Menu

What music screams "Late 80s"?

My high school reunion is this weekend. I'm in charge of making a playlist for the party. I've got hours and hours of 80s music in my iTunes, but I'd also love to buy some of those classics that I may not own already. (Of course I don't *mind* buying even more 80s music--gotta love those hair bands and sappy pop music of my youth!:D)

Music that screams 80s (not necessarily late 80s):

Devo - Whip it!

The Buggles - Video Killed the Radio Star

Madonna

Prince

The Cars

Huey Lewis and the News

Wham!

Motley Crue

Van Halen

ZZ Top

Rick Springfield

Bryan Adams

Air Supply

The Bangles

Bon Jovi

Chicago

The Cure

Dire Straits

Duran Duran

Foreigner

Billy Idol

Billy Joel

Heart

Journey

Cyndi Lauper

Loverboy

Tom Petty

The Pretenders

Bruce Springsteen

Talking Heads

U2

The Police

REM

Whitney Houston

My dh was playing "name that 80's band" at work just yesterday. How about New Order, Depeche Mode, or the Psychedelic Furs? You could also get some soundtracks to 80's classics like The Breakfast Club, Pretty In Pink, Sixteen Candles, etc. (can you tell I loved Molly Ringwald? :tongue_smilie:).

When I think of late 80's I think of MC Hammer, Vanilla Ice, New Kids, Boys 2 Men, BBD, Color Me Badd...That's all stuff I remember from my 8th grade dances in 89:)

I think I'm too old for some of those. :lol: I graduated high school in '90, my younger sisters were into New Kids. However, I think some of those (Vanilla Ice, Color Me Badd) didn't actually hit it big until the early 90s. In fact, I know Color Me Badd didn't because my best friend went to high school with them. :D

Prince, Poison, Duran Duran, Def Leppard, Bon Jovi, Guns n' Roses, Queen, Madonna, MEATLOAF ohmygosh, you CAN'T have a playlist and omit MEATLOAF's Paradise by the Dashboard Light! Ditto for Mony Mony, although it drives me nuts! And every dance should have as the last song: Led Zeppelin Highway to Heaven! ;)

Van Halen

ZZ Top

Billy Joel

Heart

Journey

Tom Petty

The Pretenders

Bruce Springsteen

U2

I would say that all of the above are pre 80's bands and although they did have big hits in the 80's I think that they are generally considered classic rock.

Hm, I can see some of them being general classic rock-Springsteen, U2, Tom Petty, Billy Joel. Heart was pre-80s, true. Still, if I were making an 80s mix, I would put songs from these bands' hits from the 80s.

But Van Halen? The Pretenders? Journey? ZZ Top? Those are bands that had most of their big hits in the 80s.

Edited by Mrs Mungo
curse you, typos!

I consider 80's music to be stuff my hubby listens to that I would not be caught dead listening to. My life was more the sound track to That 70's Show with a some 60's music thrown in to add a little grit. Think Jimi Hendrix, The Doors, Janis Joplin, Marianne Faithfull and some of John Lennon's songs not Paul McCartney's. :D

I consider 80's music to be stuff my hubby listens to that I would not be caught dead listening to. My life was more the sound track to That 70's Show with a some 60's music thrown in to add a little grit. Think Jimi Hendrix, The Doors, Janis Joplin, Marianne Faithfull and some of John Lennon's songs not Paul McCartney's. :D

So...the problem is-you don't want to admit being a child of the 80s? :lol: I feel you. I cringe when they play crappy 80s hair bands on the classic rock station-I'm always saying that it being old doesn't make it "classic," any more than a Chevy Vega is a classic car, it's just old.

Richard Marx for one thing. Who could resist falling in love in the 80's after listening to Richard Marx?? LOL Milli Vanilli (sp??) is a must have just for the scandal. ;) Anything by Rick Astley, Get Out of My Dreams/Get Into My Car, Van Halen, ZZTop, Cyndi Lauper, She's a Beauty (The Tubes), B52s, I Just Died In Your Arms Tonight, Don't Dream It's Over (Crowded House), Missing You (John Wait), Tina Turner...

We have an enormous 80's playlist in our iPod. LOL!

Oh, must add "Waiting For A Star to Fall" by Boy Meets Girl! Also, I completely agree you must have Journey and Duran Duran. :)

Soundtrack for Secret of My Success should make it easier too. :)

Since I graduated in '90, I'm totally and completely a child/teen of the 80's. I love it! I'd love to see Max Headroom in a comeback along with the California Raisins! LOL

Oh, and Gunz and Roses is most definitely 80's. We sat all hung out at my house listening to them every weekend!

Edited by PinkInTheBlue

So...the problem is-you don't want to admit being a child of the 80s? :lol: I feel you. I cringe when they play crappy 80s hair bands on the classic rock station-I'm always saying that it being old doesn't make it "classic," any more than a Chevy Vega is a classic car, it's just old.

I always find it interesting to see what boxes or labels people stick musical groups into. U2 was considered alternative in the day, now some call them classic? The 80's had hair bands, new wave, punk, alternative, goth, early grunge, techno, dance, etc. Shoot folks like David Bowie (Mr. alternative of the 70's) had a few of his biggest hits in the 80's. I think it's just easier to pick the music, from that time period, that you like and not worry over the labels.

If you've got time to do this, put on pandora.com radio, and select the '80's channel --could give you some inspiration while you multitask :).

--Sad but True Story: I went to a small Christian high school (read: "secular" band t-shirts were not allowed), and took my driver education at the city's (public) central campus. A good number of the kids were wearing "Guns and Roses" t-shirts the day we all signed up.

...I thought Guns and Roses was an anti-violence movement. Not kidding.

<Monty Python voice> I got better... :lol:

I was listening to UB40 ("Red, Red Wine"), Orchestral Maneuvers in the Dark (OMD), and the New Romantics. I also agree with the poster who mentioned that David Bowie had some extremely successful albums that came out in the 1980's. He filled Dodger stadium. (Ask me how I know.)

ETA: Oh! And we listened to Soft Cell. I think I'm having flashbacks now. I wore men's white dinner jackets with....(shudder)....just can't admit what else. I guess "Tainted Love" was early 1980's, but it was so very popular that I couldn't resist reminding y'all of it. Now you can't get it out of your head, can you? It was played numerous times at every dance. Ad nauseum.

Oh, and regarding OMD, we thought we were so cool. So very cool. It pains me to think of it.

Julie

Edited by buddhabelly

Oh no, I'm just old. :001_smile: My hubby is too but I guess he has a broader appreciation for music than I do. I agree with your assessment with regards to old vs. classic. IMO, classic rock is the good old music but I can see where that may be subjective. :tongue_smilie:

If you've got time to do this, put on pandora.com radio, and select the '80's channel --could give you some inspiration while you multitask :).

--Sad but True Story: I went to a small Christian high school (read: "secular" band t-shirts were not allowed), and took my driver education at the city's (public) central campus. A good number of the kids were wearing "Guns and Roses" t-shirts the day we all signed up.

I can one up you...I went to Bob Jones Academy. Yep, that one. The current president of Bob Jones University, Stephen Jones, was a grade ahead of me in high school. I didn't invite him. :D I went back and forth on the kind of music to play, but seriously, we all listened to it and it's one thing that really brings back the memories from my teen years.

But Van Halen? The Pretenders? Journey? ZZ Top? Those are bands that had most of their big hits in the 80s.

All of these bands were already preforming well in the late 70's but yes, they made it really big in the 80's. I guess I just classify them as classic because I was already listening to them as the 80's dawned. ZZ Top is from the same small, TX town that I grew up in so yeah, I probably had a jump start on them. By the way, one of my brothers looks just like that only bigger. He looked liked Uncle Kracker before he grew his long beard.

Since REM, B-52s and INXS were already mentioned, how about:

Ramones

Social Distortion

Sonic Youth

Smiths

Red Hot Chili Peppers

and my personal fav, Husker Du (I :001_wub: Bob Mould)

Now, the Ramones I would consider 70s while I'd consider Sonic Youth, Red Hot Chili Peppers and Social Distortion more bands of the 90s. The Smiths, yes, they are 80s in my mind. I guess when *I* decide what era bands belong to, I group them in where they had their biggest hits/most popular major-label-type/most commercial/mainstream songs. Not saying anyone else is wrong for doing it differently, just thinking out loud why I group bands where I do. :)

Kids-I know what you mean but, like I said, I guess when I group them by era, I go by their hits. Like this! It's sooooooo 80s! The whole socks with heels thing and all? Yeah, 80s.

Edited by Mrs Mungo

Now, the Ramones I would consider 70s while I'd consider Sonic Youth, Red Hot Chili Peppers and Social Distortion more bands of the 90s. The Smiths, yes, they are 80s in my mind. I guess when *I* decide what era bands belong to, I group them in where they had their biggest hits/most popular major-label-type/most commercial/mainstream songs. Not saying anyone else is wrong for doing it differently, just thinking out loud why I group bands where I do. :)

I remember doing a pointillism of the cover of Mother's Milk for art class (and recieving a well deserved A!) and that would have been 1989. The Ramones I'll give you, though. Social D - I remember the hunk-o-junk car I had in high school repeatedly eating my Mommy's Little Monster (or was it called Another State of Mind? I forget...) cassettes.

Edited by LauraGB

Completely off topic, but...Is that a Shaun the Sheep avatar? I absolutely adore Shaun the Sheep. :001_wub:

Anyway, some other bands I thought of:

The Clash, The B-52's, Blondie, Erasure, Flock of Seagulls, and Echo and the Bunnymen.

Kids-I know what you mean but, like I said, I guess when I group them by era, I go by their hits. Like this! It's sooooooo 80s! The whole socks with heels thing and all? Yeah, 80s.

:iagree: on almost all counts: that is definitely a quintessential 80's video, The Ramones more 70's than 80's and Red Hot Chili Peppers definitely 90's but I have no idea who the other two are.:confused:

Did you know that Billy Gibbons makes regular appearances on Bones as Angela's father. He's even cooler today than he was 30 years ago. Another man who has improved with age.

I would include Poison and Europe. :lol:

ETA and Genesis

ETA again Richard Marx

I don't think one should leave out "classic" 80s songs is good just because they don't stink. Not *all* of the 80s music was bad.

I don't think it gets more 80s than Journey. :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNB1EUJg1-w

Edited by Sis

Fair point.:lol: I'm not sure I was all that mainstream back in school so my tastes may be a bit skewed from the norm. :tongue_smilie:

How about REO Speedwagon and Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers?

Edited by LauraGB
added Tom P.

Shoot folks like David Bowie (Mr. alternative of the 70's) had a few of his biggest hits in the 80's.

I think Mr. Bowie defies classification. All of my children (please note ages in siggy) sing, Changes. :001_huh: The oldest are old enough to be aware of his sorted past, the middle two remember him as the creepy guy from Labrynth and the youngest just know him from the medium listed below.

The other day, I heard the 10 year old belting out an old Def Leopard song. When I recovered from the shock, I asked her where in the world she had heard that. Come to find out, Guitar Hero has quite the line up of 70's-80's rock. She knows some Areosmith, Gn'R, and other guitar heavy bands, as well as Mr. Bowie. Who would have ever guessed then that he would be repackaged for children's entertainment?

I don't think it gets more 80s than Journey. :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNB1EUJg1-w

You know, I was thinking about this and even though I started listening to Journey's first successful album Infinity (1978) at about that time, they have more of a 80's sound than any of the other bands I listed. Lights from this album was mine and my 1st hubby's song and we got married in 1981. Good thing we didn't pick Faithfully. I really like Journey but as you can imagine, I have a hard time listening to them now.

Edited by KidsHappen

You know, I was thinking about this and even though I started listening to Journey's first album Infinity (1978) at about that time, they have more of a 80's sound than any of the other bands I listed. Lights from their first album was mine and my 1st hubby's song and we got married in 1981. Good thing we didn't pick Faithfully. I really like Journey but as you can imagine, I have a hard time listening to them now.

Aw...:(

:grouphug:

Watching these old videos, I think it would be *hard* to be an aging rock star. I'd always be thinking "man, I looked GOOD" and "wow, look at my butt, it was fabulous!"

At least they have proof that they did in fact look good at one time. I personally didn't take enough pictures so my kids just have to take my word for it. :D

I don't think Mick Jagger or Steve Tyler realize they are aging. Of course, looking good never was one of their main selling points. I would like to know what they are taking though. I couldn't move like that when I was young. :001_huh:

I tried to keep track of all the suggestions (reminders?? flashbacks??), so forgive me if these have been suggested...

Eurythmics (their biggest hits were more mid-80s, but still....)

A-ha (I just about turned my younger brother into a zombie during my senior year in '87 as I played their album in my car every day to and from school :lol:)