Menu

Can you share what your 7th graders curriculum looks like?

teraberry

I have a 7th grader and am concerned that as he is nearing high school, I am preparing him well. It's hard for me sometimes to not have a direct comparison between him and his peers. If you can share with me what your 7th grader's schedule looks like that would be wonderful. Thanks!

Typical Day for my 7th grader (daily average unless noted otherwise):

Harp (1 hr)

Violin (1 hr)

Thinkwell Intermediate Algebra (1 hr)

Sonlight Core 6 World History/Lit (1 hr)

Spelling Work Out (5 min)

Rod & Staff English 6 (20 min)

IEW Writing Ancient History Lessons (etc.) (20 min)

So You Really Want to Learn Spanish (20 min)

SonLight Science 4 (20 min)

Story of Science (30 min/wk reading + 2 hrs/every 2 weeks experiments/activities)

FWIW, my dd gets these tasks (including both instruments) done in about 7 hours a day (8 - 3), including breaks/lunch/etc plus often 30 min or so of "homework" -- mainly if she took a lot of breaks during the day or if she's gotten behind schedule due to activities, etc.

Let's see...

Devotions--30 min.

History (SL Core 5)--30 min-1 hour

Steck Vaughn LA--10-15 min.

Jump In (writing)--30 min.

All About Spelling--15 min.

Horizons Math 6--30-60 min.

Bible Memory--5-10 min.

Reading (SL 5)--30-45 min.

Apologia General Science--45 min.

Guitar practice--30 min.

Usually that takes bt. 5-6 hours. We also do lit. read-alouds from SL core 5 at night for 30-45 min. I've also been mixing in more typing practice lately, I want him more proficient as we prep for high school. Things like writing (some basic format writing, instruction in research and notation etc...), how to write up a lab report in science, getting ready for upper level math are some of the things I'm thinking through.

Merry :-)

I'm not sure how long he spends on each - so I'll take a guess:

Math: Videotext Algebra (4 hrs/wk)

Sci: Biology with Campbell's Exploring Life plus Sonlight Sci 5 (5 hrs/wk)

IEW: SWI B and now SICC B (3 hrs/wk)

History & Reading: Sonlight Core 7 (5 hrs per week)

Misc LA: Grammar Key (done), Vocab from Classical Roots (1 hr/wk)

Foreign Language: Rosetta Stone - Spanish (2 hrs/wk)

Art & Music: Meet the Masters, Mark Kistler & Piano Lessons (3 hrs/wk plus practice each day)

Other: Field Trips, Videos (2-4 hrs/wk)

PE: Nothing formal ... did soccer in Fall and now basketball. The kids are outside alot! Yay for me!

On 2nd thought ... he's done way too early in the day for these hours to add up ... so I think they're probably a little exaggerated. :)

Edited by jlovebaker

NEM 1 and CWP 6

History of US

Ecce Romani

Paso A Paso - Spanish

Memory Work - If by Rudyard Kipling

Alternate Write With Best with writing assignments relevant to other subjects - she just finished a 500 word report on Germany

Warriner's Grammar

Spelling Workout

Prentice Hall Chemistry Books and Elemental Chemistry with a chemistry kit

Assigned reading - War of the Worlds - will start this after Christmas, she just finished the Witch of Blackbird Pond

Builidng Thinking Skills Book 1

She competes in the Geography Bee - mainly uses online games to study for this

violin - private lesson and orchestra rehearsal once a week each - 45 minutes practice each day

She plays competitive soccer in the spring a fall and swims in the summer

She did art at co-op once a week, but that session ended. Art is our downfall, I don't know what we will do now.

It usually takes 5 - 6 hours to finish each day

Karen

Our curriculum is in my sig. My 7th graders schedule looks like this:

6:00 math

7:00 breakfast

7:30 reading (sonlight)

8:15 LA: Jump In writing, Lightning Lit, Wordly Wise

10:00 Science

11:00 MWF Spanish, T/TH Logic

Lunch

12:30 History (30-45 min)

He does PE 3 afternoons/week after history. 1st semester he did typing, second semester he will be doing a computer programming class with his dad (who is a software developer). He has band Monday afternoons at a private classical school and homeschool orchestra Friday which includes both instrument class and an hour of music theory.

Just a note - he starts early by choice. He drags me out of bed in the morning. My dd starts school at 7:30 AFTER breakfast like a normal person :lol:

This is what we did in 7th grade:

Math-U-See Algebra

Life of Fred Algebra

Lightning Literature 7

Analytical Grammar - Season 2

Write Shop - 7th grade portion (used in 6th-7th-8th)

Megawords 5 & 6 & part of 7

Science Explorer Weather & Climate

Science Explorer Chemical Building Blocks

Exploration Education

History Odyssey 2 – Middle Ages

Oxford Latin 1 (our 4th calendar year of Latin ended in December and we did not continue with any foreign language)

MindBenders, Dandylion Logic, Perplexors

Art of Argument (only finished 1/2 the book)

Typing Tutor/FLVS Keyboarding

Home2Teach Fundamentals of Writing 1 & 2

Guitar

Basketball

At co-op: Public Speaking, Logic, Claymation

Average 5-6hrs a day (not including basketball)

I have a 7th grader and am concerned that as he is nearing high school, I am preparing him well. It's hard for me sometimes to not have a direct comparison between him and his peers. If you can share with me what your 7th grader's schedule looks like that would be wonderful. Thanks!

My son always has school hours, but what we do in them varies. Last year in 7th grade, his hours were supposed to be 8 to 2:30 but I admit they often were 9 to 2:30.

The changes we made in 7th were -

- no longer doing outside activities in the morning (unless a rare exception), so we had at least 3 uninterrupted hours every single day

- adding some independence, which for us was in language arts

- stepping up literature to see more than a series of events, by adding a little lit analysis (we used Progeny Press)

- doing a formal "report" (with MFW, we did a state study)

- junior hi science

- adding a formal grammar study

- expecting longer compositions, whether it was history notebooking or letter writing etc.

I kept reminding myself that 7th was a "transition" and we would vacillate between 6th & 8th grade levels all year!

Julie

P.S. Most of these weren't my own ideas, but are part of the program we use (MFW).

Chalk Dust Algebra

Spelling Workout "H" (We are on the last book of the series.)

Hake Grammar and Writing gr.7

Writing in Threes and Unjournaling

Lightning Literature gr.7 & 8

Latin

K12 History Book vol. 1 outline & summary

The Elements

World Physical Geography

Art

Piano

Vocabulary

I try for 5 hrs. of school a day, but I am not always successful. My main focus is on math and writing.

Here's what we are currently doing: (my son has just turned 12 and is a young 7th graders - but very smart.)

Math - Since Aug, he has done the Key to Fractions and Decimals and LOF Decimals and Percents. In Jan, he will start VT Alg and possibly some LOF Pre-Alg.

LA - CLE 700 Reading and LA

Meaningful Composition

Bible/History/Lit - Biblioplan Ancients/MOH/and lots of books - plus he loves to read and reads a lot of good lit from my list on his own.

Science - BJU Life Science with Homesat (Mrs. Vick)....running behind here, but he loves it.

Latin - Great Latin Adventures - excellent. We are starting this a little late, but loving it!

Guitar and Piano lessons - plays at our church.

PE once a week.

Art Class once a week.

Amazing at computers - self taught!

I think that is all. He works about 5 hours a day--sometimes 6. He is quick, though.

DS 13 tends to take 3 hours for school, excluding assigned reading. My focus is solidifying fundamentals before high school and learning study skills.

Saxon 87

Oxford Latin 1

Hey Andrew Teach Me Greek 3

Rod and Staff 5 (we switched over this year and I wanted an easy transition.)

Vocabulary for Life

Pentime Penmanship grade7

History Odyssey level 2, Early Modern

Apologia General Science

Piano

Daily:

Bible reading

LOF Fractions & Decimals and Percents as well as Dolciani's Pre-Algebra

Latin for the New Millennium

Brain Maths 2

Literature (mostly pulled from WTM) - he keeps a copy book & we discuss every Monday

Classical Writing Diogenes: Maxim & Intermediate Poetry

Memory work (Scripture memory, Latin, & IEW's poetry course)

2x/week:

The Teaching Co's High School American History course

Exploring Creation with Physical Science

fencing lessons

1x/week:

Proverbs copywork (we are aiming to copy the entire book)

Math: Foerster's Algebra with Math Without Boarders cd

LA: AG season 1 and 2, Jump In, Literature via my booklist with study guides, Spelling Mastery E & F

History: Ancients with Little History of the World and Augustus Ceasar's World

Logic: The Fallacy Detective

Geography: Mapping the World with Art (Mchenry)

Tech: Logo to Lego via TPS

Memory work: Mom directed

Art: Draw Squad online

PE: Swimming, Aikido, running, and bowling league

We have two subjects in transition as of Jan. 1. We'll be dropping Japanese with Rosetta Stone and switching to Spanish via SOS Secondary. Vocabulary is also in the air right now. Ds will be attending high school in 9th grade and Japanese isn't an option there. The Spanish is to prepare him for high school spanish in 9th grade.

The curriculum list is in my siggy - here's a bit of an idea of what a day looks like:

Every morning (together):

Morning meeting (45-90 min.) -Bible reading/study; History reading; Literature read aloud (if assigned); Literature independent reading (if assigned)

Break (20 min.) - get dressed; hygiene

Math (60-90 min/day) - Chalkdust prealgebra video; multiplication drill; practice problems/check; game (2x/wk);

Independent work on daily assignment

Grammar lesson - (15 min.) every fifth lesson

Lunch - 45 min.

Afternoon (Independent):

After lunch ds is expected to work independently from his assignment list and come to me w/questions. He has ADHD and this is a work in progress for him - he still requires a lot of "on task" reminders. He takes about two intentional breaks that last about 15 min. each while he works.

History (approx. 20-30 min. daily) - summaries; map; time line; outlining

Writing (30-50 min. daily, time varies) - there is almost always an assignment in progress - either a 3 para paper or a 5 para paper w/a day or two break between each)

Grammar (30 min.) - daily lesson/practice

Spelling (10 min.) - daily review

Science (varies widely 15-45 min.) - assigned reading; questions; activities (2 each week); labs (1 every seven school days or so)

Fine arts - Guitar (20 min. daily minimum; 30 min. lesson weekly); Art - self paced; complete 1 unit every two weeks

This is a rough structure, time wise. It is an accurate representation of what ds is expected to do on a daily basis. With his ADHD, some days are better than others. It's been a rough fall.

Edited by TechWife

Math

Saxon Algebra 1/2

Language Arts

Lightning Literature 7

Rod & Staff Grammar 7

Editor in Chief

Rod & Staff spelling word lists

VFCR & Wordly Wise 3000 (1 book per semester)

Pre-Logic

Critical Thinking Books 1 & 2 (1 book per semester)

Foreign Languages

Henle Latin I vocabulary lists

Michel Thomas Beginning Spanish CD

Science

Apologia General Science (through co-op)

History

All American History Vol 1

Most of his stuff is 7th grade, but some I cannot change.

Math:

NEM 1 and CWP 5 and starting 6

Language Arts (reading, writing, grammar)

Writing and grammar: Classical Writing Homer B

Reading: 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea by Jules Verne, Shakespeare, Plutarch, Story of the World 3, Our Island Story, Trial and Triumph, Robert Frost Poetry, Rocks and Minerals

Foreign Language:

Latin: Henle 1

Spanish: various books and tapes for ear training

Logic:

Building Thinking Skills level 3 verbal

He is still in AWANA for TnT book 4. He is almost done with book 4 and will continue some Bible lessons from there until May.

He continues to play the violin and piano.

If you notice, I included his history and science readings under readings.

Merry Christmas,

Karen

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/testimony

Here is what my 7th grader is using. I'm not sure about times as they always vary. But probably 30 min to 1 hour a day for each subject.

Bible- Kids of Courage from VOM

Typing- Typing Instructor Deluxe

English- Fix-it Grammar

Vocabulary- English From the Roots Up

Spelling- Megawords

History- SOTW Volume 4

Science- Noeo Chem II

Math- Math-u-See Advanced

Reading to Co-olerate to History

Calvin organises his own week, but his curriculum is in my siggy. I write him a list of work to do - this was a light week, as he had book group on Friday.

Laura

Woh-is that schedule for one day or a week?

What is a siggy? How does he organize his week? Does he pick the time and days, order of subjects? What do you do to make sure he completes his work, and what do you do if he does not? How do you get him to practice so many instruments, and to do it in front of you without disturbing his sibling? I sound nosy, I guess, but just curious how it works IRL and would it work for us.

Our schedule:

Devotion: About 15 minutes. Lately she is just reading/picking a couple of verses to do for copywork while I do devotion with littles.

Math: TT Pre-Algebra, one lesson per day, about 30 minutes, sometimes longer. A weak subject for her and she doesn't like the cds.

Language Arts: Sonlight Core 6 reader/writing assignments (but composition is a struggle so we stretch these), Sequential Spelling Level 7, one per day. Total takes about 45 minutes if I am not too overwhelmed and can help her.

after lunch,

History: Sonlight Core 6 using SOTW, Usborne ILEWH, and SOTW AG for mapwork. Usually takes about 30 minutes.

Science: Apologia Exploring Creation with General Science, following Sonlight's schedule as best we can, takes about 30 or up to an hour for experiements. She hates science and takes too long to study for a test and take it, so those days stretch on to eternity.

Electives: Art and Music on Fridays, following homeschool co-op and library, we do Artistic Pursuits 7, one project per week (they recommend 2), and Composers Activity Pak for music-involves very short composer research, color picture for timeline, listen to piece or watch video.

I try to get her to practice her guitar at least once per week, practice Tae Kwon Do-she has class on Thursday. She reads on her own, including an ASL instruction book.

I often feel we should be doing more. But I am frankly overwhlemed by trying to homeschool her and her little sisters, and can't figure out how to "make" them do it. We also get up later than many here seem to (start school around 9:30). So tutor me, how can I be an evil taskmaster like ya'll :D?

My DS is about to start year 7 ( in Feb, when our new school year starts).

His schedule may need some tweaking, but the plans are:

English : LLATL (green)

Math: MUS ( pre Algebra)

Spelling/ Vocab : my own words chosen

History : SOTW 2

Science: God's Design ( Plants and Weather units)

Music: guitar and keyboard ( teaching himself)

Religion(s) : Sikhism and Islam

IT: organised by DH

Geography: own curriculum ( I make it up as I go along :D)

Art: as above.

Woh-is that schedule for one day or a week?

What is a siggy? How does he organize his week? Does he pick the time and days, order of subjects? What do you do to make sure he completes his work, and what do you do if he does not? How do you get him to practice so many instruments, and to do it in front of you without disturbing his sibling? I sound nosy, I guess, but just curious how it works IRL and would it work for us.

Siggy means signature - there's a link in my signature. He picks when to do things, unless they are joint subjects with his brother. If he doesn't finish his work, he does it in his own time - in the evenings or at weekends. He only has one instrument these days - guitar. He tends to do it in the sitting room while I teach his brother in the adjoining hall. 'Concertina' means his concertina/accordion file containing memorisation day by day.

He tends to do subjects in blocks: he'll do all his maths in one day, then all his English in one day. It gives him a feeling of achievement.

Best wishes

Laura

Our overall subjects are in my signature with some specific curricula mentioned. We use so many different books for history, literature, science etc. that they are more details than needed usually.

This is our weekly schedule:

Math-5 days per week

Latin-5

French-4

English-5 (this includes CW Homer, narrations, dictation, etc.)

Geography-1 (next semester we will switch this to logic)

World History-2

American History-2

Botany-2 (but I'm adding a time for nature study in the new year)

Literature-5

Greek-2

Arts-2(this includes their theory work for piano, lessons from History of Art Sculpture, lessons for Picture Study (Monet) and will now include drawing and watercolor lessons on occasion

HTH:001_smile:

I hope you can see the tiny text. This 7th grader turned 12 in September. We are LCCers, although you can see I've added HTML and dropped religion.

picture.php?albumid=343&pictureid=1524

Phys. Ed., Health, Library Skills & Practical Arts are required by the regulations in this state. Note that the morning subjects take 45 minutes each, while the afternoon subjects are in 1.5 hour or 3 hour blocks.

Edited by dragons in the flower bed

He works mostly independently. I've divided his school day into 5 one hour "blocks" with him working with me for green block. Ds#2 decides what order to do his blocks, but I decide when we will work on green block. For 2010 I have made him a calendar book with weekly pages for activities & all 40 of our school week's assignments printed out. As we plan to do major renovations on the house this year, I decided to plan out the year for him so that he can get started on schoolwork if I am busy with other matters. By the middle of term 1 I've found that our weekends are too busy for me to type up the next week's assignment sheet & no assignment sheet = very little work accomplished for the week. As Ds#2 maybe going to PS in 2011 for highschool, I want him to get through what I've planned to be prepared if we decide to go that route. (& it will prevent me from shifting gears mid-year when I read about a great new program that may be "just right" for us. :tongue_smilie:

Red Block

*Facts Practice

*MUS (M-TH) / TTC: Basic Math (F)

*NZ Maths 8 (M-W) / LoF (TH-F)

Silver Block

*Penmanship (MWF)/Typing (T TH)

*NZ Homework (M)/Tech. Drawing (T TH)/ NZ Social Studies or Science (W)/ NZ Logic & Reasoning (F)

* Vocabulary Vine (T-TH)

* Literature

Blue Block

*General Science (M-F)

*Story of Science (M)

Green Block work with me

*Sequential Spelling

*Lively Latin

*Jump In Writing

*NZ English

Yellow Block (afternoons / evenings)

*Violin Lesson (M)/ practice daily