Menu

If you want your dc to memorize lists of prepositions

plain jane

My son quickly memorized the list of 28 in Easy Grammar by repeating them over and over. I was surprised about how fast he retained them and can still rattle them off.

But until you posted this I had no idea that there are actually 77 of them.

FLL has 47 of them, I believe, and Shurley is 49 :confused:. I wasn't sure if there was some sort of definitive list out there that hs'ers used. ;) What about the other 30?:confused::001_huh:

Watching the little girl in the IEW TWSS vids reminded me - when Andrew asks her how many she knows, she replies "all of them." I'm just curious if she really knows *all* of them:001_huh:, and if she does, what her mama used to teach her. :lol:

Where do you get your list from? I've been using the one from FLL1/2 but there are more prepositions than that, right? So, which lists are people using??

I'm using the preposition list I learned in high school. Our English teacher taught us by using a chant along with hand movements. I still remember them, so I will be teaching my kids.

Cindy

but to recognize what a preposition was.

You make a good point. And as my sons are older now I realize that they don't run through the chant in their head to determine if a word is a preposition, but rather do better in asking themselves what function the word has in the sentence. Memorizing facts/word lists, although we did it, has never proven advantageous for my boys, but I'm sure that others' mileage may vary.

Why?

WE ( as in me) haven't done it, but ds has.. and I too wonder. Why? As we continue even in FLL 3, I don't see him USE the memorized list.

I trust Jessie Wise and SWB completely on most things, but I'm thinking I'll not ask the memorization list of my second child.

We too will work on recognition in context.

So says the woman who just learned from this board, that a preposition isn't a preposition without an object , about which to be a proposition.

~christine in al

Lists of prepositions are not standard, because many words can be a preposition or another part of speech, depending on how they are used. So there is not one perfect list of all the prepositions. I also don't think the longest list will be the most correct list. If a word could be used as a preposition, but is only used as one 5% of the time, would you really want your dc to memorize it as a preposition. A nice list of the 30-40 words that are commonly used as prepositions would be the most valuable thing to memorize.

I find it helpful in that my son was quickly able to memorize the list, and from there quickly identify prepositions such that he started to see how a preposition is used in a sentence on his own. If memorizing them becomes painful, it is probably not the best use of one's time.

Brownie

I think that the theory behind memorizing prepositions comes from Grammar Programs like Shurley and Easy Grammar where, to dissect a sentence for its parts, you begin by eliminating prepositional phrases. If you memorize the prepositions this will, in theory, go faster and be done with greater accuracy. Sort of like memorizing a times table helps in math.

We have a grammar basics set of charts from Rainbow Resource that includes a poster of prepositions that we added to from our Easy Grammar list.

Just yesterday I entertained my kids for quite a long time by singing the helping verbs to various melodies, such as Happy Birthday.

I learned the list in 8th grade.

My sister memorized all the elements as a song when she was in 5th grade. I am not sure that she necessarily used that list, but she did enjoy doing it, and it made her feel very good to be able to accomplish it.

I'm surprised to see people wondering what the value is in memorizing the list of prepositions. This is TWTM forum, where I'd think most people would be pretty sold on the value of memory work.

I plan to have my kids memorize a list of common prepositions. IMO, the first step in recognizing "what a preposition is" is knowing what words are most commonly used as prepositions. Then, when you see that word, you can check to see whether it has an object.

Tara

I'm surprised to see people wondering what the value is in memorizing the list of prepositions.

I'm not questioning the value of memory work pe se, I'm questioning the value of memorizing prepositions when quite obviously a lot of people have problems telling a preposition from an adverb or a conjunction precisely because "it's on the preposition list, so it must be a preposition!" A part of speech is defined by how it is being used in that particular sentence. The vast majority of words in English can be used as multiple parts of speech, and I think that memorizing a list of words as fluid in their use as most prepositions gives the impression of their being intrinsically one part of speech, and confuses rather than clarifies the issue.

This is not like memorizing the times tables - it's not like 3x5=15 is going to change based on what kind of equation it's in.

I'm not questioning the value of memory work pe se, I'm questioning the value of memorizing prepositions when quite obviously a lot of people have problems telling a preposition from an adverb or a conjunction precisely because "it's on the preposition list, so it must be a preposition!" A part of speech is defined by how it is being used in that particular sentence. The vast majority of words in English can be used as multiple parts of speech, and I think that memorizing a list of words as fluid in their use as most prepositions gives the impression of their being intrinsically one part of speech, and confuses rather than clarifies the issue.

This is not like memorizing the times tables - it's not like 3x5=15 is going to change based on what kind of equation it's in.

I think that's a failure in the way they were taught the list, not in memorizing the list itself. If you simply teach them that it is a list of words that are often used as prepositions, instead of teaching them that it is a definitive list of words that must be prepositions, you solve that issue simply.

I think that's a failure in the way they were taught the list, not in memorizing the list itself. If you simply teach them that it is a list of words that are often used as prepositions, instead of teaching them that it is a definitive list of words that must be prepositions, you solve that issue simply.

:iagree:

If you know that a certain word is often a preposition, and you see it in a sentence, and it has an object, it is most likely a preposition!

Tara