Menu

Movie--Expelled: No Intelligence Allowed

Its an instant watch , I am going to prewatch it this wk., to make sure its not too slanted for dd.

it's so funny you bring that up. It covers both sides and it is more about having it allowed in educational settings (talks about how professors and researchers get fired for talking about ID) and the plot summary is this:

Academic freedom is being suppressed, says Ben Stein. He contends that professors from around the United States are being fired from their jobs for promoting, or even exploring the possibility of, intelligent design as an alternative to Darwinism. Stein interviews the expelled academics and other supporters of intelligent design. He also interviews the scientists in the mainstream, who support Darwinism. Stein links Darwinism to Nazism, Communism, eugenics and abortion. Vintage clips of educational films and Hollywood movies are used to illustrate points in a satirical way.

--summary from IMDB.com

so far it isn't one or the other super slanted but we are only part way through :) i hope that helps

I'm a young earth creationist but I still thought the movie was slanted.

:leaving:

i'm young earth too...or at least that's the theory that makes the most sense to me--always has, evolution never made sense to me it felt wrong. we are only part of the way through it so i will come back with a real thought on it after it's over

Sadly, Stein went about this movie under false pretenses with many of his interviewees. He misrepresented a lot of what people believe. As irritating as I find Richard Dawkins, I actually disliked Stein's effort here even more.

I agree. I was uncomfortable with the duplicity.

While I found the movie enlightening and even agreed with much of it, I was troubled by the means used. I was also bothered by the associations formed between the theory of evolution and the Holocaust. It really really bothered me.

We saw it when it first came out in the theaters. I had read all of the comments about it and just because the comments were all over the board, I was very intrigued to see it. We took ds (then 9) and he totally got all of it. I know all movies slant to their side...we all do, even if we try not to. But I appreciated that it showed a side that we seldom get to see. Or at least, that I seldom get to see. We had great discussions afterward with ds and, occasionally, it still comes up and we continue to process it.

That's one side of the story anyway.

Is there another side, because that is also the impression I got while watching the documentary? I'm interested in hearing the other side.

I'm not saying they didn't say those things or didn't even mean them, just that it bothered me that Stein had to be "sneaky" about the interviewing. But as my husband stated, what evolutionist would give an interview if they had known the premise of the documentary? No one probably.

Edited by Daisy

Sounds interesting. Keep posting! Maybe we'll watch it during break.

Definitely worth the watch. Mine are a bit young for the whole movie yet.

Given what's going on in the world scientific community in the past month or so, I'd say this is a timely movie to see. I found his main point to be the lack of debate, inquiry or freedom in the scientific community if you're not in lock step with what's the prevailing "correct" view.

That's so dangerous and unscientific. As a family, we've discussed this both in terms of the climate debate and evolution/id/creationism. In fact, it doesn't really matter where you fall on those issues, imo, it's the lack of scientific method and integrity that bugs me.

The one interview that was funny to me was the guy in France who was slouched practically disappearing in his chair. It was just :001_huh:.

We watched it - it was ok - and did have some good points.

One documentary we've recently seen on the Documentary Channel was, "Indoctrinate U." That one wasn't about evolution at all, but was really good at showing just how much one has to be politically correct at colleges and universities now. It's really worth it to watch if anyone has one of theirs heading off to college anytime in the near future.

Here's what wikipedia says about it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indoctrinate_U

And yes, I know, wikipedia is hardly the best source out there, but this seems correct to me (and we watched it).

We watched it - it was ok - and did have some good points.

One documentary we've recently seen on the Documentary Channel was, "Indoctrinate U." That one wasn't about evolution at all, but was really good at showing just how much one has to be politically correct at colleges and universities now. It's really worth it to watch if anyone has one of theirs heading off to college anytime in the near future.

Here's what wikipedia says about it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indoctrinate_U

And yes, I know, wikipedia is hardly the best source out there, but this seems correct to me (and we watched it).

i'll check that out :)

The only thing that was at all worthwhile about this film was when PZ Myers went to a screening and was refused admission ......

...... but Dawkins was allowed in :lol:

Expelled from Expelled. :lol:

Kinda like the irony of recent outrage about secret negotiations at Copenhagen, while the Congress is in the midst of secret negotiations.....:001_huh:

I think tying Nazism and eugenics to the idea of evolution makes the film biased and slanted. It's like saying artists are Nazis because Hitler was a painter. Christianity has been used as an excuse to kill as many (if not more) people that Nazism over the course of history. Anyone remember the Spanish Inquisition? Witch burning? Killings of Catholics under Protestant rule?

I believe in ID even though I'm not a young-earth creationist. I agree that evolutionists sometimes go out of their way to make creationists look bad. But to then turn around and say that makes them like the Nazis is the height of hypocrisy, imo.

Edited by Mrs Mungo

I am a theistic evolutionist (if I had to say where I am in this whole issue). Eugenics was a misuse of the theory of evolution. There really is a tie between evolution and Nazism. Social Darwinism, etc were all twisted permutations (ha!) on the idea of evolution. If you put all the people who died in witch burnings and Inquisitons you would come no where near the 6 million plus that the Nazis killed. Now the wars of the Reformation are different. It was Christian killing Christians but usually religion was used as an excuse for political reasons. Even so I don't think you'd get to the numbers the Nazis perpetuated. I thought that Expelled made some good points but was so obnoxious making them that it did more harm than good. Also, Stein switched the tone from being glib and smart ass to being very serious, like he couldn't figure out which approach to take so he tried to blend them and I don't think it worked.

I am a theistic evolutionist (if I had to say where I am in this whole issue). Eugenics was a misuse of the theory of evolution. There really is a tie between evolution and Nazism. Social Darwinism, etc were all twisted permutations (ha!) on the idea of evolution.

Did Nazis use evolution as an excuse for eugenics? Yes. Does that many evolutionists in any way like the Nazis? No. That's where the argument fails, you cannot continue the argument.

If you put all the people who died in witch burnings and Inquisitons you would come no where near the 6 million plus that the Nazis killed. Now the wars of the Reformation are different. It was Christian killing Christians but usually religion was used as an excuse for political reasons. Even so I don't think you'd get to the numbers the Nazis perpetuated.

If we're speaking only of those killed by the Nazis in concentration camps, due to eugenics, I disagree. For one thing, I think you *must* include those killed during the Reformation wars. I *realize* that religion was often an *excuse* and that's exactly my point. Eugenics was often an excuse to get rid of someone for political means. The same thing happened in the early US with manifest Destiny. If you include those numbers you easily exceed Hitler's count.

I'm not suggesting modern Christianity is to blame for that. I'm a Christian and a Native American. I am simply saying it's hypocritical to embrace the misapplication of evolution while denying the misapplication of Christianity.

I am a theistic evolutionist (if I had to say where I am in this whole issue). Eugenics was a misuse of the theory of evolution. There really is a tie between evolution and Nazism. Social Darwinism, etc were all twisted permutations (ha!) on the idea of evolution. If you put all the people who died in witch burnings and Inquisitons you would come no where near the 6 million plus that the Nazis killed. Now the wars of the Reformation are different. It was Christian killing Christians but usually religion was used as an excuse for political reasons. Even so I don't think you'd get to the numbers the Nazis perpetuated. I thought that Expelled made some good points but was so obnoxious making them that it did more harm than good. Also, Stein switched the tone from being glib and smart ass to being very serious, like he couldn't figure out which approach to take so he tried to blend them and I don't think it worked.

Well said.

Eugenics and Nazism both have direct ties to Darwinism and the underlying philosophy of evolution. Margaret Sanger was also a proponent of eugenics, as were a number of turn of the century progressives.

It's also true that Stein made a mash of what could have been a very good movie. As I said in an earlier post, I do believe that it's worth seeing, if only to see that there are serious, accredited scientists who are marginalized or worse if they are not in lock-step with the scientific community's "right" side of a given issue (particularly true wrt evolution and climate change).

On a side note: Dh and I were talking about this not long ago. Hitler's goal was to exterminate the Jews from Europe. Overall, he really succeeded in that goal. Today, countries like Poland have a small fraction of the Jewish population that they had in the early 1900s.

Sadly, Stein went about this movie under false pretenses with many of his interviewees. He misrepresented a lot of what people believe. As irritating as I find Richard Dawkins, I actually disliked Stein's effort here even more.

Ok, OT:

This one surprised me....I heard recently about Michael Moore's first movie, remember Roger and Me? The whole premise was about Moore trying to talk with the auto exec, right? Apparently, he not only met and talked with him, but also interviewed him on film.

I guess these guys are all about the entertainment. :tongue_smilie:

Did Nazis use evolution as an excuse for eugenics? Yes.

People like that will say anything about anything to get what they want. And if saying doesn't get it, a gun will. A brute is a brute, and while a brute may wear shoes, everyone who wears shoes is not a brute.

If you watch The Wannsee Conference (a faithful filming of the transcript of the real conference) you will not see underlying philosophies discussed.

People like that will say anything about anything to get what they want. And if saying doesn't get it, a gun will. A brute is a brute, and while a brute may wear shoes, everyone who wears shoes is not a brute.

This is certainly true.

If you watch The Wannsee Conference (a faithful filming of the transcript of the real conference) you will not see underlying philosophies discussed.

That was later, right? I think the underlying philosophies and attitudes were being formulated and fomented in the early 30s. Certainly evil people adopted that which worked for them. But from some of the writings I've seen, some did indeed advocate and believe these theories were best for their society.

If you put all the people who died in witch burnings and Inquisitons you would come no where near the 6 million plus that the Nazis killed.

So what?

Honestly, so what? That the Nazi's were so efficient is mostly the result of the fact that they happened to be placed in the 20th century. If past methods of persecution and mass murder were less efficient it says nothing of value about the relative evil of who was doing it.