Menu

Do you love your Kindle? Or not?

Tell me what you think about your Kindle, please.

My birthday is coming up. I think I want one. But I don't know anyone who owns one!

Does it feel flimsy? Do you worry that you'll break it? It looks flimsy to me.

Have you been able to 'find' the books you want?

Was it worth the money? Do you miss your old-fashioned books?

I'm all 'ears.'

Thanks!

I love, love, love, LOVE my Kindle.

I thought I would like it--my Mom has one, so I was able to look at hers over Thanksgiving.

It doesn't feel flimsy at all. It's thin and lightweight, but feels quite sturdy. I don't have any sort of case yet, so I'm just keeping it in the box it came in for now.

I've been able to find all sorts of books. Most all of the Classics you can get for free. I haven't purchased a book yet, but I've got several free books on there already.

I find it easier to read than an actual book. I can sit it on the counter/table and read while I do something else with my hands because I don't have to hold my place in the book, and I can increase the font size so I can see it. I'm able to do things like make the bed and read because I find it so much easier to keep my place on the Kindle.

I've been able to check my email on it, and also keep tabs on the Packer score on Sunday using the experimental web brower (I was on the phone with my Mom and wasn't near the computer).

I like being able to browse the bookstore anytime I like. I like being able to download samples of books before I buy.

I love it. L.O.V.E IT! I've only had it a few weeks, but I've read 9 books on it. It isn't flimsy at all and after the first day I felt like I was reading a book.

I have only been reading things by familiar authors right now - just junk, but I've browsed online and it seems that if you can't find a book as an ebook, it may not be worth having. Seriously - on the kindle best seller list last week was The Prince by Machiavelli. Not everyday reading for most people.

Watch out though - it's so easy to throw it in my purse that I find myself trying to read one more page at the stoplight. My addiction has been fed and I'm going to have to tame it soon.

I didn't know I'd love my Kindle until I got one, and now I don't know how how I went so long without it. :)

The price always seemed way too high and I thought I'd miss the physical aspect of paper. My DH surprised me with a Kindle this Christmas. I didn't ask for it but he took a chance, and it's been quite lovely. I actually like not having to hold a book and turn pages anymore. I no longer need to change my position so much to keep both hands free to hold the book and turn pages. I like being able to set it down, walk away, and always come back to the same page I was on. No more books falling on the floor and the bookmark jumping out. I really hate the smell of library books. When I smell that dirty odor, I can't help but wonder how many hands and whatnot have been on that book. And I really like not having to find room on my bookshelves for new books. With a small house, we just don't have anymore wall space to devote to bookshelves. In fact, when we moved into this house, we sold about 1,000 books on ebay. It was a sad time indeed.

So yes, the Kindle is great for me. I'd like to get another one so my family can read on it as well, without taking my Kindle time from me. :)

Oh my! I forgot about the ability to change the font. I was starting to need reading glasses and now I don't! I did buy a case for mine and it's way cool. I feel it's even easier to hold onto or prop up to have hands free.

Oh, oh! One more edit! :) Some books have a text-to-speech feature so it's like listening to a CD. It automatically reads from one page to another so the reading is smooth. And I can choose to have a female or a male voice. It's a really nice feature.

Edited by Night Elf

Oh my! I forgot about the ability to change the font. I was starting to need reading glasses and now I don't! I did buy a case for mine and it's way cool. I feel it's even easier to hold onto or prop up to have hands free.

Oh, oh! One more edit! :) Some books have a text-to-speech feature so it's like listening to a CD. It automatically reads from one page to another so the reading is smooth. And I can choose to have a female or a male voice. It's a really nice feature.

Thank you for your edits, Night Elf! You answered some of my silent questions! :D

I didn't know I'd love my Kindle until I got one, and now I don't know how how I went so long without it. :)

The price always seemed way too high and I thought I'd miss the physical aspect of paper. My DH surprised me with a Kindle this Christmas. I didn't ask for it but he took a chance, and it's been quite lovely. I actually like not having to hold a book and turn pages anymore. I no longer need to change my position so much to keep both hands free to hold the book and turn pages. I like being able to set it down, walk away, and always come back to the same page I was on. No more books falling on the floor and the bookmark jumping out. I really hate the smell of library books. When I smell that dirty odor, I can't help but wonder how many hands and whatnot have been on that book. And I really like not having to find room on my bookshelves for new books. With a small house, we just don't have anymore wall space to devote to bookshelves. In fact, when we moved into this house, we sold about 1,000 books on ebay. It was a sad time indeed.

So yes, the Kindle is great for me. I'd like to get another one so my family can read on it as well, without taking my Kindle time from me. :)

I understand the sadness of running out of book space. We just got rid of an entire bookshelf to make space for a larger, much-needed desk. It's what got me thinking about a Kindle.

Thanks for this thread! I love the physical aspect of a book and my husband has been trying to talk me into a Kindle for over a year now, but I just keep resisting...it just seems "not right" to me. I can understand his frustration though--"We have to buy another bookshelf?" or "If you had a Kindle, you wouldn't need to make this crazy library trip to return that book before it was overdue..."

So you seriously don't miss that actual book? I'm having a hard time with that...ha ha.

But...but...you can't smell the book, you cannot pick it up and show it to your grandchild and tell them that you read it when you were his/her age. The pages won't yellow and all the smudges and tears that become the "history" of a book won't be there????;)

But...but...you can't smell the book, you cannot pick it up and show it to your grandchild and tell them that you read it when you were his/her age. The pages won't yellow and all the smudges and tears that become the "history" of a book won't be there????;)

eww.. :) The books we have from my MIL's childhood are impossible to read. They are too brittle and literally break when turning pages. My DH's books from childhood are just uninteresting. He has always been a technical reader. :tongue_smilie: The ones I loved are still available in the bookstores.

I'm another DH who has been pushing the idea of a Kindle toward MomsintheGarden. Here's the list of drawbacks she sees:

- Cannot resell a book.

- Cannot give away a book when done with it (to charity, family or friends).

- Cannot buy just one copy for a group. Specifically, cannot buy one for the oldest child and pass it down. (A loan feature like on the Nook might help here, but I read you can only do that once and for 2 weeks at a time.)

- Does not have a backlight for reading in the dark. (She often uses a booklight.)

- Most of the types of books she reads are not available, such as most homeschooling materials, textbooks, etc.

I still like the idea of a Kindle or Nook for reading freely-available books, but it does not seem to tip the scales for her.

ETA: - Also cannot purchase a used book.

Edited by RegGuheert

Our grandkids will probably not ever hold real books. My kids have a hard enough time remembering music before mp3 downloads - VHS movies, what's that? Technology will eventually take over it all!

ETA: This solves some problems for a dear friend of mine who won't use the library because - what if, just what if someone read a book while they were in the bathroom. *GASP* She won't go to used bookstores either.

I can't tell you how much I love my Kindle. It's amazing. I do think I purchase more books than ever now so it definitely does feed the addiction. I think the Kindle encourages me to try new authors because of the download a sample feature. There are also lots of opportunites for free books. I now prefer to read on the Kindle if possible. It's like having a bookstore in your hands. Don't miss books at all.

Tori

for an Apple islate or itablet IF you have the money. The Apple product will probably be much more expensive than a Kindle. Read about it: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/04/arts/04iht-design4.html

:iagree: This is what I am doing!! I REALLY want to see what Apple is going to come out with before I commit myself to a Kindle. I really REALLY like my iPhone and I can't wait to see what their new gizmo, err tool, will do.

for an Apple islate or itablet IF you have the money. The Apple product will probably be much more expensive than a Kindle. Read about it: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/04/arts/04iht-design4.html

That would be my advice too. I love, love, love my Kindle... but I can see possibly loving an iSlate even more... :001_smile:

The rumor is that they will announce it sometime later this month. Might be worth waiting just to see what features it has and what the price will be!

Any guesses about what an iSlate would cost?

I don't know if I'd want to pay for all the slick 'tablet computer' bells and whistles... that might feel more like buying a new laptop than an 'e-reader.' And I don't have the money for that.

(Funny how all these new terms are developing before our very eyes, isn't it? E-reader, iSlate, 'tablet' computer...technology changes so fast I can't keep up with the lingo! Makes me feel like a little old lady. :001_huh:)

I like, love, in love, adore and am passionate about my Kindle! I had little to no Interest in it before my husband surprised me with one for our anniversary last March. I (we) love our books. It just didn't seem like something I'd like. I was wring and can admit it. :)

As far as sharing goes, my husband and I both have a Kindle and one Amazon account. Anything he buys or downloads I can for free. Also if you want to share a book while more than one person reads, the Kindle can hold multiple bookmarks for one book.

Any questions I would be happy to help!

Thanks for this thread! I love the physical aspect of a book and my husband has been trying to talk me into a Kindle for over a year now, but I just keep resisting...it just seems "not right" to me. I can understand his frustration though--"We have to buy another bookshelf?" or "If you had a Kindle, you wouldn't need to make this crazy library trip to return that book before it was overdue..."

So you seriously don't miss that actual book? I'm having a hard time with that...ha ha.

No, not for my reading. Quite the opposite, really--I've found myself wishing I had Life of Fred, History of the Ancient World, and The Well Trained Mind on my Kindle. The only book I don't think I want on the Kindle is my Bible, because I like being able to easily flip around in it, and I also write in it at times (a rare practice for me).

I bought 2 books at Barnes & Noble the other day--The Phantom Tollbooth for our family read aloud, and Bartholomew's Passage for next Christmas :D. I'll continue to buy physical copies of our family read alouds, school reading, and books for the boys, so I'll still get time with real books.

Any guesses about what an iSlate would cost?
I'll guess! :D

Since this is coming from Steve Jobs, I will go on the record and predict that it will cost more than a Kindle or Nook, books will cost more than a Kindle or Nook and the licensing will be more restrictive than the Kindle or Nook.

I also predict that it will be better in many ways than the existing products on the market.

But hey, that's just a guess.

Another Kindle lover here. I got mine last October and it's like an extension of my body, an additonal limb! :D I love that I can bring dozens of books with me wherever I wish. I tend to have multiple books going at a time and this makes it easier to go from one book to the other. I don't miss the physicality of books even the tiniest bit. On the contrary, it's like having every book in the ideal size, weight, font size and as a hardback. I have the leather cover for mine, so it opens up just like a leather-bound, hardback book. It keeps a running percentage of where you are in the book, which is a neat little tidbit - 38% read; 65% read, etc. Always bookmarked correctly, never getting pulled out by a curious child who wanted to feel the fringe on my bookmark. :glare: Built-in dictionary, a great help for challenging books. My dd is reading Pride and Prejudice on my Kindle and I love that she can immediately look up the meaning of a word as she goes.

I understand how people say you can't pass the book on or re-sell it, but I think that is kind of a perk. Because then I don't have to figure out what to do/how to get rid of books I'm finished with. As much as I love books, I'm sick to death of moving them around, getting rid of them, finding more space to place them and so on. My kindle books don't cause that problem. They are there if I want them and invisible if I don't.

My husband got mine for me and he says that he definitely doesn't see it as a replacement for regular books, just a supplement. So even if I get a classic for free (such as Pride and Prejudice) on the Kindle, he doesn't want me to get rid of my hard copy because there is something about browsing a shelf of books to pick something to read.

Also, I love my Wall Street Journal subscription. No newspaper to get rid of and it is ready for me as soon as I wake up, so I can read it before I even get out of bed.

My husband got mine for me and he says that he definitely doesn't see it as a replacement for regular books, just a supplement. So even if I get a classic for free (such as Pride and Prejudice) on the Kindle, he doesn't want me to get rid of my hard copy because there is something about browsing a shelf of books to pick something to read.

I also like to keep hard copies of my favorites; however it is freeing up shelf space because I don't feel compelled to keep everything.

I absolutely love my Kindle 2. It's so easy to browse, whether it's online or on the Kindle itself. And I love that as soon as I purchase something, it's there instantly! Our local paper is available, and I've also been reading the NY Times. I was never much of a newspaper person because the paper and ink made me sneeze and my hands itch. I love being able to read them on the Kindle. I've downloaded tons of free books, mostly classics. I would not recommend highly graphic books - I purchased an exercise book and decided it would be better in print. It is a little slippery to hold onto, so I would definitely recommend a cover or sleeve, and also a light. I previously owned an ebook reader that was backlit, and I honestly prefer reading on the Kindle to a backlit reader. It is much more like paper and doesn't bother my eyes like the older ebook readers did. I really love the built in dictionary and I have been using it constantly, especially while reading some classics. It has been extremely helpful, and I love that it has word origins also. I've had some kind of ebook reader for the last 9 yrs, plus I also will read on my phone (Blackberry) and this is hands down my favorite.

I'm another DH who has been pushing the idea of a Kindle toward MomsintheGarden. Here's the list of drawbacks she sees:

- Cannot resell a book.

- Cannot give away a book when done with it (to charity, family or friends).

- Cannot buy just one copy for a group. Specifically, cannot buy one for the oldest child and pass it down. (A loan feature like on the Nook might help here, but I read you can only do that once and for 2 weeks at a time.)

- Does not have a backlight for reading in the dark. (She often uses a booklight.)

- Most of the types of books she reads are not available, such as most homeschooling materials, textbooks, etc.

I still like the idea of a Kindle or Nook for reading freely-available books, but it does not seem to tip the scales for her.

ETA: - Also cannot purchase a used book.

It's not backlit??? How do people read in the dark? I have the Kindle iphone app and I've read a few things on it (never a whole book though, I have to enlarge the text and it's a pain to scroll around the page). I was thinking about getting a Kindle someday when/if we had the money, but can't believe for that price it's not backlit.

It's not backlit??? How do people read in the dark? I have the Kindle iphone app and I've read a few things on it (never a whole book though, I have to enlarge the text and it's a pain to scroll around the page). I was thinking about getting a Kindle someday when/if we had the money, but can't believe for that price it's not backlit.

I never would have gotten a Kindle if it were backlit. Reading my Kindle is very similar to reading a book. There is no eyestrain like you get from staring at a computer screen. And when you are out in the sun, there is no glare, so you can still see the screen perfectly. And, as a side benefit, the battery life would not be nearly so long if the screen were backlit.

And, if I find I need something backlit (for some reason I don't have any light?), I can start reading the books on my iPhone. The Kindle software will sync where I am on my Kindle, and then if I open the Kindle app on my iPhone, it will bring me to the same place.

Like Laurel said, the reflective screen of the Kindle (and other e-readers, like the Sony) is a design feature. I can read my Kindle in bright sunlight, which is great on those long car trips, or while lounging in the hammock - - my computer's backlit screen is useless in those situations!

I love my Kindle, and my dd11 does also.

I have only been reading things by familiar authors right now - just junk, but I've browsed online and it seems that if you can't find a book as an ebook, it may not be worth having.
:blink: When you say that, do you do it using the best Big Brother voice you can muster? Seriously, the ability to centrally limit and control what people are allowed to read is one of the biggest threats to freedom we could possibly have. When Amazon made their first public demonstration of their authority to REMOVE any book they wanted from ALL Kindles, they didn't choose just any book, they chose 1984!

As far as sharing goes, my husband and I both have a Kindle and one Amazon account. Anything he buys or downloads I can for free. Also if you want to share a book while more than one person reads, the Kindle can hold multiple bookmarks for one book.
Thanks! I had forgotten about that! How many Kindles can share books within an account?
I've downloaded tons of free books, mostly classics. I would not recommend highly graphic books - I purchased an exercise book and decided it would be better in print.
I'm a little confused about the graphics limitations of the Kindle. I know the Kindle can be used for web browsing, so I assume it has full black-and-white graphics capabilities. I also know that I have an eReader on my Android phone called FBReader which handles EPUB document format with illustrations. Can someone please detail what graphics Kindle can and cannot handle? Are the limitations functions of the device, the available document formats, or both?
It is a little slippery to hold onto, so I would definitely recommend a cover or sleeve, and also a light. I previously owned an ebook reader that was backlit, and I honestly prefer reading on the Kindle to a backlit reader. It is much more like paper and doesn't bother my eyes like the older ebook readers did.
I agree and understand that the lack of a *back*light is a feature. I should have just said "light" in my previous post. So, given we are discussing the need for some sort of light for reading in the dark, what is available that people like? Most booklights I've seen are kludgy, at best. (MomsintheGarden's last attempt was a LightWedge and she hated it because it got smeared up easily, making it hard to read since you were looking through the pane.)

Thanks to all for this discussion. :thumbup: The details are very important in making this purchasing decision!

:blink: When you say that, do you do it using the best Big Brother voice you can muster? Seriously, the ability to centrally limit and control what people are allowed to read is one of the biggest threats to freedom we could possibly have. When Amazon made their first public demonstration of their authority to REMOVE any book they wanted from ALL Kindles, they didn't choose just any book, they chose 1984!

Alright, take a deep breath and calm thyself man! I'm saying - from and entertainment perspective, which is all I've used my kindle for in the whole 10 days I've had it, you should be able to find something worth reading. There is a huge selection of books to choose from and if you can't find something to ENTERTAIN yourself with, give up.

I don't view the kindle as something that will take the place of every book in my life. My comments about technology taking over were kind of tongue-in-cheek. When I'm actively studying a topic, of course I will go to the library or the bookstore if a book is not available on the kindle. However, I no longer have a stack of books beside my bed that threatens to topple over onto my head at night because I have this nice, neat little kindle with my 15 books all neatly put in one little place. I love it.

Thanks! I had forgotten about that! How many Kindles can share books within an account?I'm a little confused about the graphics limitations of the Kindle. I know the Kindle can be used for web browsing, so I assume it has full black-and-white graphics capabilities. I also know that I have an eReader on my Android phone called FBReader which handles EPUB document format with illustrations. Can someone please detail what graphics Kindle can and cannot handle? Are the limitations functions of the device, the available document formats, or both?I agree and understand that the lack of a *back*light is a feature. I should have just said "light" in my previous post. So, given we are discussing the need for some sort of light for reading in the dark, what is available that people like? Most booklights I've seen are kludgy, at best. (MomsintheGarden's last attempt was a LightWedge and she hated it because it got smeared up easily, making it hard to read since you were looking through the pane.)

Thanks to all for this discussion. :thumbup: The details are very important in making this purchasing decision!

I don't care for reading in the dark but my dh uses a clip-on booklight for his Kindle. You do get good detailed black and white graphics if they are included in the edition of the book you have downloaded. You should really try to see one for yourself - ask around, maybe someone you know got one for Christmas.

Also just a note on the book they deleted; I think Amazon handled it the wrong way (mass deleting without notice), but it was a copyright issue, not a demonstration of power. There are more books available every day.

ETA: I know you can share books on at least 4 devices (possibly more); they all need to be registered to the same person as in Harriet's Kindle, Harriet's 2nd Kindle, Harriet's 3rd Kindle, etc.

Edited by Dana in OR

I had never before considered getting an electronic book reader. I had heard somewhat about them, but after taking thought on the matter I marshaled the arguments in my mind against buying one: they were too expensive, the screen was too small, the necessity of recharging the battery was likely too cumbersome, the device itself was likely to be fragile and break as many small electronic devices are wont to do, the electronic books cost nearly as much as the physical copies and therefore represented a poor value, and the e-books could not be shared, loaned, sold, or in any way separated from the device. In other words, I concluded that they were frivolous gadgets - in no way a proper substitute for actual books.

Receiving a Kindle for Christmas revised my opinion somewhat. After having had a chance to use it for a couple of weeks, I now think that in some ways it is more convenient than a real book. I was able to download and read many works in the public domain that I had wanted to read in the past, but had foregone because of the difficulty and inconvenience of reading on the computer screen and the prohibitive cost and labor of printing a physical copy. As mentioned earlier, a Kindle takes far less space in your home than a shelf of books does, which makes it easier to read your collection no matter where you happen to be; you do not have to rise from your bed or chair if you decide you want to begin reading another book. The screen is just as easy to read as a regular book. The battery will power your Kindle for a week of reading if you turn off the wireless transmitter, and the device itself seems sturdily built and likely to last for several years of regular use if not abused.

However, Kindle does not completely triumph over real books. I was not at all satisfied with the quality of many of free books that I downloaded. Many were improperly or irregularly formatted and needed consistent paragraph spacing or justification and the inclusion of navigational aids to better read on the small screen. The OCR software used to digitize the texts also introduced several spelling and punctuation errors. When you buy a physical book, the editor usually clears up these problems, but if you do not choose to tolerate these types of shortcomings you have to act as your own editor, and it can sometimes be a tedious job. Disappointingly, from what I have read on other forums, these problems are not limited to the free works and can sometimes be found in books that you purchase from Amazon. There is no way to correct these errors in the copyrighted works unless you first break the encryption(which is possible), but most people will not choose to employ such methods.

Even with the additional burden of editing everything I read - which I do of my own choosing and is in no way required for everyone - I am glad I received a Kindle, for by it I have read more books in the past two weeks than I have in the six months prior.

--Oh yes, one more thing, the built-in dictionary is a WONDERFUL feature, and is useful beyond belief.

Edited by Jaxon

"Thanks! I had forgotten about that! How many Kindles can share books within an account?"

We have books on my Kindle, Tony's Kindle, his iPhone, my iPhone and our 13yr old's iPod Touch. So there are at least 5 items attached to our account. I don't know what the limit is or restrictions. We haven't run into any yet. :)

Hope that helps. :)

P.S. I agree on the huge benefit of the instant dictionary. LOVE it! Love the convenience of looking up words I don't know.

Another Kindle lover here!

My husband thought I should have one, I never thought about it, as they were quite expensive, but he surprised me the day Kindle 2 came out by getting it for my birthday! Now I can't imagine life without Kindle.

I downloaded a bunch of classics for free. I really read reviews to see if the Kindle versions are worth the download. Right now I'm reading Treasure Island to the family.

I now have the Kindle 2, Kindle for the iPhone, Kindle on 3 PCs... I have easy access to my books anywhere!

Pros

• Getting a book within mere seconds of thinking about it!
  • I have in my hands a potential of over 1,500 books
  • Tons of free books to download
  • Built-in dictionary, allows me to look up any word with a few quick flicks of the thumb
  • I can highlight, add notes, and bookmark for easy reference later (been using this a lot now)
  • Very sturdy. I clip a little light on it to read in the dark if needed.
  • Text-to-voice - I use sometimes, but it isn't as perfect as a real audio-book that you pay tons of money for.

Cons

• Not backlit, but if it was, it would be a strain on the eyes. When traveling in the car (as a passenger), I will switch to my Kindle for the iPhone which is backlit and then I remember that this feature would be hurting my eyes. :)
  • No colorful illustrations - but I don't read many books like that myself. I will buy physical books in that case.
  • Cannot sell the books (I sell my books on Amazon every few years to make room for more.) But the positive side of that is that Kindle books are more environmentally friendly!

I will still buy physical books (and do so pretty much every day). I have an uncontrollable addiction to Amazon and any other bookstore.

Amazon did not randomly choose to delete a book from all Kindles to show that they could. They were contacted Houghton-Mifflin, who holds the rights to "1984", because the Kindle editions being sold on Amazon were not legal. They were being sold by an independent publisher who did not hold the rights to the book. Amazon was withdrawing illegal copies of a book being sold on their site, not trying to control what Kindle readers can and cannot read.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/18/technology/companies/18amazon.html

Edited by prairie rose

Also just a note on the book they deleted; I think Amazon handled it the wrong way (mass deleting without notice), but it was a copyright issue, not a demonstration of power.
It was both, regardless of the motivation. I don't think it is reasonable to observe what happened and not realize that they can withhold or repossess *any* title they please for whatever reason they deem suitable.
Amazon did not randomly choose to delete a book from all Kindles to show that they could. They were contacted Houghton-Mifflin, who holds the rights to "1984", because the Kindle editions being sold on Amazon were not legal.
I'm sorry, but that does not qualify as proof that Amazon did not choose this as a demonstration vehicle. Are "1984" and "Animal Farm" the FIRST and ONLY titles about which a publisher has complained to Amazon about copyright infringement? That's possible, but highly unlikely, IMO.

Bottom line: The demonstration of this power has been made. It was made in the most poignant way possible by doing it with '1984'. There were no lasting repercussions for Amazon. In other words, the precedent is now set for further extensions of this power. IMO, there is a strong need for open-format readers to become available to decentralize the power in this area.

Amazon did not randomly choose to delete a book from all Kindles to show that they could. They were contacted Houghton-Mifflin, who holds the rights to "1984", because the Kindle editions being sold on Amazon were not legal. They were being sold by an independent publisher who did not hold the rights to the book. Amazon was withdrawing illegal copies of a book being sold on their site, not trying to control what Kindle readers can and cannot read.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/18/technology/companies/18amazon.html

I find it so sad that an entire company can get a bad reputation by even one person misinterpreting just a single statement. My sister used to forward those stupid emails that condemned everybody and their brother for inaccurate information. Every time she fowarded me one of those emails, I'd look it up online, using google and snopes, and send her links showing her email was not true. Either she stopped sending me those emails or she got wise and didn't adopt a belief based on one source.

The same thing goes for badmouthing people and sharing gossip. My reputation in my last neighborhood was ruined the first 2 weeks I lived there because one mean woman decided to tell everyone somthing that wasn't true. Everyone believed her rather than coming to me, and I spent 7 years in a neighborhood wondering why no one wanted to do things with me. I had zero friends in that neighborhood. When I moved, someone let the cat out of the bag and I spent at least a week crying about this one woman's stupidity. I love my signature.

I'm sorry, but that does not qualify as proof that Amazon did not choose this as a demonstration vehicle. Are "1984" and "Animal Farm" the FIRST and ONLY titles about which a publisher has complained to Amazon about copyright infringement? That's possible, but highly unlikely, IMO.

Bottom line: The demonstration of this power has been made. It was made in the most poignant way possible by doing it with '1984'. There were no lasting repercussions for Amazon. In other words, the precedent is now set for further extensions of this power. IMO, there is a strong need for open-format readers to become available to decentralize the power in this area.

I hadn't heard about this incident until this thread. The first thought that went through my mind was, "Surely, no self-preserving publisher or Amazon executive is going to choose "1984" for this demonstration" Sure enough, with surprisingly little effort, I found that it was not a demonstration that they could, they were trying to do the right thing by the publisher. Even Amazon has stated that, in hindsight, they probably approached the problem the wrong way and will approach the problem differently in the future. Is "1984" the first one that has been disputed? More than likely not, but by unfortunate coincidence it is the first one that Amazon was forced to act on.

I don't own a Kindle (yet) and I would be highly upset that my Kindle books were recalled but, if my copy of a book electronic or otherwise were illegal, I would completely understand and surrender my copy. Blame Amazon if you want, because I think we are just going to have disagree on this one, but I don't. If anyone is to blame, I'd say it's the publisher who tried to sell the book illegally.

I hadn't heard about this incident until this thread. The first thought that went through my mind was, "Surely, no self-preserving publisher or Amazon executive is going to choose "1984" for this demonstration" Sure enough, with surprisingly little effort, I found that it was not a demonstration that they could, they were trying to do the right thing by the publisher. Even Amazon has stated that, in hindsight, they probably approached the problem the wrong way and will approach the problem differently in the future. Is "1984" the first one that has been disputed? More than likely not, but by unfortunate coincidence it is the first one that Amazon was forced to act on.

I don't own a Kindle (yet) and I would be highly upset that my Kindle books were recalled but, if my copy of a book electronic or otherwise were illegal, I would completely understand and surrender my copy. Blame Amazon if you want, because I think we are just going to have disagree on this one, but I don't. If anyone is to blame, I'd say it's the publisher who tried to sell the book illegally.

I'm with you on all points except that I consider their motivation to be suspect. But I will ask two further questions: 1) Are the rights of the publisher more important than the rights of the individuals who purchased the book? From the link you provided:
Amazon’s published terms of service agreement for the Kindle does not appear to give the company the right to delete purchases after they have been made. It says Amazon grants customers the right to keep a “permanent copy of the applicable digital content.”

Retailers of physical goods cannot, of course, force their way into a customer’s home to take back a purchase, no matter how bootlegged it turns out to be. Yet Amazon appears to maintain a unique tether to the digital content it sells for the Kindle.

2) Does Amazon have the right to delete the ORIGINAL material that an individual has generated on their Kindle? Again, from the link you provided:
Justin Gawronski, a 17-year-old from the Detroit area, was reading “1984” on his Kindle for a summer assignment and lost all his notes and annotations when the file vanished. “They didn’t just take a book back, they stole my work,” he said.
As a previous poster has said, it is possible that future generations will ONLY read material in electronic format. As such, it is imperative that OUR generation ensures that the systems that are set up today for creation and distribution of future reading materials do not permit the type of abuse of power predicted in "1984". This is not an unimaginable outcome in my mind. Edited by RegGuheert

IMO, there is a strong need for open-format readers to become available to decentralize the power in this area.

I agree with this.

I can tell you from my own experience, though, that Amazon has done what it could to make amends for that mistake. 1984 is now legally available to purchase in Kindle format. (I have a copy.)

And I purchased a suspect copy of another book... the formatting alone made it look like it was a bootleg, and sure enough- it turned out that it was an illegal copy. Instead of deleting it from my Kindle, Amazon sent me a nice email explaining the situation and gave me the choice of keeping the illegal copy or deleting it in return for a refund. It was Ray Bradbury's Something Wicked This Way Comes, and the formatting was SO bad, I had given up and dug out my tattered old paper copy to finish the story. LOL. I chose the refund of course.

So... a step in the right direction. But I do agree that open format readers are the way to go, especially assuming that the popularity of e-books and e-textbooks will continue to grow.

On my iPod Touch, I can buy Kindle books with the Kindle app, Stanza books with the Stanza app, and did I just see a Nook app on the B&N website? (It may have only been for the PC/Mac). The Touch at least allows me to purchase and read a variety of formats. In any case, I have high hopes for that rumored Apple tablet...

I was just surfing around looking for Apple Tablet vs Kindle info, and see that the rumored Apple Tablet price point is $1000. UGH! Too much. For that price, I'd just get a new laptop.

So, maybe I'll just go ahead and get the Kindle....:001_smile: