Menu

I wish ballet,piano,gymnastics were cheaper

I wish my kids could do all of this. sure, i could ASK dh and he would find the money, but we dont have it. I think DD would LOVE ballet and asked to learn to play the violin sooo many times, but its not doable :(gosh even buying a violin would break the bank :(

Melissa,

First :grouphug::grouphug:

I feel you. It is hard. Sometimes you can get creative with things. Dh found a violin [not great] cheap $20 I think on craigslist. Freecycle has also been a boon for us.

As for lessons. They are expensive, but again, sometimes you can find them cheaper by a university.

However, your children are young. Dd didn't start piano until she was almost 8. Then when we moved she stopped for 1 1/2 years. We had no piano and could not afford lessons even if we had one. This year we started back. It feels like she never stopped. At her recital, her teacher said hers was the best performance.

I'm sorry money is so tight, I hope that it won't always be the case, for now can you check out videos at the library. How to videos on dancing and or violin? Maybe videos of ballets and concerts.

Any chance that some of those things are offered through your local (city or county) parks and rec department? Sometimes those classes are *significantly* cheaper than classes through private individuals or companies. The instruction can vary quite a bit, but sometimes there are even classes taught by teachers from those same more expensive schools -- they see teaching at the Rec as a way of giving back to the community *and* as a way of encouraging new kids toward their school.

Also, if you find a place with classes that you *can* afford, ask around about used equipment, clothing, etc. Often times families are perfectly willing to donate outgrown shoes or other things to a community bin to be given out to others -- though sometimes you might have to start such a system yourself.

As for musical instruments, renting is pretty standard -- especially with something like a violin, where a child will go through several sizes as they grow.

I'm not trying to say your child *needs* any of these things. And given how little she is, I would probably lean more towards setting aside a piggy bank for classes she wants when she's older, instead of financing classes now...

*But* there may also be some ways to find less expensive classes, or cut the cost of some of the materials she might need along the way. Don't simply assume you can't afford to do any "extras" with her. Figure out what you can afford (and I would wait a few years and save in the mean time), and then see if you can make something work that fits that budget.

In addition to the Parks and Rec center, you might check any local college campuses (especially community colleges), or at Boys and Girls Clubs in your area...

It's so costly.

Our city ballet school offers several free spots yearly. I don't know if that is possible for you.

We rent instruments for younger children and were able to purchase some used instruments as the children got older. We found our piano on Craig's list for free a number of years ago. It's not perfect, but it's been good to us, esp when the children were younger. (A keyboard is much cheaper than a piano). A local music school might have leads on rentals or used instruments. We found a wonderful drum set through ours. It was a fraction the price of a new one. The person who sold it was going to college (music major) and was going to upgrade when he got to school).

Maybe put a note on Craig's List. There are generous people out there, and perhaps you could be so blessed?

Could you barter services? Babysitting for music, or housecleaning for art?

Our town offers very low cost or free (depending on income) summer tennis, dance, and sailing lessons. Our schools offer free or very low cost music, computer and art classes in summer. It's really not the same as school. It's just for one or two classes-- not a whole day.

Our city Y has low cost and free sports programming, including gymnastics. It's worth a look. I did the swim and gym parent classes when my kids were babes and we had a lot of fun.

Good luck. It's all so costly and only becomes more so as children get older. (And I know lots of folks see no value or are not interested in outsourcing this way, so maybe post another thread asking about that? I know our hsing group sometimes offers cheaper programming that is very nice).

Edited by LibraryLover

A lot of communities have programs in place that will help with funding so that kids from lower income families can participate in community sports programs.. can you find out if there's anything like that in your area? [is there any type of 'parent resource center' in your town? That type of place usually knows about these programs]

As well, some programs will give you a reduced rate in exchange for volunteering some of your own time ~ it might be with fundraising, coaching, etc, or even doing things like cleaning the facility.

Sometimes, a program will let you pay the fees in small installments. Some will even waive fees completely because they believe that every child should have the chance to take part - our dd13 participates in a youth choir and it's the director's policy that they *will not* turn down a child who shows promise & truly wants to participate. Sometimes they make these installment or fee waiving policies clear; sometimes you have to ask if there's any options ~ I know it can be hard to ask about things like that, but the worst that someone can do is say no, right? ;)

ETA: Check with local churches as well ~ dd13 plays in a hockey league run through one here and their fees are much more reasonable (and again, they will often make arrangements with you for payment installments or sponsorships) -- and the program isn't as crazy competitive as Minor Hockey and open to *all* skill levels/abilities.

Edited by fivetails

I wish my kids could do all of this. sure, i could ASK dh and he would find the money, but we dont have it. I think DD would LOVE ballet and asked to learn to play the violin sooo many times, but its not doable :(gosh even buying a violin would break the bank :(

I totally understand. My two aren't doing any extra as we simply don't have the money for it. There is a lady in our church that has self defince lessons and only charges $25 per child per month. I would love for them to take this but........

Maybe next year.

We've been there too with ds over martial arts and other activities. We've done better with rec leagues for sports or Upward has basketball and cheerleading. We find things that have a one time expense work best for our budget.

We joined 4h this year and that has been inexpensive so far.

:grouphug:

We are also struggling. Dd took ballet and tap from the ages of 3-6 when we lived overseas and it was much cheaper. Now that we live stateside again, not only can I not afford the lessons, but I don't even have a way to get her there. :( My oldest wants to do sports, my next oldest would like to volunteer at the zoo. I have an outgoing 3yo that I'm sure would love to do some kind of activity with other kids but I can rarely get our only vehicle from dh so we can do free park days with our homeschool group. (And they never choose to meet at the park that is walking distance from our house no matter how many times I suggest it. :angry: ) I'm so sad that we just can't seem to afford anything more than a roof over heads and food on our plates, which I am thankful for that but it's still hard to never seem to able to do more when you were once able to. Sigh.

Why not get a basic gymnastics or ballet book from the library and have your very own lesson at home. You could make a really special time of it. Make it just like a class, get some music at the library too. My DD loves her ballet and gym books and is always trying new things from them. To be honest the teachers worry about technique after they have the basics, so you are not going to mess her up in any way by playing around with it now. You could have you very own recital and invite relatives and friends. Leotards are not difficult to sew or you could probably find one for only a few dollars at a 2nd hand store.

If you really want her to have these opportunities, you'll have to see if you can raise money in some way. Could you look for a way to earn $100 a month by babysitting, pet walking, house cleaning etc.?

Babysitting special needs kids is a great way to earn money. I pay about $12/hour for babysitting and only use adults that I know can handle my kids. There are some training programs available through ABA programs or local autism societies that will teach you the basics and put you on their list of providers.

You could start a Fine Arts Preschool club.

Put up a flyer at your library, ask the librarians if you could meet there, and go with it. Call local artists (performers, painters, crafters, etc.) and ask if they would be donate time to be guest speakers. Bring paints, crayons, dress up costumes, whatever you and the other moms can afford, and make it fun. Ask the librarians about organizing small performances or attend recitals from small piano/violin music studios around town.

I am bold enough to call a local teacher and let them know that I have a young student not ready for lessons but interested in coming to recitals to watch. You can accomplish a lot without actually having the instrument/formal lessons with a child as young as yours.

Suzuki violin starts by teaching the violin parts, respect for the instrument, and listening listening listening to the cd. You can do a lot of that now without a violin. See if the library has the cd for starters. Watch Craig's List for free instruments or place an ad yourself.

Have you called and asked if they would barter anything? I know we do music classes and between payments for the remainder she is willing to have DH and I do extra work. Totally worth it. You can always ask if they need help painting, cleaning, etc. I'm sure everyone that owns a buisness like this needs some extra hands and would love to trade it out in class rather than having to hiring someone else :)

I am going to do DD in a gymnastics class and plan on asking the woman that runs it if she would let me do some deep cleaning each time in exchange for classes, the worst they can say is no!

You might be able to borrow/rent an instrument cheaply from another family. Put the word out through your HS group and at the local music shop. You might also find a teen willing to offer beginner instruction at a low cost.

Gymnastics is expensive, no doubt. Our local studio has a drop-in program for 5 and under on Friday afternoons. It is 6.00/hour for supervised 'free play' on age appropriate equipment. Our old studio had preschool hour once a week. It was more expensive, maybe ten or twelve dollars for an hour, but to make it a special thing just once a month was affordable for us.

Our oldest son staggers his extracurriculars since they are so expensive. He does music during the traditional school year and art during the summer. Maybe you could swing something like that?

I've seen inexpensive karate and dance lessons through both the YMCA and county parks and rec...maybe you could find a class that would interest your daughter.

You might be able to attend some recitals for free if inquire through your local music shop, schools, universities/colleges, etc. My kids enjoy this and we make a grand affair of it, dressing formally and having a special meal afterwards.

Here are a few ideas that I've seen work:

I have a few friends that ask for money towards lessons from their relatives for their child's birthday and Christmas presents.

I have one friend whose daughter is taking guitar lessons with another girl so they can split the cost of the private lesson.

I know another lady who started teaching the preschool gymnastics class in trade for her girls' gymnastics lessons. (Since the preschool class is mostly doing very basic gymnastics and motor skills, I don't think she had to have a lot of experience to get the job.)

I also know our homeschool group works with different individuals and gyms to provide low cost homeschool classes in ballet, gymnastics, PE, swimming, karate, etc. Maybe you could get together with other homeschoolers in your area and see if you can make similar deals. Strength in numbers, right?

Just some thoughts. Best of luck.

I think classes for 4 year olds are not very productive anyway. Your daughter could probably learn the same amount of ballet skills from wearing a leotard and ballet slippers dancing around your living room than she would at class.

This is not always the case, although home practice with mom is great.

It depends more on the program than the age of the chid. Some children will not learn anything in a dance class ever. :) Others can be very skilled at age 3. Depends on how the program is structured and how the child responds to training.

However, it is NEVER too late to learn how to dance. I know people who did not learn to dance until 16 and went on to have a professional career.

One option no one has mentioned yet is to check into whether your area/state has a parent partnership program or virtual academy with available monies for extra-curriculars.

If there is, you will have to decide whether they fit your philosophy of homeschooling - students are usually considered public school students, and you have to count hours and write a weekly report under the supervision of a coordinator, but if you are willing to do that, they often have funds you can use to pay for lessons. Our local parent partnership is one option we are considering for next year with the intention of funding piano lessons.

Why not get a basic gymnastics or ballet book from the library and have your very own lesson at home. You could make a really special time of it. Make it just like a class, get some music at the library too. My DD loves her ballet and gym books and is always trying new things from them. To be honest the teachers worry about technique after they have the basics, so you are not going to mess her up in any way by playing around with it now. You could have you very own recital and invite relatives and friends. Leotards are not difficult to sew or you could probably find one for only a few dollars at a 2nd hand store.

There are some good ballet videos/DVDs out there. Maybe your library has a copy of them? You could try:

Bella Dancerella: Let's Dance! is a good introductory ballet class. (They now have Swan Lake Bella Dancerella Home Ballet Studio, but I have not seen it).

Learn Nutcracker Ballet Dances with Me was a good for a child who has already taken some ballet or done one of the other ballet videos first.

Rosemary Boross has many videos/DVDs available. Some, like A Fantasy Garden Ballet Class, are not for beginners and have very little, if any, dialogue about what you are supposed to do. The book Ballet Beginnings for Children: Pre-School Movement Fundamentals for Ages 3 and 4 (Bk. 1) explains the steps for A Fantasy Garden Ballet Class. I believe her other DVDs like Baby Ballet and I'm a Ballerina Now are meant for beginners. She also has DVDs for other genres of dance like Land of Sweet Taps, Tot Tap, and Junior Jazz.

I have not checked out Prima Princessa Presents Swan Lake, but it probably is a good follow up for one of the other videos.

It depends more on the program than the age of the chid. Some children will not learn anything in a dance class ever. :) Others can be very skilled at age 3. Depends on how the program is structured and how the child responds to training.

I agree about it depending on the program and the child. When my daughter was an older four she really, really wanted to do ballet, and only ballet. The studio we were interested in only offered a class with a mix of dance forms but because her interest was so great they allowed me to enroll her in the ballet class with seven year olds. She was attentive, worked hard and was able to keep up--in fact now in 5th grade dances with the senior dance company.

Bartering can help also. I own a dance academy and even bartered a homebirth midwife for my #4 child's birth for dance lessons. :) Never hurts to ask.

I know a family that cleans the dance studio weekly in exchange for lessons.

Another creative idea--when my daughter took up a band instrument from the start she appeared to be a very promising student so I mentioned it to one of the band directors. She suggested speaking with the high school director as in our district National Honor Society candidates/members need a certain number of volunteer hours each year.

Having said all of that, music and dance lessons is the area in our budget that is so important to our kids that we've always somehow managed. This school year what we shell out per month for dance, band, and associated costs will average as much as our mortgage. I know this won't go for everyone but if you would have asked me five years ago if we could have done it on our income I would have said absolutely not, but somehow we've been able to pull it off.

We joined a public homeschool charter school that gives money to pay for piano lessons. I know people have different views of whether this is "really" homeschooling, and whether this money should go to sports and music lessons, but there it is. We do meet with the charter school teacher once per month, give her work samples, and this year is the first year he will need to do standardized testing (2nd grade). In return for that we get money to spend on curriculum and classes through approved vendors. All of our money goes to his piano teacher, and we have to pay for a couple of months in winter and for the summer, also for books ($30 every six months) and to rent the piano ($60/month for a digital piano). The first six months he used a $100 keyboard. For a younger child with shorter lessons the money may cover the lessons entirely. This has been great for our family, my son loves meeting with the teacher, the requirements don't interfere with us using whatever level of whatever curriculum we want (though you would have to use religious curriculum separately), and we would not be able to afford these lessons without doing this.