Menu

Pots and Pans...

I love my cast iron Dutch Ovens (3 different sizes) and skillets. I've accumulated them through the years from garage sales and thrift stores. They're perfectly seasoned so I don't have sticking issues. I have stainless steel sauce pans made by All-Clad. They're great too.

I really, really could use some new bakeware, though. I may add it to my Christmas list for dh.

I am a fan the Original Calphalon (now called Calphalon One). No non-stick, no "special" kind. It is horrifically expensive, and worth every penny.

We bought two sets in 1992 - one for us and one for hubby's parents - slightly different pieces. We have never had a single issue with ours. MIL/FIL (for some odd reason) washed theirs in the dishwasher. You can't do that to anodized aluminum. Eventually, MIL/FIL told us they didn't like it and wanted non-stick (durr... they had ruined the anodized finish...), so they sent it all to us. We called Calphalon, who had us send it in to them, and they replaced the damaged pieces.

We now have so much Calphalon, we can send kid out into the world with commercial quality cookware, and it will be over 20 years old by then! Completely worth it on a cost per use basis.

I also really love cast iron (only Lodge, as it is made in the US, so I know what is in it). I have a great iron wok from them.

a

IMHO, Le Creuset (enameled cast iron) is the tops for dutch ovens (pot roasts, stews, etc.), their fry pans the tops for frying. . .

and All Clad Stainless Steel sets the standards for SS. However, I wouldn't pay full (or even half) price for All Clad, as I have found that imitators perform just as well. I'd just find some nice 18/10 HEAVY SS for stock pots, saucepans, etc.

The Le Creuset I am willing to pay for. . . but I have just four pieces -- a chicken size roasting pan, a huge (8 qt?) oval dutch oven, and an even huger (12 qt?) dutch oven, and one big skillet. I love, love, love them, and have bought a new piece every few years and the 10 year old one is as lovely as the 10 week old one. . . I have my eyes on some more. FWIW, I haven't tried any of the other le creuset stuff, but I doubt the LC prices would be worth it to me for anything other than the enameled cast iron.

Yes. And it will be the last set you'll ever need.

Yep. I got my All Clad when I was 18 (worked in a kitchen shop) and it still looks and works great. Oh, I am 42 now. My mother who is a kitchen snob has been completely sold over to All Clad.

However, I do use Le Crueset for my dutch ovens. I have had a couple of those since I was 16.

Try Williams Sonoma online for a good deal on a good set. Much less expensive that way.

Even better, unless you find a set that includes exactly the pieces you need (unlikely), don't bother with a set at all. Just buy the individual pieces that you actually need at the outset. Sets generally include pieces you won't actually use and exclude pieces that you do need but will have to buy separately anyway.

Even better, unless you find a set that includes exactly the pieces you need (unlikely), don't bother with a set at all. Just buy the individual pieces that you actually need at the outset. Sets generally include pieces you won't actually use and exclude pieces that you do need but will have to buy separately anyway.

One of the reasons we bought our first All Clad at Williams Sonoma, though, is that their sets actually contained a good variety of various sizes that we would actually use, not the usual "1 qt, 2qt, 3 qt, 1 small frying pan" collection that leaves you always wishing for a few more big pieces and never using all the small ones. It was a MUCH better set than Macy's had--I checked elsewhere as well, over a 2 year period, including Bloomingdales, several local 'kitchen' stores, and a place that they don't have anymore called Whole Earth Access. I do think that the WS sets are worth a look--obviously I have not checked them lately, though.

I miss Whole Earth Access. For several years after we got our starter set I would occasionally see something in my design there for a really good price.

I have the stainless set from Costco and they are very good for the price. It is mainly pots and not skillets. One thing that I laugh at is the set has several small pans....like you would buy to cook for two....who shops at Costco if you are going to be cooking for two...lol

I have a large skillet from All Clad

I have a medium sized, heavy duty skillet from Tramontina that I bought at TJMaxx. It has been around for years and is still wonderful.

We weekend at a friends vacation house a lot. I bought Revere Ware for there since there weren't any pans. It has been a great set for under $100.

It really depends on your budget and cooking style.

For under $200 you can get the set from Costco, but it doesn't have much in the way of large pieces. This is where we started when we switched from our anodized Circulon set. Over time I have added what I wanted to it.

For under $700 you can get a similar smaller set of All Clad.

If you like big pots and pans and are on a budget, you will probably need to get a piece here and there if you want a top brand. They can run over $1-200 per pan.

Edited by Tap, tap, tap

Waterless cookware. Mine is Amway Queen cookware and is over 25 years old. I expect my grandchildren to inherit it, lol. There are other brands of waterless cookware. A friend received a set as a wedding present; her apartment building burned to the ground a few months after she was married, poor thing, and she lost everything, except for her china and her waterless cookware.