Menu

Anyone have kiddos who take several classes online?

MomOfOneFunOne

Given that my daughter ***LOVES!!!*** the online classes she has (Singapore Math and Latin) and that they are so much easier on me, I'm thinking of having my daughter do most of her school online.

And yet, it feels like a cop-out somehow. I'd feel like a quitter.

But she really would like to.

I'd love to have her do writing and great books/socratic discussion online. Also, next year we'll be adding Greek and it would be nice to do that online, as well.

I'm kind of envisioning a scenario where she has a bunch on online classes on M/W and does her homework on T/R. On Fridays we do the classes I really want to teach: Religion, History, Science.

So, I'm wondering if anyone out there has her kiddos in mostly online classes and if it really is worth the money.

In our case so far, we feel we are getting our money's worth and more. We couldn't be more satisfied. But, with adding more and more, I'd be worried about the money and each class would really have to be worth it. How many times could I count on being this blessed in the choices I'd made? I'd also battle that feeling that I'd copped-out somehow . . . taken the easy way . . .

I dont' know . . . what do you guys think?

Both of mine are hsed online totally. The oldest graduates 2010.

I dont think of it as a cop out. I think, if I can afford it, its a blessing.

There is still work for me to do. Just b/c they have online classes most schools expect the parents to be involved. There is plenty to do. Especially keeping up on schedules for deadlines.

Guest sandranelson1968

It's not a cop-out.

There is no reason for you to be the teacher 100% of the time. You should definitely rely on some local classes, outside textbooks, curriculum, courses, and websites. Just do it judiciously. Really do your homework. I use a number of online resources and teaching services, but no schools. For instance, I use SpellingCity.com (spelling & vocabulary), ExploreLearning.com (science gizmos and concepts), Time4Learning.com,(grammar, reading comprehension, phonics, math) ReadingAdventure.com (book counting, a little silly, loads of fun), Time4Writing sometimes (writing courses), and so on.

I keep looking at the virtual schools but don't want to give up that much control.

Can you tell me where you do Singapore online? And... how much per year is it? Also, how's the Latin going? My daughter got through... almost... Unit 3 of Henle... and I need another spot for her:-)

Carrie:-)

you betcha!

Math: www.cybershala.com it's $100/month and includes an hour and 15 minute class twice per week and all books.

Latin: www.lonepineclassical.com and we use Lingua Latina by Orberg.

We couldn't be happier with them!

My DD10 currently does EPGY for part of her math. She uses PLATO as part of her science and will start Grammar Town and Ceasar's English I from MCT online this spring semester as part of her English.

Juggling schedules for 4 kids is a little crazy and we plan to add EPGY for my next two this Spring, they already use UniqueReader for supplementary phonics and comprehension, and ALEKS quicktables for math drills (this will stop when they start EPGY).

Like anything else you do what works best for your child and your family. Last year my kids did more on the computer, it was my first year HS, and we have actually moved away from it this year.

My 11yo is taking Science, Reading, and Keyboarding online. In January, he will start Language Arts and then in March, after he finishes keyboarding, he will be taking History.

Next year he will take all subjects through the FL Virtual School. This works best for *him* - after years of fighting with him to do schoolwork, he does it himself. It's a control thing - he wants to be in control and didn't want me telling him what schoolwork to do. This way, he is still held accountable, but there is much, much less conflict over schoolwork.

I still help him and teach him, but life is much better!

Our Potter's School experience has been awesome. We loved sixth grade writing so much, my son signed up for three classes this year. I envision him being able to complete much of his high school education online through TPS.

My daughter is different and I don't think we'll go that route with her next year. And, our youngest may or may not be a good match for online learning - everyone is different.

It has totally been worth the money for us and is still cheaper than private school. My son is receiving a much better education in these subjects (writing and Latin this year, we dropped the science) than I could have given him. Much. Better.

Next year, ds will be taking 3-4 outside classes, but he will be in 9th grade. I found in junior high that I needed to outsource a class or two due to my own limitation as a teacher.

I have noticed, though, that once I outsource a class, I lose the advantage of tutoring one-on-one. Sometimes, that loss is countered by the knowledge of the teacher. Sometimes, it's not.

Your dd seems to be more motivated than my ds. I would say that if your dd wants to, if you can afford it, and if it will make your life easier, then go for it. :001_smile:

Dc#1 has done much more for online schooling than he would ever have done for me. He has learned to get assignments in on time and prepare for tests. The classes have been so good for him that I decided to start dc#2 in online classes for 8th grade, a year earlier than his brother. I'll probably start ds#3 earlier than that.

We've done Scholars Online, The Potter's School, and Apologia Academy. Although ds#1 learned so much with Scholars Online, I decided not to put him in classes there after 10th grade. IMO, SO is for the brightest and hardest working students.

I'm so glad that we can afford online classes. They are well worth the cost.

I'm so glad that we can afford online classes. They are well worth the cost.

I am trying to swallow why the online classes cost so much... and why they seem to be close to "in school" classes. It'd be around $3500 each year for highschool... and they only meet once per week. That'd be like $14,000 a year for private school??

What am I missing??

DD takes Latin from www.harringtoncollegeprep.com

This is her second year and I think She LOVES this class more than any she has EVER taken.

She did a few diff writing classes online but she's doing ENG online with the CC next month.

I was planning on using the JHU CTY online classes but in comparing the costs I think she should at least start getting college credits.

My oldest dd takes one online class each from The Potter's School and Lukeion.org. Next year she'll continue Latin with Lukeion and I suspect she'll have at least one other online class.

I know what you mean about feeling like it's a cop-out, but I think that when homeschooling high school students we have to adjust our thinking. I see my role partly as teacher, for the subjects I can teach, but also as "resource-finder." If I want my dd to study a subject, or if SHE wants to study a subject, that I am ill-equipped to teach, I want to find a resource to help her to study that subject. I would be prideful to think that I can teach her everything she's interested in. I would also be short-changing her to try to do so when there are much better resources out there.

I also see outsourced classes as a good bridge between homeschooling and college, if your student is going in that direction. Outsourced classes have given my dd a chance to cope with more stringent deadlines than I give, which has been excellent for her.

For anyone interested in learning subjects related to the ancient world, such as ancient history, languages, and literature, I cannot recommend Lukeion.org highly enough. My dd is really enjoying her Potter's School class and I know she'll want to take more with them, but it's Latin with Mrs. Barr that has engaged her since last year.

I am trying to swallow why the online classes cost so much... and why they seem to be close to "in school" classes. It'd be around $3500 each year for highschool... and they only meet once per week. That'd be like $14,000 a year for private school??

What am I missing??

At the high school level, the student would get 7 high school credits whether you pay $3500 for 7 online classes or $14,000 for private school classes. My ds has no desire to sit in a classroom 6hrs/day 5 days/wk. I have no desire to spend $14,000 when I can spend $3500. Though, I'd not outsource more than 4 classes.

What am I missing??

Each class is 1.5 hrs long, so that's like two weekday classes in a typical school (or maybe one block class, which would only meet twice per week instead of five). There's no wasting time in the online classes. The classes get going immediately when it's time to start. There are virtually no discipline problems to deal with, and there's no time during class for the students to work on assignments, like in a traditional school. Also, the students in online classes take their quizzes and tests outside of class time. So, I doubt that students at private schools get much more instruction time than online schoolers.

I'm in agreement with Sue in St Pete. My kids don't have to sit in class for six hours a day, five days per week. I'd much rather pay $2500 per year for schooling than pay the $9000+ or $14,000+ for the private schools in my area. I also don't have to cart my kids back and forth to school each day, and my kids don't have to waste time riding a bus. There's also a lot more flexibility for travel. For example, I don't schedule classes on Friday, so we have longer weekends available. We would have had Wednesday-Sunday available if I hadn't messed up in my initial scheduling of classes and had to change a Monday midnight class to Thursday afternoon -- I didn't notice the time was 11:45PM).

My 11th grader took five online classes last year, and he was swamped with school work. He barely had time for anything else. I would not enroll my kids in more classes than that.

Each class is 1.5 hrs long, so that's like two weekday classes in a typical school (or maybe one block class, which would only meet twice per week instead of five). There's no wasting time in the online classes. The classes get going immediately when it's time to start. There are virtually no discipline problems to deal with, and there's no time during class for the students to work on assignments, like in a traditional school. Also, the students in online classes take their quizzes and tests outside of class time. So, I doubt that students at private schools get much more instruction time than online schoolers.

In my case, ds is taking a history class that has a 45min lecture 4x per week. The lecture is conducted via conference call, which has its limitations. He only participates live 1x per week. The rest of the week, he listens to the recording. The flexibility is a plus. We pay $35/mo to participate 1x per week live.

There are slight discipline issues, there are technology challenges, the pace of the class is slow due to the amount of review necessary because the class is conducted via conference call (ie. it's harder to remember things like Interregnum, Saladin, Chalons, Godfrey de Bouillon, etc. when you don't SEE it at least spelled out when you hear about it). There is no text for the class which makes it more difficult to retain the information. OTOH, the teacher is WAY more knowledgeable than I am or ever will be. In fact, I'd say he's brilliant in his presentation of history.

In-person classes at school or co-op have their disadvantages as well. The only subjects I am generally extremely pleased with are the ones that I am qualified to teach myself, have a quality curriculum to use, and have the time to implement (I work as well). My own limitations, lack of time, or lack of quality curriculum have forced me to look elsewhere for some subjects. As ds gets older, there will only be more I cannot handle myself. The $$$ can be worth it.

It's all a trade-off, though. My time vs. my money.

Some homeschoolers will say, "That's not homeschooling." Yes, it is. You are making the best choice for your child and still overseeing the work, you've just outsourced to another teacher. Having been around the homeschool community for 8+ years now and taught at local community colleges for 10+ years, I'd much rather see a parent outsource to keep the motivation/quality up than to let things slide.

Yes, it's expensive to outsource. My oldest is in a weekly academic co-op, and my younger one is an enrichment co-op. If I didn't teach there and at the community college, we couldn't swing it. Yes, I could teach them everything, but I find that the quality and amount of work they complete is much higher with the group motivation and a schedule. This fall I've dealt with eldercare issues and ongoing medical issues in my family, and it's been wonderful to know that I can be on the phone for long periods of time and still know that my oldest is busy trying to get his assignments done for class on Friday. We plan to continue with local options as long as possible, and if that's not possible, we probably would look online for Latin and Writing.

• 3 months later...

My dds both take online classes through Potter's School. Next year we are also going to try a couple of classes with Homeschool Science Academy. I find the quality of their work is much higher and I like the fact that they are accountable to someone other than me.

To quote a previous poster, "Some homeschoolers will say, "That's not homeschooling."

But for us, this is what works and I consider it the best of both worlds. Ds doesn't have any online classes currently, but we are enrolled in our school district's homeschool support program. What this means is that we have access to district funds and resources, he gets to have workshops with other homeschoolers (and teachers other than "Mom") and I still get to be in control of what's going into his brain. Most of our work is done at home, but for my social "only" this is a great way for him to connect with other people and get out from under my thumb. It's nice for me too!

• 2 weeks later...

I think you should do what is right for you and your child. No one can be in your shoes except you. I know some people here, and elsewhere of course, think outside or online classes are homeschool failures but that doesn't bother me one bit. I'm much more interested in what will educate my children best. My high schoolers are in Keystone National High School, completely. They will earn an accredited high school diploma, something I cannot give to them as a homeschooling mom in the state of Georgia.

My dd12 is taking one class through Keystone Middle School that she absolutely loves. It's a social studies class and can be considered by some here to be a horrible choice because it isn't REAL history or it isn't concentrated/focused history. It's working well for my dd12. She takes science, literature, and writing from a group that offers homeschool classes. I do not cover those topics at home because those classes are as much coverage, if not more, than I would provide on my own. With homeschool programs, I'm using Math-U-See and Growing With Grammar. We'll be adding Rosetta Stone French within the next week.

I do miss the days of researching and purchasing curriculum. But the work my children have now requires the same amount of attention that I had given to the materials I researched and purchased, only I don't have to research and purchase! I've homeschooled for 9 years now so I don't feel like a newbie. I honestly believe the materials and classes my children are using are no different than my days of buying stuff and filling out a teacher's planning book.