Menu

How do you conquer procrastination?

This is tough. But for me when I'm feeling this way, I usually set small goals, write them down, and work through them. Checking them off makes me feel as if I've truly accomplished them. Usually that gives me the drive to keep going and get more done. Eventually my lists become longer. I seem to go in cycles where I'm really productive and then procrastinate for weeks.

Whew-I'm glad you think so! I was hoping you would take it in the spirit intended!

I'm awful about procrastinating myself. But I do find that writing down what I want to accomplish helps me keep it in the forefront of my mind, and thus, more doable.

The problem is I never have time to write the lists, and when the opportunity does manifest, well... I just a few minutes for a cup of coffee.

Who has the time to end procrastination? I am much to busy to try.

now I find I just like to make lists- I even copy them over to make sure they are neat. I love planning and calendars, etc. Another bummer is- I hate to delegate, I feel like I need to do everything- but I don't want to. I wish I could kick my own butt. :lol:

Getting things done

It's written for business executives but I got a lot of great ideas from it. Some basic rules are:

1) don't put anything optional on your calendar, when you don't complete it you will feel like you failed

2) if it can be done in 2 minutes or less, do it *now.*

3) have a working filing system in place that lets you file and find things easily

4) organize your to-do's by where you do them. Have a list for when you are out and about, a list when you are by the computer, a list for when you are waiting at your kid's gymnastics lesson, etc.

5) find your *next action step* - we procrastinate on a lot of projects because we haven't identified what we need to do first. Figure out the one thing you need to get things started (calling someone for an address so you can write a thank you, getting some new carpet cleaner soap so you can clean the carpets, etc.) and make that your to-do rather than the whole project.

I have only implemented parts of his program so far and have already experienced stress relief. His theory is if you have a good system that you can rely on, you can take to-do's out of your head and put them into your system and then free up all the mental space you use to make sure you aren't forgetting things, or fretting over what you should be doing but haven't started yet.

It's a great book!!!

When I realize I am living in that overwhelmed state of mind, and find myself in major procrastination mode, I ask myself, "If I could just get ONE thing off of my list, which one would most free my mind?" Often, among the bunches of small tasks I need to do, there is one bothersome monster that is causing me to feel oppressed. If I can identify it, and choose to engage it, all else seems pale by comparison.

So, while the "little at a time" advice is good and many find it effective, what helps *me* most is to sweep out the elephant. FWIW, I have to keep telling myself that it won't get done unless I do it, and it's not going away until I do it.

now I find I just like to make lists- I even copy them over to make sure they are neat. I love planning and calendars, etc. Another bummer is- I hate to delegate, I feel like I need to do everything- but I don't want to. I wish I could kick my own butt. :lol:

:iagree::iagree:

Wow I do the same thing with lists..I shudder to think of the trees I have gone through!

My bummer is no matter how many lists I make (lists for the lists) I still can't get through them.:glare:

:grouphug::grouphug:

I've struggled with procrastination all my life. Somewhere a long time ago in a Dru Scott book, I think, I found an interesting piece of info. We should ask ourselves why we are procrastinating on a project we say we want to do. She said that sometimes we are unconsciously trying to steal or put power on someone else. My son didn't want to write an essay as a way of saying 'you can't make me' to me, for example. I don't want to do such and such because someone I disagree with is asking me to do it. Lame examples, but maybe it will help you see the point.

It helps me a lot to look beyond my list and ask who am I mad at or trying to control by not doing this thing on my list? When I'm clear I can tell myself to grow up and get going. :D You'd be surprised how often I'm shooting myself in the foot concerning things *I* really want to accomplish....or do I???? :D

Something I've been trying lately: I set a timer for 10 minutes and get started (my biggest weakness is cleaning). I only have to stick with it for 10 minutes, but I try to see how much I can get done. Often, by the time the timer rings I've found my groove and it's much easier to keep going. I think mine's mostly inertia--it's easier to keep doing whatever I'm doing than to switch tracks and get started on something else. I guess it's just a mental crutch to help me get over that "getting started" inertia. I can stop and do anything for 10 minutes, kwim?

Does anyone have book suggestions, websites or advice? It seems as late, I have a big bad case of I don't wannas. Yech!

Haven't read the other responses. Perfectionists tend to procrastinate. Settle for good enough. On a task you don't want to do, commit to doing it for 15 or 30 minutes. See how you do. If you really can't stand it, well, you've already tackled it for that time which is more than you would have done if you just sat around worrying about. Usually, that initial time will put you on a roll. If you think you can go on, do another timed interval. Complete the interval and do another one if you feel up to it.

ETA: Oh BTW, I attended some personality workshop at work (waaaaay back when I was a real person). This particular line of thought had people in 4 categories. S type people procrastinate and can't focus on a task until under pressure (time). Then all of sudden, they kick in to high gear, get focused, get clear, and get going!

Edited by LG Gone Wild

Perfectionists tend to procrastinate. Settle for good enough. On a task you don't want to do, commit to doing it for 15 or 30 minutes. See how you do. If you really can't stand it, well, you've already tackled it for that time which is more than you would have done if you just sat around worrying about. Usually, that initial time will put you on a roll. If you think you can go on, do another timed interval. Complete the interval and do another one if you feel up to it.

:iagree:I realised my issue was that unless I felt I could do it ALL and do it PERFECTLY I didn't want to even start.It was too overwhelming. Flylady taught me to do babysteps..10 minutes here, 5 minutes there. Better to spend 5 minutes in teh laundry than not go in there all week for fear of the huge workload. Its amazing how much can actually be done in 5 minutes.

My to do list has 4 sections and I make a new one every time it fills up or gets too messy. I just divide a sheet of paper into 4 and call each section a different thing- Home, Out, Computer and Phone. Then I put my To Dos in the appropriate square. I have done this for years now and it just works for me- and it sits at my left on my computer desk. I have a pin board with the bills pinned to it on the wall in front of my computer desk, and a large squared calendar to my right at the computer desk. The computer desk is in the school room...so I can pay bills, write lists, check my calendar, and also fulfil certain things on my To Do list...all while supervisiing the kids' schoolwork. If I am not in the room...not so much work gets done.

I simply continue putting things off until I am under great pressure and have some sort of time line. Then I work very hard, very diligently and pat myself on the back, saying, "You do so great under pressure!"

I'm sure that does not help you any... and I can see myself asking the same question because as I get older and am no longer super mom in the least... I have this struggle!!

If I have a lot to do and feel like I am getting no where, I break things down into lists... cetgories and lists and pick what is most important each day and work on that smaller list...

I started the group 1-2-3 Accomplish and we'd love to share our days with each of you! We (one faithful friend and I) post daily what we need to accomplish for that day. Many times similar routines are posted, but, it helps to encourage each other. And we DO actually see the bigger things happen! They do get done... I remember last year posting for weeks and weeks about getting the garage cleaned up. Phew.

Anyway, best wishes!!