Menu

Tell me about Math Mammoth

athena1277

I've been using the light blue series for almost a year with my 7yo so I don't have a ton of experience but here goes...

The pros are it's fairly cheap, the teaching is all integrated into the text so there is no separate teacher's manual, it's a mastery program, teaches everything in incremental steps and builds on them, and there are no manipulatives required. I have heard it said, and read on the website, that it does a good job of teaching mental math but I don't have enough experience to really say.

The cons....the only con I can think of is that there are a LOT of problems on each page. So sometimes it takes a long time to complete a page. However, that is not necessarily a bad thing either. If my 7yo gets a concept, sometimes we just skip some problems.

Have you looked at http://www.mathmammoth.com ? There should be samples you can view. Hope this was a little bit helpful. :)

We love MM! It addresses mental math in a non-intimidating way for those of us who didn't learn that way. It also teaches the steps, but stresses understanding the concepts, not just being able to perform on the page. As I've said before, it's a great combo of two top programs- Saxon and Singapore. I find it to be much better for us than either of those two, yet it has the most popular likes of both. There's also a comp program that comes along with it that includes games to reinforce or review concepts, facts drill and practice, test and worksheet generators, and even some language arts games.

MM is the first math program that has my 3rd grader getting math and actually liking it and it's a very solid program. Can't beat that!

We use CLE 1 and it's going really good but yet I feel like something is missing. I really think I have found it with Math Mammoth. I will definitely keep doing CLE but will supplement with MM. It's more visual with number groups etc... CLE just has the basic addition & subtraction problems on the page. I just downloaded MM the other day and she has only done a few pages but she REALLY likes it. After doing the first worksheet, she said "Oh, now I get it". :001_smile:

I've been using math mammoth for one and half years now with my 2nd grade son and for half years with my kindergarten daughter. We love it. It's cheap, easy to use, teach very incrementally and painlessly, but somehow manage to be challenging.

People say that it's like Singapore math in approach, but it's very easy to teach and understand. There's a lot of problems too, so your children will get enough practice.

The only drawback: it's not as 'cheerful' as S-pore and the font is rather small.

But other than that, MM rocks. We plan on using it till the end.

Ask me specific questions, and I'll answer.

"We use CLE 1 and it's going really good but yet I feel like something is missing. I really think I have found it with Math Mammoth. I will definitely keep doing CLE but will supplement with MM. "

I was considering supplement with Math Mammoth. I was wondering how you do this as we use CLE 1 and 2 as well. (2 kids) My 1st grader is going through CLE so fast so I thought she would probably really like MM.

I was considering supplement with Math Mammoth. I was wondering how you do this as we use CLE 1 and 2 as well. (2 kids) My 1st grader is going through CLE so fast so I thought she would probably really like MM.

We have only been doing this for 3 days so not much experience. I have been letting her skip the speed drills (we will concentrate on those at the end of 1st grade). I just pick a page from MM that I want to use and print so she can do it with her CLE.

I just downloaded MM the other day and she has only done a few pages but she REALLY likes it. After doing the first worksheet, she said "Oh, now I get it". :001_smile:

LOVE all the "Ah ha!" and "Oh, now I get it" moments we are getting here, too! Even with concepts dd has been doing for two years, she is now "getting" for the first time.

Another :thumbup: here. Its wonderful combination of drill, mental math, various approaches to solving a problem, accessible author, tons of additional resources and support make this a perfect program for our family.

I am currently using it with my ds13, who is being hs and my 1st grader who is in ps.

We are on our 2nd year using MM and I love it. My son is better at mental math then figuring it out on paper so I like that it includes both. Makes us both happy. Like others have said there are a lot of problems on each page, so we skip every other one. I use the "extra" problems to do additional teaching or for extra practice. I plan to continue using it.

We used grade 4 last year and are now using grade 5. Seems fine - I like the format - worktext with short explanations. Not completely independent but a good start. We're not looking elsewhere at this point which is a good sign since I'm a curriculum junkie! Oh and a great price!

We started it in 4th grade so I don't think starting in 2nd should be a problem. So long as you've done math at the first grade level.

Dd would be in 2nd next year. Would it be ok to start her in MM at that point? Is she missing anything from the 1st grade book?

I started my son with MM2 last year and he was fine. The first chapter is always review and you could also have her take the 1st grade test, which I believe is on the MM website, to see if she has any holes that you need to cover before starting. The author looks for an 80% pass before going on to the next level.

Dd would be in 2nd next year. Would it be ok to start her in MM at that point? Is she missing anything from the 1st grade book?

Take the placement test and email the specific scores to the author and she will help you customize and get the perfect fit. She was excellent! We were able to get the topical worktexts for filling in gaps prior to starting MM3 complete curriculum.

The pros are it's fairly cheap, the teaching is all integrated into the text so there is no separate teacher's manual, it's a mastery program, teaches everything in incremental steps and builds on them, and there are no manipulatives required. I have heard it said, and read on the website, that it does a good job of teaching mental math but I don't have enough experience to really say.

:iagree:

I originally bought Singapore, and liked the approach but didn't like constantly switching back and forth between the text and workbooks, so I switched to Math Mammoth. I used it for a year & a half with DS, who was way behind in math when I pulled him out of PS after 4th grade (he was still doing 3rd grade math). I used MM4 & 5 and he sailed through it. He is not a mathy kid at all, and this was the first time he ever "got" it. He went from Math Mammoth 5 into TT Prealgebra with no trouble ~ if MM6 was out yet, I would have preferred to stick with MM because I think it's a much more rigorous program. (I think MM6 is supposed to be out next summer.)

I'm currently using parts of the Blue Series with DD7 and she loves it, too ~ she will happily do 5-6 pages a day. I do recommend the Light Blue series (complete grade-leveled curriculum) over the Blue Series topical books, though. IMO the Light Blue series is just easier to schedule and use. I may go ahead and buy the Light Blue MM3 for next year, even though I have all the Blue books for grades 1-3.

Jackie

So I was planning to switch to this next year... but DD is really liking Abeka now that I have the hang of teaching it, so I don't know. The Cathy Duffy review says that MM is good for Competent Carl or Perfect Paula. I have a Sociable Sue, so I don't know what to think.:tongue_smilie:All of the other Cathy Duffy math reviews didn't really mention learning types.:glare:

So I was planning to switch to this next year... but DD is really liking Abeka now that I have the hang of teaching it, so I don't know. The Cathy Duffy review says that MM is good for Competent Carl or Perfect Paula. I have a Sociable Sue, so I don't know what to think.:tongue_smilie:All of the other Cathy Duffy math reviews didn't really mention learning types.:glare:

I don't get the connection between the curriclum and the personality types. :confused:

I don't know how CD categorizes kids, but I'm guessing my very talkative, extroverted DD7 would be a "Sociable Sue," and she loves Math Mammoth. She will sometimes get a few worksheets out on a weekend just for fun. I wouldn't let that part of the Duffy review dissuade you if you think it's something that might work for you! There are lots of sample pages on the website, and you can sign up for a free download of 280 assorted worksheets from all the different packages, to see if your DD would like it.

Jackie

I don't get the connection between the curriclum and the personality types. :confused:

I don't know how CD categorizes kids, but I'm guessing my very talkative, extroverted DD7 would be a "Sociable Sue," and she loves Math Mammoth. She will sometimes get a few worksheets out on a weekend just for fun. I wouldn't let that part of the Duffy review dissuade you if you think it's something that might work for you! There are lots of sample pages on the website, and you can sign up for a free download of 280 assorted worksheets from all the different packages, to see if your DD would like it.

Jackie

:iagree:

The website says she is working on Gr. 6 math right now, but I don't know when it's supposed to be done.

Hopefully should be done this summer:

Right now, my goal is to write 6th grade (finishing that in summer 2010) so that the series will be a complete curriculum for grades 1-6. I do not have any plans made for further grades. After completing 6th grade with Math Mammoth, most students should be able to continue with pre-algebra.

Jackie

Guest 9ofusnow

Thanks so much for this thread! I am relatively new to HSing and having just pulled our kids from PS at the break, I am desperately trying to find a math program to use. I have some who are great at math and love it, and others who just seem to not quite get it. Maybe this will really work for all of them!

I do have a question though - has anyone combined this with Miquon? I was told that was a great series to run through to catch any areas of weakness, but it sounds like MM might do the same thing.

Also, to whoever was combining it with Singapore, do you use one over the other and just fill in, or use them both completely?

Oh, and what is HSBC???

Thanks so much for this thread! I am relatively new to HSing and having just pulled our kids from PS at the break, I am desperately trying to find a math program to use. I have some who are great at math and love it, and others who just seem to not quite get it. Maybe this will really work for all of them!

I have a mathy 2nd grader, & a 6th grader with LDs who was a grade behind in math when I pulled him from PS, and it's worked really well for both of them.

I do have a question though - has anyone combined this with Miquon? I was told that was a great series to run through to catch any areas of weakness, but it sounds like MM might do the same thing.

Miquon is pretty teacher-intensive, and it may take some time to get up to speed. The workbooks don't have much instruction in them, you need to read the Lab Sheet Annotations, Notes to Teachers, and maybe the First Grade Diary. Basically you (the teacher) are the "text." You also need cuisenaire rods, as they're an integral part of the program. I thought it was a fabulous looking program, bought the full kit, started trying to implement it (while DS was doing Math Mammoth), and eventually gave up and just bought Math Mammoth for DD as well. And she likes it better. (I do think Miquon is a great program, if you have the time and energy to invest in it, but I didn't.)

Also, to whoever was combining it with Singapore, do you use one over the other and just fill in, or use them both completely?

You could use Singapore for your main text and supplement with Math Mammoth worksheets, or you could use Math Mammoth and supplement with Singapore Challenging Word Problems.

In your circumstances ~ having just pulled kids out of PS and wanting to quickly find something that's easy to use and is likely to work for multiple kids ~ I think Math Mammoth would be your best best. It's inexpensive, instantly downloadable, and it's an all-in-one, open-&-go program. It's designed specifically for homeschoolers, it's self-teaching (the "text" parts are written directly to the student), and the author (Maria Miller) is very helpful and accessible by email if you have problems.

What ages are your children?

Jackie