cast performed a series of short skits, humorous musical numbers, and so forth, and when it wasn't their turn to perform they moved through the audience selling caramel corn, fountain drinks, and blocks of amazingly delicious fudge. When the show started, it was magical, complete with well done lighting effects, and mist that rose up on stage and through the audience and really seemed to transport us to that little highland village.

I saw Seven Brides for Seven Brothers and Hello Dolly at the same theater later on, but Brigadoon remains my favorite.

My all-time favorite Broadway show is Les Mis (saw it 3x).

I also loved:

Chicago (with Bebe Newirth and Ann Reinking)

Lion King (2x)

Annie Get Your Gun (with Bernadette Peters)

Rent (3x)

Phantom of the Opera

Ms. Saigon

Beauty and the Beast (2x)

Forum (with Whoopi Goldberg)

Grease

Didn't care too much for Aida, Movin' Out, Ragtime, or Saturday Night Fever.

Off Broadway I loved Schoolhouse Rock Live!, Little Shop of Horrors, and Vagina Monologues.

Fiddler on the Roof with Zero Mostel when I was six or seven

Wicked

Jesus Christ, Superstar

Joseph with Donny Osmond

A Chorus Line

West Side Story

Fiddler is by far my favorite. I can close my eyes and picture it, still. My grandparents took us, and we had front row balcony seats. I have seen a few productions of it since then. But I can always see the original in my mind.

RENT! Loved, loved, loved it. It was so hard to resist the temptation to sing along, but considering my vocal skills, I was pretty sure the people around me would not have appreciated it. :D

My family and I love that musical. We immediately bought the CD and the DVD. Of course, I had to order my then 13yo not to sing "La Vie Boheme" in front of her grandfather. :lol:

We as a family love musicals and live theater. I have taken the girls with me to performances since they were little.

Top 5 Favorites:

Wicked (Woot! - Love this one. Saw it in London and again here at home)

Rent

Jesus Christ Superstar

Spamalot

25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee (Awesome and funny)

If you get a chance to see Spelling Bee I highly recommend it.