Menu

Help I threw my back out!

Ice.

My first time was Christmas eve a couple years ago. Stress, I guess.

Rest, relax, apply ice.

Your doctor will prescribe medicine and usually no more. A chiropractor will want to to come in several times and get on a monthly maintenance program.

Some exercise help develop the muscles in your back to prevent it.

Definately use ice packs. Take it easy but don't go to bed, that'll just make it worse. I use ginger root, bromelain (pineapple extract), turmeric and devil's claw for my back. If you try Aleve or Motrin, something like that, and it doesn't help, try to get one or more of the above and start them asap. Even if you get to feeling better, take it easy for a few weeks... reduce your squatting, pushing, shoving, or pulling on heavy things. When you get to feeling better you will be prone to a reinjury and that can set you up for cycles of relief/pain.

Ice and anti-inflammatories work for me but only the natural anti-inflammatories. None of the over the counter meds help and nothing a doctor has ever given me help.

Good luck! I'll pray you recover quickly. Back pain is the pits.

Guest janainaz

I have that problem and quite often lately. I had to sleep on my floor this week because I have a pillow-top mattress and it was killing me. Of course, the floor was miserable, too.

I had my son massage my lower back with the rolling pin. Sounds odd, but it sometimes works. This last week he rolled over a spot that felt like I had a nerve completely exposed and I just about died. When my back does that, I literally can't move in any direction without it hurting. I always take ibuprofen, but it does not really work for the most part. My dh told me that a friend of his recommended Aleve. I guess it's the only thing that works for him.

I'm going to try that next time my back starts in again. I do take a hot/warm shower and try to get my back to relax. I've learned it just goes away when it's ready.

Back pain is miserable!

Ice and ibuprofen. You want to knock out the inflammation as soon as possible. Get one of those gel ice packs. Use for 20 min. Get a kid to put it back in the freezer. Repeat within 30-60 min. This will help keep pain at bay and address the inflammation.

Don't use heat until after 48 hours. Keep in mind that you could have a slipped or ruptured disc. That happened to me. It was terrible one morning then I got in the car to go pick up muscle relaxants. Sitting in the car apparently burst it because I would have rather gone through transition again. No choice. If it's a muscle spasm, you might be able to get your doc to prescribe muscle relaxants over the phone. They can help. The only way I could even get into a doctor's was after taking a short course of steroids.

My problem (ruptured disc) was made much worse by chiropractic treatment. I was starting to get better and that set me back 2 weeks. Good physical therapy did help. But it does eventually heal up fine.

Thank you all for you concern and prayers.

Is there any way to tell if it's muscular or not? I cannot tell.

Thanks again.

My chiropractor and dh's doctor had us both (we've both done this at different times) look away while they gently dragged their fingertips down our legs and feet. If it's muscular, you'll feel as soon as they touch you (dh did), if it's not then you won't get the 'news' that they're touching you until after they've already started (I didn't). It's tres bizarre to see someone touching you, my chiropractor had me look after the first three times, and not FEEL them until a few seconds later.

You can't do this, but your dh or an older dc could. They need to touch lightly, both legs/feet at the same time and move their fingertips gently down.

Ice and ibuprofen. You want to knock out the inflammation as soon as possible. Get one of those gel ice packs. Use for 20 min. Get a kid to put it back in the freezer. Repeat within 30-60 min. This will help keep pain at bay and address the inflammation.

Don't use heat until after 48 hours. Keep in mind that you could have a slipped or ruptured disc. That happened to me. It was terrible one morning then I got in the car to go pick up muscle relaxants. Sitting in the car apparently burst it because I would have rather gone through transition again. No choice. If it's a muscle spasm, you might be able to get your doc to prescribe muscle relaxants over the phone. They can help. The only way I could even get into a doctor's was after taking a short course of steroids.

My problem (ruptured disc) was made much worse by chiropractic treatment. I was starting to get better and that set me back 2 weeks. Good physical therapy did help. But it does eventually heal up fine.

I agree with this advice. This is what I was told when it happened to me and it worked. I added arnica cream as well and I believe it helped in healing me fast. When you are better, start a gentle exercise regime to help strengthen your back. If the problem persists, then definitely get yourself to your doctor's.

If it is a muscle spasm, muscle relaxants. Those are prescription medicines and most make you very sleepy. I have learned from bad experience that not treating muscle spasms appropriately leads to worse problems like nerve problems. Those are even worse since there is little relief for them and they tend to worsen at night. Prayers for quick relief.

Re. concerns about a chiropractor making it worse. Every single chiropractor I've gone to would not treat me unless there was an x-ray first. They will check on things like a slipped or ruptured disk. If a chiropractor did not want to schedule a back x-ray first, then I would not go to them.

Mine gave me an x-ray first as well. When I have back trouble, it's always in the one spot that he said had a bulging disc. He taught me a lot about the importance of lifting propery and even getting out of a vehicle properly. He also hosts free nutrition clinics as he says that without proper nutrition and increased range of motion (through good exercise), he can do little to help a person.

Thank you all for your fantastic advice. I am still in bed and very bored. Going to the bathroom is a huge and painful deal.

I have taken advil and used ice consistently. I have muscle relaxants I'm about to take.

I think I need to change my chiropractor, as much as I love her. She is very straightforward in her adjustments - hands only; would never xray and doesn't give much advice.

Did I mention I just got my period? :001_huh: