Menu

Help! Dh is going to a Trader Joe's today

We also do the Trader Joe runs when we are in a town that has one. I only get items that don't need refrigeration. Of course half the fun is being able to roam the aisles yourself to see what they have! But the staples I tend to get are the less-salt cashews, the sliced blanched almonds (they have a great nut selection so maybe others too), the black bean dip for corn chips, the buckets of chocolate chip cookies for the kids (oops, those obviously have sugar), and I used to get their Pad Thai box kit, but haven't seen it in over a year. Oh, and the little 3-pack dark chocolate candy bars that are usually at the registers as a treat for dh.

oh, then I guess the candy cane Jo jos (like oreos) and the chocolate covered pretzels are out?!!! those are my must haves!

They have nice flavored applesauce in go packs for the kids to take places. Goat cheese crumbles, greek yogurt, cinnamon raisin bread, cereal fruit bars (a strawberry walks into a bar). Hummus, pizza dough if you don't make your own. Orange flavored chicken in the frozen section, taquitos in the frozen section. Lavendar soap bar. Jar of TJ salsa, yumm, the best we think. Cage free eggs. Green juice, nice for making frozen pops for the kids.

I was looking on their site at some of the TJ items-has anyone tried & liked any of their frozen tomales or enchiladas? Also, which cereals are good and not good?

Yum-I'm getting hungry just looking at the lists. BTW, I'm not off sugar, so I am for sure having dh get the Candy Cane Joe Joe's!!

I think you should rethink the sugar thing and allow the Candy Cane Jo-Jos. They are heaven in a box.

That said, we really enjoy their indian food, greek yogurt, fish sticks, calamari rings (although my TJ has not had those in awhile), fresh corn salsa, fresh mild salsa, my kids like their bottled juices, hummus, and my new favorite is a whole wheat tortilla with oats and flax. Even my dh who hates tortilla wraps likes these. Their boxed soups. I always have some of their vegetable stock and chicken stock on hand. We all love the roasted red pepper and tomato soup.

Well, I am not an obsessed TJ shopper. But they do have some nice jams, nuts, and dried fruits. They also have a variety of inexpensive cereals and some nice breads. I like the organic jams as they are significantly less sweet than normal. If you've been looking for Grade B maple syrup or alcohol free vanilla flavoring, that is one of the few places to find them. But (to my amusement) my local store only carries baking powder in the winter. The employees seemed to think a) that was the only time people bake and b) baking soda was a suitable replacement, which I found funny. Some people I know are crazy about their sauces in a can, too.

Fresh: Mutli colored bell peppers, lettuces, dates, pizza dough, mozerella cheese, applewood lunch meats, wine country chicken salad

Jar: marinara sauce for pizza, sun-dried tomatoes

Organic low sodium tomato soup (I just finished some for lunch), butternut soup (soups in boxes :D)

Those tri colored nacho chips

Nuts are cheapest at TJ

Italian bread for panini sandwiches

Whatever suits your fancy.

I would encourage that from your store "gleanings" you make a list of what you like for future purchases. It will be easier whether it's you or dh doing the shopping. There's just so much more I buy, but see....I'm not looking at my list and this is all I can remember right now.

Their nuts are priced better than anywhere else, and you can get them unsalted.

Other things I buy regularly:

dried apricots

dried tart cherries

100% cranberry juice

TJ's castille soap

hummus (original, garlic, and white bean are all fav's here)

Ketchup

barbecue sauce

canned salmon (no salt added)

almond butter

bacon (no nitrates)

Kefir

dark chocolate bars (They do not count as sugar. They count as a fruit or vegetable. Lots of antioxidants.:) )

Their chicken breasts are a good price, but you probably wouldn't want them in the car for 2 hours even in a cooler.

They have a great snack section, i.e., trail mixes of all kinds, dried berries, nuts, etc. I really love their Sesame Honey Almonds--delish, and would be great put out on a holiday buffet.

They also have good jerky (made with great ingredients, no nitrates/nitrates)--I've seen beef (a couple of flavors), turkey (I think), and buffalo. I've only tried the beef, and it was good. I like portable protein options! ;)

Great French green beans (frozen).

* Candy cane Joe Joes. Stock up. For real. (I have it on good authority that these do not count as sugar. That's my story, and I'm sticking with it.)

* Organic no-salt-added peanut butter, crunchy (I suppose you could buy creamy, but why would anyone do that?:tongue_smilie:).

* 1000 Layer Crackers

* Organic blue corn tortilla chips

* Raw nuts. Lots.

* Clementines!

* Dark chocolate

* Olive oil

* Pasta, especially the whole wheat, the spinach, and the lemon (why, oh, why did they get rid of the flax pasta???)

* Brown basmati

* Israeli "Pastures of Eden" feta

* Organic frozen veggie mixes