Menu

Chantix

Anyone have any experience or know of anyone who has taken it?

I asked for it yesterday and have taken two doses. Today I've noticed what I'd call a great deal of time between cigarettes - and hour and half. I wonder if I wasn't so hungry if I'd even had those last two. (I've got to go to the grocery!)

Seems to be working.

Looking forward to the day I'm free of this nastiness, and can talk dh to giving up his Copenhagen.

P.S. I chose this time of year because I thought of having to freeze my toes off in below freezing weather isn't as appealing as it used to be.

I've taken it & failed miserably, so I wish you luck! While it addresses the physical cravings for nicotine, it doesn't help with the habit aspects of smoking ~ so you have to be very mindful about changing your routines & avoiding certain triggers.

See, I was wondering about the after-meal one, the one first and last thing. I can easily going down to 5 or 6 a day, but those times are really going to be sticking points.

My brother has taken it on a few different occasions with success as far as smoking is concerned. However, it caused problems with his behavior and mood. It was bad enough that his wife had to ask him to quit taking it.

Deanna

This is why I will *not* let my dh take it. It can cause depression and suicidal tendencies.:001_huh:

Not to be scary or anything, just being honest and trying to give you something to think about. There are warnings about this causing suicidal tendencies, and my BIL was on this drug when he committed suicide. So please be careful while you're taking it.

There were several soldiers returning from the war that had the same experience. I don't even know why this drug is still on the market. How would someone know how they will react to it?

My sister had smoked for 35 years, and my husband for over 20. Both completely stopped smoking within the first week.

My sister took it for a total of two months. Dh took his for the full 3 I think. It's been 3 years for my sister and 2+ for dh.

I'd consider it a huge success in both of their cases.

Dh took it and had none of those problems. Of course, he also didn't quit smoking. He said the medicine completely eliminated his cravings, but he didn't do anything to change his routine or find an alternate way to relieve stress and 'unwind'. I suggest you have a plan in place for something else you can do to replace those tough ones (I know morning and bedtime, and after meals are hard but the hardest to do away with for me was the one after s*x).

BTW, I quit 6 years ago. Good luck!

Here is the link it helped me understand why I got hooked on smoking to begin with and how nicotine works in the brain. I am one of those people who has to know the "why "before I will commit to any course of action!! I have been nicotine free for 3 years now. http://whyquit.com/Joel/Joel_Index_03_Quitting_Smoking.html Do whatever it takes . If hypnosis seems right to you-do it. If cold turkey with education seems better try it. Take chantix . Bark at the moon at midnight if it helps. Whatever you need to do to get away from smoking is worth it. Food is delightful...my hair smells pretty...I never really need to dust my house more than once a month ... I never miss it and in fact am physically ill if I smell smoke on a client. I NEVER thought I would be free of smoking and let me say ,it is the best gift ever!!! Best wishes and keep on going one day at a time soon you will be done for good.

My dh and his sister both quit with Chantix. They both say it was like nothing else they have ever tried before.

ETA: Both my dh and his sister suffer from depression and neither experienced extra side effects from it. They both did say they had odd dreams. It has been about 3 years for both of them.

Edited by Kari C in SC

We have had many patients take it. Some have had issues with it, but a lot have used it successfully. One of the most common side effects I have heard of is Lucid dreams. Dreams that are crazy, but sooo real at the same time. Like one patient who was riding in a boat in an ocean of colored waters (bright colors, like Skittles candy).

I would make sure the spouse knows the patient is taking it, and alert them to the personality concerns mentioned above (valid concerns) and ask them to help monitor the progress and act as a safety, who can ask the patient to stop taking the med if changes are significant.

I took it and have been smoke free for just over 3 years now. The pill will only help lessen the cravings. The real work is all on you. Breaking the old habits is far harder and will take the better part of 6 months to a year. It only gets better and better though.

I can breathe again after choking on smoke for 20 years. And now I run/exercise without feeling like I'm going to die. You can do it!!! :grouphug:

My husband did it and it worked great.

It doesn't help with withdrawls but it does keep the nicotine from getting into your system.

So while your going through the withdrawls you continue to smoke.

Eventually smoking is unappealing and you slowly quit.

Good luck and don't give up :)

Do you have any idea what your dh did about the headache and fuzzy head feeling?

We have had many patients take it. Some have had issues with it, but a lot have used it successfully. One of the most common side effects I have heard of is Lucid dreams. Dreams that are crazy, but sooo real at the same time. Like one patient who was riding in a boat in an ocean of colored waters (bright colors, like Skittles candy).

I had and interesting one last night. I was at a conference with Pope JPII when he was about 30ish.

I can breathe again after choking on smoke for 20 years. And now I run/exercise without feeling like I'm going to die. You can do it!!! :grouphug:

I'm looking forward to the day I can get up the stairs without panting. I also requested the Wii Fit from my MIL for Christmas.

• 1 month later...

That's great that you stopped! Its a really hard thing to do. Did you have any of the weird thoughts or feelings or any of the strange dreams?

How about your dh? How's he doing?

I guess we'll give it a try and just keep an eye on each other for any strange behavior, well stranger than usual!

Congrats!

Kim

The dreams were interesting. Mostly because I don't remember my dreams. I didn't have what I would call stranger than normal dreams. Vivid instead of strange.

The one I remember most was a cross between NCIS and Star Trek. The guy killed those people because the transporter put his brain together slightly wrong. LOL It was really more like watching a movie than dreaming.

And the vivid dreams faded after the first few nights of vivid dreams. It was a bit disappointing.

I didn't have any abnormal thoughts or behaviors. I wonder if I was on it long enough to have that occur. Maybe... I don't know.

Dh is doing fine. He says he hasn't had any dreams yet. He has only been taking it since Sunday.

My doc said that the drug isn't something that you have to taper off. If you are ready to quit, try the Chantix. If you feel that you are having difficulty, just stop taking it.

It has helped that I've had a substitute for the hand-to-mouth. I have kept salad in the fridge, dried fruit, and sunflower seeds. That way when I feel the need to put something in my mouth I'm not putting fattening things in.

The first two weeks I had a lot of need for salad in the evenings between after dinner and before bed. It is getting better.

I've got some hard candy and gum waiting for dh. I think he will need to have something that will stay in his mouth since his habit is different than mine.

I guess I need to come up with some things to occupy me, too. Every morning I take our dog out with my morning coffee and sit on the front porch with my coffee and smoke while she does her business. I really don't know what I'll do about that.

I like your idea of the fruit and seeds. I love pistachios but generally don't buy them bc the price. Now I can spend my $$ on them instead of cigarettes!

Thanks again!

Kim

Glad it is going well for you.

My hubby started just over a month ago. He has noticed some days having fewer cigs, but he hasn't had many of the symptoms of quitting many others report. I suggested to him that he might consider consciously extending time between cigs, knowing that the meds are filling the nicotine receptors so he's not going to HURT if he waits an extra hour or whatever. I hope he's successful this time. He wants to do it so badly for a number of reasons.

However, a warning....

A friend of mine hubby had an EXTREMELY dangerous reaction. He moved out, was ugly, did very self-destructive things, had little to do with his daughter and nothing to do with his son. He didn't believe it was the Chantix and was completely unruly. It was horrible. (BTW, this was his second try on it--it is my hubby's also).

So if people mention a personality change, please pay attention....But I don't think that some people having that reaction means not to use it.

My brother has taken it on a few different occasions with success as far as smoking is concerned. However, it caused problems with his behavior and mood. It was bad enough that his wife had to ask him to quit taking it.

Deanna

I was going to say almost the same thing. My brother used it successfully (in conjunction with hypnosis to help with the habits). BUT, it made him extremely paranoid. It even put him in a situation resulting in a harrassment lawsuit because he was over-reacting to people he thought were out to get him.

He quit for a whole year, but started smoking again. He is going to quit again, but without the Chantix. He doesn't want to take it again.

I notice, just from the posts on this thread, that the people who have this reaction are mostly men. I wonder if there is a real correlation. Are men more likely to have these adverse reactions than women?

Anyway, watch your moods, not just for suicidal thoughts and depression, but also for paranoia.

You really hear so many different outcomes with it. I really pray we're two of the success stories. I really want to quit, but its hard when you're a SAH/HS Mom with no break EVER!!!:lol:

Maybe I need valium or something instead of Chantix!

Just kidding, sort of....

Kim

Don't let that be an excuse. With the money you save from not smoking you can hire a babysitter once a week for a couple hours.

Right now for me, it is about the money I'm saving. I justified buying a $3 coffee because I didn't have to buy a $6 pack of smokes.