Menu

Is yoga anti-christian?

QUOTE=apayne;1431459]I don't think you did. You can stretch and breathe and worship Buddah, or you can stretch and breathe and worship God. The fact that you're stretching and breathing has nothing to do with who you're worshipping.

I've stretched and breathed for years and love my Lord. I've trick-or-treated for years and have never built an alter to satan. I also know lots of people who put up Christmas trees, but that doesn't make them Christian.

Being a Christian means that I believe that Jesus is God's son, that he died for my sins and rose again, that I'll spend eternity with Him in Heaven. The position I'm sitting in doesn't matter.

:iagree: I have done yoga for years, sometimes as part of a class, and using various dvd's. I actually pray while doing it; it makes me feel closer to God. But, I also did bring up doing yoga at one of our homeschool girls club meetings, and one of the ladies had a big problem with it because of the "spiritual" element.

That is horrible. Why would they find it insulting that a suggestion for a class was made. Not all Christians feel the way these parents do. How would you know their stance without asking first?

I really find it idiotic that people take insult about stuff like that. It is getting to the point that a person can't ask a question or open his/her mouth without insulting someone.

Just the fact that I feel the need to type "his/her" so I don't insult someone is a good example.

Some people need to get a good grip on reality and realize it isn't always about them.

:iagree::iagree:

You are so right, people are insulted by the way you look let alone the way you talk...or exercise.

People are entrenched in legalism,and if you ask me it is legalistic to think that Yoga is anti-Christian or any such thing.

Technically Easter is Pagan.

Technically Halloween is Pagan.

Technically Christmas is Pagan.

Technically Yoga is Hindu.

Pretty much anything we celebrate has Pagan roots yet we still celebrate them.

Even if you don't put up a Christmas tree are you participating in any events?

My point is we can become way to legalistic in what we do, to the point where we don't do anything.

I don't choose to live that way.

I will do Yoga if I like, I will watch Harry Potter, I will read my bible and pray to my God.

I am not going to be offended at other people because they suggest something that I may deem offensive to my sensibilities. How do they know you don't like it unless they ask?

Anyhow my 2+ cents.

:grouphug::grouphug:

Technically, yoga is a spiritual practice designed to allow the yoga practitioner to merge with the "all".....This would not be considered orthodox spiritual practice with regard to the teachings of the Christian church, or the Bible. (I don't have time to cite this information, nor do I wish to debate. But if one honestly investigates what yoga is and what Christianity is, I believe one will see the problem.)

Granted, many people who do yoga have no idea of its original spiritual purpose. Lots of Christians practice yoga as a mere physical exercise, and I won't argue that it is not physically beneficial. I love a good yoga stretch!

However, from my perspective as having been involved with a yogi who knew how to guide one into the absolutely spiritual realm via yogic posturing and breathing, I do not see yoga as benign. It can be a very powerful vehicle in leading one into a spiritual realm which is not friendly to Christ and His mission...and, therefore, imnsho, dangerous for Christians, particularly those without solid doctrinal understanding.

:iagree::iagree:

She is right there are different kinds of yoga. Some ARE meant for spiritual practice. There are others that stretch the body. There are some forms that combine the two.

Most of the yoga studios do not teach the spiritual aspect of the religion. You do have to be careful about videos that incorporate some of the words like Omh and ying and yang.

There is one I did wit the kids not long ago that was centered around the yoga poses that are animals. It was cute and fun!

Well no actually there are 4 types of yoga-Jnana, Bhakti, Karma, and Raja-the physical kind falls under Raja. All 4 are meant to be spiritual.

"This they consider Yoga: the steady holding of the senses." - Katha-Upanishad

"Yoga is said to be the oneness of breath, mind, and senses, and the abandonment of all states of existence." - Maitrî-Upanishad

"Yoga is known as the disconnection (viyoga) of the connection (samyoga) with suffering." - The Bhagavad Gita

The animal poses are traditional names given to yoga asanas, probably just translated to English. Example-snake pose/cobra pose is bhujangasana.

But again, it's not something you have to believe in to take advantage of for exercise/health reasons.

I understand why some of the parents may feel like they wouldn't want to expose their children to yoga if they themselves feel it is too close to a different religion than they are comfortable with. Calling something by a different name wouldn't really change what it actually is. Yoga is still yoga, no matter what color you paint it. Maybe a music and movement class would be more readily accepted.

Was this a really far out reaction or is yoga actually insulting to Christians?

Obviously from my ignorance I am not a Christian, but I believe the majority of people in the PE group probably are, so I want to make sure I don't step wrong again.

Well, my DH is a Christian who grew up in India until he came to the US for college, and he will not abide yoga in any way, shape or form in our house. He is absolutely against it, and he does say he thinks it's impossible to separate the religion from the exercise because the roots of yoga are religious.

The key thing is that in Christianity, we are to fill our minds with the mind of Christ. In yoga, the goal is to empty one's mind. It's a totally different thing.

If we were in your group, my kids would not be able to participate. If you want to be inclusive, there are other exercises that can be done that would work just fine and wouldn't offend anyone.

FWIW,

Susan

Technically, yoga is a spiritual practice designed to allow the yoga practitioner to merge with the "all".....This would not be considered orthodox spiritual practice with regard to the teachings of the Christian church, or the Bible. (I don't have time to cite this information, nor do I wish to debate. But if one honestly investigates what yoga is and what Christianity is, I believe one will see the problem.)

Granted, many people who do yoga have no idea of its original spiritual purpose. Lots of Christians practice yoga as a mere physical exercise, and I won't argue that it is not physically beneficial. I love a good yoga stretch!

However, from my perspective as having been involved with a yogi who knew how to guide one into the absolutely spiritual realm via yogic posturing and breathing, I do not see yoga as benign. It can be a very powerful vehicle in leading one into a spiritual realm which is not friendly to Christ and His mission...and, therefore, imnsho, dangerous for Christians, particularly those without solid doctrinal understanding.

:iagree: very well said. this pretty much explains many Christians' perspective on the issue, my own included.

Technically Halloween is Pagan.

Technically Christmas is Pagan.

Technically Yoga is Hindu.

Technically, you are wrong. The Easter Bunny is pagan, not the celebration of the Resurrection of Christ. We don't do the Easter Bunny.

Technically Halloween is Pagan, and we don't celebrate it at all, or even acknowledge it except to disconnect the doorbell.

Technically, Christmas is not pagan. Christ - mas is the celebration of the advent of the returning Messiah, and (later) the birth of the Messiah and his first coming. The intent is to prepare our hearts to receive him.

Technically, Yoga is Hindu. We don't do it.

I think it is very fuzzy logic to say that because folk religion has become mixed with Christianity, that it's okay to take that a little further and include other things as well.

Christians make (IMHO) the mistake of allowing their worship of God to be distracted by peripheral things such as Easter bunnies and Santa. Easter is timed as it is because it coincides with Jewish Passover. Christmas happens when it does because of the Christian calendar, not because it started as a pagan celebration. That the two ever became mixed is not okay (IMO), and I seek to keep my worship wholly and completely centered on the truth and the One True God. Anything that proves to be a peripheral or a distraction is tossed. Is this a "hard line"? Yes. Is it hard to live by? No--the more we do this the easier it becomes and the more rewarding my faith becomes. Do I expect everyone to keep the same standard? No...I don't judge those who are not on the same journey as I. This is between me and my God.

Should Christians be offended that a non-believer suggested a yoga class? NO WAY. The OP can just release herself from worrying that she's offended a Christian. If she did, that is their problem. If a Christian suggested it, I'd politely back out, explain why I thought they needed to reconsider, and then leave the rest up to them and God. This is not a hill worth dying on, but as a Christian, I avoid things that open my soul up to anything other than the Spirit of Christ.

I don't think you did. You can stretch and breathe and worship Buddah, or you can stretch and breathe and worship God. The fact that you're stretching and breathing has nothing to do with who you're worshipping.

I've stretched and breathed for years and love my Lord. I've trick-or-treated for years and have never built an alter to satan. I also know lots of people who put up Christmas trees, but that doesn't make them Christian.

Being a Christian means that I believe that Jesus is God's son, that he died for my sins and rose again, that I'll spend eternity with Him in Heaven. The position I'm sitting in doesn't matter.

:iagree:

Not directly related, but this is perfect timing.

My local paper had this article online today

http://www.montrealgazette.com/health/Yoga+Judaism+blend+contorts+body+mind/2443243/story.html

Yoga + Judaism. Out with hinduism, in with the Bible. (or Torah in this particular case)

http://www.bibliyoga.com/

Thanks for posting that little bit of home (I am from Montreal). Darn, all homesick now!

I don't think you did. You can stretch and breathe and worship Buddah, or you can stretch and breathe and worship God. The fact that you're stretching and breathing has nothing to do with who you're worshipping.

:iagree: Worship comes from the heart, not the position you're standing in.

I've done yoga and frankly, the last thing on my mind was becoming one with the universe. I'm usually focusing on not falling over!

Well, my DH is a Christian who grew up in India until he came to the US for college, and he will not abide yoga in any way, shape or form in our house. He is absolutely against it, and he does say he thinks it's impossible to separate the religion from the exercise because the roots of yoga are religious.

The key thing is that in Christianity, we are to fill our minds with the mind of Christ. In yoga, the goal is to empty one's mind. It's a totally different thing.

If we were in your group, my kids would not be able to participate. If you want to be inclusive, there are other exercises that can be done that would work just fine and wouldn't offend anyone.

FWIW,

Susan

Ime, most Christians' issues are based right there. If you remove Christ from your mind, you're "opening" your mind to other things. I totally agree with your dh ;)

Should Christians be offended that a non-believer suggested a yoga class? NO WAY. The OP can just release herself from worrying that she's offended a Christian. If she did, that is their problem. If a Christian suggested it, I'd politely back out, explain why I thought they needed to reconsider, and then leave the rest up to them and God. This is not a hill worth dying on, but as a Christian, I avoid things that open my soul up to anything other than the Spirit of Christ.

I've been trying to understand the negative reaction the OP got, and I think a lot of it was, she was the little ones' teacher/instructor and the parents were, maybe, scared to think she'd just go ahead and do it anyway.

I've removed ds from a class at the YMCA, because I found out they were using yoga for the opening and closing. I was very angry, very very angry, that they had included yoga without having it listed as part of the class. I wasn't offended by any stretch of the imagination, I was ticked off. After that experience, whenever I hear it mentioned in regards to something the kids are doing my ears perk up, because I already know that a lot of people see no harm in it and don't bother to mention it.

Honestly, having grown up around a large Hindu population, with lots of Hindu friends (now and then), and especially having had an uncle who lived in India for 25 years, I have never met a Hindu who objected to yoga - it never even occured to me that I would be insulting a Christian by offering to add some yoga.

...wouldn't object, because it's part of their belief system. :001_smile:

Have you ever read the Bhagavad Gita? It explains a bit about the connection.

I think that there are Christians who view it as a practice, in and of itself, who wouldn't be bothered, and there are those who feel uncomfortable with it.

I wouldn't want my younger children to practice yoga, and I doubt that my older ones (teens) would choose to, either.

I think it's an issue like many others...some will not have a problem with it, and others will. ::Shrug::

But since it is tied to a spiritual practice...you might expect those with differing spiritual practices to want to opt out. Like using a Christian-specific curriculum or music for a group that's multi-faith. I don't think it's any reason for anyone to be rude to you (it sounded like some of the emails you received were bordering on that), but for future reference...it might be food for thought.

(ETA: In answer to one of your questions...it would not insult me, for something like this to have happened. Especially if you're not a Christian, with an idea of all of the nuances between the variations of Christian belief. I'd opt out, but that's it. I know a lot of my ideas aren't the majority's, and I can accept when a decision will cost us participation in something, and I usually only do that if it's a "biggie" to me. I hope you don't feel bad about what happened, and I hope that the other members of the group were gracious to you, in voicing their opinions/concerns!)

Edited by Jill, OK

I used to be a little squeamish about yoga because of the spiritual aspect. But, I decided to go ahead and give it a try because of the physical benefits, and I LOVED it! At the end, when the instructor would do a little "thing" (have no clue what it's called) at end with hands at the heart, a little bow, and "namaste", I'd tune it out and do a little courtesy bow. I tried to blend in and not make a scene, but I didn't want to do anything that didn't mesh with my convictions.

THEN....one day, I guess he was offended that I didn't "namaste" him back, and he specifically came up to me--in front of the class--and said it again, trying to get me to repeat.

I never went back.

It just proved to me that my initial gut reaction, as a Christian, to not participate was correct. And there was nothing hysterical about it.

I've done yoga and frankly, the last thing on my mind was becoming one with the universe. I'm usually focusing on not falling over!

This is usually me as well!

I just wanted to chime in again since I went to a Yoga class this morning. I spent the whole time thinking about what I was supposed to be tightening, where my balance was supposed to be focused, and thinking about how hard it was. I honestly had no time to think about anything else. I haven't done much Yoga this past school year and todays class was very hard!! (didn't I say that already??) :)

As a yoga instructor, this just makes me mad. He was wrong. I'm sorry he did that. Yuck. Glad you didn't go back.

I'm a Christian and taught yoga for 8 years. However, in the back of my mind there was always something that bothered me about the spiritual part of it - not that I taught anything other than non-spiritual gym yoga.

One day I went to my favorite yoga studio (in another state, so I only got there a couple times a year), with my favorite yogi and the class started chanting. Not ohm, but words I didn't understand. The whole class was chanting them. No one explained what it meant. What I found out later was that it was something saying roughly that we bow to the great sage who wrote the book the Yoga Sutras.

That's fine if that's what people want to do and say, but it weirded me out that 50 people were chanting something they didn't understand. (I asked most other students and none of them knew what they were saying).

Namaste itself can have several diff. meanings. Most people just think of it as a sign of respect. Still, I've heard people say it means "peace", "health" or even "class over". :) Namaste can have spiritual meanings though. Usually along the lines of "the spirit in me honors the spirit in you" Again, fine if that's what you want to be saying, odd if you're just saying a word you don't understand. Reminds me of a friend who taught her cousin from a foreign country that to say excuse me in America you say "Move" Her cousin meant to be polite, but was actually being rude because she was saying a word that she didn't understand the meaning of. (bad grammar, I know)

Long story short- too late I know - you have to be informed, aware and go with your faith/conscience - as with most things in life. I never taught a class that was spiritually objectionable - we just did stretches and breathing. However, I couldn't shake the feeling that somehow that wasn't what God wanted for me, so I quit teaching it.

Does that mean yoga is bad and wrong? Nope. I loved yoga, but I love God more and honoring what I perceive Him to be saying to me was more important. I still have plenty of strong Christian friends who take yoga and have no qualms at all about it. Romans 14:19

19Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification. 20Do not destroy the work of God for the sake of food

Swap food for yoga and that verse sums up my thoughts on the matter.

I used to be a little squeamish about yoga because of the spiritual aspect. But, I decided to go ahead and give it a try because of the physical benefits, and I LOVED it! At the end, when the instructor would do a little "thing" (have no clue what it's called) at end with hands at the heart, a little bow, and "namaste", I'd tune it out and do a little courtesy bow. I tried to blend in and not make a scene, but I didn't want to do anything that didn't mesh with my convictions.

THEN....one day, I guess he was offended that I didn't "namaste" him back, and he specifically came up to me--in front of the class--and said it again, trying to get me to repeat.

I never went back.

It just proved to me that my initial gut reaction, as a Christian, to not participate was correct. And there was nothing hysterical about it.

I think I may have unintentionally insulted some of my fellow local homeschoolers. A homeschool PE group was organized here (San Antonio) and had such great response that they divided the group into two days and I am now headed up the 3-5 age group for one of the days. So far, the kids have only played games, and I posed the question to the group: "can the kids do some other fun activitites rather than just playing games, like yoga for kids?". I am going to rent (from Netflix) a series of YogaKids DVDs and thought I could get some ideas, particularly from the YogaKids ABC yoga DVD. Well, I got one public message and several private messages about how I obviously know nothing about yoga or Hindus or Christians because yoga cannot be separated from Hinduism and is an affront to the Christian God, and that their children will be withdrawn from the program if I offer any yoga during the class. I felt really bad.

Honestly, having grown up around a large Hindu population, with lots of Hindu friends (now and then), and especially having had an uncle who lived in India for 25 years, I have never met a Hindu who objected to yoga - it never even occured to me that I would be insulting a Christian by offering to add some yoga.

Was this a really far out reaction or is yoga actually insulting to Christians? The director of the community center where the program is held was all for it (as long as I didn't show the actual DVD), and before I approach him about adding it separately from teh group (like an elective) I want to make sure that even this wouldn't make some parents withdraw their kids.

Obviously from my ignorance I am not a Christian, but I believe the majority of people in the PE group probably are, so I want to make sure I don't step wrong again.

:grouphug:

I'm a Christian and I do yoga 3 times a week. IMO, when Christians judge an exercise class based on what it COULD be, they're the ones that are wrong. Sure, you could add religion to it, but you could add religion to ANY exercise routine. Yoga is the only thing that keeps me off painkillers for my sciatic. It is also keeping me out of physical therapy for a shoulder injury. I didn't read the other responses because I wanted to give you my objective answer. I'm sorry you ran into this. Maybe the Christians in your group just need to be educated on what the class entails and the physical benefits of Yoga. If they're not interested after that, it's their loss.

Blessings!

Dorinda

:iagree:

Well put!

Namaste itself can have several diff. meanings. Most people just think of it as a sign of respect. Still, I've heard people say it means "peace", "health" or even "class over". :) Namaste can have spiritual meanings though. Usually along the lines of "the spirit in me honors the spirit in you" Again, fine if that's what you want to be saying, odd if you're just saying a word you don't understand.

When I first started, the instructor said that it meant, "The god in me bows to the god in you." That's why I felt compelled to keep silent during that portion. This all happened during a class at the gym, too, so it wasn't like I was at a yoga studio where I'd expect that to be the norm.

You're quite right about not saying/chanting/doing things that you're not fully informed about!

Hinduism is a very "inclusive" religion. The Christianity most people seem to practice is quite "exclusive" and therefore some tend to react to anything they perceive as "non Christian" as being threatening to them. Hence the reaction of many Christians to yoga. Yoga can be practiced on many levels, and the body stretches are the most superficial of yogas.

I wouldnt try and understand it. Just accept it.

You could skip the spiritual, deeper parts, and not call it yoga, and just do stretching and breathing, and call it stretching and breathing, and thats all you would be doing. Because thats not really yoga- its westernised yoga, and you may as well call it stretching and breathing.

I'm not a Christian, but at a Healing Yoga (Desikachar) yoga training in San Francisco, I met an ordained minister who has been called to teach yoga. She believes that it helps people heal and become whole, and the exciting thing is that her bishop has now appointed her to bring this healing yoga to the community. She is an amazing ray of light, and here's her website: http://www.healingflowyoga.com/Classes.html

Desikachar is very respectful of all faiths, and we chanted in Grace Cathedral, including a special chant honoring Jesus. He has many Christian students (and yoga teachers), as well as others from all faiths.

Julie

I did some research on this a few years ago, and wish I could find the same sites that were there at that time. While I would have to say in answer to the op, yoga itself is not anti-Christian. On the other hand, I think that many Christians do not feel that yoga is a God honoring activity, so it would be more fitting to say that many Christians are anti-yoga. As you can already see by this thread, the topic at times can become controversial. You will find that whatever the opinion a Christian holds about yoga, it is something that they are probably pretty passionate about.

The clincher for me in my research was when I visited a Hindu site that stated in plain words, "You can take yoga out of Hinduism, but you cannot take Hinduism out of yoga." The point being made was that every position used in yoga was connected to a spiritual activity related to the Hindu faith. This made me feel very uncomfortable. Along with this, at the time I was doing my research I knew a family that was Hindu and they gave me informational that supported the precept that yoga is very connected to Hindu spiritualism. I came to the conclusion that it was an area of spirituality that I was not willing to compromise. (Think of young Daniel being held in captivity in Babylon and his choice to not eat certain foods due to his strong faith in the one true God...)

I choose not to participate in yoga and do not allow my daughter to either, but at the same time I do not want to judge those that do. I know there are Christians that place their own prayers and meditation into the exercises, and feel that it is right for them. I just can't do that myself. It is a personal decision that we each need to make for ourselves. Whatever the choice, lets respect each other and the viewpoint that we take.

Blessings,

Lucinda

Edited by HSMom2One