Menu

Green Bean Casserole--what's the secret?

My dh has requested green bean casserole for Thanksgiving. Somehow, I've made it to 42 without ever having made this. I've eaten my fair share though. My experience is that it's either really, really yummy or just.....NOT.

What's the secret? I've seen recipes that use french style from frozen (thawed), canned, fresh etc. Which form/state of green bean gives you that simply scrumptious casserole that people ask for over and over?

I would love to see YOUR favorite recipes if you have time.

Thanks in advance!

Canned green beans, very well-drained, yield a better flavor in my book, and I use WAY more of the French-fried onions than the recipe calls for (large can rather than small).

However, if you'd rather suggest something similar but yet NOT green bean casserole to your husband, try this. I made this for a recipe swap, and half the girls there are making it for Thanksgiving this year instead of green bean casserole.

SWISS VEGETABLE MEDLEY

1 16-oz. bag frozen broccoli, carrots, and cauliflower combination

1 can cream of mushroom soup

1 8-oz. bag shredded Swiss cheese

1/3 c. sour cream

1/4 tsp. pepper

1 big can French-fried onions

In a casserole dish, combine frozen veggies, soup, half of the cheese, sour cream, pepper, and a little more than half of the can of onions. Bake, covered, at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes. Top with remaining cheese and onions. Bake, uncovered, for 5 minutes longer or till cheese is melted.

Canned green beans, very well-drained, yield a better flavor in my book, and I use WAY more of the French-fried onions than the recipe calls for (large can rather than small).

:iagree:

I always use a lot of the FF onions. I like some crushed and mixed in, and a layer on top. Also, never use low fat or no salt items with this. I see many recipes with all these extra ingredients added - I only use green beans, cream of mushroom, and FF onions. I cook it until it is bubbly and the onions on top are browned. Everyone always loves it.

Mine is a bit different. I always use drained canned green beans and instead of mushroom soup we use a jar of cheese whiz and then the big can of onion rings. It is awesome and everyone loves it. We call it Cheesy green beans.:001_smile:

Oh My!! Call it Death by Sodium Green Bean Casserole.... But, We may just try it:-)

Carrie

I agree that it seems to taste better with canned, French style green beans. And a large can of FF onions, not a small one.

:iagree:

To me, there are three secrets to a *great green bean casserole:

Canned french cut green beans

A large can of french friend onions instead of a small one

mix some of the onions in with the casserole, put the rest on top to brown

SOOOOOO good. Too bad sil wants a 'lighter' version this Thansgiving. :glare:

When we have this (which is rare because it is just so rich) we do sour cream instead of soup. In the sour cream we mix a bit of Worcestershire sauce, some very finely minced white onion, a bit of shredded sharp cheddar, some dried dill, salt and pepper. Mix with very well-drained canned green beans. Bake until bubbly.

Canned, drained, french-cut green beans (yes, they must be canned and must be french cut).

Cream of mushroom soup

more dried french fried onions than generally recommended...some in the beans and some added to the top towards the end of cooking. YUM!

And a bit of pepper to your own liking ;)

Okay, I'm making green bean casserole for the first time also. The recipe I saw took soy sauce---it was the French's recipe. Nobody here has mentioned soy sauce. Should I skip it? This is my FIL's only request for Thanksgiving. I don't plan to eat it, but want it to be right for him.

Soy sauce or not?

Okay, I'm making green bean casserole for the first time also. The recipe I saw took soy sauce---it was the French's recipe. Nobody here has mentioned soy sauce. Should I skip it? This is my FIL's only request for Thanksgiving. I don't plan to eat it, but want it to be right for him.

Soy sauce or not?

A capful of soy or Worcestershire would be fine :)

I don't use canned anything. My recipe is simple and more of a use what you've got in the pantry.

Frozen French style green beans, homemade while sauce, dried/organic onion flakes, (fresh mushrooms if I have them) topped with crushed croutons and more dried/organic onion flakes. I always toss in seasonings.

No matter how big a pan I make, there are never left overs.:001_huh:

Soy sauce or not?

I use soy sauce and everyone always request my green bean casserole for family/church get togethers. It's basically the same thing everyone else listed:

canned french style green beans

cream of mushroom soup

extra french fried onions -- yummy

and then a few shakes of soy sauce

...Never thought of soy sauce/worcestershire sauce. I may have to try that this year.

Mom's "secret ingredient" was always a dollop of sour cream added to cream of mushroom soup (plain 'ol canned variety), and always canned, french-cut green beans. It's never tasted right to me with regular-cut green beans.

I'm just impressed that I made it though the thread. I have never had green bean casserole. Where does this dish originate? Anyone know?

:D

I think it originated from the Campbell's Soup Company.

I definitely prefer the french cut to regular cut but I simply distest canned beans. They taste like a can. my grandma and I use the same recipe but she uses canned beans and no one in my family will eat it because the beans get so mushy in a can. On the other hand everyone loves it when I make it and use frozen ones. Obviously most people in this thread would disagree with me on this so it certainly is a preference to how you like your beans in the first place. Extra fried onions is always good. I just use the recipe on the can of Cambell's soup.

A number of years ago a friend told me that she uses a sprinkle of nutmeg on her canned green beans to make them taste less "cannish." I have done it with plain canned green beans (and it's good), but not tried it in this casserole. Might have to do that next time.

I have had some success with getting the really skinny frozen green beans from Trader Joe's not to squeak:), but don't remember seeing french cut frozen green beans. Of course, I grew up on canned blue lake green beans, so there you go. Most other vegetables I prefer frozen or fresh.

Edited by KarenNC

I just love asking a specific question like this here and getting very clear, very passionate responses. Can't wait to see how it turns out. I think I'm going for the canned french style beans and I'm pretty sure I need to throw in some sour cream. Will definitely up the amount of onion topping and will likely throw a few into the body of the casserole as well.

THANKS, Ladies!

I guess I'll just have to work harder on that YMCA "Hold the stuffing" campaign AFTER Thanksgiving. :D