Menu

History/ Science...In a workbook???

Mommyfaithe

OK.... I admit defeat. Please share with me your favorite history or science workbooks. I need ones that are basically independent for the student and not twaddly. I would like some research involved, but which can be done with the google search. It would be nice if it had EASY project suggestions...or crafty work pages.

This would be for my 6th grade dd. I need to get these subjects done, but she needs my concentrated effort on the 3 r's. For Hx and Science, I just want her to get it done and learn some independence. Any ideas??

Thanks,

Faithe

I hear you!

We're using Landmark Freedom Baptist Curriculum physical science. I looked at it at the homeschool convention and thought it looked just like what we needed - science done 2-4x/wk with short reading & answering questions/lesson with quiz every 5th day, tests every 9 wks. It can be done independently. We skip writing the definitions and most experiments. I put a star next to every questions on the worksheet that will be asked on the weekly quiz. We watch on Youtube Bill Nye and Eureka science during lunch 2-4x/wk to corr. to our weekly science lesson.

I suggest looking at LFBC a grade or two above level because it's very easy. It's also available at CBD: http://www.christianbook.com/Christian/Books/product?item_no=31796

My 6th grade daughter is using:

Lyrical Life Science Vol 1-3 this year. She is doing online labs that I went through and correlated - the labs are with Adaptive Curriculum.

I also went though and found online links for her earlier this year. In addition, there are a few hands-on labs that I picked out from Home Science Tools catalog to boost the curriculum.

If you are interested in my schedule (I have Vol 1 done so far) let me know and I'll gladly share.

"learning about our solar system" by Mark Twain Media Pub. (through RR but I have found their website). This was a great workbook for grades "4-8". Ds is advanced 5th and this was a perfect fit. We supplemented with LOTS of Netflix Universe DVD's (forgot the exact title)

In fact, I will most likely purchase their weather workbook.

For My little two, we purchased the "big book solar system" (through RR, which was just OK)

HTH!:)

For history we use Memoria Press' Famous Men of ... series, along with their corresponding study guides and teacher's guides.

For science we use books by John Hudson Tiner.

This gives us worksheets and portfolio material in these two subjects.

We supplement with lots of library books and videos, for which there are no workbooks.

CHOW and the correlating workbook form Calvert? I think it’s a fourth grade level in actuality, but that shouldn’t matter. I’m not sure though.

Famous Men looks promising. I plan to have my boys do those books when the time comes.

I actually plan to have my dd do Calendar Quest next year along with the corresponding guide, What Every Child Needs to Know about Western Civilization. I think we will skip the Historical Headgear book, I don’t see us making that many hats. LOL.

For science, Singapore Science has textbooks and student workbooks that are excellent. We used some and were very impressed with the quality.

Actually, The Elements by Ellen Mc Henry is not really a workbook but it is written to the student and they can write in it, or you can make copies of the activity pages, and I highly recommend it.

Hugs, workbooks are not such a bad thing.:grouphug: Independence in studies is vital as they move towards the high school years anyway. ;)

we are going workbook route after this week do to travel plans for the next three months. I am using A Beka for science and history. I already had my daughter work in some of the chapters and it's going well. Nice for those 'quick' school days that we tend to have while traveling. I personally cannot go w/o some type of schooling and I have done lifepacs in the past but Ireally like the A Beka stuff

I haven't used these MP books yet, but I have used Tiner and it could provide a workbook base for your science studies. I would add in further reading, movies, etc., but it at least gives you a base.

I didn't notice what age your child is, but McGraw Hill's Complete Book of Science 1/2, 3/4 and now 5/6 has lots of activities on various science topics. You need reading, etc. to go along with those, as well (but I believe the newer editions have at least some website recommendations, if not books.

Several in recent days have posted about Mr. Q's science materials. The online life science is downloadable and free. It's geared toward elementary but could be used with a fifth grader, as well.

Oregon State has a website called Volcano World that covers a full year's worth of earth science work. There are online things to read and downloadable questions, tests, experiments, and activities. Geared toward middle school.

NASA has a similar online astronomy program. I can't recall the name right now, but if you are interested, I can look it up for you.

I realize I'm a bit late here (I was away from the boards for a few days) but we did American History for my eldest with a workbook. All American History. She does history with just the facts. However, my younger one, who did this as well, really enjoyed the extra reading. There are long reading lists for each unit, and it's 3 tiered (elementary/middle/high school). Also, if you get more interested later, there are activity suggestions in the TM as well.

Can't help you with the science, though.

I didn't notice what age your child is, but McGraw Hill's Complete Book of Science 1/2, 3/4 and now 5/6 has lots of activities on various science topics. You need reading, etc. to go along with those, as well (but I believe the newer editions have at least some website recommendations, if not books.

We did the animal kingdom one for 1st grade and kiddo was very proud of himself. No groans at ALL.

http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Book-Animals/dp/156189544X/ref=pd_sim_b_1

Edited by kalanamak

CLE science is VERY thorough at that age, and is pretty much completely independant. If you don't mind wading through the "God did/made ____..." stuff, the actual science part of it is REALLY good. We weren't even considering it until we had almost the entire 6th & 7th grade levels all but fall in our laps for $1 per lightunit, but once we had it, we discovered jut how well done it is.

I hear you!

We're using Landmark Freedom Baptist Curriculum physical science. I looked at it at the homeschool convention and thought it looked just like what we needed - science done 2-4x/wk with short reading & answering questions/lesson with quiz every 5th day, tests every 9 wks. It can be done independently. We skip writing the definitions and most experiments. I put a star next to every questions on the worksheet that will be asked on the weekly quiz. We watch on Youtube Bill Nye and Eureka science during lunch 2-4x/wk to corr. to our weekly science lesson.

I suggest looking at LFBC a grade or two above level because it's very easy. It's also available at CBD: http://www.christianbook.com/Christian/Books/product?item_no=31796

My older DD uses LFBC for history and it's great! As pp stated, we go up 1-2 grade levels. It's chronological and very well organized which makes it easy to supplement with literature or projects as time allows. DD outlines the lessons in addition to answering the workbook questions and works completely independently.

My younger DD is a kinesthetic learner - she loves the multi-sensory approach of computer learning - and she hates history so I admitted defeat and bought her Switched On Schoolhouse for history. It's not classical, but this year she's learning all the continents, oceans, deserts, grasslands, rain forests, and geographical terms like peninsula, isthmus and archipelago. We're going to use BJU for history next year, but I think we'll use SOS for science (lab kits are available from homesciencetools.com). It's going great!

Alpha Omega's Lifepacs might be a good fit if you'd not mind a Christian curriculum. They are designed for independent learning. I'm not sure if they include hands on projects, however.

:iagree: I personally can't stand them, but they sound like they would fit what you want.

Plato science (available through Homeschoolers buyers coop) would also be a good science choice. (in my opinion, much better than the lifepacs)

Does it matter what part of the history cycle? How about BJU 6 Heritage studies? She could read the chapter and do the corresponding workbook page from the activity book. This is what I am planning for 6th next year. I'll add literature and writing but it should be easy to control how much or little gets added. My dd10 wants to just get history done and I think this will accomplish it.

Carolyn

Dot just finished CLE Science 101, andI was flipping through the teaacher's guide at the rest of the year's material. The 101 and 102 books are very baby-ish, but the 103-105 books are actually pretty good. In fact, the 105 books introduces music as a science and presents the basics of reading the scale. :001_smile:

My 6th grade dds are using Oak Meadow's Life Science, and while it's not really "workbooky," it IS very independent--they even get to choose which of the assignment options to do. I am very happy with the rigor of the program as well as with the level of (non)involvement it requires of me. :)

They are also using All American History I this year, as part of a co-op, but we were planning to use it anyway before the co-op adopted it. It too is set up to be very independent, and has excellent workpages to reinforce the reading, as well as extras that can be added to make the program more rigorous for an older or more advanced student.

All the best to you in your search--I hope you find what you're looking for quickly. :001_smile: